Can Lex be demoted as a mentor? He's gone too soft (and Earth-3 story fail)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by WildPegasusrs, Nov 16, 2017.

1. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

Upon finishing the new episode it is clear Luthor has no business being a mentor to villains anymore, he should be replaced by someone like Grodd.
    How can he find Earth-3 Gotham being too much for his taste, it's not even half as bad as alternate reality Gotham? There was basically nothing gone too far in what he saw unless he is a softie.

Which brings to the point of the story failure as part of the villain side which makes no sense at all. Earth is not going to explode on the contrary, villainy is about to take it over and we're going to stop it? Really? This episode more than any other before is facepalming as a villain.
    You could have had an episode where villains would side with Ultraman and his buddies while heroes would side with Lex having HIS (not ours) own agenda and pretend to do it for the better good. But nope, might as well remove the villain faction at this point as it serves no purpose except just being there just like some government saying "we're not sexist, we also have wome... a woman among us...somewhere over there...I think".
    That or make an update enabling players to create and share their own storyline missions not to have to cope with the one sided one or having to pretend we're fighting the Snyderverse version of the heroes which might not be too far from Earth 3.

If it's for content like that, the devs should not waste resources on story creation and just slap some quickly conceived instances with no backstory whatsoever and the involment would be just the same: get through the grind to get the Gear and move on to next gear released. It would save time and bring updates quicker.
    • Like x 9
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Villains in general are too soft in this game.

"The Justice league needs help!-"
    "Say no more, im on it."
    • Like x 5
  3. OhSicks Well-Known Player

Agreed, it's more Heroes and Anti-Heroes in the newer content. Everyone is becoming a Hero, some of us just aren't goody-two-shoes-esque heroes and don't really like the goody-two-shoes Heroes ;)
    • Like x 2
  4. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

While we're on this subject of hero vs. villain content and possibly the suicide squad combination missions: Why do heroes attack Wonder Woman and help Circe take the Victory Stone in Trigon's Prison when we team up with villains? I have a difficult time coming up with a backstory for that instance.
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Amanda Waller: "do it or I'll blow your head off."

Basically what went down
    • Like x 6
  6. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

This storyline is actually lore. It loosely follows the "Forever Evil" Storyline. The Crime Syndicate does NOT play well with Villains that are not in the Crime Syndicate. In this particular crossover, they fought the Secret Society lead by Lex Luthor. Additionally, the heroes and Villains did have to work together:

[IMG]

Also, : The Society vs. the Crime Syndicate:
    [IMG]

Now while I agree that there should be more incentive for being a villain. Ain't nothing wrong with the storyline.
    • Like x 5
  7. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

Yeah, that can be the story behind all of the suicide squad pairings, but some make sense in terms of what Waller has to gain from it while others do not.
  8. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I rpg my villain, since most of the stories involve me helping heroes.
  9. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

For some missions, that would make sense. However, there are some Villains that are so bad, we don't need the threat of having our head blown off. Brainiac, Darkseid, Crime Syndicate, Anti-Monitor, etc. are not looking for allies. If these guys are coming, by the time they are done with the Earth, there will be nothing left to rob or pillage. Throughout the Lore, these Omega Level Villains, are opposed by Villains.

Furthermore, if I were to see any of the above Villains, create some sort of alliance with Earth's Heroes or Villains, THAT would not be believable. That would be blasphemy of the highest order and not harmonize with established lore.
  10. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Ahhh where to start..

Okay admittedly villain content is slim to even none in the game but have you ever seen the original Promo for this game?

When this game went LIVE the entire thing was based on the idea that Hero ? Villain? who ever needed to concentrate on one HUGE problem .. BRAINIAC. All of us, hero or villain, had our new found powers thanks to future Lex sprinkling exobytes into the air to create more super powered being to defeat him. If that means that at times we have the EXACT same goals to accomplish what is the problem? There are a ton of examples in the actual comic books and animated TV and movies this game is based on where the the Villains teamed up with the heroes.. Did they LIKE each other? NO But when its a matter of team up and beat the even badder guy of find a new planet to live on... You TEAM UP.

Now again... admittedly most content in this game is geared toward Heroes and if they make ANY changes at all they are minor one so make it seem like the villains have their own. There are exceptions though... The Wasteland.... Do the villains battle Circe at the end or the Trigon's Prison alert? NO they battle Wonder Woman. Gotham Under Siege... Do the Villains have the exact same contacts and run the exact same missions as the Heroes? No they have their own roof top HQ and run their own set of missions. And LOOK at Riddled with Crime....... The whole thing revolves around a gang war between Joker and Riddler and part of that actually has the HEROES going to Two Face or the Penguin and "pretending" to help them.

Now DLC 29 makes perfect sense ... Villains spend almost as much time battling each other for "the ULTIMATE control" as they do battling the good guys trying to stop them. YES a lot more content in the game revolves around Heroes and they kind of just add Villains in on the side. Look at the state of this game... With all the money grabs we see these days if it has no sunk in yet that the game is struggling to survive .. WAKE UP! So since the vast majority of the game population is playing heroes and you have a limited amount of time, money and stuff to produce ANY new content.. do you gear that toward the largest portion of your customers or the small portion? I took business classes in College so allow me to reassure you... the money goes to the LARGER population. Keep the majority of your client base happy.

Now in the OLD days when they had a larger staff and money to burn.. IF THAT EVER WAS THE CASE... yes they could have done something completely different for Villain side. These days when we get anything at all that is NEW to play ... PLAY IT and be happy the game still even exists.
    • Like x 1
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Agree. The most villainy thing you can do is push a jumper off a building.

I've posted this in other threads. I'm so ready for Lobo to attack. F$#@ Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. There is nothing soft about Lobo.

I soooo want a Lobo DLC. :)
    • Like x 1
  12. AnonymousEUPS Dedicated Player

DC lore > what you want... If you don’t like the premise of the whole game or DC lore then you’re playing the wrong game.
    • Like x 1
  13. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

WOOOOOOO!! (Ric Flair voice)
  14. Charger New Player

I dunno my villain's lore sees himself as a hero but is only a villain because he kills and doesn't care about collateral damage and is only in it for the fortune and fame of being a hero. It'd make sense for Lex Luthor to mentor that character and any opportunity to do that and get notoriety he'd jump at the chance. The only other thing he wants is to kill his more ACTUALLY heroic older brother with the same powers. So Luthor can stay as a mentor and notice he's the ONLY villain to go with the heroes to Earth-3?

I know they're basing this in part on Earth-2 by Morrison and Forever Evil by Johns, but I see your point of the lack of genuine "destroy the world" kind of things villain players get to do: They don't really get to rob a bank anymore, don't really get to enact our own plans to want to blow up the world, going on a killing spree to be stopped by Batman, none of that. While DC heroes are the majority of the player base, the last genuinely villainous content we got to do was Harley's Heist as a Duo and I think that was it.
  15. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Lex is a villain but he is not particularly interested in senseless murder. THe crime syndicate are as evil as they come. One investigation described Johnny quick dragging a kids mother at super speed on the ground in front of him. That's evil for the sake of evil. They wake up in the morning trying to figure out how to make peoples lives miserable. Lex is more I want to rule the world and wants the public to like him while he does it.
    • Like x 1
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Demoted as a mentor? lol cmon now. After level 30 the mentor means nothing anyways. Every episode in this game and even the overall story of the game is the same. As a hero stop the villains who want to cause chaos. Villains cause chaos for the heroes to stop/clean up. Everyone try to stop the guy/gal who is trying to destroy the world or obtain some kind of weapon, artifact, machine, etc that will destroy the world. Besides origin stories this is pretty much the premise of all super hero/villain stories.

Also, like someone else pointed out, its the lore. Read the comics and u easily see this. That is what this game is based on after all ;) Lastly i dont think any customer has any idea what is wasting time or would bring episodes and updates to the game faster. Just saying.
  17. Wallachia Devoted Player

I don't care, I'm a hero now.

Huehuehue
  18. TheDrone Well-Known Player

I find the Earth 3 storyline completely idiotic from a Villain perspective.

There's a low-level Daily Mission for Heroes to do 4 Heroic Acts. The Villains get the exact same mission except that instead of Heroic Acts, it's Villainous Acts. Heroes stop robberies, Villains commit them. Heroes save suicidal civilians, Villains convince them to jump.

This DLC has several missions that should work in exactly the same way. Heroes save civilians from Ultra-Man's orbital strike. Villains should make sure they can't get away from it. Heroes rescue civilians strapped to dynamite. Villains should set it off. Heroes break Commissioner Gordon's equipment. Villains should repair it.

This is how things should be throughout the entire game, but I understand why it's not that way. It would take twice as much time to develop a Hero mission and a separate Villain mission. But, in cases like this, it wouldn't take twice as long. It would take about 5% longer. I assume, currently they make a Hero mission. To make it also a Villain mission, they essentially copy/paste it and then manually change all instances of Hero with Villain as well as change the name. It wouldn't take much effort to change the text that goes with it. Protect 10 civilians from Ultra-Man would become Help Ultra-Man kill 10 civilians. After that, you can change the animation when you click the civilian from knocking them away to knocking them to the ground. I wouldn't expect that to have a significant effect on development time when you consider that it would be a half dozen missions every few months. And it would add a very significant amount to player immersion. It just feels wrong when my Villain is walking down the streets and says, "Oh, no ... that civilian needs help. Let me jump to the rescue."
    • Like x 1
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

You’re doing it to earn the JL’s trust on Luthor’s orders. Only rubbish villains do evil for the sake of doing evil in my opinion.
    • Like x 2
  20. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

[IMG]