Can I just say.....

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by bagofboom, Oct 13, 2016.

1. bagofboom Committed Player

Yesterday, on an Alt, I got to run Desecrated Cathedral @ level with 3 other players (random queue) also at level.
    We had each role, a Tank, Healer, Troll and myself as a dps. Each of us were 122-133 cr.
    IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!
    The first run was a disaster. First boss (Jared) KO'd us in a matter of moments and two group members instantly went to the "we're not going to be able to do this" mentality. I spoke up and reminded everyone that when DC dropped we were all at this same level and beat it. I advised them (politely) of the mechanics and a strategy to take and told them we were all doing fine, we were all capable and we could get it done.
    We did!! They all did an awesome job.
    It took awhile, even adds were a grind, but we finally beat Raven and it was high fives all around. A smooth, clean very exciting run. Roughly 40 minutes. A FUN 40 minutes!!
    I make this thread because so often this game and it's player base devolve into a "faster is better" mentality and we burn through an instance as quickly as possible just to run to the next piece of content as quickly as possible. LFG swells with "Need roles @ 175 cr 200+ sp". Even lower tier content has super high levels destroying everything in sight regardless of the other group members levels.
    It was nice, almost cathartic, to run with players of my own Cr level for a change. The challenge made it exciting, exhilarating even. An awesome change of pace from the norm.
    Not long ago, a very nice young lady was shouting for help with some t5 or t6 duos (something like that), I agreed to help and when we grouped up she asked me if I'd be willing to drop some gear to be at her level. She wanted to enjoy the instance. To learn it. To learn her role. I mean, how bizarre right!? Someone wanting to actually better herself and even though it took longer, it was more fun!! I forget what her name was but I commend her for her desire to PLAY THE GAME for how it was meant to be played!
    I'd love to do these types of things more often. I'd so much rather take an hour in a blood, sweat and tears grind than to whip through something in 5 to 10 minutes and feel little to no satisfaction for my time.
    THANK YOU to those young men from yesterday (or ladies, not sure honestly) and the young lady from a while back that truly helped me enjoy this awesome game of ours again, and for making it "Fun" rather than just a "Run"!!!

Apologies for the longwindedness (not a real word) of this post, but I really wanted to put this out there. Hopefully, in some way, some players will see this and decide for themselves to try this from time to time. To run again the way each piece of content was meant to be run and not to make each instance a "McDonald's Drive Thru" and get in and out ASAP.
    SO MUCH FUN!!!!!
    :D:eek::):p;):cool:
    • Like x 7
  2. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

You wash your mouth out!

DCUO isn't about fun....it's supposed to be about finding the quickest way to get carried to max CR, so that one can look down upon, and shun, lower CR players whilst whining about things too easy.
    • Like x 2
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

A DCUO run that is about having fun instead of roflstomping everything?

BLASPHEMY! BURN HIM!
    • Like x 1
  4. Balistical lce Well-Known Player

I agree with them. ^^

But I'm glad you had fun. I can't wait to play all the new content coming up. I hope I have as much fun as you did
  5. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

I understand what you mean. I will be sure to ask others if they want me to rush it or not when I carry low CR people. :D
    • Like x 1
  6. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Ur sawft ;)
    • Like x 2
  7. bagofboom Committed Player

You do realize they were being facetious.....don't you? o_O

And yes, I imagine the upcoming AF3 will (or should) feel similar to that. Look, I'm guilty of burning through stuff on a daily basis myself, but it took me leveling an Alt with some newer players to fully see what I was missing. I've been here for years (since ftp) and I've gone through so many changes and playstyles and ups and downs that even though I'm madly in love with DCUO, I've gotten stagnant in my gaming and zombied through stuff for the last year or so.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the grind again, the struggle, the adds that would almost wipe us, HAVING to block or DIE, praying my Supply Drop would come off cool down, breaking out of stuns to pick up a team mate. All of that had meaning again
    and it was awesome.
    Sorry if that seems melodramatic but for a moment I was brand new. And THAT was very cool.

P.s. The madly in love part up there would pizz my wife off a bit so let's keep that to ourselves. :D
  8. Balistical lce Well-Known Player

Lol, yes, I do realize what they were doing. I on the other hand was just being sarcastic about it. But yes, I cannot wait to try out this game when Stats Matter launches. Hopefully it will feel like the old days again. And no worries, your secret is safe with me.
  9. bagofboom Committed Player

Bump

(Because I desperately crave attention)
    (JK, just want the OP read a few more times by a few more people)
    (Ok, so I guess that DOES mean I crave attention, sorry)
    ;)