Calling Allies into their own storyline

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Leonite, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Leonite Well-Known Player

Is it just me or do other people also find it weird to summon (for example) cyborg in a storyline where he is already with you? Or multiple players summoning the same ally? Or worse, summoning professor zoom to fight professor zoom! LOL

Maybe an easy fix to the first issue would be to teleport the current hero to your side to do his/her thing (they do little in storyline combat anyway) but that means only one player at a time can summon said hero - this may not be a huge problem in instances but could be in open world maps though. It also doesn't address the hero fighting itself. But I am not looking to get this changed because I'm sure it will just result to more players disagreeing than agreeing to the change.

Anyway, am just wondering, does anyone else find this situation "broken" too? How do you explain this to yourself and accept seeing multiple NPCs of the same hero from the same universe engaged in combat with the same enemy (or even itself) at the same time?
    • Like x 1
  2. GermanM Committed Player

Maybe they are remnants from another time line, or from another earth of the multiverse.
    • Like x 3
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

How can there be multiple Batman?? Superman?? Krypto???

Solution is simple.... in one word....

Multiverse ;)

One word to summon them all....
    One word to find them...
    One word to bring them all...
    And under your control... bind them...
    In the Multiverse of DCUO where EEViLLL Villains lie. ;)
    • Like x 4
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

This was brought up when allies were first on test. It's very immersion breaking and they don't care.
  5. GermanM Committed Player

They only care about milking player´s money every time they release a new Batman.
    • Like x 1
  6. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

I can see how it would be immersion breaking to some, but for the same reason others have pointed out, it really isn't to me. I mean.... having an army of Batmen from across the Multiverse come in like the ending of Endgame or Bombshell Wonder Woman helping you break up a fight between Flashpoint Wonder Woman and Poseidon and then going back to meet up with them, Red Sun Wonder Woman, Nubia, and the main universe Wonder Woman is fine and not immersion breaking but Professor Zoom, a character who's whole deal is being all over time and the Multiverse, being there twice is too far? Especially with how much focus the Multiverse is getting lately, it's very easy to make a logical personal explanation for it IMO. Heck, a lot of my own toons are Multiversal characters themselves. My character HLADamian is an elseworld Damian/Robin that's essentially an Injustice or Justice Lords type deal and I frequently run into Iconic Damian/Robin while playing him. Another toon, BGKarma, is an elseworld Punisher-y version of Babs and I don't find it weird at all to play her fighting through robots in the Clocktower to rescue herself because... well... elseworld. Others are even from a good bit in the future and are descendents and successors to the mantles of other characters Batman Beyond style, so I end up being a woman Nightwing from the future talking to Iconic Nightwing, or Supergirl of the future talking to Iconic Supergirl, or Batgirl talking to another Batgirl. With all of this going on and seeing two Guy Gardners chatting in the HOL, more than one Superman in the battlefield isn't all that crazy to me, tbh. Heck, don't even have to get into the Multiverse for certain allies. Like.... I don't find it hard to believe Babs and Calc could maybe have more than one robot to send out to help ya.

As much as I loooove the Batfam, I def don't disagree on being tired of having half the allies being variations of Batman, though. Once they release the regular/main universe Batsy, that's more than enough lmao. Like... give us other Batfamily members like Nightwing or Robin or Huntress or so on, sure, but I'm good on ol' Bats himself already lmao. And for me to be saying that is.... notable tbh. Takes quite a lot to get me burnt out on Batmania lmao. In DCUO's case, I'm actually more hungry for Supes content due to my early experiences in the game lmao. When I first started seriously playing and made a toon with each mentor at least once to start with, Clark was still "dead" and so when my first toon with him as mentor got to level 30, I was robbed of that big moment with him that I'd had with the others and instead just kinda.... anticlimactically got to read his tombstone. The moment he was added back to the Watchtower, I made another toon with him immediately to finally get that big moment lmao. The whole thing left me with quite an itch for any new content related to him and/or related characters like Kara or Lois or Jimmy. I lost my mind when they did the episode spotlight and gave us Streaky and mini-Doomsday base pets lmao. Really breathed new life into Doomed Metropolis, too. Felt like the open world of a brand new episode for that week and a while after as people worked to get the new stuff. I'd love to see more episode spotlights of that nature occasionally. It would be a lot to expect from every episode spotlight bonus week every time, but it would be great as a special thing every so often, even if it's very rare. Instead of the umpteenth Batman ally, I wanna see stuff like Red Son Supes or Supergirl or Powergirl or Streaky or even something as whacky as Comet or the monkey sometime. Hopefully after this next Batsy, we'll get more non-Batsy allies lmao. Plus we still need the other mentors now that we have Clark and are getting him.
    • Like x 1
  7. Leonite Well-Known Player

The different batmen are fine. We all understand, they are from different universes. But having two death metal batmen in the fight is different.
  8. GermanM Committed Player

Even eight if all players in a raid have the same Ally.
  9. GermanM Committed Player

Time line remanent is better, see:

10. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

?? Not really.

The very first thing the game does is introduce players to......

the Multiverse.

Earth..... the center of the Multiverse.
    We get that little clip right at the start of the game.

And later we get Origin Crisis and the Council of Batman or Luthor.
    We got the Earth 3 DLC and Earth 3 Gotham.
    We got World of Flashpoint and Flashpoint Gotham.

If people don't know about the Multiverse by now........ :confused:

Heck..... we can call Flashpoint Batman...... Flashpoint Wonder Woman.....
    That alone demonstrate that we do not just pick up the phone to call them Allies.
    We call Flashpoint Batman from the Flashpoint Universe from alllll the way across the Multiverse.

..... and same for the other Allies.

So obviously.... we can call Allies from across the Multiverse.

Yes soon you will be able to call Batman even if Batman is already in the mission..... but it could be Batman from Earth 2053..... 3000..... 5344... and more.
    So if you see multiple Batman.... not hard to think they come from different Earths from across the Multiverse. ;)
    • Like x 1
  11. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Not different.

To quote Fringe....

There's more then one of everything.

Even Metal Batman. ;)
    • Like x 1
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Even 9 if all 8 players have the same Ally.... and the Ally is already in the mission.

Heck in Origin Crisis Nexus you have 5 Batman NPCs.... +8 Batman Allies from players. ;)
    • Like x 1
  13. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, I mean... how many universes are there that have Powergirl? Her whole character is that she's a slightly older Supergirl from a destroyed universe. So for every universe that has Powergirl, that's another Earth 2 that's been destroyed. That or the Multiverse just like.... copy-pastes all the people and their life experiences up to the point where the new universe starts and diverges from another one.... ok NOW my brain is starting to hurt.....
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Off the top of my head....

Pre Crisis Power Girl.... Earth 2 older Supergirl
    Post Crisis Power Girl.... Atlantean descendant of Arion
    Galatea.... from Justice League Unlimited
    Power Girl in JLA Another Nail.....

Heck there probably was a version of Power Girl in every Elseworlds...

Power Girl in Kingdom Come
    Bombshell Power Girl from the Bombshell DC Comics.

And more!!!! ;)

Infinite Universes pretty much means infinite versions of Power Girl....
    and many looking pretty much the same like
    the main Power Girl and the Power Girl from Another Nail.

In an infinite Multiverse.... plenty of Power Girls would look like identical twins. ;)
    • Like x 1
  15. Leonite Well-Known Player

Like I said, we all understand the multiverse now. But you must admit that even the game avoids the same batman appearing at one time. In Nexus, all 5 batmen are different kinds of batmen. In DM, all 16 batmen are different flavors of heroes and villain batmen. The Wonderwomen in Wonderverse are all unique, too.

Only the introduction of allies allowed the same hero/villain to appear at the same time and so it really felt like it broke something.
  16. Starry Knight Active Player

She was called Power Girl before Earth 2 got destroyed though.

The Atlantean thing got retconned sometime before Infinite Crisis. Basically it was a relic from DC's trying to insist that Superman wsa the last Kryptonian* and when they finally gave up on that she was reverted to being from Earth 2 Kryton again. The weird part was that the stories where (being Atlantean at the time) she was unaffected by Kryptonite were still canon, so they came up with the explanation that Kryptonite had to be from the same universe as the Kryptonian to work on them, but then they ignored that for all of the others.

*That's why we had the increasingly convoluted members of the Superfamily. It started with the post-crisis Supergirl, a shapeshifting protoplasm named Matrix from a Pocket Universe that was part of the Legion of Superheroes mythos, then came Superboy - a sort of cloned human with bits of Superman's DNA grafted into him, Then the above Supergirl merged with Linda Danvers and the two became an angel Supergirl, before they split apart again with Matrix getting the angel powers and Linda getting a weakened version of the regular Super powerset. (I should note that for all of the above, all of the 'regular Super powerset' were claimed to be unusual applications of telekinesis, no, really - before DC realised nobody was buying it and that got reduced to being a lesser power of Superboy's that he just liked bringing up in every sentence and got to keep due to his non-Kryptonian origin.)

And then Linda met a displaced Earth 1 Kara whose ship had veered off course, travelled to Earth 1 in her place and had a thing with that Superman, and they had a kid who ended up being the Supergirl of a future universe that everyone had already stopped caring about even as that storyline happened. And she failed to save Earth 1 Kara and lost her daughter (literally - and apparently it really didn't occur to Hal Jordan {who was The Spectre at the time and also the one that took her to safety} to tell her where she was) and then gave up heroics (although did reappear in a story several years later having regained her angel powers which I assume was the result of writer and editor having not read the book where she lost them in the first place).

And then a new Supergirl was introduced who initially seemed to be the time-displaced daughter of Clark and Lois but was then revealed to have a similar origin to Superboy (who I think was just about going by Conner at this point), and then she threw herself into a time eddy and erased herself (and one of the Brainiacs) from existence.

And then we finally had a new Kryptonian Supergirl as New Earth Kara arrived, only DC decided to distinguish her from her Earth 1 counterpart by making her 'edgy', vastly overshot the mark, and made her unlikable, leaving the people that took over that book around issue 20 the nightmare task of fixing the damage. And we had a new Kyptonian Nightwing a bit later when (owing to a rights issue) they'd killed Superboy and needed someone to fill the gap in the Super books.

Compared to all of that, Power Girl was actually fairly stable. If nothing else, we didn't get a different Power Girl until late in the New 52.
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

In the infinite Multiverse.... there is at least 1 universe where the Atlantean Power Girl was not retconned. ;)
  18. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Calling in Cyborg to help in a mission that already features Cyborg is bad storytelling, plain and simple.

It really is too bad they didn't take the wonderful opportunity that the Allies feature presented by introducing characters not likely to be featured in the game otherwise.
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Not really.

What we have in game is Cyborg from DCUO Earth.... I forget the actual number so let's call it Earth 2011

We summon Cyborg from Earth 0.
    [IMG]

It all works out. ;)
  20. Eve YouTuber

I know that in Legends PvE you can't for example use Wonder Woman in Trigon's Prison Legends version of the alert. But you can Bombshell Diana (Which makes more sense because she is not the same Wonder Woman). I am not really sure what the deal with allies is though, because the Cyborg we have now is not multiversal (Not like we use Flashpoint Cyborg or anything) so It's like a paradox lol