Calling all DC fans who love making iconics

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DC REBIRTH, Sep 26, 2018.

1. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

We love our iconics, but its so hard to find like minded iconic lovers in numbers on at the same time. There just are not enough people playing. According to steam charts, there are only avout 600 people playing at peak times. In the beginning, the police stations outside could not hold the amount of players on.

Lets sit down and have a get-together so we can build our iconic community in numbers. I have an idea and want to talk to you about it.

Pm me if interested. I have played this game since launch.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

At the risk of getting off your topic, I wouldn't hold too much faith in Steam numbers. Not all PC players use Steam to play the game and the PS platform tends to have more players on it (and we can't track concurrent PS users). Steam numbers just aren't any sort of accurate measurement of players by any means.

On top of that ANY game is going to have bunches of players in the starting areas when it first starts out. After that? It'll decline, especially as the years go by. There's a variety of reasons as to why it happens, but it happens, plain and simple.

As for a lack of iconic characters? I've lost count of the number of variations I've seen for Superman, Batman, Flash (Wally and Barry), Superboy, Robin (LOTS of Damien Waynes) and the like. Lots of lookalikes, lots of interesting name spellings, seen all over the place while running content. They're out there.
    • Like x 1
  3. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Here's the official color palette from 1982...

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  4. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Plenty of hero players, including many iconic variants, stand around outside Little Bohemia PD, taking in the sun.
    • Like x 1
  5. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

Well, thats quite boring. Standing around in a videogame?
    Lmao.
    • Like x 1
  6. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

I thought the point to a game was to play it. Not leave a character in idle doing nothing.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Different people have different ways of having fun when playing games. And even in a game like DCUO that's more themepark in nature than sandbox, MMOs tend to be pretty forgiving in how they allow players to have and find their own version of fun.

At the end of the day, it's their character, their account and their time.
    • Like x 3
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

That's right...

*stands with broker window open hitting refresh ever few seconds.*
    • Like x 1
  9. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

Thats called being bored.
  10. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

People shocked and stunned to learn MMORPG players are often social.

Film at 11.
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

For you, perhaps. But that's you, and the only person you can speak for is yourself. It's generally a bad idea to try and speak for others, especially when it comes to subjective things like what's fun or what's boring.
    • Like x 2
  12. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

No. I play mmos that actually have a "Higher Population" where people are actually doing task in game. Eso too is an mmo with social aspects. But you dont see people just idle. They are running content.

If we are being honest here, this gane does not really have a hi population. There are no more than 900 people on this game simulatneously regarding pc and ps. I think the lack of population probably kills youre queuing. There just are not enough people playing. I mean you're lying to youreself if you think this game has a high population. The forums on gamefaqs for this game are barren, rhe queues are dead, even this forum is not what ot was in past.
    So, to answer you, there probably is nothing left to do but stand around in this game. How sad.
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

This neither makes the slightest amount of sense, nor is true.
    • Like x 1
  14. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

What doesnt makes sense is paying for a game and standing idle.
    Denial is a horrible thing.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ooooh, numbers!!!! It's EVER so much fun when people start trying to use numbers when it comes to in-game population or the number of players playing!!!!!

Especially when, you know, the devs don't release those numbers all that often. :D

Once again, I'd recommend NOT using the Steam charts for any sort of basis on what the population may be. Steam numbers are hardly representative considering that it's not the only portal for PC players to play the game. It's a very small window to look through, and you're not really going to get a huge panoramic view of the ocean looking through a small window.
    • Like x 2
  16. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

17. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

Thats some real denial there pal.

Devestating queue times
    Empyt watchtower 24/7
    Empty little boh
    Had to merge ps servers with pc to band aid what you now deal with.
    No graphic update
    No 2nd iteration of game being developed
    Steam numbers in the toilet
    Dlc 1 per year (lucky if you get that)
    Gamefaqs DC board dead
    Almost Zero Content providers for DCUO
    Near Zero Viewers for nearly Zero Twitch Streamers

Would you like more "Reality?"
    Wake up!

Those Steam numbers are real.
    The same resource that states eso at peak is around 10k +
    There are more people in a single 12 man raid in eso than there are people in little boh.

Wake up!
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I never said the Steam numbers weren't real. I said that they can't be used as anything definitive because they don't show the whole picture.

Can you see how many phases are active and open in the game? How many instances are open in those phases? Can you see the total number of players in a given zone (not just those nearby)?

And then there are other conditional questions. What instances are you encountering "devastating queue times?" Are those instances older content or the newest of the new? Is there a seasonal event or special weekend event taking place that might affect all queue times? At what time of day are you seeing Little Bohemia and/or the Watchtower "empty?" On which server are you seeing these empty places "24/7?"

We as players can't see all that info. Our windows into things like game population are extremely limited, rather small and many times anecdotal because it's only what we can see in front of our eyes. What you may see in the Watchtower at a given moment can and probably will be different from what someone else encounters, even if they're on at the same time as you. So unless someone making definitive statements about population has a green name and access to all the info, they are merely guessing, and that's under the best of circumstances.

At worst? Well, that comes across to me as trying to speak out of a body orifice never intended for human speech.
    • Like x 2
  19. DC REBIRTH Well-Known Player

You really cant refute the facts and you havent because you cant.
    You have past the Denial stage and entered the willfully ignorant stage. Such a stage means one is not capable of thinking for themselves and need to be spoonfed. You may be suffering from game addiction. May want to seek help lol. Of you really cant see what going onn here or dont want to, which addict tend to do.

The rest of the population has moved on or at least accepted the facts.
    You speak of phases. Lol. There is only 1 phase everytime I log on. So yeah. Youre argument is without merit.
  20. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Yes, he has. You just don't seem to comprehend the bit about the steam numbers, so I break it down for you step by step:

- go to Gotham East End Police Station (It is Halloween event and it starts there, so you will find more players there ATM)
    - Open the "nearby" menu
    - Look at the player names
    - Some player names are listed with a [PC] in front of their name. This marker is added by the game. You will notice these players are a very minority. These are the players using a PC to play in that area. See the ratio of those players compared to the names NOT starting with the [PC] in the list. The realize that the Steam numbers don't even represent all of those players, since DCUO does not require Steam to run on PC.

Well, he may. I don't since I just returned due to my STO account running into a bug last week losing some of my perks (waiting for them to sort that out). I know it is hard for people growing up in our current post-factual society system were "facts" are made of by majority polls in social media, but: No matter how many ignorant people would vote for "2+2=5", the correct fact would still be "2+2=4". Same applies to your steam numbers in DCUO. You spoke of a band-aid before - the merger was, for the PC population, not console. Some years ago the PC population was even lower than the back then PS3 part of the console population, the devs confirmed that several times.

Fact is, there are always at least 2 phases whenever you log on - the PvE and PvP phases, by default. At some population number in either of them the servers are designed to open another phase of the type that is considered "full" (I have personally never seen 2 PvP phases active though).

Now, for the better part of your statements: Of course population is declining since the game is old. When MMOs grow old, they generate "wastelands" usually by bad game design - and DCUO is and always has been a prime example of really bad game design :D - because higher level content gets new "staging areas" with related vendors, quest NPCs etc. This has happened nearly everywhere I played except for City of Heroes.

As for queue times - since I don't plan on staying, I just played the seasonal event a couple of times, and those popped within 2 minutes every time I tried by now. You may be stuck at a level of content no one is currently playing etc.

I don't intend to defend the game at all, it's still focusing on the bad decisions of 1-2 years ago from what I saw. I just can't stand it when people call going flat-out Trump "facts". I can give you facts about DCUO that show the game as bad and in need of "Rebirth", but Steam numbers are for the toilet when it comes to DCUO

- Despite the devs believing it is OK, the population took a loss larger than expected when ditching the PS3 at the beginning of this year (hardly anyone will argue that here)
    - People playing cross-server from console ("European"-account on US-Server or vice versa) are often unable to redeem the stuff they bought in game (PS3 allowed for a workaround which is now gone), driving even some PS4 players off with the closure of PS3 (step to step guide for recreating this problem on PS4 available)
    - Some players just stay with the game because they don't want to start over elsewhere and have "invested" so much money and time in DCUO already, while the game isn't really providing constant fun anymore (forum search will bring you lots of examples with players stating just this)
    - Despite ditching the PS3, the quality of game coding has not improved. The game crashed on the PS4 about 5 times by now since I took another look at it. That is roughly once per day. People complain about that ingame in "Shout" and "LFG" chats. Many people on the forums blamed all that on the PS3 before BTW :D
    - I was also dissappointed to see that a) there was no graphix update and b) still a lot of re-used maps in new content despite all the "we can't do better due to PS3" blabla before.
    - Lots of the UI does not always work properly. Some bugs still return from as it seems. Business as usual in DCUO, and business is and has been bad on the customers' end for quite some time.
    - Some players around are addicted not only to DCUO but to gambling in general.
    - The next update (not hotfix) will still not take care of some issues being along quite some time
    - The reflections on the buildings are not actual reflections, but a "fake reflection" alpha texture layer.
    etc.

You don't need Steam numbers to point out the game is still in bad shape and has less users around than in its peak time around Origin Crisis. But you should get a look inside the structures of MMOs in general. For example: The more content a game gets, if it is level restricted the existing population will always get stretched thinner due to the new content and not every player moving with the new level (CR) cap, even if the numbers are constant. That is why the newer content parts get this sneak peak level 10 versions (it took Daybreak and the elitist gamers around here years to understand that simple thing LOL).

If you really pick up some knowledge about MMO structures (and the DOs and DON'Ts) you can easily take down half of the game in the forums and quite some people will agree. But with steam numbers? No, due to the population structure, as pointed out.
    • Like x 1