By the time you read this post, I've already left the game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Derio, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Derio 15000 Post Club

Hello DCUO forum members new and old and devs. This... Is my final post here on the forums. And like many before me, a viable why I quit thread. The reason I am quitting is due to the games direction and severe lack of giving the player a good sense of direction. But mainly its due to my 10 items listed below.

1. The complete neglect of updated support role. Everything in this game is dps oriented, and while most objectives are to eliminate the enemy, DCUO has completely eliminated the MMO aspect of teamwork through different roles and classes. Roleless buffs were made insanely strong to the point where the latest endgame content can be done with 5 dps, and that alerts dont require a single support role or even encourage one. The damage creep has been so far out of control that the game has been tuned to high dps powers( aka FOTM). And even when episode 27 does release the damage creep will still be there alongside power imbalance. When you have to give out handouts just to satisfy 5-1-1-1 runs, that says alot about your game.

2. The Extreme Lack of Open World Content. This is the DC universe, yet when you do content at endgame level it doesnt feel like it because 95% of the time you are in your base or watchtower waiting for a queue or group to form. The pure aspect of the roots of DCUO year 1 was your character going out and you know saving the world, fighting the bad guys in the streets and completing objectives. Somewhere along the way DCUO lost sight of that.

3. The continuous bugs. HUD disappearing, chat dropping, game server randomly going down. Unexpected downtime, Server lag spikes. There have been some times in the past and even this year where the game was down unexpectedly for more than 4-8 hours and in the past years sometimes even almost an entire day. Where as when you play other MMOs, there members are compensated for unexpected downtime or even told when downtime will be 2 days in advance.

4. Power Balance. Should be #1 for many people but for me I can live with it due to recent budget cuts and the fact that I am not a super serial person when it comes to being #1 on the scoreboard. However it does not detain the fact that this has gone on for far too long and has created a major power creep that has caused more bugs to count.Where in other games like neverwinter where dps are focused on buffing eachother to complete the objective, in DCUO dps are working against eachother to top the charts(FYI Neverwinter has a scoreboard as well). Electric and nature dps has been not viable for how long? And it could have had its damage fixed in a small hotfix over a year ago( devs excuse, " we dont want to buff a power and then have to go back and nerf it months down the road"), which I find the devs excuse to be rather cheap since its costing them subs everytime a new player sees they cant play an electric toon to the fullest and the fact that its a purchased power discredits the marketplace in more ways than 1. The major gripe I have is when a new player gets to lvl 30 as an electric and then get kicked from a group because of it, and devs can sit back and let it persist for so long.

5. PVP. Its taken how long to even address the problems, and then even now adding 1 map and a new style and 1 new feat isnt going to cut it quite frankly. The pvp population has waited how long, only to be let down in such a way to where keeping a sub and playing the new map in august isnt even worth logging into the game. People were expecting pvp content, new season, new pvp feats, new maps( with extra emphasis on the s in maps). So pvp wont really be revived until 2017.

6. The Progression System. I hate, hate, hate the progression system ever since it was changed back in HOP Pt2. Progression based off gear drops alone has and always will be a failing system for any MMO. ( dev excuse" you can always progress via vendor gear") When in the past year vendor gear will never get you to max CR and CR which is a measure of your combat efficiency can only be maximized based off luck. The luck counter is extremely flawed. I went in RITE 3 times in a row for 8 drops and only came out with blue and green gear, it wasnt until my 9th drop that I got a piece of gear only to find out it was the same boots that dropped for me last week. The progression system has changed to where it does not encourage the player to play more but to stop playing completely.

7. Marketplace. Many of you will place this higher on your list of pet peeves but the fact of the matter is its not good. Adding of the new soder cola in the MP was a terrible idea. The fact that the Mist Auras still arent here( something that was promised in a livestream). Remember the rocket boots feet style that was promised. Never came on the MP or even in a BB. The marketplace is terrible, and considering this is a F2P( up to T4) game, you would think after 4.5 years of being F2P the marketplace would have more to offer.

8. Complete misunderstanding of the playerbase. This is a touchy one but one that needs to be said. There have been countless ideas here on the forums, many that got over 200 likes on the original post but have never been implemented. An example is the omni colas( pretty much a pvp cola that works in pve), the change movement mode pose( instead of flying with 1 hand out, fly with both hands out), certain base items that are already in game to be available for players. Adding simple stats like revives to the scoreboard. Or there have been times where devs see an idea and take that idea and completely ruin it, when it could have been avoided if they made a WIP thread to get player feedback before they started on it. These requests often get mixed up and we get things like the latest addition of colas in the marketplace.

9. The UI. Lets not look at this games UI compared to all the luxury PC games out there. Lets just compare it to all the MMO's on PS4 right now. For a game that has been out 5+ years its long overdue for a fix. Even the tutorial suffers because of the buggy UI. HUD disappearing, powers not loading in the tray. Armories not switching properly. Lets be honest, them scrapping the UI was one of their worst decisions next to 5 year power balance and monthly content.

10. Sense of Direction. The sense of direction is completely gone. From the story, to the gameplay, its completely gone. During the DLC days you knew what content you were getting, the gear , the style and what the story included and even a preview at the next DLC content and what it consists of. Now the only thing the playerbase knows is DBG is putting all their eggs in episode 27's basket for DCUO to make a comeback. Yet the playerbase knows nothing about the content, the progression, or even an estimated date to go by for power balance, and the sad part is many players expect episode 27 to be released this year. I cannot support a game that cant even give its customers a straight up answer about key issues that the game is facing.

I dont expect DCUO to fix even 1/3 of the items on this list by January 2017. Nor do I expect the community to. And its sad to see the game I love fall apart. Everyone has their boiling point. And for me the water never settled down.

This isnt a I'm gone for good thread. If DCUO can fix its major issues and get back into its roots of content and team play. Then I could see myself returning. But this is the last post for me until I am given a reason to feel to reinstall the game.

Opening all the content is good for the game. And I do think going back to DLC is the best.

For all those who have stuck around and continue to stick around I wish you nothing but the best. No you cant have my stuff. And I hope DCUO makes an epic comeback in 2017!!!
    • Like x 56
  2. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

Oh well what do you plan to do with yourself? Play a different game? If so which game?
  3. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Only a couple of things to say: roleless buffs are only in 4 person content. Mist auras and rocket boots were never "promised" for the Marketplace. When people asked for them during livestreams they said "noted" and "we'll see what we can do." Neither of those statements is a promise. That being said, I am a huge supporter of monetising the marketplace. The more styles in there the better.
    • Like x 8
  4. Mighty Committed Player

We never played together, I don't think, but I always appreciated your input on Celestial and just your take on things in general. I hope a break renews your interest in the game as it did mine. You make great points though. I highlighted a few of the ones really resonating with me.

For me, my discord with the game started when GU36 was forced down our throat for the sake of balance, and we were sold a batch of goods on WM vs. Clipping, resulting in people wanting to use their superpowers in a superpowers MMORPG, leading to AMs which circled the drain on balance for a time, then quantum got rushed out broke AF and instead of nerfing it in line, with really just like two powers to go and then a handful to fine-tune, they started the process over again and somehow managed to trip all over themselves in turn. Test differently .... :rolleyes:

Instead of prioritizing the most-in-need of revamps at the time (elec, nature, light), they throw out gadgets' fourth or fifth revamp in about a year, and begin anew buffing powers that were already among the best-performing. Light waits eight months, elec and nature wait TBD. I have friends who love those powers and they either have to play a power they don't identify with, or seriously underperform with broken powers. I think that gets to the misunderstanding the player base.

The developers used to joke about how everyone complains about how they listen to the wrong feedback, but this has been pretty true dating back to GU36 when developers actively participated in vilifying top-caliber players who were trying to defend the current meta of DPS to a vocal plurality of the forums that had an axe to grind (and who, ironically, many of them I haven't seen here or in game for years), all to sell us WM.

Then we got into this power creep, 1-2-3-NUKE THE UNIVERSE Easy Mechanic nonsense, and prioritized CR (luck, replays, drops) and FOTM-chasing over skill, fidelity and familiarity with a powerset, that's where this game seriously jumped the rails. Respec to win. No thanks.
    • Like x 19
  5. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

^This bit brightened up my read :) don't think we ever ran together and I'm also on a break from DCUO for very similar reasons, but you are one of those few forumites that have been here long enough that every time I see one leave i feel like:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  6. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Hate to see you go. Normally I just ignore these "I'm leaving." threads but you stand out from the rest.

Best of wishes man.
    • Like x 4
  7. LT Schmitt Committed Player

You won't be missed.
    • Like x 2
  8. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

So about your stuff ^_^
    • Like x 2
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

Each time someone quotes a big post to answer with a short sentence, a piece of me dies.
    • Like x 18
  10. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

No not Derio!!!! i knew this day would come someone Hug me! lol i hope you have a good Life bro, sad to see you go Takecare.
    • Like x 1
  11. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

Lmao you would! :cool:
  12. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

nah i think derio will be one of the players that will be missed he did a lot to help out the game, help out on the forums play the game he even at the end still wishes dcuo the best of luck that's a good player.
    • Like x 4
  13. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

Later D, had fun chattin with ya on the forums. Sad to see a fellow battle healer go.
    • Like x 1
  14. Pop a Trinket dey sweatin Dedicated Player

I had to log in just to like this post. Bravo.
    • Like x 2
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Do you not think it's a bit too soon to be jumping ship?

I mean the way I see it, it's like when I visited America. 9 hours of hell in a tiny, cramped plane, with **** movies on the screen on the seat in front of me. Ears popping, below average food and just a generally ****** time that had at least a 1 hour wait in customs featuring a rather large woman, carrying a gun (we don't often see guns in the UK) and some little dog smelling all of our cases for drugs. I had to pay in the region of £500 for, one way, for this experience.

Once the plane landed, though, I had made it to America. When the Pound was worth about two Dollars and a Triple Burger King Cheese Burger, with a Large Fries and Coke cost 50% less than a double cheeseburger in the United Kingdom.

Comparing my trip to DCUO's current state, the pilot is approaching the city and requesting permission to land. Will the plane crash? there's still a chance. Will the lady from customs go spelunking in my chocolate cavern? I bloody well hope not! We're almost there, though and it's too soon to be jumping out of the aeroplane now.
    • Like x 11
  16. Superskull85 Devoted Player

For the pure sake of it..

1) Not sure we've played the same game since in a 4-Man scenario it become pretty common practise to at least eliminate a Tank as early as tier 2. I By tier 3 it wasn't rare that I ran 4-Man's with me as the Healer, no Tank and maybe a quasi-Controller (one who is there mainly trying to do damage). In 8-Man content I was running as a solo Healer as early as Kahndaq. It became more and more routine to run Power Core with a single Controller or sometimes a single Healer or Controller since more and more people wanted the speed feat.

It didn't exactly get any better after that year and a half. The game has more or less emulated what we have today. That is the community starts with a group that is closer to "balanced" and then starts to get comfortable which leads more damage. More damage in any game typically leads to easier overcoming of mechanics even in a game like, say, FFXIV. I can't believe it is only recently started to aggrevate you. DCUO hasn't really been a game about strict roles or groupings.

2) Lack? To be perfectly honest open world content hasn't really been a thing since tier 1. Tier 2 originally had none at all. Open world content in tier 2 content was tacked onto a tier 4 DLC. Tier 3's open world content was added after tier 3 could be largely completed (ie you getting all of your tier 3 vendor gear). It was only added for catch up.

Tier 4's open world content was there at the beginning but it was hardly sustainable. It was slow at best and meaningful progression didn't occur until the large content releases. Other open world content was a tacked on side mission that was unnecessary or lead you, ultimately, back to an instance. Tier 5-6 wasn't much better with open world content amounting to barely more than a single Duo. So is it true that it degraded over time? Sure but it is also true that historically open world content was tacked on or added when the tier was ending. It has been years since it was meaningful so I can't imagine why it is not prevalent to bring it up.

3) This is more of the same I have been mentioning. These annoyances have been occurring since the launch of the game. Why it is now a particularly aggravating point is confusing.

4) All of which is being addressed. This is ultimately a lack of patience involved. You can't just have it done now because you ideally think it should be. This has also been going on more or less since the game launched. It will likely never end.

5) I can't be sympathetic here given that the community is the reason PvP progress doesn't progress. They want it completely focussed on and when they try to make incremental changes the community rips their head off which was case and point when they tried to tweak counter immunity. Again it's been quite a bit since gripes regarding this originated.

6) If you've wanted a system where best gear came from the vendor why did you continue playing past tier 4? After tier 4 gear has either been on par or in most cases exceeding vendor gear. Heck the ending of tier 4 began this trend. Again I am quite puzzled why you kept playing for years knowing that a system like Halls of Power Part 2 would be a problem for you since that kind of system has been in place since the beginning of tier 5.

7) I won't dispute this.

8) There is a difference between misunderstanding and community driven bias. DGC is not misunderstanding the community the community is simply shifts its vocal minority spectrum. The classic example is between the large content and small content groups. When large content is used the small content group gets outraged. So what happens? Small content is focused on. Then the large content group outrages and the cycle continues. This was why small content and large content DLC's were introduced and why you were allowed to bridge across the opposing content releases (skipping 3 months) so that you could play what you want when you want to play. This wasn't enough because of the middle sized content group was content until now. At this point became vocal and all you heard on these forums were complaints from them. This lead to a mixture of both worlds and ultimately the format we have now. Want to guess what happened? Correct! ANOTHER group came out, and up to now was content, outraging about how they don't like the jumbled storylines!

It's not that they they misunderstand the community it is that the happy stay silent and the unhappy go violent. It is ultimately the communities fault and (ironically) DGC's fault for closely listening to the community instead of sticking largely to structure they envisioned. I bring up FFXIV a lot but I do got to say that their rigidness in terms of progression is a good thing since you know what to expect as the game moves on.

9) I won't dispute this.

10) Pretty much 8) in a nutshell.

Basically I believe you have been ultimately upset about the game for years now so I'm not that sorry to see you go as you weren't supporting DCUO because you liked it these past years. You were hoping that the game remained stagnant and your sense of nostalgia trumped your common sense of dislike. I kind of alluded to this but you should have left around tier 5. Points 7) and 9) line up nicely as well since the Marketplace has been more or less the same since then and the UI wasn't more friendly before than either (it was pretty much the same).
  17. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

I do not blame you for leaving and I have been contemplating the same. Amazon Fury 3 is my last straw, if it sucks I'm not wasting anymore money on this game.

People have the audacity to sit here and sugar coat everything wrong with the game and tell people lies about it being great and what not but what they do NOT realize is that they're part of the problem, too.

Best of wishes to you Derio, I hope you find a MMO that appreciates and adores it's Community as much as you have this game :) </3
    • Like x 10
  18. MyrVell Committed Player

Power imbalance is easily the worst thing, and frankly as far as I'm concerned inexcusable.

Luck-based progression and a turn away from open-world would be my next two gripes. Other stuff I can sort of live with given how this is really the only game in town for my superhero fix.
    • Like x 5
  19. TestReporter Loyal Player

I'm not going to agree with u in the whole post but, in some points you are right, most of the old players are lost in a sense of nostalgia, when we remember a old time we think it was better than what we have now, but that's not always 100% true.
    We shouldn't compare the past with the present in most of the aspects, excluding pvp, they really f***** pvp up after the updates, but power balance problems and RNG was always in the game, there were a few times the game wasn't totally RNG focused, (and i fail to see them a lot, making some dumb posts), AFAIK, just war of the light 2, amazon 1-2 and halls 2 weren't totally RNG based, this got worse with monthly content, but RNG was dumb in dox/prime/hand of fate raids , etc.
    Sometimes ( a lot of times), it's the devs fault the game lost so many players, like GU47, dox bugs that took a LONG time to be fixed, throne exploiters not being correctly banned, etc, but the community also lacks in understand how the game goes, and in giving correct feedback, sometimes we get a good thing, then some players make a group of complaints and we get that removed, sometimes we get a bad thing, the players give good feedback about it, and we got f***** up.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Awwww

Why are you here again?
    • Like x 5