Bug with Ice Shields

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by Drift Hazard, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

A few months ago, Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints, Winter Ward and Reflection all stacked. Right now, however, if I use Shatter Restraints after Winter Ward, SR will overwrite WW, thus creating a single shield, and vice versa. If I use SR > Reflection or WW > Reflection, Reflection will overwrite either SR or WW and create its own shield.

Now here's the worrying part. If I cast Reflection then use either SR or WW, Reflection's shield will be stripped and none of the latter two powers will grant a shield. This happens on both Damage and Tank Roles. Yes, this means Reflection's 10k + Dominance HP will be removed, leaving you bare.

Only Bitter Winds is exempt as it always grants a shield regardless of what happens and stacks with any of the other shielding powers.
    • Like x 36
  2. Infernale New Player

Yeah, just had this issue in a nexus run, tank was using reflect then one of the others, then jumping in to start the last boss fight assuming he was still protected with reflect, but he wasn't.
  3. Infernale New Player

Just before shutdown, I jumped on my ice tank and had a play around - all of this is 100%, confirmed in the current effects list.

If you cast Reflect, and then SR or WW - Reflect is cancelled + disappears from the current effects list, and SR/WW only show up in the list to confirm your 90% def/toughness buff, the "absorb damage" line that you would normally see relating to the shielding effect is gone, so you have no shielding at all.

Didn't test HardLight Shield in the current effects list, but during an alert it didn't seem to be getting cancelled by anything.
  4. Red Hood Well-Known Player

They stopped stacking back in update 5 or 6, the fact that bitter winds stacks with other shields is in fact a bug.
    If a dev responds to this you will see. Look in the archived forums they may shed some light on stacking shields.
  5. Infernale New Player

The question of whether they should stack or not is only one issue. Without question, the main problem is that casting Reflect followed by SR or WW causes neither the initial Reflect nor the following SR or WW to provide a shield at all.
  6. Red Hood Well-Known Player

I
    The it is suppose to work is the last shield you activate is the one you get, similar to the way damage modifiers work in damage role.
    The only way a shield is suppose to stack is if one of each power cast one. For example an earth tank cast gemstone shield, while a nature casts swarm sheld and a hard light controller cast group shielding. That would effectively grant the tank 3 shields that stack.
  7. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Actually, the shields stacked around after the Fire/Ice update. I'm guessing it no longer stacked when they fixed the shields so that they will disappear the moment they get hit by a healer power. Except Bitter Winds.

Anyway, there's still the issue of WW/SR not granting a shield when used right after Reflection.
  8. Infernale New Player

Sorry, with the way you're quoting I can't tell if you're still only talking about the stacking issue/question in general - unsure if you are acknowledging that the specific issue of Reflect followed by SR/WW is a separate issue/bug, or thinking it's still part of the stacking question?
  9. alternator43 New Player

But why should anyone need to stack shields?

I have an ice tank, and I've never found myself in a situation where stacking my shields would be a good idea or beneficial in any sense of the word. If you're taking epic damage (for whatever reason) you can block/roll out for a bit.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue...can someone explain it to me like I'm five?
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I figured someone would ask this question. Here's a situation. Supposing you cast Reflection but, at the same time, you were stunned or knocked out while casting it. Then, you use Shatter Restraints as a breakout power...
  11. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

This all started for me yesterday, needs to be looked into ASAP!

IA ARMY
  12. alternator43 New Player

If you've already just cast a shield, why waste another shield before the first times out? I can understand wanting and needing to breakout, but if I still have aggro and an active shield there shouldn't be a problem.
  13. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

That would have been a good tip if it weren't for two things. First of all, Shatter Restraints and Winter Wards are still group breakout powers, which might by useful for certain situations, especially in PvP. Supposing your team needed a breakout fast and you've just used Reflection during that said instance. Your Reflection would have been wasted.

The second thing? The fact that the bug still exists. We can't really turn a blind eye to this one.

Anyway, you should consider the fact that apart from granting shields, the powers have a secondary effect. Whether it be breakouts or adding to your power interactions and DoTs.
    • Like x 1
  14. Infernale New Player

Indeed.

The group breakout effects of SR and WW will bust players out of counter effects, so if you pop Reflect and then someone gets countered, you can either let them lay on their backside, or cast WW or SR and end up with no shield at all due to this bug.

Even if your Reflect only had 1 more second before it was due to fail, or it was only going to protect you for 1 more hp before it failed, if you cast SR or WW before Reflect is gone, you lose any effect from that next shield.

Buuuuuuuump.
  15. Infernale New Player

Bumping this again, because Reflect followed with WW or SR will still cause the two powers to negate each other and leave you with no shield at all.

I honestly hope it doesn't take as long to fix this as it did for Earth's Gemstone Shield Bug... reported in March, fixed today :confused:
  16. Epic New Player

Confirmed this tonight. Pop Reflect and use SR or WW before Reflect is over and you have NO SHIELD. Pop SR on it's own you have shield. Pop SR then WW and you have a shield. but REFLECT followed by SR or WW before 6s...all shields are GONE! When did this change?? Change without post from DEVs or fixed something that broke something else?
  17. Charlie Fantom New Player

No shields for ice?
    Ask a fire tank if he cares.
    • Like x 1
  18. Sgt Bombero Committed Player

Instead ill ask how would he like it if his self heals were taken away?
  19. Charlie Fantom New Player

Pfft, there not worth a damn anyway. Just mainly in PVP.
    • Like x 1
  20. Infernale New Player

Actually, I'd say that it would be more like a bug that caused fire to suddenly lose it's 80% healing-in buff after casting 2 powers in a specific order.

Ice gets a defense buff, Fire gets a health buff. Ice then survives by mitigating damage as much as possible with shields, fire then survives by self heals (to a small extent), but more so by receiving heals that are 80% stronger than Ice tanks get.

So, if an Ice tank loses it's shields, it's probably closer to a fire tank losing their 80% healing-in buff (closer than losing their self-heals anyway). I'm sure you could appreciate the problems that this would cause...
    • Like x 5