Bruiser a.k.a Reverse Battle Tank

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Wallachia, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Wallachia Devoted Player

Hi, how are you? <3

I've been playing Rage since forever, but having squishy DPSes in some alerts and raids bothers me a lot. It's not that I want to solo stuff, but I like to try new stuff.

Anyways, I've seen a lot of "battle tank" builds, so I thought of trying a bruiser build, i.e, DPS role with full tank gear. I'm posting here to ask more experienced players about it. How would that go? I'm aware that I'd lose a good load of damage, but would I be able to survive better? I'm inclined to try this because I'd be able to go from damage to tank role without needing an armory.

Opinions are welcomed. I'm highly considering tinkering with this idea.
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

reverse it and you will be in better shape in tank role but DPS gear is the best way if solo for sure if you actually have to tank then you want mixed gear to get your dom high enough for the content min requirement and the rest DPS and as far as SP goes do a mix
    • Like x 1
  3. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

No clue. Never tried. In theory, it should work. The more defense should be very noticeable. My atomic tank is a battle tank. All gear is tank.

I'd actually like to see gear meant for melee range.
    • Like x 1
  4. AberrantAngel Committed Player

Survivability is better doing something like this. But overall not worth the cost of damage loss IMO. you are better off replacing a dps move, with day something like a shield. Main reason being, your mods and bonus for tank gear is set up differently. Since revamp you are better off running in tank stance with dps moves. And just running as a second tank, if the group is ok with it. In tank stance you are not really losing much dmg on regular content. Elite content should usually be more true role oriented.
    This is one of the reason atomic and earth tanks can do allot of dmg, their builds allow it.
    I can not speak on building a rage tank or bruiser dps build. Did not like rage as a power.
    If you build this to better suit your testing try at least split mods in your gear. Might plus whatever you use on your tank side....
  5. Wallachia Devoted Player

I tried that with rage and it was a bad idea. Rage attacks have a higher cooldown, so I wasn't able to chain them in a pftt style as I was in dps mode.
    • Like x 1
  6. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

With tank gear and a full DPS rotation you wouldn't even lose a lot of performance. There's like 12% more Might and Prec on damage gear and you'd get more Health in exchange that you could switch to Might or Prec again with an artifact. Now if we're talking fully modded DPS gear down to un-/tank-modded tank gear, yeah you'd see quite some damage loss.

To be honest if you want to increase your survivability in DPS role I'd rather just go full DPS with 1-2 shields or tank specific mechanics on top and Health as the secondary stat. If wearing tank gear helps you melee elite raid bosses though and make up for the damage loss, that would be pretty cool. But if you need to give up half your damage for that then it's not worth it imo.
    • Like x 2
  7. Brav Well-Known Player

As Most have mentioned, sticking with a full set of gear for each role will be more beneficial. You will get to keep your main stats as the difference is minimal for most stats. To create a hybrid type of build it is best to use the appropriate gear for each role and adjust your SP Allocation and mods to gain additional stats as a balance for your hybrid build. (Use fortified assault tactical mod to gain an additional 10% Defense. Also Obtaining omnipotence gear can help with survivability along with a balanced load out for damage and survival). (For additional survival and damage for a dps/hybrid build, after allocating a sp balance in crits/might or prec (depending on your focus type) put a balance of sp into health which will add additional survivability plus maxing out your dps artifact will give you additional stats and add even more damage based on your health while the artifact effect/buff is active).

(Side Note: Currently what makes Tank durable is not solely based on their gear stats alone but the buffs they receive while being in tank role plus utilizing their survival abilities/mechanics for their power).

As one has mentioned it would be a good addition to have a hybrid balanced set gear but a better option will be a introduction to a new role/stance option (Hybrid) with the start of one set of gear for each role like pvp has. Basically the gear will have base stats for each Tier/Cr and depending on your current role the stats will be adjusted/buffed to accommodate your choice. (A Side Note: Hybrid stats should be a balance of each stat and should not be even to a full role player. Example: For a Hybrid Role, Support stats should be a bit higher than a pure dps but less than a pure support and Damage stats should be a bit higher than a pure support but less than a pure dps). And Role specific buffs(At least 50% but less than 100% of a pure role buff) should be adjusted accordingly for a Hybrid Role as well.

I feel like that will be a good addition and change for the game as it will open up more options for players to choose from. At the moment balancing sp and mods with op gear is the closest we can get to a hybrid build.
    • Like x 1