Bring weapons back to DCUO!!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fatal Star, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Perdition Committed Player

Nowadays i prefer my Ice character who is specced WE and modded full prec. With that out of the way, i enjoying it 10x more then i do my gadget dps which is PFFT. What bothers me a bit is that all the weapons are not really balanced (otherwise we wouldnt be stuck with bow into smokebomb) to one and another. Which in turn actually hurts WE or Hybrid dpsing. I would also like to see future update to actually promote WE/Hybrid sinds that path is really ejoyable for me, and many others.
    • Like x 3
  2. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

I know a full weapon combo overhaul would be a lot of work. The DCUO team has time constraints and other things they're scheduled to work on.

I think a quick solution would be changing the hybrid and weapon expert buff to 15 or 20 percent.

But ideally an entire weapons pass would be wonderful
    • Like x 1
  3. Lodestone Active Player

Yes please make that happen.
    Perhaps then the superiour playing hybrids can overpower those facerolling 12345 pftt players and we all be happy:)
    Its a good thing when you believe your powerset is not working as intended to bring it under attention and i think youre right about this.
    But how some of you talk about the complexibility of playing hybrid... plss
    Lol as mental player (thats why use this example) i know experience mental players using hybrid/weapons who do absolute nothing more complex/difficult things as myself, yeah they more often use there buttons well well how more difficult and i cant help how the sp is implemented, thats with the devs.
    I, who play mental as pftt dont choose it because i believed this was easier, its because i wanna play my char with mental powers, if i had or make a char who uses weapons il choose the hybrid/weapons options.
  4. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Soo...you do realize that this has something to do with my post that you said "no" to right? Weapons just scale really crappy with our precision stat. Only smoke bomb gets past the scaling nerf making it an exploit. So stop complaining if I can't complain. Simple.
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I said no to your might and power cost scaling, not weapons.

The fact you're even comparing this thread to yours is laughable since they have very little in common, if at all.

But please, throw more salt! I enjoy the taste of it.
  6. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

That's the solution right there. But instead of making a Hybrid do 2 times the damage make them do 10% more than PFFT. The more experienced players can go with Hybrid and PFFT players will not be upset and calling for nerfs (well let's be honest; they still will but at least they will have the option to go Hybrid as well).
  7. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I think it should have the same potential? Shouldnt it? Isnt that what everybody is complaining about, how one focus is more op than the other? Its like a never ending cycle

Edit- My bad. I had to re read a few things to understand where you guys were getting at. I understand what you mean now
  8. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

The thing about buffing Weapons is that you gotta be careful about it, otherwise you endure the risk of making Hybrid Overpowered because it allows you to grab more DPS esque stats.

Like for me, I say Hybrid users get 75% of their weapon damage; they already benefit from might attacks and precision.

Weapons Expert: Give it the Full 100%, right now this thing relies on pure precision and precision users only get about maybe 60% of their weapon DPS; needless to say that hurts this playstyle if someone prefers to use it.
  9. L T Devoted Player

Yeah you'll get a lot of complaints if you make tray only undesirable. Plus you have power sets like hard light and celestial that would be more or less destroyed if pftt weren't at least as viable as hybrid.
  10. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Said it in another WE thread but I dont get weapons currently.
    Took away the WM bonus -> First WE artifact relies on you using WM combos.
    The Math of balancing weapons is surely a nightmare so I cant blame them really for not getting into it, but to me it seems simple:

1) leave PFTT where it is.
    2) Buff weapons beyond PFTT dmg levels, they should hit harder as they're interruptable and theres no 360° damage option
    3) Hybrid gains from the Wep buff, so carefully balance it on the power side (eg. Its dmg buff %)

When we're talking about "Damage Potential", It just makes sense that WE should be beyond PFFT and Hybrid. When Johnny Quick is zooming from 1 corner of the Panopticon to the other, DOT dmg still ticks while WE players have to chase him, when adds are blocking Earth can Jackhammer away and Rage can swing bloody maces to its hearts content but WE players get interrupted.

How does it not make sense?
    • Like x 3
  11. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Another important part of the fix I forgot though is WM combos. Gotta be reduced to Aesthetic combos.
    What I mean by that is theres not a massive difference between Haymaker and Homerun Combo damage-wise, still hits hard enough to be worth having for those who want it, but the main buff for weapons has to be for WEAPONS, not WM combos. Otherwise you get PFTT players clipping in Shuriken Storm combo between Powers and we're back to square one.

In essense, the original plan: The longer the combo, the bigger buff to damage.
    • Like x 1
  12. Wallachia Devoted Player

TBH I agree with Frugal Star.

If we had weapons being viable we'd have much more participative players. I've seen a lot of them in game saying that they think that weapon fighting is much more fun than the laughter set (pfft or something). Guilty as charged: I play with PFFT, because I play rage and I like to use rage constructs. But I think it'd be absolutely more fun to have a super brawler, someone who used brawling, then suddenly like burst up in flames and used fire punch, i.e, used superpowers as secondaries and weapon attacks as their main source of damage.
    • Like x 3
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Any change has to be made carefully and with balance in mind you cannot and should not buff weapons or hybrid to the point where they excel past PFtT otherwise your just swinging from one extreme to the other.

This is basic common sense.

Also in regards to your nerf might in pvp comment.

I'm sorry but that's a horrible comment you don't need to nerf might you just need to balance weapons and counter attack punishing and the like.
    • Like x 1
  14. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Agree with everything, +1
    • Like x 1
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Hang on you're in here complaining that weapons need work because PFtT is imbalanced but in this statement you're then advocating for a distinct imbalance.

I'm sorry but that's one of the most outrageously hypocritical positions I've seen.

You can't ask for balance one moment then request another play style be more op... wow just wow.
    • Like x 1
  16. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Theres the issue though, we're not talking about Basic Common Sense, we're talking Math, and right now the numbers just dont add up. Putting Hybrid aside for now, and comparing PFTT to WE as it currently is live:

Powers
    Unblockable
    Pretty much infinite if you work on SP and know when to cola
    Certain powers hit all adds in a 360° angle
    Multiple Ranged options
    Continuous dmg to elusive adds with DOTs and AOEs
    Supercharges
    Stuns barely interrupt a flow that you cant easily pick back up

Weapons
    Highly interruptable
    Weps are far more imbalanced than powers, more than most are willing to admit
    Time lost when interrupted
    Chasing after elusive/lunging/flying adds/bosses
    "Cone dmg" decides when it will work, and you lose time repositioning just so you hit everything
    Longer combo better damage just doesnt exist
    if it did, stuns effect Wep a lot more and cost time once again

If you want to reduce it to Basic Common Sense then here it is; The harder option should have a better "Damage Potential". When I say that though I dont mean it should 100% top scoreboards, I honestly dont care about coming 1st 2nd or 3rd, but if it had better Potential, you wouldnt mind the Variables that PFTT dont have to deal with. The Variables would inherently even it out with PFTT and everyone would get to enjoy their game.

To simplify (with fake figures)
    If PFTT had the potential to do 10 mill in a raid, WE should have the "Potential" to do 15 mill. But "Potential" for WE means if the adds didnt get dragged away out of range by a Tanks pull, didnt block, didnt stun, didnt interrupt in any way, you "could" do 15 mill if all adds and bosses just stood there and took a beating, but they wont, so you wont get 15 mill. When you minus all the Variables, it could even out at 10 mill too. It'd be stupidly difficult to get right, but its what was promised and not even closely delivered.

What we really need is a Test Server run where the Sparring Targets are taken away, and only results from live Solos Duos Alerts & Raids are counted towards balancing this. Only results WITH these Variables are counted. Make the scoreboard be a force for good for once, for change.
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

I cannot agree that any specialization have a potential damage viability over that of another.

Inherent imbalance has plagued this game for too long.

I'm not saying weapons don't need work I'm saying that weapons should not under any circumstances out perform or even have the potential to out perform super powers.

This is not weapon universe online and nor should it be super power universe online although given the context of the title one could argue the latter.

If you want to argue risk v reward then this should be broken down into melee v range but categorically not weapon v power.

If someone wants to go stand infront of a boss and stroke their beard and tickle their belly then they should do more damage regardless of weapon or power.

When they have to move range the potential could drop off but in equal terms.

Whether you like to admit it or not you do care about the scoreboard to a degree otherwise you wouldn't even care to be in here asking for increases.

Unless of course you're saying your choice to use weapons is preventing you from completing content... are you?
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'm just going to pretend you didn't read the whole thread so therefore you don't see the point in what we're talking about, because that's really the only way I can truly comprehend how you think having hybrid do slightly more damage (at melee range) would turn the game into weapon universe online. Like I'm actually astounded right now.
    • Like x 4
  20. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Announcement in 6 months: "We just want to give everyone a head's up that we're actively looking into (actively looking into is the kiss of death in this game, lol) weapons and considering your feedback about them. We hope to have something further to share in the future (another kiss of death)."
    • Like x 1