Bring weapons back to DCUO!!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fatal Star, Jan 8, 2018.

1. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

You mean like pftt does already?
    • Like x 3
  2. Harlequin Devoted Player

Why not add mechanics that punish PftT players so they can feel the pain of those poor, abused melee weapon users?
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Like what? they can’t be countered unless they use channels, but there’s a white mod for that so not even then. So that’s one less avenue of interruption. Plus, even if something does happen, they don’t have to start their entire rotation again like we do with comboes. Weapons right now are like AMs before we got the grace periods and stuff. Celestial even got cc resistance. we have none of that.
    • Like x 1
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

There are plenty of powers that can be interrupted that the white mod does exactly nothing for.

I've followed this thread since Fatal posted it and I predicted just about every argument presented in it. I agree with Proxy and Mohican. Potential should be equal for each play style. All other factors can be attributed to encounter design. Everything. I'm sorry that this team can't seem to come up with boss fights that can't be cheesed by staying at range or that punish melee players with PBAOEs or scripted aggro drops that ghost them. Perhaps you guys should start campaigning for more varied encounters instead of trying to get the devs to bake in imbalance by buffing weapons beyond powers.
    • Like x 1
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Fair point. Maybe more fights like the Anti-Monitor fight? I feel a lot less disadvantaged in that fight than I do in all the Earth three bosses because of Anti-Monitor’s rather unique behaviour as a DCUO npc. That still leaves the problem of pftt being simultaneously much more front-loaded and steady in its damage output...
  6. Proxystar #Perception

we've discussed this already PFtT is not immune to interruption and again I'm all for a solution but not one that makes inherent fundamental combat mechanics redundant.
    • Like x 1
  7. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

This is patently false, and pushing this as a way to push for increased damage potnential over other play styles is disingenuous.

the risk vs. reward is so overblown by folks its ridiculous.

As PffT player, I don't just get to stand in one spot and spam my powers. not even close. If the boss jumps around, and you're having trouble hitting with weapons, guess what? I'm having trouble keeping in range when he jumps across the board, and my powers don't hit either.

I can be interrupted.

I can be stunned.

I can stay in the fire and die, or I can move and lose some potential DPS numbers.

Stop acting like its sooooo much harder to play weapons.

It's not.

the problems you face are almost all faced by range players.

What you want, is to be able to ignore the mechanics that effect your character based on the play style YOU chose, cuz it's, like, so hard.

So if you don't mind, quit trying to backtread the actual progress that's being made here.
    • Like x 1
  8. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Can pftt be interrupted by an npc blocking? Do you have to start your entire rotation from the start?
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Obviously not, but that doesn't mean other things don't cause meaningful interruption and that doesn't mean there aren't a number of powers where that interruption doesn't have a detrimental effect.

Again, I will not and cannot support a fix that breaks the fundamental combat mechanics that have existed in this game from basically the very start i.e. block, block break, lunge.

In fact I find the mere suggestion of breaking that system as your proposal to bring balance to be, well quite frankly, horribly outrageous.
  10. Punch Drunk Active Player

Sorry to tell you I get interrupted all the time using pftt. Not every power gets to stand up there and melee away.
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

That’s kind of an important distinction, because npcs NEVER telegraph that they’re about to block. Plus that’s still one more thing we have to worry about. You know what really breaks the fundamental combat system? Literally pretending half of it doesn’t even exist like most pftt do. But anyway like I said, make them equal first. Then you’ll be able to see that it won’t be enough. Or maybe I’ll turn out to be completely wrong and it’ll be fine. I’d be okay with that. I’m only really here so I stop getting “noob loadout” pms.
  12. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

More disingenuous exagerration on your part.
    • Like x 1
  13. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Yeah, considering all the crap I get for playing weapons I guess I am kind of bitter. But you’re still ignoring that I’m saying yeah let’s make them equal first. That way we’ll know for sure.
    • Like x 2
  14. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

I'm not ignoring it, I'm just in disagreement with your idea of what makes them "equal".

That's kind of the point.

there's already a better idea on the table, one that doesn't involve doubling the damage potential of weapons players.

I'm sorry, but that's just not balance.

The problems you complain about have a lot more to do with encounter design flaws than anything else. I'm not going to agree that damage potential be doubled to make up for the fact that sometimes you have to follow the boss across the screen and your block breakers don't always hit.
    • Like x 2
  15. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Where are you getting double from? I was thinking more like 5-10% more than pftt at most. I want to make them equal first anyway, to see if that’s enough. I don’t think it will be but I’ve been wrong before.
    • Like x 3
  16. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]
  17. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Jesus I take a 3 hour nap and the discussion goes into a full circle again lol
    • Like x 2
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

No one is saying that PFtT doesn't get interrupted, stunned, etc. Cause they do, I of all people should know this as a combo power, but what i don't agree with and what you guy are missing is the degree as to which those hindrances effect your performance as opposed to weapon players.

LIke I told proxy before, PFtT doesn't have to worry about getting a big hit off anymore, it did with AMs but that's no longer in effect. All you have to do is press a button and instant damage basically (unless you're doing combos or channeling abilities).

Weapon users to a degree still face that problem, the longer the weapon combo you use, the more risk you face in not being able to pull it off due to some kind of interruption. PftT if you get stunned or whatever, you just get right back up and continue your rotation, the worse thing you lose is 2 seconds to spam powers, not really a huge loss in comparison to weapon users that miss out on their big hit and have to restart their combo again, losing all that damage. In the end, THAT'S what screws over weapon dps.

I get what you're saying, and it's true the devs can be a little more creative with mechanics, but once you start dipping into the "too many mechanics" zone, the cries for content difficulty begin and then nerfs happen, which puts us right back at square one.

Plus you have to take previous content into consideration, the devs can;t just start making new content with all these group juggling mechanics and ignore previous content, they would pretty much have to redo the whole game, the same reason why trolls haven;t had meaningful mechanic adjustments yet, because it would require them to revamp all content.

At this point really the only solution i see that satisfies everyone's demands is to remove counter mechanics altogether from PvE. It would make tanking a boring mess, but you can't just buff weapons to equal potential as PFtT and expect that to balance the game, people will still rarely use weapons because it takes more effort, end of story. May not take a lot more, but these pugs aren't about to pick up a weapon and struggle next to the boss when they can just hit 1234.
    • Like x 3
  19. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]

They most certainly can and they should. Don't chime in with any "What about the new players?" stuff, either. Those guys won't have the SP required to fill out a good hybrid or WM build and will most likely be playing superpowered anyway.

Ranged weapons exist.

This whole thing boils down to one thing: there are people who firmly believe that melee players should have an advantage against ranged players, no matter their style. I disagree for reasons already well documented in the many threads of this type that have popped up since I started playing during HoF.
    • Like x 1
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I second Will Smith's "hell naw", but with how picky people are being there's really no valid solution that isn't time extensive or won't require another revamp at some point.