Brand New Characters You Would Like To See In DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Psycho Tech, May 4, 2021.

1. Eve YouTuber

Additional open world boss, hmmm??? ;)
    • Like x 2
  2. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

I definitely get where you're coming from, and to be honest I wasnt a fan of about 85% of Future State myself so my guess might be clouded by some "wishful thinking" but Future State was a bit different than the others.

If you look at storylines like Metal, Doomed and Death Metal, they're all parts 1 2 & 3 of 1 gigantic story helmed by Scott Snyder. The same way that Rebirth & The Button were always going to lead to Geoff Johns Doomsday Clock. Obviously there were writers in-between, but they likely were given a few light "restrictions" on what could happen by Snyder and Johns so as not to derail the roadmapped story.

Then theres Future State. And if you really look at it, compared to the stories above, its basically throwing the "proverbial" at a wall to see what sticks. Future State was never one collected story, but a collection of completely separate story's under 1 banner. It'd be like someone trying to say that all DC Black Label comics are connected. They're not, and thats the entire point of Black Label. Its DCs Adult Elseworld stories.

So the issue with Future State being an Episode is, ok, which 1 story do we do? Aside from characters appearing in multiple issues, they don't connect. Jon bottling Metropolis happens waaaay before Kal El faces of with Luthor on his new Planet. Some issues are 10+ years apart. They dont connect like the crossover events or issue events that informed our Episodes did.
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

You are thinking too linearly. Something doesn't have to be just "one" universe and each instance can be their own. We've seen DCUO do this in the past starting with Origin Crisis as an example, then there is Bombshell Paradox, or heck WonderVerse.

We also have Infinite Frontier to look at too.

It doesn't have to be one big story connected by the same universe, that is, what Future State is supposed to be. And it's what Didio setup, so he didn't have to worry about continuity. If it's written and it conflicts with another title, then it's another reality. We are in the House of Legends (called House of Heroes in the comics), which exists outside of time and reality in Bleed Space. Which has several versions of a lot of the characters we know existing at the same time.
    • Like x 1
  4. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

I really do understand where you're coming from, I get both the Multiversal and Omniversal view of it, i'm aware of Calvin Ellis teaming up with Thomas Waynes Batman to track down pieces of an unknown version of the Ultima Thule that crashed in different Multiversal Earths and it leading them to the True Darkseid who killed the Quintessence and was going to use Roy Harper as an Omega Lantern to gain control of the Omniverse (try saying all that in 1 breath). I get the storylines. The confusion is when people think Future State is just another Multiverse Earth. It isn't. It never was.

Dan DiDeo left right when 5G was abandoned and Future State wasn't released until many months later. Future State is basically a reworked version of 5G. 5G was going to change everything with a time-jump and there was no rewind button. Future State instead is literally a possible future, tip toe-ing instead of a forced change like 5G was planned to be, so that comic readers had a chance to voice if they liked the new direction. Turns out most of us didnt like the new direction. But Future State is, was, and forever will be Earth Prime. Its not an Elseworld, its not Earth 53, its not floating out there right now. That was Earth Primes future, and every comicbook issue that DC releases slowly veers us away from it because of fan backlash.

Future State was essentially a prototype that didn't pass its 1st test fully, so DC took the few good elements and the rest is in the trash.
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Future State is Earth Prime which is part of several multiverses that have an Earth Prime within the Omniverse. (Which is why there are conflicting stories between each of the titles to the point some are just stand alone.) That's part of the junk that Didio wanted.

Didio was fired at the same time 5G was cancelled. ATT came in and gave an ultimatum to DC after they fired Didio and basically told them to make something that can bring money in. Which is why 5G was cancelled and several stories were rewritten. The thing is, Future State was also supposed to be part of 5G, but things got condensed some, due to Didio's firing and they had already had a ton of work setup that they didn't want it to go to waste. (Didio posted several tweets on how 5G and Future State was supposed to work way after his firing.)

I'm glad Didio is gone, he really did ruin the direction of the comics and I'm hoping when Future State is done and settled, we can get something coherent. The all over the place nonsense was and is a major reason why we've had so many crisis written into the comics and a big factor why Marvel has suffered the same fate as well.

Getting back to DCUO though, having different stories being part of the game actually can work well. Especially since the Orrery sort of setup that fact as well. Plus, DCUO has never copied verbatim the comics. Otherwise BoP would not existed in the Legion of Doom storyline, where Lex blows up LexTower. Which is actually good, IMO. (Plus, I'm a little disappointed by Apex Lex in the new DLC. He's not all slimline, but in another Lexsuit.)
    • Like x 1
  6. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Yeah i think the Apex-Lex thing had to be cut down because of how long it dragged a bit in the comics. Having Lex's office blow up in BoP was basically a tease of whats to come. But given that they've got 3-4 Episodes to get through the entirety of Doomed and Death Metal, I suppose something had to be cut. It would have been a bit awkward to finally upgrade Martian Manhunters model, only for him to "die" and be absorbed to create Apex-Lex.

Would have been cool to see but given that the main Story is about Perpetua looking to finish the universe she tried to create, and The Batman Who Laughs' secret plans, Apex-Lex didnt necessarily "need" to be there for the overall story. Will be interesting to see whats kept though through 2022.
    • Like x 1
  7. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Im shocked with all the fanfare for Mad Hatter, he wasnt added with Metamorpho & Captain Atom. Would love to see him in the future in some aspect. A hallucinogenic Wonderland with madness mechanics would be cool
  8. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Personally, the Metal characters do nothing for me, although I'm always happy to see any new characters in the game.

Doom Patrol, please! They're too good and Danny the Street would make an incredible open world zone.
    • Like x 4
  9. Brit Loyal Player

I was personally hoping that we would get the Watchmen, to coincide with Doomsday Clock in the comics, as well as the HBO Watchmen show adding buzz.

No luck there though.
    • Like x 3
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Bump...I've been watching alot of Lobo in DC series and the guy is really growing on me lol.
    • Like x 1
  11. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

Killer Moth, from the animated series Teen Titans, in fact all those characters from that series and with that style
    [IMG]
    Jinx
    [IMG]
    A Valentine's event based on Jinx and Kid Flash wouldn't be bad xD
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

That we haven't seen matter eater lad, nor had super eating powers introduced is a crime.[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. Paranooix New Player

Jessica Cruz
    • Like x 4
  15. Northernfire New Player

Í would like to see Sportsmaster and with that a large sports themed weapons style pack as well as some character styles all sports themed
    • Like x 1
  16. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Bump

how about Johnny Sorrow

[IMG]
  17. DAnomalous Level 30

Some obvious current events inclusions

Peacemaker
    Naomi
    Red X
    • Like x 2
  18. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

do you think we'll ever get a belt with a chest strap as seen in this picture? thanks again for the lex face piece, i never got to tell you... because homie sent me on vacation last week
    • Like x 1
  19. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Original bump
  20. Tolly Committed Player

Jemm is a very interesting character with the impact he can have on Superman and Martian Manhunter

[IMG]
    • Like x 2