Bosses/Adds attacking only one dps. Logic or spit in the face to others?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by gemii, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Batrederik Dedicated Player

Every time I tell a random group, when I que in.
    “This is a rather obnoxious arrival isn’t it? And after that, i always get told to shut up* or ppl joking and say (Sorry did I interrupt you) people just rage when I politely suggest, “I will take over from here” They always say (Hold it! No fair, dude. I was tanking 1st. First come, first served”. :) But ok*. Watching dps or tank going down is the perfect show for me. I usually say “Then hurry up and lose, so it’s my turn to switch”

A few folks have touched on this, so I'll reinforce some and possibly introduce others, Oohoho :).
    But, i'd say that about every role.
    Everyone wants to be the pure dps or tank. Most people don't want to , heal, troll, etc.
    I always admire the tanks.

Tanking's most active job is holding aggro, not dodging and blocking.. While there may be a move that helps, it's usually a short term.
    DPS and healing tends to be more active since your job a bit more skill dependent.

:) Yes, tanks require you to know how to place a add, drag it, keep aggro, etc (all additional reasons people may not play a tank) but your main job is to take damage for others, and the main way this is accomplished is through gear.
    Next is that, like healers, tanks aren't great for soloing most of the time. You rarely kill things quickly. People like to see big numbers, and as a tank, that's usually going to be your HP and Dom. That’s it..

But if you don’t have the tank in your group.. :) You can give DPS info and they can do a good job, i.e. "Stand here, interrupt this, go all out!!!. :) DPS might like it :). So, what are we left with? A class that's primary job is passive, needs to know the ins and outs of most of encounters to essentially baby sit the group, if no tank in group, has to learn its job as the center spotlight of a group**.

But??? How can it be fixed?

Hm. “Don’t tell me what to do..”

If no tank in group, your job is to physically step in front of the people you're protecting when need be, but people in general should be doing what they can to avoid getting hit..
  2. Heliotropix Well-Known Player

almost all games have a "hate" table, everything you do moves you up that table. at different points in the fight, you may be on top of that table, even though you don't end up as top dps. not sure about this game, but in some others, plain weapons attacks add little, attacks with dots add more, nukes add a LOT...but it shifts as the fight goes on. you might not end up as top dps, but you were on top of that hate table at some time if you got attention....
  3. Tainted0Love Well-Known Player

Seems to me many of the bosses change targets frequently enough or have so many massively over ranged area of effect attacks that everyone gets a portion.
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

I'm ice. I run ST prec builds on bosses. I have one AoE power on my bar and that doesn't always get used if I don't have a ready clip power available. That doesn't generate nearly enough threat to pull adds off of a healer that's casting powers. I run with a healer that is prepared for it, though. She used to tank an entire room of trash mobs in Silent School at level.
  5. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

so we agree...even full Prec toons should have "one AoE power"...and ive seen whats being described btw...and yes good healers can "Tank"...actually a good team should have a mix of players who even if for a few moments...can simply survive...most things...solo...i know there are some one shots no amount of preparation can withstand but really everyone on the team should be able to survive somehow...and keep contributing while doing it...and yes a good healer should fit that definition..
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

Your premise was that any power is running an AoE that will pull threat off of a healer. My one AoE power isn't nearly enough to out-threat an active healer on something I'm not targeting with my weapon. So no, we don't agree. I can be standing in a scrum and not actually have aggro except for the boss.
    • Like x 1
  7. spack2k Steadfast Player

its called Dual Flurry shot, full single Target precision, adds wont even notice us !
  8. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

my premise was most raids...for example... start and finish with 8 players...and in that mess of dps to healing to controlling to pulling to doing the mechanics to random teammates reviving random teammates that fell SOMEONE SOMEHOW ends up doing an AoE...at some point...ill stand by that understanding...who stays in an 8 player where 7 players do nothing ...who stays in a 4 man where 3 do nothing??...unless you are a 200+ going into a T1 whatever ...and literally KNOW your team will be weak compared to you...but then...at 200+ even your MEAGER HARDLY used AoE would be a heck of a attack at T1...jus' sayin'...
  9. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

again...you solo 8 member content?....or you team up with 7 other people...and EVERYONE uses the SAME attack???...even the TANKS!!??? Or are you saying the other 3 to 6 dps are just so much dps static compared to your huge amounts...bow OP or not...if you are in a team mission you are not the only one there...and Prec isnt the only way to dps...might be stealthier might be deadlier...but some still use the old 123 might...in every tier...and they stand next to you and fight with you
  10. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

btw all ...been playing since the beginning have several bow guys myself...i know single target...i know explosive shot...i was just saying not everyone is Prec not everyone is bow...those guys end up on your team too...anyways...
  11. Mobius Twist Active Player

Or, I could be overhealing. This happens a lot any more.

When I started in late Sep the roles were being filled and mechanics being addressed. Now everyone is going DPS, damn the mechanics.

Example, during Monsters of Metal I got controlled. Instead of anyone bothering to trigger the mechanic to clear my MC they just attacked and killed me. One player called them out on it. I stopped healing after that. Not sure I will return unless I'm in a specific team that I know and play with, and roles are being filled.
    • Like x 1
  12. Raptim Well-Known Player

I've never pulled aggro in the 4 man metal mission as healer. But, it's almost every single time as DPS. When there are 4 dps I just take it as a new challenge to be top of the leader board with the security robot interupting and beating on me the whole time.
  13. Mazahs Loyal Player

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/aggravating-guide-about-aggro.276139/
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Slightly off topic but related, I'm always surprised at the amount of prec DPS's that run Sparring A.I. but don't know how and/or when to lunge counter, particularly in tankless groups (usually alerts). Not only does it help protect teammates from potentially taking a lot of damage or dying but it boosts damage and provides CC immunity.
  15. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

NPCs don't always multi task, sometimes they have:

[IMG]
  16. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Melee - 2H : Doom Spin.

Adds Notice Me.
  17. spack2k Steadfast Player

oh yeah i forgot , u are the guy who runs event raids, my bad.
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

ehhh, I run real raids like that now too.

part of running the event is called "getting your character up to speed after taking a two year break from the game because of bad design decisions and the fact that it contains the most toxic gamer community this side of a COD clan made entirely of 12 year olds from Alabama".
    • Like x 1
  19. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

really good healers - use their HOTs (heal over time) - and this can be seen w/two healers in raids - if one healer is using more HOTs their 'numbers' for healing will be much larger - if it's in the millions - it's likely the healer w/smaller numbers needs to change their load out - due to it's likely accommodating your type of healing as stated above.

a good healer can revive another player - a good healer will have active HOTs running - a good healer will try to have multiple HOTs running at the same time - then the healer can use a shield and try to revive.
    I just don't like the expectation - that a down player will be picked up immediately.
    if the down player is too far away - a good healer can't get there in time
    if the healer shield is on cool down ('cause you just had to revive another player) - feel lucky you were revived.
    if the tank is not grabbing adds or not using the group debuff power, or the healer is stunned - this can make it difficult for a healer to get to a player to revive them (even if they have tumbling master mod on their feet gear).
    I also think some dps' are too self centered - they don't seem to understand "line of sight" such as in TTBE - if there is a column - a healer can't heal around the column (or a troll give you power) - in this case the dps is blocking the heals from reaching his/her self.

All DPSs should have a shield in their load out - especially for 4-man alerts - there is no need for a healer, a tank or a troll - the dps needs to learn to block, to use a shield, to timely use their supply drop and/or cola (you may also need to change your artifact). As for myself I alway prefer a troll - I think the variety of debuffs really helps - more than heals and more than the tank attracting adds.
    Ever since the devs opened up all powers to be used - players were so ingrained in their DPS load outs that they seem to forget to use a shield - prior to this I could understand dps's being much more dependent on tanks, trolls and healers for optimal output and getting thru instances . it seems this myth perpetuates itself - "that you need a healer or a tank for 4 man content" - 4-man dps' are done everyday - you just need players - not a wannabe player - AND this can be done w/low SP....

Here's a thought or two.....

Devs - should give greater rewards to players who spend (hours? or percentage?) time playing in the role of tank, troll, healer - this should encourage more players to play their role. This would also likely expand the players knowledge of how the roles interact and are dependent on each other for success. (since I have multiple toons - this might be skewed for me - or maybe increases rewards, or increases the chance for better rewards)

Devs - should also make 2 armories available for every player - this would also encourage players to play their role, increase their inventory space for gear storage and consumables as well. Players might also increase their playing time percentage and thus spend more on the game.

Devs - might want to publish a world list, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly - not of just most heals or most name your stat - but efficiency - this will show game knowledge - you spend less time completing content - (though speed hackers might really skew this...)
    - if you're more consistent - it's a good sign to other players - they may actually change their dps'g, heal'g, tank'g, troll'g to the top players style of play (power, weapon, artifacts, consumables etc)

for instance - last week? (or was it longer?):
    I "out healed" a cr283 healer, though I'm a 276 healer in the latest content for 8 man (MoM - I think), but I don't make a big deal about this - this occurs fairly often....
    I don't get better loot drops (compared to other healer - or at least I don't think I do - I don't check the loot tab often I just accept what I get and wish for more or better)
    - it would be very nice to have transparency for loot drops - spell it out - somewhere we can all read it - while playing the game - who gets what (you see this in loot tab) and WHY

- going back to out healing another healer - it's easy to see the healing numbers and pickups - but that may not be the full story as to why I'm out healing a healer who is 7 cr above me ....

maybe it is because I'm using more HOTs
    maybe it is because I have load out which is more suitable
    maybe it is because I have more SP
    maybe it is because I use my SP differently
    maybe it is because of artifact(s) used and or level of artifact
    maybe it is because of augments used
    maybe it is because I've played longer as a healer
    maybe it's because of all of the above or a combination of the above

so here's where transparency will help the players to understand and become better:
    if a rating were developed: say something like 100%/0% healer/dps or 50/50% healer/dps
    and tranparency - how do heals really work? should I just really just use restoration augments? should I use dominance augments? should I be might based? precision based? or might and precision based? should I use an SP toward vitalization?

so for myself - here's my little 411
    dominance and resto together really work (see atomic tanking) - it would be really nice to have a "dying zone - like a cemetary or something along those lines " - a place where "friendlys are continually spawned and die" just to test healing

since I have 400+ SP
    I fill out the resto 20, 40, 245 (I use focus might/prec)
    I filled out my weapon dw/bow
    I filled out movement/stun/power (it's like half of the page - I don't need other powers)
    I'm a prec/dom build healer
    I use only 20 for dom (due to their requirements of pts = percentage)
    I filled out damage crit/chance 20,40
    I used 20 on prec (none on might)
    I have the artifacts demon fang, orb and starheart ( 2 are at 160 and 1 at 200)
    I use dom origin augments (247) - this is because the augments = <1% of resto and together barely = 3%
    I use dom adaptive augment and resto augment (23) - I should change this to just dom - but time, time, time....

so dom + resto - can be very potent (see atomic tanking)
    for a healer it's not so easy to see or feel or test
    in game content - if you had 2 armories and could level all the augments/artifacts and re-use your SP for 2 different healer build saved to your armories and then run content w/the same players - you may be able to tell the difference.

I go by years and years of feel - having played since '11
    what I tend to notice - in some content like elite - if the boss and/or add hits everyone hard - I can often keep the other players w/o the SP from dying - they'll have a little bit of health. I often go in as dps - but will switch to heal (solo somethimes, sometime not) - just to get thru content and renown ( and even though I did not start out healing - I'll often end up w/bigger numbers than the healer who started and has a higher CR)

I've used my load out for a long time as a healer (my dps varies load out varies as I see fit or the devs nerf the power(s))
    and one other overlooked fact - OMNI gear is better than elite gear (it's why I have a lower cr - I'll use omni gear - instead of vendor or elite gear)

-just one other comment-
    try to run the latest solo content in under 8 min - ( the one w/mirror master) - hint - use a shield to skip adds in hallways.
    being able to get thru this faster than the typical 10-15min - will make you a smarter dps
    - and yes the game does force you to choose a power which does have a shield - but it isn't enough....
    - and it's likely easier to complete this solo faster w/certain powers...
  20. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player