Book of Oa/Parallax:Ultimate Light Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by dr strangeonline, Mar 8, 2015.

1. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Added Advanced Controller Tactics Section here. Cover's trinket cycling and achieving the triple tick. Video to be posted later.
    • Like x 1
  2. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

added DPS modding section based off of damage method used here.
  3. Judgmental Jolt Well-Known Player

New guide looks awesome...and lengthy! Just the way I like it.
    • Like x 1
  4. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Minor editing done to clipping section to make it easier to read.

Added/Tweaked Controlling in PvP section. Now has recommended loadout for both melee range and full range.
  5. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Added Skill Points for DPS role in accordance to method used to deal damage(AM or WM).

Soon to Come by Rokyn - Prec Base Damage Numbers, AM boost numbers and more

Soon to come - DPS in PvP.
    • Like x 1
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Some stuff I'd like to throw out there. If using Light Blast for the defense debuff, it is possible to debuff multiple targets with this power. Target lock your intended target. They'll be debuffed. Switch targets and stay in the animation until at least the next tick of damage comes off that target. They'll then be debuffed. This can be a slightly more power efficient way to debuff enemies. As always manage power for the group.

I've been utilizing an armory for the combo mechanic and then another for the clipping mechanic. I agree with many others that it'd be nice if the clipping mechanic hit a little harder(like Rage and Cel will) but ours seems a little more versatile in options for what and when to use. I like the clipping mechanic a little better for area's where there's environmental objective's/potential danger. It's also kind of nice to give my fingers a little more exercise just for funzee's.

This weekend PvP DPS should be added. For those interested the movement shields can be a decent tool if you have an extra spot in your loadout. It's nice to have an additional breakout to go with LB. I find the most important thing in PvP is to be patient. Try to get your opponent to eat a counter, then go for the big damage.
  7. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

is it better to let miniguns and light blast play out to see more hits? or continue with the combo's?

When I was HL I use to let them play out til I saw at least 1-3 crits from each then thats when I'd go to the next combo move.
  8. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

wait so your saying 1 cast of light blast can debuff just by switching through who your locked onto?

hmm, I will have to try this, never knew this was possible. But here's a question, is this a bug? If not then this will be really helping on mobs like in RTN when there's upward of 10+ around you can just lock on 1 cast light blast, then start cycling through them all til it ends so their all getting debuff'd.
  9. Nicolas Gallardo Committed Player

Do you recommend two differents Combo AM loadouts depending on the situation(for example single target or range aoe) or is there a loadout that allows you to have both ?

If you can give me an example would be nice, and the rotation. Thanks
  10. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'm not sure if its intended or not. I think that it is and that its the byproduct of how LB works as our debuff. It's my understanding that in order for the debuff to be applied the user has to wait for a tick of damage. That's the word I got on it. It does help to be more power efficient but the animation is quite long so even though we could apply it to more targets it's not something I would picture most controllers do often. They can't quite stay in the animation past 3 ticks typically due to needing to fulfill other team obligations.
  11. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I think that's mostly up to the player if they want certain specific melee attacks. However if someone just got the basic Range AoE loadout(Fan>IMP>LB>MG>RAM). That's still going to leave them with enough to get Entrap and likely Light Barrier for self protection/pick ups.

Using Claw X 4 > Lunging Swing X 4 > Boxing Gloves X 5 > IMP > GH > Fan > Claw(repeat) is a good strong melee infinite combo. GH and Fan aren't really Melee attacks but will get you back into Claw.

Then for the AoE vs Single Target you have options as well. If you don't spec intentionally for it(create another armory) you'll likely eventually have to cast an AoE attack. That's not a big deal at all. If you don't want to switch armories then use

Fan>IMP>GH>GP>Fan>(repeat). That's a short combo that's still going to give you the DoT from GH. If you want to spec for a single target rotation I'd suggest trying to use HC X 3 > GH > Fan > IMP > LB > MG > ST to keep reapplying the GH/ST DoT. HC hits nice and hard so its a good starter.

I personally find it more helpful to have a single target and AoE Armories than to have a melee one. If you have/willing to have 3 dedicated armories for DPS than that'll work best depending on how its used.

I have 5 armories I switch between with my troller PvP one only active when I need it. I have a controller, DPS PvP, AoE Combo DPS, Clipping DPS armory. I still get nostalgic and use the clipping mechanic occasionally for fun. I'll give you my AoE combo Armory

Support
    Boxing Gloves, IMP, Entrap, Grasping Hand, Entrap, Light Blast

Assault
    Claws, Mini Gun, Ram, Chompers, Whip Thrash, Snap Trap, Fan

Iconic
    Crit Chance, Crit Magnitude

My Loadout - Ch, Fan, Light Barrier, Snap Trap, Claw, Vacuum Bubble.

I do not suggest to anyone to use Vacuum Bubble for chart chasing. It's not a high damaging SC. I carry it solely because I haven't really decided what to do in that slot. I find it helpful for doing a little extra might damage and providing the group with some power. It does its job and works fine. Try to use it on a crowd if able. Having a might trinket active and a supply drop will boost a super charge to its maximum.

Speccing this way I'm unable to carry Ins. I look for people on my team who are carrying a buff and stand near them instead. I cast CH then start my combo's so I get the DoT and the power return from my combo cast. Speccing this way lets me carry range, melee and single target or AoE combo's.

I've had good success. The combo buff contains the INS buff for its damage. It's not a dramatic loss not carrying it. I do wish I could spec for Strafing Run but being able to give power even in DPS stance can be helpful at times(T5 and up gear will have ViT helping to increase the power given).
    • Like x 1
  12. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

added Prec and SC numbers by Rokyn. He's also got a bead on the AM boost. Likely to be added into the DPS section.
  13. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Sorry I missed this post.

Rokyn did a data analog test that showed in a 2 min period Mini Gun and Light Blast did the majority of the damage when used from full range.

This is of course a small snap shot but does give us an idea of where the damage is coming from in the full range AoE to AoE rotation.

Consider this with that though. Mini Gun and Light Blast both have long animations. So they'll take more time during the 2 min window. And they deal 6 ticks each. IMP/Ram at full range will only deal 2 ticks. They also have a smaller cone than MG and LB.

I can't say definitively that letting it go all 6 ticks of damage for each animation is best. It can be the best thing to do. Especially if its a high level threat and the enemies are spread out. It has other benefits as well.

MG and LB also move the hit counter with their 6 ticks each getting to tier 3 weapon regen(if using BR). Also more ticks equates to more chance's for crits.

I'd say if you want a comprehensive data look at it.... Hit up Rokyn. He's got data logs to back that stuff up.

When using LB>MG>RM I tend to get anywhere from 4 - 5 ticks before I switch to the next combo. I've had the best success with that. Theirs different methods that depending on the situation can work as well.
  14. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

If anyone wants any hard data or has specific questions he's asked to be PM'd.
  15. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Added PvP in DPS Role section here. Will be updating and adding to it over time.
  16. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

For anyone interested. The power return mechanic increases power based on the vit statistic. Meaning if a DPS can achieve a higher Vit stat they'll return more power to themselves. That may be beneficial in PvP to some degree.
  17. Roomba Dedicated Player

Great guide. I keep finding myself coming back to the original pages for certain references.
    • Like x 2
  18. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Yeah I have the logs saved here on my computer. Letting Light Blast and Minigun play out is probably the best way to go since their damage depends on the duration of the channel and a huge portion of it contributes to your overall damage. Think of it as our own personal DoT. I would recommend getting to Fan and Grasping Hand faster on enemies with less health and for single targets; I discovered that it's best to do the Grasping Hand combo since it doesn't split damage obviously. For example I would personally use the Grasping Hand combo on Throne Regular on Ares to prevent damage splitting and increase burn on him only.

I've updated some sections of my DPS part since I play a bit differently now and I actually use three armories depending on the situation. More on that later.
    • Like x 1
  19. GoldMaul New Player

How does this differ from the yellow light of the Sinestro Corp?
  20. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Not sure what you mean?

The yellow Sinestro Corp is just the villain side of the game(for the Light Power Set). The only difference is the animation color ad some of the skins.