Bern Unit - Hell Hath No Fury [Post-Retcon]

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Dec 12, 2017.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

The clock in the shop drifted slowly but purposefully towards 10pm and Ann was locking up, the television on the wall showed the evening news broadcast, more so serving as background noise, Ann didn’t pay too much attention to it. As the lock on the front door closed, Ann noticed people running through the streets in a panic-ed frenzy, screams and shouts of fear echoed off the walls of the surrounding buildings and at that moment Ann turned to the television and the news broadcast to see the news anchors reporting on a strange disturbance near the downtown Blackhurst area. A video clip sent in from a person at the scene showed the street heaving upward with what looked like ribs and bones growing out of the pavement. Lava flowed through the surrounding area and glowing light bathed the streets in a ominous orange hue. Ann, glued to the broadcast listened as the anchors began stating “we are going now to our crew who is live on location and we are being told that some kind of creature is coming out of this ‘belly’ in the streets, we are being told that it appears to be female in nature, we are going live now to Rick Stotsen on scene. Rick, what can you tell us??”
    [IMG]
    The video feed cut to the reporter in front of a shaky camera explaining “James, we are not sure what is going on here, witnesses have stated that they have never seen anything like this, some are staying it is the ‘belly of the beast’ and that is this a sign of the end of the world, others are saying that they think it some kind of underground explosion from gas lines. We going to try and go in closer for a look at who is coming out of the debris there”. The reporter looks to the camera man “Kevin, yes, we are, cmon…..” and the two set out, live on TV to see the figure that emerge from the eruption in the ground. The camera zoomed in to see a hooded female figure, clad in a red corset looking garb, the hood addorned with runes of an unknown origin and a split cape down each back of her shoulders. The skin of the woman was human looking but demonic in its nature. The walk of the demonic woman suggested confidence and power, she exited the rubble, looked around and spoke “ugghh, that took a bit out of me……” glancing around, her eyes found a man running nearby to escape the chaos and with a wave of her hand and flash of light from her palm the man was pulled by an unseen force to her. Grabbing him, she smiled and plunged her hand into his chest and a green glow washed over both of them. A moment later as the life left the man’s face and body, she removed her hand that had seemed to phase through him and dropped the lifeless shell to the ground, “mmmmm, that’s better…..now…..oh, yes, I remember what I was doing.” With another wave of her arms a rock pillar shot up from underneath her and carried her into the sky, like a queen overlooking her kingdom preparing to address her subjects.
    [IMG]
    Ann grabbed the phone and called downstairs, knowing Hodges was in that night, confusion and concern gripped Ann’s throat though she was becoming more familiar with the manner of ‘stuff’ the group tended to deal with. “Hodges…….it’s Ann..um...I’m just locking up up here, uh….do you want to turn the news on down there and take a look at the current broadcast…..” Hodges took a swing of his beer and flipped the TV to the news and a moment later Ann heard the sound of a beer bottle smashing as it shattered on the floor. Hodges swallowed the mouthful he held onto and then said with a rare tinge of concern “well shite…..” Ann asked “so you have any thoughts on this, I am guessing this kind of stuff is up your alley.” Hodges replied “yeah, you could say that…..been a while since I have come across her though, can’t say as I am too thrilled to see her and I can wager that she might not be too thrilled to see me either.” Ann, trying to make sense of Hodges’ explanation “what, you know her or something???” Hodges confirmed for Ann “Yeah, we uh…..well…..it was a while ago, sort of…..time has little meaning on the other side of the veil…..and well….we had a bad break up let's say and I am the one who put her in the ‘belly of the beast’....” The sound of Ann’s palm thudding against her forehead in frustration “dear god Hodges…...I really hope you are spending more time with Maggie…...just date a normal woman please….” A chuckle left Hodge’s throat slightly “yeah, anyway, we might need to get the others together…..get down here as soon as you can” and hung the phone up to call Sydney.

Sydney, stalked within the shadows of an alleyway, keeping a few steps behind a bounty she had been tracking for a few months. The target was a known as a Baku and was wanted to stealing the dreams of many, including some high level people from Blackhurst’s Judicial community and Edison Park’s office of Social Services. Sydney drew her gun from her person and pulled the hammer back on the weapon. The Baku turned and peered into the darkness of the alley behind him and slowly turned back to continue his journey to his destination. A moment later her phone rang and both her and the Baku became alarmed for their own reasons. A roar erupted from the Baku and lunged in the direction of its staker and potential capture. Sydney answered the phone opening fire “Oh, this better be good Hodges, you sure can pick a time for chat…..” Sydney darted around the alleyway avoiding the claws of the Baku. Hodges could hear the roars and the gun shots on his side of the phone call and began to explain as if this was not a new experience for him “Sorry Syd, really….but I think we need to all get together because the news is reporting that the belly of the beast just opened up in the downtown area here and it would seem that Veghana found her way out of the cell I put her in.” Grunts and gunshots continued on the other end of the phone and Syd offered a few unpleasantries towards the Baku before returning her attention to Hodges’ issue “are you serious? Veghana Malicius?? You said there was no way she could break the enchantment on that cell…..how the hell did she make her way here? I know magic is kinda your thing, but with what I do know, it must have taken a hell of a lot of energy to bring the belly up this far after breaking out of that cell.” Hodges thought a moment and then offered his thought “The only thing I can guess right now, is that the veil weakened a bit somehow, something shifted, that is the only thing I can think of right now” and as if not being alarmed by the ongoing commotion on Syd’s side of the call, Hodges instructed calmly “well, ,when your hands aren’t so tied, I need you back at the shop. Any chance you know where Bernie is??” Syd growled in cathartic release as she struck the Baku with the butt of her gun “AH!!! Take that you smelly excuse for a monster….Uh….not sure, I think we was on his way back from Waterside, said he was checking out some things over there.” Hodges acknowledged that and stated he would contact Bern as they were gonna need all hands on deck for this.”
    [IMG]
    Veghana looked over the city and delighted in the sounds of the panic stricken and fearful below. Veghana’s voice echoed over the city “Hello my dear, sweet little ones. I suppose you are all wondering who is this elegant creature standing before you is. I do suppose it is rude of me to not introduce myself, seeing as how you will all be under my rule soon enough. I am Veghana Malicius. I have come a long way and before I get to the task of ruling over you all in a firm but loving manner, I need to find someone, a man who walks among you as one of your own, but I assure you he is a treacherous little creature by the name of Adrian Hodges. Veghana waved her arms and they illuminated with arcane energy. Bring him to me or one of my knights here and you will be rewarded ever so handsomely.” As the light swirled around her arms, three creatures manifested around her that wearing various dark and battleworn armor. “Please say hello to Hardunius, Jourdair and Esota. Esota, the female looking knight gestured to the other two and they all took off into different directions in the city. Veghana scanned over the city, her senses looking for power signatures of an arcane nature but her exploration was interrupted by the sensation of a bullet striking her in the shoulder. The sorceress winced in slight pain as the bullet passed through her. Veghana looked down to see a citizen aiming up at her. Smiling in slight admiration of the person’s bravery, the wound healed quickly and Veghana cast out her hand and a blast of energy left her palm reducing the citizen and their weapon to a pile of dust.
    • Like x 3
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Ann, Syd and Hodges gathered under the shop. Hodges proceeded to brief the other two about what they were about to encounter. “She is a power driven sorceress and can hold command over legions of the underworlds most fowl creatures. She will kill without thought or remorse to get what she wants. Usually that is somewhere between complete rule over whatever world she is inhabiting and a good drink and lay. Anyone heard from the big guy?” Ann shook her head, “no, he’s not answering.” Hodges waved his hand and uttered phrase “Ut ad me mihi quaerenti” and then a flicker of light cast over the room and a circular doorway opened before them showing the downtown area on the other side “and away we go” said Hodges. As the three step through, they were met by the franic panicing of the citizens of the city. Syd looked above to see the moon hidden behind dark clouds and Ann took in the sight of the city being bathed in a ghoulish orange light radiating from the pit that Veghana slinked out of. The sorceress turned her attention to the portal closing behind Hodges and his colleagues. A devlish smile formed over her demonic face and she echoed his name “Hodges dear, how I have thought about you for what seems like an eternity. Fear not my darling, I come bearing gifts for everyone”. Waving her hands and with a flicker of dark arcane energy a swarm of winged serpents hurled towards a group of fearful bystanders. Sydney looked on knowing the swarm was too large and they could not reach the group in time, the three prepared for the worst. As the swarm of serpents neared the group of bystanders a large figure slammed into the ground in front of them and a wall of flame shot high into the sky, the shrieks of the serpents rang into the night as they crashed into the fiery wall and were incinerated on contact. As the flames died down, the figure rose to his feet and it was revealed that it was Bern. Veghana turned her attention to the rock skinned brute and raised a brow in curiosity, “Hhmmm…..you are an interesting specimen….I feel a strong energy within you…....and……” she turned her head to Ann’s direction “you. I have felt this power before, not in some time though, you bear the aura of Surtr….you both do. I was aware his power was contained and divided but unknown is the location of the reason for his release.”
    [IMG]
    Ann’s head began to ache, more so than she had ever felt before. She gripped her head and screamed for it to stop. Bern rushed over to her “Annie, what’s going on???? You ok?? Talk to me….” Ann’s body radiated in a red swirling light, her voice confused and fearful “I can see them, I can feel their pain, there are so many of them…their all around us!!!! What the hell is going on with me!?!?!?!?” Bern knelt down in front of Ann and reached out to comfort her “Ann….sweety, look at me….please….just look at me.” Ann looked up at Bern, fear still coursing through her, but taking some measure of comfort in her father’s presence. Bern continued “I know this is all really scary and weird at times, believe me, I feel the same way a lot. I know NONE of this makes sense and I know that I have not always made the best choices which impacted you too. I swear, this is going to be okay, we will figure out how to deal with all of this I just need you to look at me and breath...just a little” Ann looked at her father and took a deep, slow breath as Bern modeled for her, “Good, that’s good….just keep doing that a little bit more and I will be right back.” Bern stood up and turned to Veghana, now joined by her three knights. Bern looked at Sydney “nothing gets near her….” Sydney pulled her guns out and cocked them “roger that.” Hodges looked at her confused “seriously, every time you do that, I can never tell where you keep those…” He smirked a little and was brought back to focus by Bern’s catcher’s mitt of a hand on his shoulder “let’s go Copperfield. You ready whatever spells or tricks you have up those baggy sleeves of yours and get ready to let them loose.” Bern’s grip tightened around the collar of Hodges and the two shot into the air as Bern leapt towards Veghana and her Knights.
    [IMG]
    Hodges channeled every big of energy he had and threw it outward towards the emerging foes. The blast sent them scattered to various parts of the downtown area. As the two landed near Veghana, Hodges body radiated in a dark purple light and his face and eyes changed to that of a similar nature to Veghana’s. The sorceress smirked seeing Hodges embrace the darker side of his abilities “how long can you hold that for sorcerer? Your best is about, oh…..10 minutes if I recall correctly.” Bern’s fists erupted into white flames and he proceeded to shoot them outward to Veghana who waved her hands and created a force field to protect herself. Bern proceeded to dash towards her and slam his fiery fists down on the field which rattled the sorceress’s focus. The rock skinned brute proceeded to grip the force field and then summon as much of his heat and he could and send it through and around the field. Hodges took the opportunity with a distracted Veghana and began uttering a spell “Concurrunt lapides reliqui aeternum damnentur. Quid intelligis quod nulla potest. Nauticus ad ipsos ne perdatis quae trahitur. Vox autem pacis, qui eduxit est nihil dicere. Et cinis qui ceciderit unum tempus Et plangite ante orta quondam.”
    [IMG]
    Sydney’s gunfire rang loud over the commotion of on the ground. Swarms of creatures summoned by the sorceress above made way towards the confused and panicked Ann. Sydney held the line and the promise to her friend and dropped any creature that go within ten feet of either of them. Her speed and accuracy seemed almost otherworldly as she seemingly at the same time, shot one creature and drove her knife into the hide of another. Sydney continued her defense and uttered to herself “c’mon guys, I don’t have all day down here….” Hodges’ spell opened a dark door behind Veghana and multiple dark wraiths howled as they exited the void. They swirled around the area collecting the creatures and Veghana’s knights, dragging them back into the void. Bern’s grip tightened around the field that the sorceress maintained, his finger’s cracking the energy field as he pressed inward to it, the heat rising around the field. Veghana reaching her limit of tolerance for the energy proceeded to blast it outward towards the two hurling them off the ledge they stood on. The sorceress used the remaining energy she had to dispose of the wraiths and close the doorway opened by Hodges. Bern darted back up the ledge and confronted the sorceress a second time. Producing his fiery hammer, Bern lept towards Veghana and in a fit of rage swung for her head. The sorceress vanished in a flash of arcane light before his eyes.
    [IMG]
    The group collected themselves and regrouped. The civilians in the area came out of their hiding and took in the sight of the group who stood to oppose the entities that just threatened them. Looks of concern lay on the faces of the civilians, unsure if the group was a threat themselves. “Hodges, what is going on??? She just vanished....” Hodges’ face and eyes returned to normal and he explained “She is resting, when she expends that much energy, she needs to rest. She’s no threat right now, but she will be back. We will need to be ready.” Hodges turned to Ann and asked “you felt who? You saw who???” Ann collected herself, the red light leaving her body “They were all sprits of some kind….I felt their pain, they weren’t alive, but they were once….they were asking for help.” Sydney spoke up “A necro-path?”

~To Be Continued~
    • Like x 3
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Bravo Bern Bravo. That was one spectacular addition that I thoroughly enjoyed. The character interactions and the amusing remarks from each is but one of the highlights in this part. Ann still does not know how to use her power but it will be interesting how she develops it. Another is the introduction of Veghana who I liked the most. Maybe it's the villain in me, XD, but hey, it seems Hodges has a thing for bad girls ;). With the added picture of her, I can imagine her looking like...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much appreciated Ms. Benz. Glad you enjoyed it. I do try my best to balance the serious and lighter moments between the group of people while highlighting aspects of their respective personalities. Yeah, Hodges was going through some stuff earlier in his life. Ann, well we will see how things play out with her as a spirit that has been lingering around is her mother, though she is not aware of that. I am hoping to write more of the group type stories because, initially they were all divided in some way but I want to show them as a family in some ways. This may be somewhat influeced by elements from the Fantasic Four [I've been watching a lot of Kirby documentaries].

Veghana is a villain I think I can enjoy writing [I did make her a villain in game, so I might be able to catch up with you in game sometime]. Something I am going to be doing with her [and the crew] is not trying to keep the villain or the chaos in the shadows, she is evil and she is here and the world is going to know about it. This may require Bern and crew to do the same. Thank you as always for the comments and support. Much appreicated and looking forward to more from you and Nomad [where ever he is hiding] as well as the other writers out there like VelvetSanity.
    • Like x 1
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just a bump because I have no new stuff locked and/or loaded yet and because

[IMG]
  6. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Almost every time you’re u offer a broken image heheh :D
    • Like x 1
  7. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much to the credit of whatever image hosting site I use to post these images. Can you see the images in the story? Also, wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the read as feedback is always welcomed with these.
  8. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Yeah, I can see the pics in the story.

I don’t really have much to say, tbh. It’s interesting and I do intend to keep reading. Just a bit too tired right now to think what I might want to say
  9. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    Good stuff Bern! Very nice. Who doesn't love a good scorned female coming back with a vengeance story. Keep it up!!
    • Like x 1
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you friend. Glad to see you back around these parts. What can we expect from you? I liked that last entry you did with Gallius and Manny.

Veghana is a fun villain and is gonna be a nice addition to help me just put all the evil and challenges of the story out there and not keep in hidden in the background.
    • Like x 1
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player