Bern Unit - Back In The Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Getting back into the writing side of things has been a long time coming for me. I am trying out a few things differently and trying to tell a story more closely to the one I am drawing my comic around. I hope you all enjoy and welcome any feedback. Apologies for the poor image quality, the pages aren't scanned yet and are taken from my phone [hence the foot shots]

Bern Unit - Back In The Hot Seat

The city lights of Blackhurst flickered and twinkled, the sound of the cars and trucks roared along the streets below and the slight breeze of the evening brushed over the rock skinned arms and head of the large armor clad figure know as Bern Unit. The large rock skinned brute let his booted feet dangle over the building ledge as he sat and attempted to enjoy a coffee from his friend’s shop “The Daily Grind”. The cup neared his lips and the moment was interrupted by the screams of a woman in a nearby alley below. “This is not my fight…..this is not my fight….” Bern uttered to himself. “Why is it not your fight?” Bern looked around and thought about a reply, “because…..I didn’t ask for any of this, I didn’t want this ‘superhero’ life…..”. The screams erupted from the alley again, this time a male voice could be heard taunting the woman about just wanting to “play”. Looking down at his cup of coffee and seeing the faint reflection of his rock skinned face, the large hand that gripped the cup squeezes shut and shot the coffee out over his hand and onto the ledge and street below. “You know what it was like to be taunted and mistreated, you know what she is feeling in some ways, don’t you?” Bern replied “fear, helplessness, anger….all balled up into a paralyzing surge of adrenaline…...no one deserves that”. Pulling the mask over his head Bern leapt into the air and towards the alley where the woman’s screams echoed from.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Blackhurst was not what you could call a “tourist spot” of any kind. It was a city littered with crime, corruption at every level of the city’s government in varying degrees and low lifes of all sort. There are also good people who are just trying to get by and live as honest and content of a life as they can. Looking down over the ledge Bern saw three men, one wielding a knife and two others with bats and pipes approaching the woman who appeared to be in her late twenties, her dress torn in several places due to her initial encounter with the three men. “I don’t want people to see me…...this is not who I am….” Bern uttered to himself. “It might not be who you are but it is where you are at right now. Besides, do you think anyone will believe a story about a near nine foot tall armored lava rock attacking them?” Bern collected himself and in one swift motion, leapt off the buildings roof and landed with a thunderous crash onto the alley floor below. The three men’s shoulders shrugged upwards in surprised shock. A large shadow grew over them and as the men turned, they stood face to face with Bern Unit. One of the men looked to the other two and shouted “What the hell is this, some kind of comic book convention reject??” The other two laughed and the man wielding the knife pointed it at Bern and barked “Listen comic-con, how about you just get out of here. You aren’t really our type and we don’t to get that costume of your’s messy ok??? Looks like you spent a lot of time on it and I would hate to get blood stains all over it.”
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The two other men laughed “Good one Bundles”. Bern just stood there silent staring down the men and waited for them to stop laughing, “Listen boys, I am gonna let you walk out of here and leave this woman alone. I am only going to give you this option once. If you don’t take that out, I am going to throw you out of this alley and that will not be fun for any of you.” The three men looked at each other and began gut laughing. The knife wielder looked at Bern “Ok comic-con, have it your way” and he lunged at Bern and attempted to stab him in the chest. Bern caught the man’s wrist and stopped him dead in his tracks, much to the man’s surprise. “Hmmmm…...nice knife you got there…..” and Bern touched the blade with two fingers and watched at the blade heated up in the man’s hand. A shout of pain launched from the man’s mouth as he dropped the knife. “Listen freak, I don’t know what the hell you are but we can so gonna kick your *** right now…...Get’m guys!!”. The men toot up their weapons and proceeded to swing at Bern with everything they had. The pipe bent as it struck Bern across the arm, seeming to have to effect on him. The third man swung his bat at Bern and watched as it broke across his midsection, again with no effect on him. Bern looked down on the men “Strike three, you’re out” and grabbed on of the men by the head which fit in the palm of his hand like a ripe grapefruit and hurled him across the alley with ease. The other man’s chin was met with an uppercut from Bern and sent him into the sky. The third man was frozen with fear and made no further move towards the rock skinned brute. “Look man..I am sorry...seriously….I don’t want any trouble no more….” Bern glared at the man and stuck his arm out to the side to catch the second man that fell back to the alley. Throwing his disoriented accomplice as the fear stricken man, Bern sternly ordered “Get the hell out of here. If I so much as see you taking a piss in the wrong place, I will crack your skulls like damn pistachio.” The man finished urinating on himself and ran with his semi-conscious friend out of the alley.
    [IMG]
    “You didn’t kill them, that is a good sign. You also didn’t char them to a crisp, again, a good sign. You are getting more control over your powers, three months ago you would have probably done both”. Bern nodded in reluctant agreement “Yeah, I suppose you are right, as usual”. Bern began to survey the area and exit the alley back to the rooftops as to avoid coming in contact with other people. Gasps of shock brewed from behind Bern near the back of the alley. Slowly turning, Bern and the eyes of the woman met, both showing looks of confusion and shock on their faces. Bern raised his hands and stated that he has no intention of hurting the woman. The woman slowly collected herself and stayed out of arm’s reach of Bern as she exited the alley. Bern could hear the woman’s footsteps picking up speed outside the alley. “That didn’t go a bad as you thought it would, did it?” Bern thought a moment and replied “No, not really. The hardest part of all of this is feeling like I am having to start all over again. I was comfortable in my routine and place. I worked really hard to get right with myself and then the accident at the work site…...the transformation, the people attacking me after, blaming me for the explosion and thinking I killed their co-worker, not knowing I was that co-worker. I felt like after all that, I had to start, to find a place, a routine where I fit in, where I am comfortable”. “Yeah, you have been through quite a bit, even before the accident. The armor from Cytrex R&D seemed to help decrease the frequency of those ‘bursts’ and ‘flares’. When do you think you are going to go into more detail about your family life?” Bern dropped his head and sighed “you really are not going to let that go are you? You are like a pit-bull with that”. “Well it’s not like their are parallels between experiences you referenced growing up and your reluctance to avoid confrontation and conflict”.
    • Like x 3
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Bern leapt to the rooftops above the alley and then jumped from building to building. “Coffee…..I need a coffee” Bern knelt down on a rooftop across from “The Daily Grind” and looked at a clock in the nearby square of the area and saw the time “8:48pm” and thought to himself “Crap, I am going to be late” and shot into the sky towards the other side of the of the city.
    Setting down in front of a large gothic looking building with a single light on in the top floor of the building. The sign on the outside gate of the building read ‘Psychological Support Center’. Bern entered the building and looked at the elevator and saw the sign “Maximum weight limit 2,000lbs” and sighed “Stairs it is” and turned to the stairwell across from the elevator. Ascending the stairs of multiple floors and arrived at the top floor and walked down the hallway of the quite building. Stopping at the door with the sign that read “RM# 605 - Dr. Aubrey Satterfield, Ph.D, Clinical Psychologist”. Knocking on the door, Bern watched it open a moment later. A small, average build woman looked up at the rock skinned brute and nodded hello “you must be Bernard. Please, come in.” Bern looked down at the woman dressed in a t-shirt, jeans and flip flops. He nodded back and squeezed himself through the door of her office. “Please, make yourself comfortable“. Bern went to the couch and looked at it, thinking that it would be really difficult for him to do that and looked at Dr. Satterfield as if to say “How???” Dr. Satterfield looked at Bern and looked at the couch and stated “you can stretch out if you need." Bern nodded and proceeded to lay across the couch and let his legs hang over the arm of it and stretched his arm across the back of the couch. “I feel like such a cliche right now..” Dr. Satterfield chuckled a bit “Yeah, I get that a lot.” Bern noted the time of “9:03pm” and mentioned it to Dr. Satterfield “You take patients this late usually?” Dr. Satterfield nodded “Well, I try to make myself available to people who need the help when they need it, within reason of course and right now, I have the time. Your call was interesting to me and you seemed like you needed the time so, here we are.”
    [IMG]
    “It doesn’t really seem like 3 months ago Doc, but it is.” Dr. Satterfield nodded “It took a lot for you to call and ask for help didn’t it? Just like asking for help all that time ago with the drinking. People don’t reach out for help with these types of things lightly. As strong as you are there is quite a struggle with vulnerability, isn’t there?” Bern nodded “Yeah, but I am working on it, bit by bit.” Bern picked his head up off the couch and in a curiously humorous manner mentioned “You know Doc, in all this time, even when we first met, you didn’t seem to question or be taken back by the fact that I am a walking lava rock contained in an armored suit….why?? I mean doesn’t that seem a little, I don’t know….to use one of your shrinky words, abnormal?” Dr. Satterfield smirked and nodded “you are right Bernard, I have not really been to concerned with what you look like. Is it not the norm, yes, but I am more concerned about who you are on the inside, if I may be cliche for a moment. Also, in this line of work, the abnormal is a way becomes the norm for you and not a whole lot really surprises me anymore.”
    [IMG]
    Bern nodded “Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Ya know, I really appreciate you making the time for me. I am feeling really good about some of this stuff. I mean I know I got a lot more to do, things to talk about and and get right with. Also, this is the one bit of time I can actually enjoy a cup of coffee in peace”. Dr. Satterfield laughed “yeah, whatever you need to tell yourself Bernard. Why don’t we pause there and we can pick back up next week.” Bern nodded and agreed “Same time, same channel” and got up and exited the office. Dr. Satterfield looked down at the chart next to her chair on her side table and opened it up to see who her next patient was, the chart read “Sydney Jaques” and reads “Patient reports feeling ‘Out of place’ and states that she is having visions of a life that she could not have possibly lived, but notes that the visions feel so real and images are too vivid for her to ignore. Patient currently works as an assistant curator at a museum of natural history in Edison Park. Patient indicates potential concern around self medication of anxious and depressive feelings with alcohol and adds that she engages in recreational ‘monster hunting’”. One of Dr. Satterfield’s eyes flashes a quick and bright green.
    [IMG]
    ~To Be Continued~
    • Like x 4
  3. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

Good stuff wow that one thug really went flying! + 1 for having coffee in your story
    • Like x 1
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Great story to go with the pictures, and a most excellent hint at secrets yet to be revealed about dear Doctor Satterfield :D
    • Like x 1
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you Sir. It feels good to get back in the writing seat again. It's kind of a good weird feeling to put my drawings with the story and seeing it flow together. Yes, there may be more to the dear doctor then we see. My hope is to show a world where my characters exist but initially unaware of each other and the common thread they all have.
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Not bad, not bad at all, Bern. I need to read more. For my attention and interest was stuck in the read, leaving me wanting to know what happens next. I also enjoyed reading while also connecting it with your drawings. Great job good sir
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I appreciate that Ms. Benz. I am glad you enjoyed it. My hope in these stories is to not focus so much on the supernatural stuff or the dark themes associated with them, but rather the impacts [emotionally/psychologically] of dealing with those things in a fun/playful sort of way [if that makes sense]. I felt a little rusty with the writing, but I am hoping to knock that off as I do little more. Again, I appreciate the kinds words and likes. Looking forward to reading more from you and others here.
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Bump because
    [IMG]
  9. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

Oh my. Dunno how but I forgot to comment on this. Read it, liked it but didn't have time to comment on it at the time.
    I've gotta say, something about this piece struck me as being different. It was like there was a little bit of my style of writing incorporated into it. Maybe it's all in my head but I kind of felt like 'that's how I would write that part' at the time I read it. Maybe you disagree but that's what popped into my head. At any rate I have to say I really liked and am looking forward to seeing how this retconned version of Bern Unit turns out.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you friend. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. This ret-con of Bern and crew is more in line with the personal book projects I am working on [that's what those drawings are]. Less about the action and such and more about what they are dealing with as a resul of said supernatural and street level action. As for styles, this is a little different than what I usually write, as for if I agree with you, I might say a little as I think in your style of writing [if I read it correctly] you tend to put emphasis at times on the character's inner thoughts and such. With this story, I try to suggest that Bern is talking to himself and there is a focus on inner thoughts he is having about what he might or might not do. I am gonna put Syd's new one up soon. Hope you are doing well man. See you here or in game.
    • Like x 1