Belief

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TITAN ephemeral, Jun 23, 2015.

1. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

Did not get to say my piece in a previous thread so here it is...
    I believe other planets probably do have life but no FTL tech exists so no even if they are intelligent in the way we describe intelligence they did not build our pyramids or any of that silliness.
    I believe everything from defense satellites to Google Earth have explored every inch of this planet and that observation proves there is no Nessie or Bigfoot or the dreaded Chupacabra.
    All stories of near death experiences...ghost sightings..can be explained in medical and psychological ways and there is no proof of them..or any "miracles" either. The Shroud of Turin is a FAKE...The Black Stone was not sent from God to Adam and Eve through the heavens...etc... Read The Future of an Illusion by Freud...excellent book.
    I believe for all its flaws and some inaccuracies Soylent Green...of all "sci-fi" films...mostly gets it right...and any Enterprise flying Lightsaber wielding type foolery saying otherwise is little more than special effects wishful thinking.
    I believe the rich and Right Wing will save this earth...by forcing us to rebuild and heal it once their party is over...I know the rich and Right Wing will laugh at that thinking...and yammer all the reasons the party need never end...just like those who attended the Nuremberg Rally could never have foreseen the results of the Nuremberg Trials...
    • Like x 1
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, so because we don't have FTL tech, no-one could possibly have it? :eek:
    The Shroud isn't fake, it's just Christ's burial cloth, there is a huge difference

You claim that defence satellites prove that those creatures don't exist, how long did it take to find Bin Laden again?
  3. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

FTL - Essentially no, no-one could possibly have it. At least not in the way we understand physics. Accelerating to Light speed is an exponential endevour. It is rooted in the foundations of our understanding of physics that to accelerate upto the speed of light would require more energy that the universe contains - E=MC2

Awesome video that shows that even in a computer simulation, accelerating upto the speed of light would take an absolutely mind-boggling amount of energy and time

Wormholes and space manipulation.....that's whole other side of things....but I think that all complete bunk.
    • Like x 1
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Exactly. 'The way we understand physics', remember, we only 'discovered' how gravity works about 300 years ago, and it took 200 years to get power flight

Instead of simply focusing on one part, the scientists should also be working on improved inertial dampeners and artificial gravity to help or any test pilot would become a greasy smear
  5. dngnb8 Devoted Player

JMHO, this is one of the two the most important things about science people have to remember.

1: Science is only as good as its current tools allow.
    2: Science isnt always right

Many people default to the attitude that because they believe something has been proven by science, it is an irrevocable position. Science changes its position often. Additionally, there are scientists who do not agree that the same factual data means the same thing.

Simply bellowing a posturing statement like, I believe in science not fantasy, as if science is an absolute, merely states you do not understand science
  6. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

The basic principles of science NEVER CHANGE. Science is not just some other branch magic where everything is fluid and belief trumps fact. It just is not. But hey..believe you can fly...say a magic word...jump off ANY high roof...according to your thinking anything can happen and you'll fly away just fine...
  7. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

Science measures and tries to understand absolutes...that is all it can do...but it is far better than any kind of ignorance I have seen...and no amount of you do not get science that is why I know unicorns may **** rainbows will not change that...
  8. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Your emotional responses are clouding your scientific principles. I have never said or portrayed that way of thinking. Misrepresenting statements of others is not a scientific principle. The irony of your statement is not lost on me.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The point was, just because Earthicans haven't discovered or figured out FTL doesn't mean that no-one else has
  10. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I will reply...just too busy at work for a proper post......All I can say is that it's not a matter of figuring out. Watch the video if you didn't. It explains the biggest issue with FTL
  11. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Absolutely. Additionally, it also doesnt mean they wont get it wrong a few times before they get it right.
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Will watch it when have more time, but a big sticking point (and possibly a big reason why it will continue to fail) is if they only focus on FTL and not on what they can do to make it safe for the pilots and passengers
  13. Rekn Well-Known Player

Funny thread, but want to chime in just for giggles.

Current man/tech/civilazation has a very rudimentary understanding of what we call "Gravity". As of to date if I memory serves me we still cannot detect gravity nor replicate it. Just like we are not sure what is actually keeping the Life on Earth safe from all the cosmic radiation that should be hitting the earth. Originally we thought it was the "Van Allen Belts" but recent advancements have seen the most harmful radiaton bouncing away from the earth. It is not the atmosphere nor the van allen belts....it was funny the smartest and brightest amongst us was referring to it as a Force Field because they are baffled about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/30/tech/earth-force-field-star-trek/index.html

There is more we do not know about our existence then we shall ever know imo.
  14. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I'm not an expert on the subject but it is a real interest of mine. On the one hand I feel like I want to convince you, but on the other hand I don't feel like it's necessary (I rarely do...I tend to be more supportive of peoples beliefs). That said, being a big interest of mine, I wanna geek out more than anything...I get to share information & videos I think are really interesting. So yea...don't take this too personal

FTL via acceleration - Simply put, you need more energy than there is in the universe to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light. There were better video's I could have uploaded.....Here they are

I was too lenient before, the speed of light is The universal constant (for anything with mass....which is still way to simplistic a way to put it)
    Think of perpetual motion, it is not a question of technology, there will be no other alien civilisation that can come up with this because you cannot get energy for nothing.

FTL via other means - As I stated before, personally I don't think wormholes or space manipulation will ever become more than theories. But they offer a way to get from A to B faster than light. But it's important to note they do not require you to actually travel the speed of light.

I didn't really address it before because I don't know how to...other than to say how do you know they are not focusing on how they can make it safe for pilots etc? I haven't really seen any videos on inertia dampeners directly. But I don't think there is anything to implicitly suggest they are not also focusing on this......

I get what the dingbat;) is doing btw. Nothing I say or anyone says is absolute, words don't really bother me, I'm happy to say that what I think is a belief...

One last thing, the space is huge, just mind bogglingly huge....I've uploaded this before, but if the last two video's interested anyone, then this one will definitely be of interest too
  15. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

This represents a complete change of principle in science regarding light. I always come up with that example when people get lost over dark matter or other parts of science that fail to be proven by now and base a lot on hypothetical constructs that are not or cannot be proven, but are suggested to exist based on empiric data (like aether was). This complete change in principles did allow us in the first place to get to something more evolved, like quantum theories.

("ANY" high roof btw would also include hypothetical high roofs on planets with low to nearly-gravitation; in that case, the "you" would experience something like flying; if you want to talk science, try to use a language as precise as possible, get your facts right and do not rely on what school gave you on the way too much - school books are very often outdated, as is knowledge of science teachers in some cases. But the most important thing is to realize that sciences really gets to breakthrough knowledges in cases of being able to prove that old principles are wrong; if you e.g. consider Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and come about much older experiments that claim to have proven something by measuring the exact expected result, you can pretty much say those results have been faked back in those days ;) )
    • Like x 1