Beginner's PvP Guide: Get ready to rumble!

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by LadyLightning, Jan 19, 2014.

1. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Beginner's PvP Guide: Get ready to rumble!

This guide is also available in German.

Welcome to my guide for anyone who wants to learn and be prepared for PvP, which is considered by many to be difficult to learn and master. I won't promise you victory nor mastery, but I will get you prepared!

PvP and combat basics
    Especially in PvP it all comes down to who wields the combat system better. I already explained how counters work in this guide.

Counters and blue damage immunity
    Counters are the deciding factor in PvP, because they punish the one being countered by knocking him down and dealing additional damage, but most importantly grant the one who countered a blue damage immunity. This damage immunity lasts a few seconds and can absorb up to 20 % of your health. The blue damage immunity is renewed with every successful counter. Therefore countering someone and not being countered is the key to victory! (no, it is not hacking when someone can constantly farm blue damage immuntity and cannot be killed ;))

Overcome your opponent
    “You can overcome any opponent – you just need patience. Look for a weak spot and when you find one: Strike!”
    Robin (Watchtower PvP-vendor)
    Trust Robin, because it is just like he said. Observe you opponent, look for patterns and counter them. Be careful not to use predictable patterns yourself! Use feints to trick your opponent to do what you want him to do.
    Here an example for one-handed, martial arts, brawling, shield
    • standard attack: left-tap, left tap, left hold
    • feint: left-tap, left-tap, right-hold
    Clipping
    Clipping allows you to fight faster. Find out how to do it in this video.

Which one is my team?
    At the top of the screen you can see the current score of the match. Your team is always blue and the opponents are red. The same applies to the objectives: Red nodes have been conquered by your opponents, blue are yours, white are neutral.

Map types
    In general there are four types of maps:
    • Deathmatch: Defeat oponents to score points
    • Capture and hold: Capture points on the map and defend them to decrease your oponents points faster than yours
    • Capture the flag: Move an objective from one point to a goal
    • Mixed / Other: Some don't fit into the groups above. Read the instructions on the right side of the screen!
    Suicide Squad
    Why am I as a hero in the villain team? Why am I as a villain in the hero-team?
    Welcome to the Suicide Squad! This option is enabled by default in the game's options. The server can put you in a team of the opposing faction and players from the other faction can be put into a group of your faction as well. Behave yourself, because Amanda Waller does not tolerate deserters!

PvP trinket
    What can it do?
    • it can free you from the counter punishment knockdown and any control effects*
    • removes any debuffs on you and prevents them for 3 seconds.
    *control effects and breakouts are currently bugged and often it is not possible to break out from a control effect

Legends-PvP
    Play as an iconic character and show how good you are: Legends-PvP is easy to learn!

Characters
    All characters have the same potential to win. But they still have their strengths and weaknesses. Someone who thinks Robin and Harley are weak is makes a grave mistake. Never underestimate your oponent, our you might end up with a madly laughing Harley Quinn looking down on you!

Character guides
    I honestly couldn't explain it better than Gemminess the Gamer in her videos.

Marketplace characters
    If you buy a character in the marketplace, it will be available for all or your heroes and villains on your account. You will find them in the redeem/claim tab of the marketplace.

Marks of Legend
    After playing a few matches, you will obtain Marks of Legend. Winning a match grants you a lot more marks than losing. These marks can be used in two vendors in the HQ (WT/HoD) to buy more Legends. Some Legends will require a DLC as well to unlock. Players with SOE All Access can unlock Marketplace Legends with Marks of Legend.

Arena-PvP
    You want to fight other payers with your character and show off your fancy costume? Then arenas are the place you need to go to! But there are some things you should know before you enter the lion's den...

Preparation
    Be prepared or you will end up as cannon fodder! Don't worry, I'll tell you what you need:

1. Starter Gear
    When you have never played Arena PvP before, then you don't have to buy any gear, because you will receive a buff that gives you statistics as if you were wearing T0 PvP gear. However, you should visit a PvP vendor to buy one Soder Cola Infinite. This Soder Cola never becomes empty and can be used infinitely like a trinket.

2. Gear progression
    PvP gear has toughness on it, which is the only thing that will protect you from your oponent's sharp blades. To progress in PvP, you will always need the full set!

To be precise, these items:
    • weapon
    • face
    • head
    • chest
    • legs
    • back
    • shoulders
    • waist
    • hands
    • feet
    • neck
    • two rings
    • trinket
    Once you completed a set, the next one will appear. Exobyte-Modifications or other modifications don't increase your PvP-CR.

...and these are the basics of PvP. I wish you good luck - and more importantly: Have fun!
    • Like x 3
  2. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Due to the GU41, which simplified arena PvP massively, I updated this guide (which mostly meant deleting half of the arena topic... :eek:) to avoid confusion of things that had been removed.
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

This guide got an update! The section about PvP gear now reflects the recent changes.
  4. ApacheTribe Well-Known Player

Great guide!

Could you offer some thoughts on how someone should respec their skill points best for pvp. I'm earth so probably dps or tanking in pvp phase but not sure of the best setup to be most durable. Thanks!
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

That is a tough question.

In general, the PvP gear/buff is so high, that the buff from skillpoints is minor, eg. when you have like 10 000 health, another 150 barely matter at all. As far as I know the critical chances and magnitudes are capped too. Being good with one's power and weapon is more significant than stat increases.

I haven't tried it myself, but I think having both weapon masteries of your weapon so that you can do four weapon mastery combos, could be very helpful: The more combo options you have, the the less predictable you are.
  6. MojoDuul Active Player

I should not have to say this but this guide is currently completely out of date.
    • Like x 1