Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Looks great!
    • Like x 2
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All. I know I haven't been around much [here or in game]. Been really busy with work and creative projects Im working on. I just wanted to stop in and share the progress on the Bern book I am coloring. Currently have 11 of the 34 [30 pages of story + Front and back covers + Sketch gallery cover and interior page cover] done and moving along nicely. Images are a little grainy but I think that is just the transferring of formats maybe? Using Krita to color the book and Comic Life 3 to letter, balloon and caption the book. Hoping to have copies printed and in hand to take to a few cons this summer and show around. Let me know what you think if you have a sec. I hope you are all doing well.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh yeah, that's looking fantastic, specially the dust effect in page 1.1 panel 4 :D
    Only problem: you forgot to show the cut on the girls throat, or at least some blood

Not sure, butt had we seen page 1.8 before? Is that the same girl or is that Annie?
    If it's the same girl, got the feeling she will be staying home for a long while :p
    • Like x 1
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thanks man. I really appreciate the kind words. As for the cut and blood, I do have some touch ups to do later and will probably add that. It's the same girl in the pictures [not Anne and not the therapist]. Not sure if I will develop her more or not. It's been A real enjoyable process doing this book. As I am coloring it, I am also drawing Syd's book as well. Got about 9 pages of that done. Hoping to have Bernie's book done and printed to take and show at some cons this year hopefully by summer.
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It's fine if you don't do anything more with this girl (was just a little unsure due to the TV 'washing out' the colour form her hair, butt thinking about it, wouldn't have made much sense to switch to Anne or anyone else)

If you do decide to do more with her, could see her as being a bit of a fan, maybe even going as far as slight stalkery (ala the movie 'Misery'), because, to me, page 1.7 had her going from 'still freaking out' to 'he's hot, wonder what our babies will look like' and page 1.8 he is basically telling her to 'go home!', which she does as quickly as she can and then tunes in to the local news to see if they have anything on him (like, his star sign, how he feels about dogs, etc :p ) :D
    • Like x 1
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

LOL, that's a heck of an idea. I was thinking about re-introducing the "Mars" character I wrote about in previous stories [maybe in Issue 2]. He might be the character that dresses up as Bern and has ideas of being a "crime fighter" for his own reasons. Thinking about Mars standing up to some bullies or even some monsters that are emerging in Blackhurst. Mars doesn't see Bern behind him, the monsters get a little weak bladder at the sight of him and turn tail and run. Mars turns around to see no one there as Bern has left the scene.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That sounds like it would be a fun semi-ongoing idea: maybe every dozen or so issues have something like this :D
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Anything is possible. Right now my initial long term goal is to do #1's of Bernie, Syd, Hodges and Ann. In each issue giving nods/references to the others and then doing a TPB with 8-10 new pages of them joining up.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, that's why suggested about every dozen episodes or so :D
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Hey Bern, long time no see good sir. I'm glad your comic is coming around nicely. Let us know when you plan to release it. I for one would like to see it in all its glory. Keep up the excellent work
    • Like x 2
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you very much Ms. Benz. I know, it has been a while, but I am still around. I bop in once and a while to see what's going on. If I missed any reads from you, Nomad or anyone else, please direct to me to them so I can check them out. Yeah, the comic is coming along and I am feeling better and better about it with each page that gets colored. It's nothing Miller or Keith -esq but it's mine and I am proud of it and the direction it's heading. It may be a small drop of water in an ocean but it is my drop of water.

I'm keeping a good schedule with the coloring. I just finished page 14 last night and started 15. So that puts me right around the 1/2 way mark for the book and its coloring. Then I can move to the lettering and dialogue/captions courtesy of Comic Life 3, which should go fairly smoothly and quickly. THEN on to printing. I am really hoping to have something finished in hand to take to some Cons this summer and fall to show around.

[and breathe] Thank you for the kind words Ms. Benz. They are always appreciated and keep a guy like me moving. Thank you a million times over.
    • Like x 1
  12. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hello All,

Just thought I would share some of the lettering I have done on the comic. Currently have 12 of the 32 pages lettered currently and cruising along. Comic Life 3 is really good for this kind of thing, some of the customization is a bit lacking in it but all in all some good versatility in the lettering/captions/balloons and sound effects department. Here are the first three pages again with the lettering and such. Let me know what you think. Thanks all, hope you are all well.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Looks great, missing a "you?" at the end of the second word box
    • Like x 1
  14. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I appreciate the kind words and the note on the caption. I am in the process of finishing the lettering on the book. My wife, who is WAY better at grammar and sentence structure stuff, is going to edit for that kind of thing before I move to uploading for printing. I should have the lettering and such done this weekend. I am also working on Syd's book at well. Currently have 11 pages done and am working on a double page spread for the book. Here are a few pages I finished recently.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

As always, looking forward to seeing more of Syd :)
    • Like x 1
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Holy Moly, now that is awesome. The coloring makes the pages more vibrant...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  17. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you Ms. Benz. Very much appreciated. Kudos on the Downton Abbey gif. Loved that show.
    • Like x 1
  18. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

hey bern what would you recommend if I wanted to make my own storyline for my character Psidewinder?
    • Like x 1
  19. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Hey man. Do you mean things like tools and programs and things like that? Or something else?
  20. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

just what things I should look out for when creating a story I guess such as trying not to be too cliché or something like that
    • Like x 2