Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

That reminds me to drink coffee
    • Like x 2
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Looking good
    • Like x 1
  3. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Whoa! Someone has been improving! Your style reminds me of some of the older Spawn comics. Nice too see you are still around and still drawing :)
    • Like x 1
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thank you very much for that Mr. Question. Yeah, I am still around and still writing/drawing. I got a lot of things in the works both creatively and in work/personal life going on, so, I am not around as much, but I am around. I am hoping to acquire a dispay tablet in the next few weeks and get to coloring the 30+ pages I have finished so I can have a physical book printed up by con season next year.

I appreciate the comparision to the spawn books, that means a lot, though I think I have a ways to go before I am there. I try to take pieces from a lot of those image guys like McFarland, Silvestri and guys like Sam Keith and incorporate them into the style that is emerging for myself. I have been posting a lot of stuff to my Instagram page if you want to check it out: @DorkArtsStudio.

Thanks again man, I'll be posting a story here soon enough.
    • Like x 1
  5. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Will sure do! Looking forward for the next posts :)
    • Like x 1
  6. Baby Sister Committed Player

Who’s that sitting next to you on top of the diner lol
    • Like x 1
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Could be the shrink, at least, she's the only one we have seen blonde who wears their hair in a some kind of a ponytail
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

To answer this question, this is an EARLY attempt at drawing a full scene picture. The girl sitting on the building with him is an early rendition of Ann. I used a reference pic from The Maxx where he and Julie were sitting on a ledge.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thought it might have been Ann (would make more sense), butt ruled her out in favour for the Shrink because Shrink has a ponytail and just thought how cool it would be for Bern to take her out to see the city like he see's it :D
    • Like x 1
  10. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just finished this one today. Used a cool image of The Maxx from Sam Keith and wanted to pay a little homage to it/him. I feel really good about this one and just wanted to share.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Looks great, and know just The Maxx image you are referring to :)
    • Like x 1
  13. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    Any chance you might create a Bern Unit / Maxx crossover storyline? o_O
    I could see Julie stopping in for some counseling. Just a thought.
    • Like x 1
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That's the image :D
    He would need to get permission from Mr Keith, so, give it a couple years until Bern is super popular and famous :D
    • Like x 1
  15. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Perhaps in some fan fiction at some point, that could be fun. Might be able to rope in the rest of the group as at first thought reading this, I thought Hodges might have some knowledge of what and how to access a person's "Outback".
  16. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I appreciate the vote of confidence Mr. Visor, I really do. I do have plans to put out books about all 4 of my characters in small printing runs and then putting them up for sale on various online retails places, Bern being the first one. After that, who knows. I have no goals or asperations beyond just proving to myself that I can make a book. If even one non-family/friend person buys a copy I'll call that a success.

As for your thought on the reference image. I must clear up something, it was actually this that I used a reference.
    [IMG]
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Is... is Maxx standing on a giant's dick? o_O
    • Like x 1
  18. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thanks for that......up until this moment I thought it was just a mossy log in a swamp or something, now I will never not see it as as what you said......LOL.
    [IMG]
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Mossy logs don't tend to have veins like that, or a 'tip' :p
  20. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just wanted say hi to you all and hope that you are all having a nice holiday and looking forward to a good new year. I wanted to show some progress [if you can call it that] on some of the comics work I have been doing. I was lucky enough to obtain an XP-Pen Artist 15.6 display tablet and got promptly to work with using Krita and Comic Life 3 for coloring and letting of the pages. After many tutorials and such this is the result of page 1. I still have a lot to learn but overall I feel good about this thus far. Thanks for looking and how you are all doing well.

Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1