Batman inspired mask return?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CloneTK, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Nah

The developers should put up new, original content on the Marketplace for people to buy. Let exclusives remain exclusives. It signifies you were around during that ridiculous downtime. It should always remain the symbol of that and not just be given out to everyone "cos i want a batman toon".

They should definitely put a new version out, though. Plus other things like a Dr Fate inspired Helm and Catwoman inspired Hood/Googles etc.
    • Like x 3
  2. NCR RANGER New Player

Batman Day is Wednesday. The Devs don't care, or the DC lawyers are being hyper ****.
    • Like x 1
  3. RapidRay Committed Player

You know, if your going to respond to a thread you all might want to get your facts straight.
    The Batman Inspired Mask WAS NOT...I REPEAT "WAS NOT"...awarded for the 2011 hack.

The masks (Two Faced inspired as well) were awarded to the players who stayed despite all the grief of UPDATE 3!!!!!! They were the ORIGINAL Loyalty rewards.

As it turned out, the 2011 PSN Hack occurred BEFORE the devs could give them to us and they were delayed BECAUSE OF THE HACK.
    The reward for the hack was the "Hack Attack Hoodie", free marks of Triumph and Distinction and everyone having their subscriptions extended. At that time EVERYONE was a subscriber so EVERYONE got the same gifts when, after the Hack, they could be rewarded.

Bottom line....you had to be here at that time. These items and rewards were SOE and the DCUO team's way of thanking us for our patience and tolerance when the game was going through it's growing pains. In effect, we earned them. When Megaservers launched, we again tolerated many rollbacks and disconnects and, again, SOE felt it would be fair to reward Marks of Distinction and Krypton for the same reasons. We hung in there.

This topic comes up repeatedly and I can understand that people want to make themselves look like Batman. The mask is good for that. But keep in mind...there is NOTHING in the way of earning the masks that can be added to the game i the way of content. These were given because of circumstances FAR BEYOND running content or making a Marketplace purchase. They were given to us because we, unlike so many players at that time, stayed, put our faith in the game and it's developers and it was done WITHOUT US ASKING FOR ANYTHING. We were all just happy to get past the technical issues and play a game we enjoyed.

*note: What usually follows is someone asking for the masks to be account bound. They are character bound to any toons you had created at that time. Again, it's a reflection of a point in the game's history and, IMHO, should remain unchanged for that reason.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled "GIMME GIMME for no reason" thread.
    • Like x 1
  4. SuperBell Loyal Player

Exclusive items are stupid. Wanting something isn't entitlement. Thinking that you deserve something and no one else is, is entitlement. Unless you actually had your information stolen, you haven't done anything to earn that entitlement. Not being able to play a video game for a month is not some undue hardship that entitles you to something.

And I'd be perfectly fine with exclusive things in the marketplace that I get for free. Creating these items only for them to be discontinued forever collecting virtual dust makes no sense to me.
  5. NCR RANGER New Player

So where's the New 52 Batsuit instead of that Batgirl Cop-out?
  6. RapidRay Committed Player

You want it. Okay, here's how it was EARNED.
    Imagine paying this game without ANY chat functions, voice or text. If you were lucky, proximity chat would pop up for an hour or so. just getting a group together was a chore. Leagues had to set up rally points and times just to get together to communicate.

Running raids meant marathon events that lasted for 2+ hours. People would be disconnected 2,3,4 at a time in the middle of ANY content. The was no way to reopen instances back then nor was there LFG to get replacement players without either hoping SOMEONE in the group had a friend they could invite or, more commonly, adding the DC'ed players to you friend lists so you could bring them back in when they FINALLY could log back into the game.
    One of the DCUO team even comment once that PS players were "very friendly" because we had larger friend lists than the PC players. We had little choice in the matter if we wanted to complete content.

This was VERY early in the game's history. There was only a fraction of content to run compared to what we have 3+ years later. Everything mattered toward gearing up. I recall running across Gotham instead of flying or super speeding to do wanted poster runs with friends so we could hear each other on Proximity chat, setting up a rally point in the Tech Wing hanger for our league to gather because if you went into the Central Hub, you'd more likely than not freeze and disconnect.

Many league rosters began to dwindle as so many players got fed up and stopped playing all together. The Hack hit jst as things were starting to get fixed and ALSO just as the first wave of 3 month subscriptions were timing out. I've no doubt many people did not renew their subs because they'd lost the initial Legendary pricing package and it was going to cost a little more to re-up their subs.

The rewards were made available by the devs WITHOUT anyone asking. We were not looking for any "entitlement". We received them....period.
    As I said, you had to be here. It was something beyond the game itself. It was about our dedication and the dev's appreciation for it. Throw these items in the Marketplace and it devalues the MEANING of what they are. They were our badges. The things that set us apart from the rest, not because of anything we'd done but stayed faithful to a game that was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to play.

I purchased the Collector's Edition of the game. It contained "exclusives" like the Joker and Batman drones. This is not anything new to video games. But the Hack and Update 3 rewards are of a like kind. You had to spend a bit more, whether it was time, patience or just plain stubborness for that "exclusive" reward.

Not being able to pay for a month meant not being able to access a service we PRE PAID. We were compensated, no different than the PC players were for days lost last week. That's not entitlement, that's fulfilling a business contract between the players and SOE.
    • Like x 1
  7. SuperBell Loyal Player

I'll expand more on why I hate exclusive items. I can not fathom why people support such a thing. I don't see it as being given some special item for pre-ordering, I see it as buying an incomplete product if I didn't. I bought this game and pay my monthly membership, but every time I open my legends screen, I'm reminded I am forever locked from a part of a game that I paid for because I didn't buy it during a certain window. It would be like not preordering a CD and having the last two tracks locked from you. It's on the disk, it's in the liner notes, but your 12 track album stops at 10.

And then there is the exclusive-per-store items. So you have to either buy multiple copies of the same product, or miss out on a certain aspect of it. And say you're boycotting a certain store that has exactly what you want. I don't know why people put up with this. It seems so anti-customer to me.
  8. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I know it's on Wednesday....today is Tuesday...hence the one day away.

I doubt that the Devs don't care considering we are getting more Batman Legends skins.
  9. RapidRay Committed Player

That's an opinion and you're entitled to it.

In that same line of thought, are the people on FTP playing an incomplete product? Do all the games that offer content in the PSN store on launch day playing incomplete products?
    Are the PS players forever locked out of the ability to purchase the "exclusive" lifetime memberships the PC players were able to because, at THAT TIME, PSN had a cap less than the purchase price for one? We were there during that window of opportunity. I would have grabbed one in a heartbeat if it were possible. I know hundreds of players who would have just on the old Crisis server alone.

It's not anti customer. Game developers need to make money. Each company approaches that in different ways. Some do it with "exclusive" in game items. Most are shortcuts or cosmetic items. Apparently, there's enough people out there willing to spend the extra for these things as the PS Store has so many of them, including DLC packs, Marketplace Cash, various tokens, replays and the like for DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  10. SuperBell Loyal Player

I was there, and yes, it was not an undue hardship. Chat and disconnect issues are still a problem today, so by that logic, players still deserve the masks. And part of the problem is the PS3 itself. It was early in the game's history and bumps and lack of content are to be expected. And you made due with what you had and managed. But please don't act like this is some grand accomplishment, calling it a "badge".

Of course being compensated for services paid for isn't entitlement. Nobody said that. What I did say was thinking your DESERVE something and no one else does, by attaching some MEANING on these items, and DEMANDING that no one else ever have access to them, most certainly is. Especially on something as petty as virtual items. I don't see how having $10 to $20 in free products isn't as good has having exclusive products.

Also, exclusive items are relatively new to video games. I don't remember having to decide on which exclusive game I wanted until late into Xbox 360's existence. Now the genie is out of the bottle and companies now they can further fleece the consumer with this nonsense.
  11. RapidRay Committed Player

Never said I deserved it. Just said it was given because the devs, the very people who this entire thread is directed toward, felt it justified to give.
    It was by THEIR definitions that these items ever came into the game.
    • Like x 1
  12. SuperBell Loyal Player

Since FTP players also don't have Batman, technically they are. The difference is, they didn't pay for the incomplete product. I don't know anything about the PSN store, so I can't comment on that. Lifetime membership was a service deal, not a product.

When I said it's incomplete, I'm talking about what is available on disk, on launch, that has to be unlocked to use. DLC packs, cosmetic items, etc. are usually created after launch, so that is a true bonus purchase. Not being able to access Batman means that I paid for a game and didn't get 100% of it's content because I paid for it at the wrong time.
  13. SuperBell Loyal Player

Many people think they do deserve them, or at least, that other do not deserve them.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Not dismissing what you wrote, but you did write a lot and I didn't want to take up too much space. :)

I can understand where you are coming from, but for me the whole thing with the Batman and Two-Face masks isn't quite on the same level as other exclusives. I played SWG, and one of the big controversies that came out of the NGE was Elder Jedi rewards. Before the NGE took place, you had to unlock Jedi through a series of steps via gameplay. For a while the process was unknown, but then the devs set up the Village and gave everyone a more straight-forward path, but one that was still time consuming. There were no shortcuts you could take in the unlocking process because you'd have to wait on the different phases of the Village. It took a lot of time and effort to get a Jedi character going, months if not a year depending on your own efforts.

The NGE changed that by making Jedi a selectable character at creation. As a way of thanking the players who had gone through the time and effort of unlocking, the devs created Elder Jedi rewards that would remain exclusive to those who had unlocked their Jedi characters before the NGE. The Elder Robes and the lightsaber crystal you could choose had the best stats in the game for Jedi characters (robes were armor for Jedi) and because of that many post-NGE players wanted those items for their characters. But to their credit the SWG devs kept those items as exclusive to the Elder Jedi players; they did however introduce items with similar stats later on for post-NGE players so the stat imbalance wasn't so great.

But even after going through all that as an Elder Jedi player, I don't see the masks as the same as the Elder Jedi rewards. The Elder Jedi got those for putting in months and months of effort and time on their characters, while the post-hack players only needed to log in. Also, the hack items themselves are purely cosmetic. There's no stat bonus for wearing them and they aren't the best items in the game. To me it's just not the same thing.

Of the hack rewards clothing items, the only one I would say should stay exclusive to the post-hack players is the hoodie because that to me REALLY represents sticking with the game through that incident. I'd have no problem with either the Batman or Two-Face masks being made available.
  15. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

And you are telling them they don't deserve it. Well, I believe that I do. And it was a huge inconvience for me. These items are special to me, even if that makes me a loser.
  16. owlman New Player

Have 7.
    • Like x 1
  17. owlman New Player

I have 7.Only use 2.Have 30 toons but will not delete the 5 I dont use because I earned them.I am loyal and I was rewarded.One day those that want the mask will be rewarded for their loyalty with some thing else but not the batman mask.If I could trade the 5 I dont use I would not.
    • Like x 3
  18. Spector Knight New Player

The Huntress-style T5 PVP headpiece looks almost the same as the Batman-inspired mask. I don't care for either of them. The Daring Vigilante is the best one, IMO, and easy to get.
  19. Karnevil Committed Player

I love my hack hoodie.
    • Like x 2
  20. BigAl Devoted Player

I can't believe this thread has lasted this long without being closed. They never ever turn out good for anyone and the end result is always the same.
    We won't see it again. Like the Preorder Bats, they will likely just add a similar style sometime down the road.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.