Base Improvement Council

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by comrade sonya, Oct 25, 2015.

1. comrade sonya Committed Player

^ Personally I'd like base auras, pollen in the air, snowflakes, bats, etc. I think that moving brief was a big hint at the technology they currently have, it could've easily been a cat or a bunny.

Thread on base teleporter re-skin to boom tube. In general I'd like more skins outside of the doors and I'd like to be able to decide where I want people to spawn in.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...quest-boom-tube-to-replace-teleporter.273555/

Thread on the size of floor base items. A feature that allows us to re-skin our entire base floor would be great, they could even put it in the marketplace.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...se-talk-grass-patches-and-floor-items.273590/
    • Like x 3
  2. comrade sonya Committed Player

Personally I'm excited to have Jack Emmert join the team, anyone whose worked on COH will be great when it comes to base customization :)
    • Like x 1
  3. cassi Well-Known Player

I just want an undersea type lair... :( And wall aquariums simular to the moonscape. and a regular oven. washers/dryers/ I could go on for hours lmao...Devs we need a kitchen pack and laundry pack lol
    • Like x 3
  4. comrade sonya Committed Player

With all these new windows displaying outside environments it'd be nice to get a really long one that could take up an entire wall in our bases or in our league halls.
    • Like x 2
  5. comrade sonya Committed Player

To some degree 2 & 7 have been implemented in game. Some of the newer base items can go through walls a little bit and we got a cat :)

I think one of the biggest issues I have right now are base items overlapping, if two rugs of the same kind touch they get all twitchy and glitch and it happens with other base items too. That should definitely be looked into, anyone else have any problems they've run into?
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Here's a crazy idea for the devs. Since Sonya brought up the idea of having life to the base or league halls with perhaps npcs and since the release of Teekl as a base pet and was a success, how about having base henchmen available as base npc's.

The way it would work is one would have to buy and keep active the henchmen option in your lair mainframe and then you would buy the henchman npc base totem in the mp. Once bought and placed in base, the henchmen like Teekl will roam about your base and wave to you when you arrive. Now depending on what henchmen level you have will determine how many henchmen will be in your base.
    [IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 4
  7. iClip Committed Player

LIKE * ∞
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

as much amenities there are, as much we should be able to use in our bases. 6 for big bases, 5 for the small ones? at least give us the possibility to use one more for the small bases, pls devs...
    other than that: all characters should spawn in their bases and in league base aswell if not online. they could be standing around like sparing targets and kick you out of their bases if you attack them. in league halls, they could be npc with style and personalities of league members, or perform preset actions (dancing, choking, headache, sleeping, warying, etc.), they would have to be placed by their players like the teekl totems, or like sparing targets...
  9. Knight Racer Well-Known Player

I was hoping with all the additional base items over the years, why not expand the base layout to have the small alcoves become passageways you could decorate that would lead to bigger rooms. Say even a second floor inside those larger rooms. In addition to that how about we remove the limitation of how many base amenities we have to allow all of them to be placed in 1 base. This could allow more room for armories as well. While we're on the subject of armories, why not be able to store all the items in your inventory around your hero for gear slots within the armory itself instead of the bank. This way you won't mix-up items by accident and delete them by accident.
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I'm pretty sure this is just technical limitations in 3D computer graphics. It happens in everything and is caused by 2 objects trying to exist in the exact same place at the exact same time.

In the real world, physics prevents me from placing 2 tables into the same location. If I try, one table is pushed out of the way. They can't occupy the same space. In computer graphics, this limitation doesn't apply. You can place items through each other (clipping). When this happens, the surface textures of both objects are trying to show their textures from the exact same place.

Here's an image I made in Blender to demonstrate this:

[IMG]

There are 2 monkey's in this picture. Both occupy virtually the same space. The difference is that the White monkey is 0.000393700787 inches to the left of the purple one and as you can see, both monkeys are trying to display through each other.

Here's a GIF showing 2 CGI images occupying the same space and displaying a similar glitch in Blender (which isn't the same graphics engine that DCUO uses):

[IMG]

At the minute, the developers allow us to alter the position of objects through only 2 axes. One way to address this problem would be to allow us to position on the 3rd axes. This would mean that when surfaces (especially flat surfaces) overlap, if you pull the object forward and away from the surface, then both objects won't occupy the same space and the glitch won't occur.
    • Like x 1
  11. comrade sonya Committed Player

As an example I can put an ornate thin rug on top of a ornate rug without glitching but if I put an ornate thin rug over an ornate thin rug it glitches. I'd want them to change it so all items can overlap, maybe rule a like whichever is placed last shows on top.
  12. Sooner Well-Known Player

I'd love to see a stable and horses similar to the ones in the Zorro used for his horse. For our bases. :)
    • Like x 1
  13. comrade sonya Committed Player

Based on test it seems like 11 from the original post has been implemented with the new base item vendor. The cost and RNG is unappealing but they're listening, and maybe it'll be adjusted before it goes live :)
  14. comrade sonya Committed Player

"3. Floor Plans- Each base has the same primary layout minus a few minor features, we need new layouts. Either in the form of marketplace purchases or game updates. Players should be able to further expand their bases for example those alcoves could be extended into a hallway that leads to an enclosed room, players could purchase this extension for $1 each. In pvp lair battles players could be placed in a default area or have their expanded areas replaced with "normal" walls.

4. Floor Plans Cont- We need actual floor plans added. Tile, carpet, wood, rugs etc sell packs or release new ones via the marketplace that replace the standard floor design with the ones selected."

These two features are what I'd like to see introduced this year, I hope Jack looks into improving the customization of our bases
  15. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

A lot of those would be covered if devs went down to their archive and take a look at the house customization SWG offered. Also, I'd really prefer command line motion of furniture over hold COG to interact; SWG offered command line and by that allowed to place every bit of furniture down to one pixel exactly. Yes, SWG had some bugs in their customization system, but those were mainly furniture items that were not created with the 0,0,0 on its own coordinate roster properly centered (like the guild display screens).
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I wouldn't be surprised if some of SWG's systems at least inspired some of what we've gotten so far, but I do have to wonder if all of them could translate to DCUO. There might be limitations due to consoles overall being limited in their own ways (not gonna single out any one console lol), and the systems themselves may be different enough to prevent crossover use.

I think there'd also be the patience factor to take into account. The command line movement was great, but it could be REALLY time consuming to get things right where you wanted to, or at just the right angle (the pitch/yaw/roll commands were their own brand of fun LOL). The community hasn't always been known for its patience, so I don't know how well something like the line commands would be received overall. I'd love it, but then I always loved house decorating in this game and SWG so I'm weird like that. :D
  17. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

The command line system in SWG wasn't standalone. It was an additional option for those who wanted to place things "perfectly". There was still the item menu to move things "roughly" in SWG.

Agreed on the engine thing - some stuff may just not work with the Unreal engine. SWG was a AFAIR a completely custom engine by SOE.
  18. comrade sonya Committed Player

With the new aqua base pack we have some interesting new base item possibilities based on existing powers. Imagine fire inferno's for your demonic base (Carlynn) or a circle of protection to your mystic sanctum. I hope they add future packs for the other packs, here are some possible ideas

Time Pack:
    Singularity (blackholes all over your base)
    Quantum Tunnel (players that interact with it can be teleported to the other side)
    Gravity Well (pulsing mass of weight)

Mystic Pack:
    Circle of Protection (runes)
    Watcher (floating eyeballs watching over your base
    Soul Well (wells of power)
    Arbiter of Destiny (have your own being of destiny walk your base)

Frost Pack:
    Wintery Tempest (create dangerous permafrost)
    Ice Boulder (place chunks of ice)
    Ice Elemental (have a walking behemoth patrol your base)

I'm sure the devs can think of even more exciting ways to bring our powers into our bases :)
    • Like x 3
  19. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Nature pack:
    All the different form changes as pets
    Swarms of bugs circling around
    Patches of pheromones
    • Like x 2
  20. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

A waterfall. With all the water items, I think it would be an amazing addition.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3