Bans / Reporting people ingame - interesting chat with Support...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Great Architect, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Great Architect Loyal Player

I recently reported a player that was spamming racist chat.

Having reported him, I was told (without asking) that there was no way that I could know the result of my ticket.

I argued that: -

"Yes, and I understand that you have responsibilities where a person can be indentified from their personal information - but there is no personal information shared when providing feedback on a particular player's status. There's no way for me to link the pseudonym of a player to any of their personal information? So why can't I be informed of the results of my report? If you can't provide any assurance that this kind of behaviour *is* dealt with - and not just dealt with, but in a timely manner, and with an appropriate scale of consequences, then you will lose the trust of the community in reporting these issues. It might be helpful to provide anonymous statistics, fact-checked by a neutral third party to assure the DCUO community that these complaints are taken seriously. At present, that's difficult to do."

I was told to (paraphrasing) "bring it to the forums if you want this changed".

Daybreak's Privacy Policy is here: - https://www.daybreakgames.com/privacy?locale=en_US

And the important part is: "We may disclose your Personal Information to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Services."

This means it's *entirely* within their remit to tell us what has happened to somebody we have reported - they just don't - or won't.

The barrier they claim exists is the Privacy Policy - but the Privacy Policy doesn't cover us knowing what's happened when we make a report. It only covers revealing certain information - personal information. Which is not the same as revealing the status of a ticket.

Even were it construed to be so - It allows revealing personal data under specific circumstances - one of which is if we have been sent a message. And if I am in public chat, and I receive a message... I've been sent that message. Whether it was intended for me or not, by virtue of it being a public chat. So that constraint vanishes.

Long story short: There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to be informed of the results of reporting a player.

Dear Daybreak Support Employee: You shouldn't have told me to bring it to the Forums ;).
    • Like x 2
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

It's probably in part to save time. Having to report the results of action taken back to the player submitting the ticket is another step, added time and another opportunity for error.

Also, some decisions are apparently not always final, so they may not honestly fully know what's going to happen for a while (i.e., maybe they have to defer to their boss on certain issues, and possibly backtrack or modify chosen actions).

And third, it seems they like to keep punishments private. It irritates the people who do the reporting, true, especially since they might see the same player carrying out the same behavior almost immediately afterward, but there's also the humiliation factor to take into account on the part of people who may have been only partly to blame.

Plus, imagine if there wasn't enough evidence to take action... would they still have to respond, "sorry, we weren't convinced, we didn't do anything." Can you imagine how that would make you feel in return? "Are you guys crazy?! Are you calling me a liar?!" Etc.

I do understand your point of view, but it's their policy to set, and there are pros and cons to it.
  3. nawanda Loyal Player

I know where the OP is coming from, but putting the offender on ignore is pretty effective at eliminating annoying/offensive players.
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

It is, but it doesn't stop them following me around, and continuing to spout hate just because I can't hear them.

Long story short, I shouldn't have to ignore them - they ought to be out of my space.

Those aren't my rules - they're the ones you agree to when you sign up. Either you're OK with not being a public racist, or you get banned.

I don't give two ***** about what these people think while they play - but the minute they take the time to type it, is when they made an active choice to break the T&Cs. Boo Hoo if they get kicked for it.

Seriously? Put them on ignore? Who the hell does that help? Ever?
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

All of that is fine Shark - I'm not asking for everybody's status to be public - just to get feedback (and continuing feedback) on one's own reports.

So if the mods let someone off with a warning, when I sent them three screenshots of somebody shouting racial epithets, I want to know that that's a ban, and not a warning. Then I can challenge it, if it's just a warning, you see? Nobody's tickets should be public, but I want either some publicly visible oversight of the reporting system, or I want feedback on my ticket - start to end. I'll be happy with either. The latter is *absolutely unlikely*. Know why? Because this forum exists. Even if you got banned for discussing your own tickets, they would still be there - no matter how briefly. So third-party public oversight and reporting is the best solution *I* can think of. Otherwise I just sue DBG for distress. Which do you think is cheaper?
  6. Proxystar #Perception

It's not necessary for you to know, report and move on. Wanting to know what happened is just because you're after some form of vengeance in knowing the fact that they got what was coming to them.

It's frankly none of your business anyway.
  7. Great Architect Loyal Player

How is somebody abusing me ingame not my business? And how is it unreasonable to know what's happened when I've reported it? And how is that vengeance, rather than just wanting resolution? You talk utter ******** sometimes, mate.

None of my ******* business...
  8. Comixfan Committed Player

Ignore doesn't eliminate anything. It's akin to clamping your hands over your ears and saying "Lalalalala I can't hear you!".

Reporting is the only way to ensure annoying/offensive players are removed from the game.

That said, for the console versions of the game, it would be appreciated if Daybreak would make it possible to report players in game via a menu option, and then also have that be the extent of the report, negating the need to go to their website to complete it.

As it stands I doubt many utilise the report function in game on consoles because of the steps necessary to complete same.
    • Like x 1
  9. Comixfan Committed Player

It's not necessary to know, but it does help to know that your actions are helping improve the game's community.

When you report a toxic player in Overwatch Blizzard will send you an in game message telling you that action was taken on a report you submitted.

They don't tell you which report or what action was taken, but you're still assured that your action has helped make the game's community better.
  10. nawanda Loyal Player

I must have a different ignore function to you. I’ve put loads of people on ignore and I’ve never heard from them again.

What are you doing to make foul racists follow you around watchtower anyway? I think there’s probably two sides to this.
    • Like x 1
  11. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

meh, it's just faster to just ignore and move on... i'm in DCUO to play, not to police other people's behavior...
    • Like x 2
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

Being Jewish without a licence, apparently - and it was the Hall of Doom... I remembered him, and he remembered me from a public chat on Shout I was having with a friend that he picked up enough to get both of our ethnicities, and started being abusive. Yesterday I logged in, and the first thing I see in chat is him shouting about black people, in an uncomplimentary manner. So I simply said "Reported", and that was enough to set him off.

In other words, what I did to have a horrific racist follow me around the Hall of Doom is to challenge his behaviour. That's literally all it takes, when people feel immune to consequences. Hell - I've had people do it in public (though not in the last 15-20 years).

And there are two sides to this. Me being Jewish. And him being a racist. If you feel there's more to it, then please, do tell.
  13. Great Architect Loyal Player

Wow.
  14. Great Architect Loyal Player

Mods, please close this thread. I've had enough.
  15. codyxrhstou Well-Known Player

Oh there are many reasons why someone in-game is trying to pick on others.

Ehem.

Architect over there might have:
    -Underperformed in an instance.
    -Overperformed in an instance as a dps.
    -Kicked someone for underperforming.
    -Won a pvp match to a salty player.
    -Lost a pvp match to a salty player.
    -Left an instance because league needed him.
    -Threw a couple of gorilla barrels to the wrong person.
    -Not accepted an instance fast enough.
    -Not picked up someone fast enough.

Last but not least,casual online bullies,if you've never experienced it you havent played online games long enough or youre one of them.Im joking...or am I...?
    There will always be somebody who will try to get you mad on an online game(ways my vary from calling you a kid to being racist)and thats because theyre good at it.

Im with Archy.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  16. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

the real problem lies within you having a molecule thin skins... i grow up in a very anti chinese area in malaysia... i have pretty much heard every single slur throw my way... now it have zero effect, cause stick and stone may break my bone, your words will never hurt me..

you need to get your self a thicker skins, if you have problem with someone calling you a racial slur, you need to drown yourself in racial slur, eventually, you'll stop giving a damn and at that point, the word no longer have power over you..

this is why bully are importance to have in school.. they toughen you up... without them, well that is why we have so many ******** SJW that keep triggered by everything now days..
    • Like x 1
  17. codyxrhstou Well-Known Player

But remember to like my post before you do.Thank you.
    • Like x 2
  18. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

you need to be more like me.. dont like someone, just add to ignore and enjoy the game.. problem solves. quick and easy.. i have dealt with many "problematic" players this way since 2011.. and you can too.. life is too short to get ******** over little things like this.
  19. High Troller Loyal Player

"they ought to be out of my space" - you, sir/ma'am do not own any space in the game. you don't even own your characters.

considering i've been playing since the game was publicly released and i had to spend $50 + subscription to play....and been through 2 server mergers, ignore is your friend. don't drive yourself nuts over a game that you cannot control how things are dealt with. place the player on ignore and move on. don't be one that adds fire to the open flame.

have you played any other mmo's? i have. they can get even more cancerous than dcuo.
  20. Proxystar #Perception

If it's assurance you want, then rest assured people do get banned for abuse, people do get banned for bad language, it can depend however whether they have a track record etc of it and how many reports might come in.

When I say vengeance there are many people who simply do report as a means to get "revenge" against the person perceived to be violating them, it happens.

Then there's the possibility that if told what happened the player will go to in game chat themselves and start telling people, start ridiculing them and start warning people that if they cross them they'll also be reported etc. etc.

You'll note the clause says "may" this means it is at Daybreak's sole discretion as to what information they give you, if any, it doesn't mean you're entitled to it - there's a difference.

Daybreak have obviously decided their policy is not to provide any information, you need to just accept that and move on, this thread isn't going to result in a change of policy, because they've already considered all of this while coming up with the policy in the first place.
    • Like x 1