Balancing the current powers is a far better idea than just making a new one

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Neb153, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Neb153 Level 30

I don't not want a new power, don't get me wrong, but they take so much development time away from content especially with the dev being team smaller than it's ever been before. So much more goes into it than what most people demanding it realize. A better option is to bring powers universally closer in strength.

In the past there was the issue of not making the new powers "pay to win" which was definitely fair, but I think we're beyond that at this point with all of the new changes happening right now. In my opinion, balancing all of the powers so they're much closer in quality is a better idea. I came back to the game after a few years and switched to water, it's my favorite element and I'm gonna keep it because it's fun, but man it really sucks in general. I don't really see the harm in buffing water if the other weaker powers also end up being buffed too. It can still be a little worse than the other powers while not being outright bad either. I can imagine the frustration of the devs spending literal years on making water, just for it to be in the state that it's in.

Boosting up all of the powers that need it would also lessen something that's been bothering me since I came back, which is how every DPS in the game now uses heat vision and robot sidekick. I wanted the iconic powers to be good for a long time, but it clearly went too far. This was a game sold on making your own unique hero, but is now reduced to cosplayers and everyone being a kryptonian with some venom usage on the side(which is pretty funny I guess but still).

The devs have recently commented on here about wanting to add power color variants which would definitely freshen things up, but it wouldn't end up doing much if people aren't gonna use those cool new looks over robot sidekicks and lasers. The movement reskins are great because they give more personality to your character and are always in use. With buffs across the board, the game as a whole will feel fresher as you get to have more choices in what your character can be without being gimped. You could actually use the powers that you have the most fun with, and not the ones that'd get you kicked out of a raid if you didn't use.

We're getting an update which is essentially "all content is worth playing now" with the intent of breathing life into the game again, and I fail to see how applying that same logic to the powersets wouldn't also have the same result.
    • Like x 1
  2. GameOnGabeYT Well-Known Player

I asked last week in the discord Q&A if a balance pass was coming within the year and was told "no we don't have any future plans during this time"
    • Like x 2
  3. Neb153 Level 30

That's extremely disheartening but oh well, maybe one day
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The powers are more balanced than before. But this is mainly due to the use of iconics in loadouts. True balance is unfortunately impossible because of the nature of the game. Look at electric and nature for example. Yes they both love when everything is pulled together but at the same time they benefit differently to different situations. Nature is incredible for bosses because they have higher health so nature can use their poisons better. But if they die quickly natures damage suffers. With electric it doesn’t care if things die faster (to a certain point). What it care more about is grouping more things together since aoe is its place to shine. However it can fall behind with ST situations. Then you have combo based powers, channel powers, burst powers, etc. it’s just so difficult to truly balance everything perfectly

Don’t get me wrong. That doesn’t mean that balance should just be given up on. Certain things can still be done. I’m sure eventually they will do another balance pass. They did say the sc pass was gonna get readjusted and later return followed by a power pass. But it just depends on what’s on their current plate and what other things they have coming.
    • Like x 3
  5. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

That is crazy and insane smh lol I really wish they had a much bigger team not that I know how big there team is or anything but the way stuff gets worked on and pushed out and how things have priorities over other things just is telling.
    • Like x 2
  6. GameOnGabeYT Well-Known Player

I don't know how things are for heros but I haven't seen a single nature dps on vil side in close to a year. Honestly the popular vil leagues all run with each other and dps are pretty much Elec, Mun, Gadgets prec, and some fire and Hl. Its shameful the lack of attention ice and water have gotten on their dps side of things.
    • Like x 1
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Some powers just underperform in situation and most don’t like working extra hard for same results. As I said, powers are more balanced now but that doesn’t mean some can’t use some help. Nature is one of those powers that’s is incredible strong but it’s strength is in boss fights. So scoreboard… enthusiast… won’t want to run this power. I’ve very unfortunate but if it gained a buff it could put it into a very OP situation very quickly.