Bad DPS

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BlazeChamp, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BlazeChamp Committed Player

I don't understand how you can do bad damage. DPS is the easiest role but some players just manage to take that into no consideration. They will use powers like quantum, celestial, and mental but be the last DPS on the scoreboard. I'm not talking about raids like Labyrinth of Lost Souls where almost every room is objective based. I'm talking about raids where the whole thing is almost tank and spank.

I'm pretty sure every power in this game has an AM. All of them do a solid amount of damage and are pretty much toe to toe with all the other powers(not fire). EVERY DPS should be using their AM (unless they're fire). All these high CR DPS running around doing just plain, terrible damage is ridiculous. A DPS should never be more than 2 mil damage behind another unless they died mid boss fight. SP should not even matter THAT much. There are plenty of options to make a good loadout for a power. And if you're not good at making loadouts, there are a descent amount of them on Youtube to copy off of.

I'm sick and tired of picking up a DPS for a a raid that can't keep up with the other DPS when using a FOTM power.
    Why would someone CRIPPLE him/herself and their group so blindly???
    • Like x 1
  2. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

They didn't utilized there SP correctly to do damage. Also if they have the gear and its not modded that could play a heavy part in damage as well. As much as ppl say SP don't matter. For me personally my damage crit goes up alil , not by much but a little bit higher per sp I spent on might.
    • Like x 1
  3. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

That's just a bad group your running with imo, Especially if the dps is fotm like quantum or mental. I haven't ran lost souls, but I have ran groups were some dps were just focusing on killing the adds, and not worrying about the raid mechanics. If the dps was really that bad, I would've asked them to go either support role or kicked them out of the group(I'm not a fan of the kicking system, but I do like how useful it can be in situations like the one you are describing here)
  4. MentosTroll Loyal Player

this is not a problem from my perspective. I see a truly horrible DPS, maybe 1 in every 20 runs. You just don't see me making a thread about the 19 times that I had a competent DPS in the group.
    • Like x 2
  5. Jumpnit Dedicated Player

Well to be frank why does their low DPS offend you personally? There are lots of reasons for low DPS be it bad loadouts, lag, testing a rotation, using powers they think are fun rather then useful, or they simple dont care and went afk in the middle of a fight. I do see your point of not wanting to carry a player thru easy content but it is easy content so why does it matter? DPS out is really not that important in the over view of the game. There are just a handful of fights in the game where time is a factor in anyway during a fight, and for those raids sure you can have your standards higher but for the other 99% of the game why does it matter?

I see a bad DPS as one that causes group wipes by not doing the right thing in the fight not because it took 2 mins longer to kill a boss.
    • Like x 4
  6. x_MAVE_x New Player

As someone who has so many high level characters I can't believe you would say that dps is the easiest role. Secondly there are half a dozen reasons someone might be a FOTM power and not be performing as well as some of the others (new to the power, low skill points, not modded, being in the wrong spot at the wrong time) and before you say skill points don't matter I have a dozen stories proving that they STILL matter. Instead of complaining about how bad they are why don't you PM them and ask what's up? Or inspect them or even WaveDox them. I will admit that yes some people just don't get it when it comes to dps, but you should probably act more like a mentor than an *** who is being held back by the world.
    • Like x 1
  7. Ghostof91 New Player

Dps is a easy role right? Especially when you have take into consideration your loadouts, were and how to spec skill points, and worry about maintaining enough damage so the team dont see you as the low rank.:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  8. BlazeChamp Committed Player

I see truly horrible DPS everytime I run something. There is always those 1 or two DPS in a raid that just are just awful. And I always go for the highest CR's I can find.
  9. BlazeChamp Committed Player

If you have a bad loadout, go to youtube.
    If you're lagging, stop playing.
    If you're testing a rotation, use a sparring target.
    If you're using powers you think are fun rather than useful, then go PVP.
    If they go AFK, they're getting the boot.

DPS matter because nobody wants to fight a boss for 40 minutes.
    • Like x 3
  10. BlazeChamp Committed Player

*cough*cough* Youtube*cough*cough*
  11. BlazeChamp Committed Player

First of all, if you're new to a power, you shouldn't be trying to go in instances you should be trying to find a good loadout on SPARRING TARGETS.
    Second, as a DPS you only need about 80 SP for crits, then you're fine.
    Third, you cannot tell me someone runs around without ANY type of mods on ANY of their gear.
    Fourth, being in a bad spot doesn't make you a bad DPS.

I would have to many people to PM if I planned on helping them myself.
    I don't understand what you mean on your last sentence.
  12. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

You can easily do bad damage. Random throwing of powers, lack of skill points, randomly picked powers, picking powers because they like the animations, not reading tooltips, and so forth.

If you think every dps should be using their AM, unless they're fire, then you have a very narrow view of damage that can be done. I can out-dps ice specced for WM unless I'm in a duo or power is an issue. On PS3, Wolf isn't a viable option for nature. For nature the WM is usually better anyway unless the content is still brand new. Hybrids, I suppose, are still "using their AM."

2 mil easily could mean they're picking up other people, running objectives, have a weaker power, or, you know, be less geared/specced.

Have you seen the youtube loadouts? There are a fair number of horrid ones. The majority are really "watch me play the newest content at the moment."

And, there are a lot of casuals who don't understand that being a good damager is trying to get the most dps.

I have more to say, but I want to get back to playing, atm.
    • Like x 3
  13. AzraelR Committed Player

These days I make a T6 duo, and got a quantum dps on my side.
    CR of this guy was low (like me), so the right thing to do is to use AM. You do not even have a number of skill points for it. Just need to use the right skills and nothing else.

He just run the entire instance using any skill of loadout and was constantly wiping his power, having to be using weapon combos. I wondered, how there still exist players like that? You know, if he was high CR could use any skill, it would kill the enemies anyway. But with low CR, man..... use AM s**** for love of god. :mad:
  14. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

Sometimes the player is skilled but the power is bad like fire for exp, u can bring the most skilled player in the game but fire it self is super bad compare to some powers nowadays
    • Like x 1
  15. RapidRay Committed Player

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    • Like x 2
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

You have valid points but there are those within DCUO whether they're casual or just ignorant that don't bother to learn the game correctly. One time I went into breach and the group was perfect, 114 Ice Tank, 112 Munitions Troll, 110 Celestial Healer, 108 Quantum DPS, so I thought we had this in the bag and was set for a quick run until when I noticed that the Quantum player was just spamming his martial arts weapon and not using his power AM. So I thought maybe he's precision based or is in his troll stance, nope; then I checked the scoreboard to be sure and the Tank, :eek: THE TANK was doing more damage than him. We began asking him, BURN? HELLO, BURN! USE YOUR POWER! He didn't respond to our mics so we wrote it on group chat. Then he finally responds and thought he was the second dps :confused: ....so from there on we agreed he was either a kid that doesn't know how to check these things or a moron. After the 1st boss which took long, the troll got fed up and switched to dps but in between I checked the Quantum player's gear and he was a hybrid (mix of DPS and Troll gear) with 2 pieces of gear and 1 ring that had red sockets un-modded. And to top it all off, he was the only one to go down everytime because he kept going ahead of us causing me each time to pick him up. I swear, some people just fly through their cr without really knowing the mechanics of the game
  17. Streven Dedicated Player

Most of the people playing this game are casuals and don't even know what AM means. Some you can teach. Others you can't.
    • Like x 2
  18. x_MAVE_x New Player

Yes 80 is all you need for crits. But the extra 100 is what you need for the extra 375 precision and might that helps make a huge difference. I know a lot of people who no longer waste money and marks on mods due to them no longer effecting your CR. And standing in the wrong spot can get you killed and then those top dps that you love so much refuse to pick you up simply because they don't want to interrupt their combo. Also most people try out new combos in raids to field test rather than having an inflated damage out due to constant power regen. Also another reason for having a crappy damage out might simply be due to bad luck, I once went there an entire raid without critting on my heavy hitter. You should seriously investigate before you start assuming people just flat out suck.
  19. AzraelR Committed Player

And yet, many players here in the forum want the scoreboard removed.
    Your post just proves how much it's ridiculous.

The BAD dps players need to see your ridiculous damage that they are doing on the score. You can see how the guy play on your side, but it's nice scoreboard to have a concrete proof of disaster.
    • Like x 1
  20. AzraelR Committed Player

In fact, it makes a big difference. But it is not necessary to complete the majority of instances of the game. Maybe even the most difficult instances. A whole group of 8 players with everyone having only 77 skills points (all critical skills) making your job properly, will complete almost all instances (maybe we can remove HH and Thrones Elite from the list)

The biggest problem is that players are too impatient. DPS with only 80 sp tends to take longer to kill enemies and the boss. But it does not matter if the main problem is to finish the instance. And this is what matter in the end. If it costs a little more (time) to finish the instance, no one will die for it.

Remembering that I'm 210 skill points (in my main char) but all my secondary chars my goal is only 80. It's not like I do not value skill points, I just think it's not necessary to end the instances (which is the main objective)