Bad benefits to being in a League

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Batrederik, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Batrederik Dedicated Player

If your league leader is in authority commands you to do something, he tell you that you must do it. And it is essential that you must be as hard as possible with your league leader.

Remember your league leader wants you to fight like machines. he want you to make cold and calculated decisions. But you are not machines. And if you behave like them, then what is the point in being in a League.
    Maybe not all league leaders are diminuitive, over-compensating, communist dictators, but in my experience, and I say my experience, leagues leaders are just a group of people bossing you around. And if you don't follow the rules you are.. you are relieved of your league's command. .. That means.. you are no longer a part of this league.

What's your take on it?..

"Sincerely Batrederik"
  2. AquiloFury Committed Player

I've only been in one league other than the one that my wife and I make up...we also tried to open our doors for other people who needed a home for their toons. In the league I was in previously, the leaders were really laid back at first. I am the type of person who likes to do my own thing when I'm on the game and that's what took them so long to convince me to join. I was still in said league when my wife started playing and she joined. It started becoming about do this..do that "we expect you to be here at this time on this day". Sorry, I have a life outside of the game, I'm not gonna commit to be there and prevent myself and my family from going out and doing things irl because of a game. They would always say they understood if you had real life things going in, but you always got kind of a cold shoulder if you didn't show up. That's why my league is just me, my wife and our daughter now lol.
    • Like x 6
  3. Dene Devoted Player

Each league is different.. a good Leader will not behave in that way, but i sympathise, I found a great league but my my my I had some awful Leaders before that.. exactly as you said.. setting raid times is one thing.. but dictating your loadout etc please! Pay my membership and you can dictate how i play my game lol
    • Like x 9
  4. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Been there done that. my last league was terrible lol. was a complete dictatorship of weak players barking orders at the ones that supported the league. but i can definitely say the league im in now is above & beyond. we all coexist together as equals, nobody bosses anyone around & i actually get thru content now without ppl dying fast. ppl say our side is dead, but with a good group of individuals, u need nobody else.
    • Like x 3
  5. Ully Committed Player

Great leagues need great leadership and making difficult decision isn't exactly easy. People are complicated and finding the right combination of people that possess desirable qualities can be difficult. I think the best way to approach league hunting is to first evaluate your personal qualities, interests and skill level and then find like minded individuals to connect with.

Aside from personality clashes, a lot of players drop league because of skill deficiencies within a league. Every player should set a baseline on how they want to perform and how their league should be performing. There's nothing worse than a mismatch between players and leagues, because 40 minute Pan E runs, 1.5 hour SSE's or 2 hour HIVE E runs will surely question whether you are a right fit or not.
    • Like x 6
  6. myandria Item Storage

This is why some people create their own leagues and only have their characters (or a spouse, significant other, child) in them. Who wants to deal with that type of drama? Even if you can only have a few profencies up at a time, it is better than being bossed around, not getting help and berated for your loadout.
    • Like x 3
  7. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

My villain league is excellent, but I had a hero in a league that eventually fell apart. When you are dealing with a wide variety of people, these things happen. I can understand a league leader or league members being upset if a person won't listen / take advice and that causes a raid wipe, or promises to participate in raids and such, and doesn't show up without a good reason as to why.

I played another MMO where some guilds had mandatory raids. They were hard-core players who didn't want to waste their time. That was fine because because they told you what to expect before they'd let you join, so you knew what you were getting into.

I think a good thing to do before joining a league is to tell them 1) how you play 2) how often you can play and 3) what you expect from a league. I've turned down invites to join Heros league because I don't play my Heroes very often and therefore wouldn't be much of a contributing player. If a league doesn't mind that you only play a character once a month, fine. But if they really want someone who is going to participate on a regular basis, they should tell you that right away.
    • Like x 3
  8. AquiloFury Committed Player

Knowing what to expect upfront and letting them know your playstyle and habits are great things to do when considering a league. However there are times when the expectations that were set change, and no longer fit your playstyle..that's what happened with the first league I joined. I knew the leader from getting thrown into duos consistently together and after a string of duos and some open world stuff, they wanted me in their league. The day I finally decided to join I told her that I do raids from time to time but mostly do my own thing. At the time I hadn't even learned about roles yet, so I was pew pew pew only. She assured me that it was fine and she still wanted me to join.

A matter of weeks passed before I was being taught how to tank(which I don't mind roles, all of my end game level toons have dual role armories). Once I got the hang of it, more and more pressure was put on me to join their runs, etc.

With that being said, I also understand that a league is a place where you're supposed to be doing that stuff, raids..alerts..feats..
    I'm the type of player who does stuff at his own pace. I get feats when I get them..I run raids when I run them. That is why my "league" is the best thing for me, I keep a few proficiencies up at a time and no pressure lol.
    • Like x 3
  9. Batrederik Dedicated Player

I was once in a Great-league, long ago. Long, long ago. When i joined, after that, the league leader took everything from me. Used me as a weapon, and then cast me aside. Abandoned me, because i said no to run raid.. Strangely enough, That league leader. Would message out of the blue, like private messages, commands me to do something, tell that I must do it...
    And the main reason for this is that,
    league leader doesn't want to be seen as a 'gross' in league chat..

I really don't like that some leagues leaders, want* to take a game where thousands of people play together and have it changed.. it’s just wow.
    • Like x 1
  10. Pinky Well-Known Player

Agreed. Time is precious and I prefer to do my own things at my own pace when I log on. When I do my own stuff in-game, I don't expect people to pander to my wishes, nor me to others. I prefer to play without feeling an obligation to help others. And I don't want others to feel obliged to help me.
    • Like x 6
  11. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I will never become what I hate with a passion .I as one of 3 leader's we are all very laid back .If we raid or run anything we always ask if the person can not oh you better and you need To NOWW lmao like wtf .

I've notice in leagues past some I've been apart of have been jerks. I would never become that and besides you treat other's how you would want to be treated :) .
    • Like x 2
  12. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

That was one of the main reasons I wouldn't do Elite runs for awhile. The leader always wanted to do elite runs but it would take so freaking long to beat it. Once I discovered the LFG chat and ran with better leagues I realized it didn't take over a hour to complete elite missions lol.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You need a new league then. There are definitely those kinds of league leaders out there, and 'normally' they are trying to push to be one of the 'top' leagues where they MUST run elite...MUST reset repeatedly to max gear as quick as possible...MUST work to get feats that don't really impact you much (like a BS style feat that will cost you 100's of millions....or LPVE 'count' feats that grant 10 points). I'm sorry, but I play the game for fun...or if I want to grind things out, I'll decide when and what.

There are a few good league 'rules' like getting so much play time in, or prestige, but you can get that how you want...League 'raid night' runs are good too, as it helps everyone get the content done without having to pug or LFG to get in a group...if they want to. A good league leader knows how to make a structure that helps move the league forward and progress the players without making it a dictatorship. There are a lot of those kind out there too.

Good luck in your search.
    Reinheld
    • Like x 3
  14. gemii Dedicated Player

Give non league players minimal benefits

How about giving non league players access to 5 out of any of the 13 proficiencies and they decide which would benefit them the most for example

No league dps

Might/precision 1% -15days
    Damage out 1% 15- days
    Critical attack 1% 15-days
    Health 1%- 15 days
    Power/super 1%- 15days

^ same way for support roles choose the 5 proficiencies that cater to what you do the most

Of course you wouldn’t just be given this it could work how league buffs work where you still have to grind to have it active. Just flip it to where it’s doable for a solo player and have a mini version of what in the league hall in players bases to keep the proficiencies active (only purchasable through the marketplace)

And if you want FULL BUFF Benefits join a league
  15. Hraesvelg Always Right

That's pretty much how we structure it. We have raid nights on the schedule for Thursday and Friday for current endgame raids(with a signup sheet for priority and balancing and to know if you're running late, etc.) with the availability to throw up a request on another night/time for something older. We don't track attendance or anything like that.

If someone doesn't want to run with the league, well, that's your choice. We'll still get prestige when you do run something. If you haven't logged in for six months without prior notice, you're bounced.
    • Like x 2
  16. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Meh, I'm too old to let a stranger on the net control me like that.

My "struggle" is over on dc because i have all the experience and feats, but for newer people just stay out of drama and use some free time to help people run stuff.

Don't worry about league ranks and stuff. I've seen people get really wrapped up in that stuff and it doesn't matter.

There will always be independent players and cry babies though.
  17. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Wouldn't that depend on the perspective though or ones feelings of rules or when they want to run raids or be solo?

Reading the thread I get the feeling that it is one-sided at best that everyone seems to believe that there will be no rules or anyone taking control of a league to maintain peace and keep the drama down.

Not everyone hears the samething especially when some have information passed down or when they come into a conversation at some other points in the game.

Everybody is so quick to give a response but forget there are two sides to the story.

When I read the OP, I pictured a chat channel that I join, hearing someone barking orders to somebody, it could have been that they were in content, had wiped multiple times and the stress level is up a lot.

I hear somebody giving others instructions, then I chime in not knowing what is going on, then next thing I know the group or league leader chimes in telling me to chill cause I am out of line.

I will not say that happened to the OP, yet it sure sounds like someone who needs to form a league of their own or stick to random queuing, cause everybody can't talk at the same time.
  18. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

You might be in the wrong league
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Guess you missed where I said "...if they want to".

Not sure where you got a custom chat or getting instructions on how to get through content from what the OP said, but sure....there are always different sides to any story. However, the OP was talking about if he wasn't following 'orders' he might be kicked from that league, so that story seems pretty plain. I've been in a lot of failing raids with league or friends and while I have suggested to some that maybe they need to beef up a bit before trying Elite...or some hard to swing feat...or maybe they'd need to tune up their rotations...or respec. I'd never felt I needed to kick someone from a league or de-friend them for boffing up some content. High stress or not, it's an over reaction and uncalled for.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That sound's fair to me. My one toon I have in an active league I don't run often, but make sure to get in every week or so at the worst because they have a 30 day bounce policy...if they are raiding when I'm on her, I join in...if not, I LFG. I've seen some leagues that have a minimum prestige, which (as long as it's reasonable) would also be fine. I do like running with the league guys(and girls... believe it or not), and will run on other toons outside of the league, but if I'm needed, I'll also switch to my league toon if they need her. "Don't be a dillweed" is the primary rule....which I sometimes even abide by. ;)

I just don't have the time to run as many alts as I'd like. Not sure who does anymore.

Reinheld