Augments, Do They Matter?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLorax, Apr 25, 2020.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Story time.
    Partial league run in PC reg. Tank (not one of ours) DCs. We had a league mate with us who could Tank but not 100% confident in that role. Queue was open. Another DPS (we'll just call him Cap) came in, immediately left and came back by the time we made it to first boss room. Cap switches to Tank, our guy switches back to DPS. Cap switches back to DPS... There's a minor back and forth in the chat about who's going to Tank, our guy goes ahead and switches to Tank.

I happen to inspect Cap: Dom Augs, DPS gear. o_O Maybe he accidentally saved the wrong thing to his armory, it happens. So another league mate out of curiosity types in the chat, why do you have Tank Augments? Cap's response was 'not a big difference'. I'm telling league mate to just let it go (spoiler: he doesn't). Now our Tank starts the fight, he hasn't tanked this raid before and we wipe because everyone was just too close together but we got it on the second try. Then the conversation proceeded as follows:
    [IMG]

So I'm trying to wrap my brain around Cap's logic. Is his 'math' correct? Is it not worth it to level Augments for both roles? With the coming of Artifacts and OP gear, is this the current meta we're moving into?
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm of the "every little bit helps" and "don't put all your eggs in one basket" mindsets. I also tend to not chase any metas. If I find I'm having trouble, I find what works for me through experimentation and some tweaks here and there.

If someone wants to just concentrate all their efforts on Artifacts and OP gear, more power to them. I prefer a more balanced approach. Overspecializing like that might work for some, but in my opinion it just leaves you more vulnerable to problems if any changes to what you are specializing in come along.
    • Like x 4
  3. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

More than anything else I wonder about the person who seemed to be talking about their dominance being too high and them pulling aggro as a result- pretty sure that's not how it works.

As for only leveling one set of augments- it does make a difference. Not only are you losing out on the stats in the augments but you're also losing out on the bonuses from your percentage multipliers from skill points and artifacts. Is it a HUGE difference? Probably not- in any event unless they're seriously underperforming in damage and not getting any mechanics they're probably doing just fine.
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That aggro comment was directed to our tank not Cap.

And as for Cap's performance, he was resting pretty at the bottom with us support roles.
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Of course they matter. Not only do they equal much more than 1% (closer to 4%-5%) but they also go into the base number that gets multiplied by the SP percentage boosts, artifact % boosts, adaptive augment % boosts and affinity mod % boosts which when combined can potentially add up to a maximum 37% combined boost. Factor in 5% for a compound omega and that’s a crap load of might or precision they’re losing out on.
    • Like x 3
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There's some truth in that statement.
  7. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

It def matters bro and omg I would hate a guy like that for my healers to heal it's players like that I stay away from. He's missing tons of stats. Some folks in that mindset will die easily and blame the healer lol I wish they would I will call them out quick for B.S smh lol.
  8. Walvine Well-Known Player

If dimenional ink intended for players to use only specific aug for specific role why would they have bothered to include other support augs for every character , The Purpose of 4 slots is for well !!! Its for the same reason you have 30 lvls of skills to LO with Its for Customization and fine tuning of your character , Wonder what happens if one would swap 1 dom aug with restoration Aug on FIRE tank , That's not for tank that's for healing blah its wrong blah you wrong blah blah ,... self healing powers why would fire bother with resto at all ! , This is not a question I need answering by the way .
  9. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

This is something I see on some tanks and I don't usually question it- same goes for if a troll has a dom augment or two, or a dps having augments split between might and precision. Dominance augments as dps is kinda off-base though.
    • Like x 2
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The difference is Restoration actually does something for a Fire tank. What does Dominance do for a DPS that is more important than Might or Precision?
    • Like x 2
  11. Zneeak Devoted Player

You can't "leave people alone" when you are in a group TOGETHER. Having fun is subjective, and not everyone considers slacking off and expecting others to carry you and your shortcomings as fun. If this is the mindset you want to have, then wear or don't wear whatever you want and stay away from group content where your choices, performance and lack thereof can cause trouble for 3-7 other players in the instance.

You don't have the right to do whatever you want whenever you want it and have it YOUR way when you're playing content in a group consisting of more people than just YOU.
    • Like x 3
  12. Walvine Well-Known Player

Ive used vit and rest in might dps but never tried dom to dps yet I gues it may effect duration of power interactions I know its not needed for pulling aggro in non tank power sets , Maybe it up the damage recieve capacity of imulation out side tank role ! Apparently Earth set dom specifically increases defence instead of health for othere tank sets.
  13. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Now I assume you are speaking of origin augments and not adaptive augments. I do my adaptive augments differently then my origin by keeping one from the previous episode and one from the new episode until I'm convinced I don't have a serious stat loss.

Having said that, my tanks only worked on Dominance adaptive augments. That is their primary role. If I only had one toon that I played both roles on, that would be a different story. My tanks usually make it through solo and duo content just fine in DPS stance with Dominance adaptive augments. If they have to DPS in a raid, they likely won't be top DPS and I'm fine with that. I only work on their Dominance origin augments so their DPS stats aren't super high; stats based on what they get from gear, SP and artifacts. I do put DPS specific origin augments in their DPS armories though.
  14. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

Nobody but trolls should ever use vitalization augments- vitalization only affects the power back from a troll's group power heal, it doesn't affect passive power regeneration or power back from weapon attacks.
    • Like x 1
  15. dresserball Dedicated Player

It doesn't matter when people continue to carry them through content.

It felt like that in LPVE. There I was working my butt off to get it done quick. I used a good rotation. My fellow league mates would kick butt too. However this one toon would always pug in. They wouldn't put out any good damage. Would stop in the middle of fights. In the end, they have all the LPVE feats and I do not. I am sure I put more work in then they did.

But it doesn't matter if I did more or not.
    They still got the reward and didn't have to do anything they didn't want to. Same in your case. That dude sounds like he is playing smart. Don't worry about the score card if the goal is just to beat the content. That dude is the smart one.
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

All stats matter. SP, gear, Augments, Artifacts, generator mods, league proficiencies. It all matters.

With that being said I personally don't care how people spec. All I ask is you pull your weight or I send you shoe shopping.
  17. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

After playing for a while you can notice some trends that could indicate trouble- kind of like on the forums.
    [IMG]
  18. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

dps numbers matter...surviving matters too...dom adds to shields....you know how much dps is done flat on your A...negative 2...youre doing nothing youre knocked...whatever the guy was doing before he picked you up is gone too...cause hes picking you up now...yes??
  19. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Try saying that to other players of online MMOs though. You think other game's players would be like "yeah dude you have no clue how to play this game but sure we can carry you and you can go on being ignorant on how to play the game properly"? I honestly don't get the noob mindset I'm really befuddled on this. If you log in to DCUO you have internet access and if you have WiFi you can use Google to look up the thousands and thousands of help content of wikis/blogs/this forum/YouTube videos. Or you know you can even Shout out in HoD/WT and usually some veteran players will be willing to help. Thing is noobs like in Lorax example refuse to do that and get combative if you give em advice. It's getting real old you guys. Just saying
    • Like x 2
  20. dresserball Dedicated Player

So did you boot that guy or not? Sounds like you thought he wasn't pulling his weight.