ATT SOE DEVS: Mental damage base values need adjusting immediately.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Disasterpiece, Mar 19, 2013.

1. sc00basteve New Player

Nope. Cause mental has nothing wrong with it, besides being too powerful.
    Please stop. You'll only get nerfed.
  2. Dreadwolf New Player

... geez... Well, Gotta thank you though Scoobs, you pushed the thread into 16 pages (^_-)
  3. Potent New Player

actually I believe the thread is addressing the OVER consistency found in the mental power set.
    • Like x 1
  4. Plutocracy New Player

[IMG]
  5. La Chupacabra New Player

So we're addressing the inconsistency that is Mental's consistency, in an inconsistent manner, consistently.
  6. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Normally I would agree with this statement (except for the "too powerful" part) but it's still not the point of this thread. Also, it's not that the powers themselves react differently. More like they have different requirements to get their best damage, but their best damage is the same as the other their other powers. Their AoEs are also generally the same.

Consider Cryokinesis and Psychic Shock for example. It doesn't matter if the opponents get dazed or terrified. Both are really just different means of interactions, but in the end, the results are the same. If Cryokinesis can deal 500 damage, Psychic Shock can also do practically the same damage. Now the thing is, Psychic Shock also has a significantly lower power cost and, while its damage bonus is also slightly lower, that doesn't really make a lot of difference. If you were to choose between the two, will you pick then?

Same goes for Psychic Resonance, Phantom Flames and, to some extent, Telekinetic Push. In the end, due to their similarities, there's always one power that trumps all of them, save for a couple of very specific situations. And, if one power trumps all of them, why bother using the rest?

This is the point that Disaster's trying to say, at least I think so. It's not about being too powerful or too weak. It's about being the powers being too similar, it's redundant.

Not that I'm saying I completely agree with him though. My opinion still stands as, for me, the real problem is how people are handling this. Mental could have been a better team player thanks to their powers' secondary interactions. It's just that people are too focused on proving that they can and should only handle with themselves.
    • Like x 3
  7. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

still waiting on updated pi numbers
    surely OP will deliver :p
  8. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Not really. We're addressing that the base damages are too similar (see above post), not about the fact that the Telekinesis tree has a harder time landing a much more consistent power interaction, that it causes it to have an inconsistent damage out. Besides, the Illusions tree don't have the same problems of inconsistency yet they're part of this topic.
  9. Disasterpiece New Player

So sorry, I thought I posted it but apparently I must have not pressed "post reply". My girlfriend and I have just adopted a new puppy so we've been busy puppy-proofing the house. >.>

Did the exact same testing, same circumstances, same numbers. So the theory that PC and PS3 base values with PI are different looks like a pretty valid theory.
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Except I'm also a PC player who's agreeing with Sore's numbers. Valid or not, I think the theory can still be disproven.
  11. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

i'm not going to be home this weekend and thats when I have enough free time to do damage testing so I can't help out :(
  12. BrotherMutant New Player

I thought the real issue in the post was that the TK tree is practically invalid when you can get the same damage (and even multitarget damage) better/easier to set with PI/whatev from the Illusions tree.

The point I think is most disturbing is that all the SINGLE target attacks hit like the multitarget attacks if you are attacking ONLY one target. Shouldn't those single target attacks be hittin like a brickshiz house? I would assume the reason for going single target was to INFLICT MORE damage to ONE target, but if I can do that with PF or PS then why even dip into the TK tree? Unless you are trying to make a hybrid build in which case you need TK and PE ONLY (which is a total waste of a PP IMHO).

IF all I mention above is true (and no I don't have all the numbers in front of me, I am at work), then the TK tree is pretty much only for trollers? Can that be what the devs wanted? I guess I can see it as when I troll with mental the only powers I get are in the TK tree for the bubbles and encasements and the popping of the bubbles/encasements. PLus the Psychic Empowerment and PoT move of course. That's 5 powers right there, leaving one slot for my SC ability (usually the team bub but now more likely Speed Drain or WoP).
  13. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Actually, almost all the single target abilities do more damage than the multi-target attacks (sans cast time powers and Psychic Resonance destroying encasements). Both Pyrokinesis and Thought Bubble have DoTs that would actually net more damage than multi-target powers hitting 4 enemies. When there are objects around, Telekinesis is also quite terrifying in itself. Menace is more of a weapon buff. Granted, it deals similar damage to Psychic Shock, but amongst other weapon buffs, that also means Menace deals the most damage per tick. Terrorize is self-explanatory. About the only single target ability that falls short is Horrific Visage.
  14. BrotherMutant New Player

Horrific visage? Really? I always heard it was invaluable to morph a bad guy (totally removes them from the fight does it not?). And I would never rely on TK's throwing things around for damage, too rare to see them now that the meteors don't stay around, but they did rock (pardon the pun) back in the day. I use pyro and TB to great effect, dont get me wrong, but the ticks never last on single targets as long as needed (waste of damage). The damage proc (menace?) is unholy when thrown with a weapon that hits enough times to see most of those procs fire off.

Don't forget those PI interactions for Pyro are hard to get in DPS stance from POWER use. Weapons, sure. Powers really get hosed on the TK side when we are in DPS stance. As a troller that likes doing damage, I LUV the TK tree. Thought bubble and Psy res alone do HUGE aoe damage for me but the BUBBLES get the other teammates pissed usually, which is a dam shame. Honestly, if TK could reliably LIFT a guy when in DPS stance, I wouldn't have a problem with the TK tree at all as the TK+Pyro attack is CHEAP and dam fun (in troller stance, would be better with the +dmg buffs of course).
  15. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

i don't think you actually have to lev them to get the pi, pretty sure it applies dazed regardless of dom
  16. BrotherMutant New Player

I'm gonna go check that. Would be nice if it did it in raids.
  17. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I was talking about the damage component for Horrific Visage. It's not really all that great, but the control effects are awesome, yes.

Menace also procs off powers so it's not really that bad.

You really only need to apply Daze on your opponents to get an interaction off Pyro. Which, of course, Telekinesis applies, so you'll actually be using it either way.
  18. BerzerkerUnit New Player

I was Mental Since Launch, switched to Ice, then Earth for concept. I made a new Mental Toon (3 actually) after the myriad revamps.

As a very experienced player I can destroy with illusions, but TK is super niche. Bubbling reapers in CC that have to be carted to nodes, set it and forget it TK, and PE for raids. Pyro and Cryo are both too expensive, cast times are a joke unless your Home Turfed for Enduring Dmg.

Mental's TK tree needs a fix. I'd be fine if they dropped the base Dmg on MassLev and made it instant cast. But I've said this before.

You're getting lost in numbers which don't accurately reflect the play experience. Just make the set fun to play, six seconds of raver dancing and posturing is not fun. Even 3 seconds of raver dancing is pushing it. That's what should be addressed.
    • Like x 1
  19. BrotherMutant New Player

I did not know this part. I assumed it was like the proc on NVB which I believe is weapon damage proc. I use HBs to capitalize on Power regen and single target damage so it isn't a concern but I if could so easily slap powers on my target to get the proc, that would be so nice.

Quick question, does it proc of of the DoTs from pyro or thought bubble or just the first burst of damage?
  20. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

It doesn't proc from DoTs. Same with Mass Terror and Phantom Flames. Definitely won't proc from Mass Hysteria pets. It can, however, proc off Terror Tendrils despite its slow projectile movement, and either ticks from Terrorize. Possibly Bolt Barrage as well.