Artifact Auto-scrolling is a no go.......... please remove

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Knarlydude, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Auto-scrolling is as bad as if not worse than trying to read the ticker tape feat messages.

Pleas remove & TY. :)
    • Like x 7
  2. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I agree. I would rather it stay as is (on Live) where I can scroll and read at my own pace.
    • Like x 2
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I thought it was bugged out at first. It was literally making my eyes cross. I would get to an end of a sentence and the damn thing would bump down or up:mad: . That would send my eyes all over the place trying to find where I was reading.:mad: definitely not a good feature.
  4. Carp Developer

Using a controller, you can scroll manually, so this is mainly a concern when using mouse/keyboard which is where the auto-scroll kicks in.

We do still want to move towards scrolling tooltips, because the previous solution of shrinking text in the tooltip once maximum height is reached will soon no longer be viable with the current trend among artifacts. This is tricky one, because we can't use normal mouse scrolling paradigms for tooltips.

Right now I'm considering using Mouse Button 3 for doing something with tooltip scrolling. One idea would be to have MB3 toggle auto-scrolling on and off. However, I'm actually leaning towards having MB3 toggle the scroll to the bottom or top of the tooltip. So for example, if you're at the top and you click MB3, you'll scroll straight down to the bottom and stay there until you press MB3 again and then you'll go back to the top.

I probably won't start fixing this up for another day or two, so if I'm happy to think about other solutions if anyone would like to comment or post ideas. Thanks for your feedback so far, and thanks for your patience while we work this out!
    • Like x 4
  5. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I play on PC and don't use a controller, so this is completely irrelevant to me. Please fix this for PC players.
    • Like x 3
  6. Carp Developer

Yes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I mentioned that only to acknowledge that this is primarily an issue for people playing on PC with keyboard/mouse, and to indicate why we attempted the auto-scroll solution in the first place. There doesn't seem to be anything outwardly problematic about scrolling with a controller, so any new solutions we try will only affect people playing with keyboard/mouse.
  7. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Can there just be a toggle in the settings to turn the feature off? The concept itself doesn't bother me but personally I don't want the text im trying to read scroll every 2 seconds where I can't even read it that quickly. Have the auto scroll on by default but just give us the option to turn it off in the gameplay or UI settings and I think that would fix any concerns.
  8. Knarlydude Loyal Player

As long as you don't have auto scroll most PC players will not care what you do.
    PC players do not need that or want auto scroll. IMO, It's reminiscent of the old 80's-90's game boy.
    [IMG]xD

Most mice nowadays also have the wheel for scrolling.
    [IMG]

Make the box wider. Add a tab or a button for a second page for the description.
    Add a second box if you need too.

If it gets to a point where you think auto scroll is needed. Please just add a tab or a button for another box or a page.
    Scrolling down some of then menus that you guys have made is absolutely horrendous.
    • Like x 1
  9. Anak Panah Well-Known Player

Hi,

I don't understand why no auto-scrolling, but manually scrolling on PC would be an issue.

We have other areas where it is possible to scroll with the mouse like e.g. the inventory, the bank or if you press F1 to the the combo overview, so the programming code for it must be in there somewhere.

Auto-scrolling is an absolute pain in the rear. It is not a comfort at all. Please remove it.

AP
    • Like x 2
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

Seconded. The auto scrolling is annoying.
    • Like x 1
  11. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Thank you for working on this. I really appreciate the more detailed tooltips, so I’m glad that trend is continuing. I’m good with using MB3 as a sort of page down button. However, keep in mind, a lot of people using the keyboard/mouse have their mouse buttons reconfigured for gaming. I don’t know what your constraints are, but maybe consider using a keyboard button, like pg dn or end or holding the left mouse button.
  12. spack2k Steadfast Player

I am using a Laptop and no Mouse, can u plz tell me whats the equivalent to a Mouse Button 3 on a Keyboard ?
  13. Anak Panah Well-Known Player

PageDown/-Up
    CursorDown/-Up
  14. spack2k Steadfast Player

yeah those keys cant be found on a laptop , maybe Fn+ Arrow UP/Down, will have to check when i am home.
  15. Knarlydude Loyal Player

[IMG]

or

Go to your key bindings and put it wherever you want.

IMO, I would get a mouse. Track pads kinda suck.
    • Like x 1
  16. Aerith Rose Committed Player

I play on PC. I am sure you are working hard on this. I have to say the though the auto scroll is horrible. It moves to fast to actually read anything. It almost gives me a headache. I much prefer the way it used to be. Where I could scroll it myself.
  17. MiLady Well-Known Player

Im on a PC and use the keyboard/mouse. I am not a big fan of the auto-scroll feature. When trying to read the text, the feature kicks in and I have to wait for it to scroll back up. I understand the problem with longer text descriptions and how to best display it. My preference would be to include a setting to turn On/Off this feature. The M3 solution is ok with me also.
  18. Anak Panah Well-Known Player

Thanks to the devs for coming up with a solution to this issue. :)