Another Tank Retiring

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Mar 6, 2014.

1. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I thought the same thing at first, until Jens posted in it and it made it magically come back to life. LOL
    • Like x 1
  2. BossJohnson Active Player

You could implement more mechanics, or evolving mechanics as you push phases in an encounter, but based on history i'm pretty sure the bulk of the responses would be outrage. All boss fights need to be tank and spank dps races... i mean we are in a thread that started due a group that is geared enough to do AnB but hasn't quite wrapped there minds around scripted aggro drops/attacks.
    • Like x 3
  3. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

• Like x 1
  4. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

Spytle the necro-poster!
    • Like x 1
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

There was a very good reason I did not do so at the time I started this thread, and there are a couple reasons I continue not to do so in most runs:
    1. At the time, it was unknown whether trapping/body blocking Hank was an exploit. We've learned since that while it was not originally intended, it falls into a gray area since Hank still continues to try to attack and does not become a sparring target.
    2. Even knowing it is okay to block Hank from the group, I find it makes the fight rather dull. If bosses were meant to be tank and spank all the time, the rest of the group might as well just be fighting sparring targets while the tank takes all the risks. Why should the tank have all the fun?
    3. This one is the most important: In many PUGs, the controllers have a hard time keeping track of the Manhunters. There are often times when my tank is controlling 3-4 Manhunters, making it very difficult to be in position to also body block Hank.
    I think something that alerts the group to scripted attacks would be great, but I also understand the DCUO team's reluctance to do so given how much past work would need to be revisited. As to the rest, the retirement turned into a 5-6 month break. I'm also already in a league, but our members are not incredibly active.

Our league has 300+ members, but only 4-8 log in regularly and rarely at the same time. With as much work as me and those few put into getting our league hall and decorating it, I do not think we would feel comfortable abandoning that effort. What this game could really use is a method for recruiting in the game; few people visit the forums, and finding like-minded people through PUGs is difficult due to most players being silent when I am friendly in group chat. There's always LFG for finding members to join leagues, but that's a crap shoot in terms of what type of player we might get.

A few other games have a league-finder tool for players who are looking for leagues to browse and read about each league that is open to recruiting. League leaders in those games can also browse a list of names for players who are not part of a league, which allows them to send messages to those players and find out if they'd be a good fit. Something similar in this game would go a long way toward league development.
  6. Neuro New Player

How about a co-routine hooked to the detaunt function which makes an icon appear right under its health bar; indicating that the boss is attacking randomly? And once the boss is taunted again, the icon disappears. if there's no place under the health bar, you could tint or exchange the yellow/orange boss icon (silhouette of a man pumping his muscles, left of the health bar).

I think this would immensely improve messaging for both tanks and group members, and shift tanking experience towards actually knowing, instead of just guessing when bosses or adds need to be taunted again