An Anger-Fueled Guide to Rage

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TDSK, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Fighter Well-Known Player

Thank you TrexLight. The weapon buff and sodekick are a given for Precision of course but thank you for the rest of your input as well. It is what I was looking for. I will start with you recommendations!
  2. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

Dps “protection” question. New to rage, been playing it about a month. For melee, most guides I’ve seen use redirect rage for protection, but I recently gave severe punishment a shot, and it seems to be keeping me alive much better (I use galling eruption at all times, but most of the time, I can time outrage to avoid the crash 100%). Also get the bonus of a decent size dot. Just curious if there is a reason most use rr instead.
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

I haven't seen any good guides that talk about Redirected Rage for protection. As a dps, the shield only absorbs around 10k damage which is kinda nothing. Severe Punishment is always the better choice for melee since it counters the damage you receive, makes it easier for healers and, as you mentioned, it has a DoT for extra damage.

Instead of galling eruption I also recommend Violence for more single target damage because it is the stronger DoT and you carry it with you - there is no risk of losing the DoT when the boss leaves the AoE field.
  4. Calculations New Player

Can anyone do a mathematical comparison similar to the tank vs tank thread on Dom or health for rage tanks? There are multiple guides that say go health because dom is negligible in regards to dom beyond 100. I would like to see the difference between maxing dom and having 100 health vs max health and 100 dom tanking multiple set amounts of damage, whats more capable of tanking with having extra 125 in either stat, recording number for shields and passive w/o dom to justify it over 125 in health. (Bonus healing from remorse recovery with max dom vs max health, is it significant)
  5. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

“Haven't seen any good guides that talk about Redirected Rage for protection. As a dps, the shield only absorbs around 10k damage which is kinda nothing. Severe Punishment is always the better choice for melee since it counters the damage you receive, makes it easier for healers and, as you mentioned, it has a DoT for extra damage.

Instead of galling eruption I also recommend Violence for more single target damage because it is the stronger DoT and you carry it with you - there is no risk of losing the DoT when the boss leaves the AoE field.”

Thanks. So I’m running w violence, GE, SP (so three dots) then hit Outrage and Lacrete until they cool down . The sc is my last slot. So you mention running w V instead of GE; what’s your 5th power then? (Assuming you use Outrage and Lacerate)
  6. Trexlight Devoted Player

I may be able to but I do countless Shield testing for all Shields in the game when I have time and for Rage its Health > Dom. Even looking at the numbers ingame will show the Health stat giving you more Health than our Scar Tissue Which takes 100% of our Dom into Health. The catch there is we get the 100% when we reach 50x on the Hit Counter so starting off the fight, you are handicapped in that regard.

Test Server is down for a new patch but once it comes back up I'll try and get that for you but again, Health is better than going to Dom.
  7. Trexlight Devoted Player

Severe does help if you are getting small splash damage or are part of the damage split. The worry there is when a hit comes in that will knock you out before your healer's heal hits you to then allow your Severe Heal to come in. Remember you'll take the damage first then you get healed. For example if Murk comes at you with his Gut Stab, even in Tank Role Severe can only do so much. Personally I use Redirected to absorb the brunt of the damage giving myself time to move and the healer to get a heal off on me. For direct impact one shotting damage, Redirected will lessen the blow. Severe will heal you back as long as you arent one shotted and have at least a sliver of health left.

Also I tend to go with Violence just because its an Aura and moves with me in case i get out of GE or if the enemy does. Better repositioning but a buddy also found an error with Violence and its Plasma Debuff we are still researching.
  8. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo Thunderstrikke, sorry for the late response.

My loadout is/was: Severe Punishment | Violence | Outrage | Revenge | Relentless Anger | Berserk

The reason why I was not using Lacerate is that while it parses way higher than Revenge on Sparring Targets, I found that in actual combat the fast-paced playstyle of an all-lunge loadout with Outrage and RA permanently on CD enables more damage. Also, RA is awesome if your playstyle involves Berserk on a regular basis. With Head and Chest mod, Relentless Anger plus Soul Cloak and Eye of Gemini it's really awesome. So far, I always performed better than Lacerate-Users.
    Plus, the playstyle is really simple.

If you would like to use some more challenging stuff and you're a Speedster, add Whirling Dervish to your LA and add the Super Speed Feet mod for Combos to your boots. The damage can be really great, though I've rarely seen any non-macro users pulling it off well. I myself have only tested it a few times and the timing on Dash Attack after Whirling Dervish is weird...
  9. Schimaera Devoted Player

Quick update:

I stumbled on this just last saturday when I specced an alt to rage and a leaguemate also pointed this out to me:

Violence does only apply the Plasma Burn PI for 3 seconds for some reason. You move close to adds, they get the visual effect of the PI and it drops after three seconds, instead of twelve. Now, you can re-apply it by moving away from the target and getting closer to it again, but that's not the idea behind a PI, is it?
    And it's not just the visual effect but the 10% buff from the PI is affected as well.

I PMed a dev about it and just now realised that they haven't been active since early 2018 -.-' I didn't check that so that was of no use.

I now created an Issue Tracker for it after I did not found anything on the web page.

Just here to let the rage players out there know. Even though Violence has higher parsers in some situations compared to Galling Eruption, it's save to say that GE should be used until this is fixed.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/DC-3262
    • Like x 1
  10. AquamantheKing Level 30

I'm new to rage, and was wondering how Berserk actually works. Does it only double damage pftt or does it double any damage I do. For instance if I was using precision.

Also, Infuriate sounds like an interesting supercharge. Would it be best for tank or DPS use? And what's the percentage is it boosted by when it talks about resto and dom
  11. Trexlight Devoted Player

Berserk is melee focused. It doesnt double the damage anymore, I believe they cut it down to 75% of the damage done gets applied. Maybe Schimera can confirm cause my memory is failing on that one. But yeah, any damage you do Berserk will do it again. It does not work for Ranged attacks.

Infuriate is fun and more group oriented. I tried it in Tank long ago and it was fun to help the group but you sacrifice your own protection possibly. Loadouts depending. The % for resto and Dom is unknown. The wording is horrible and the Devs need to provide more concrete data on that. Its basically group wide Remorseless Recovery but with Crit buffs
  12. AquamantheKing Level 30

So I should replace berserk with infuriate on my prec armory?
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

If you're in Melee, go Berserk. If you're Ranged, you have two options:

1. Neo Venom Boost - Doesnt work exactly like Berserk but it will increase your damage and this is a Self Buff, only to you.

2. Infuriate - Gives Crits and Self healing to you and the Raid.

So basically you either choose to help yourslf or help your group. Either is valid, just depends on how you wanna play it.
  14. oFLASHx New Player

Hey guys. I'm a new Red Lantern and I am looking for a DPS Loadout to use. Can someone post it here or redirect me to one that has been posted already? Thanks
  15. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

16. Trexlight Devoted Player

Rage DPS excels in Melee Range but the Bosses are not Melee Friendly so knowing when to move out of the boss attacks is essential. The Range Loadout does okay but thankfully now with the Neo Venom Boost Head Mod we'll be a little stronger.

Melee:
    Relentless Anger, Galling Eruption, Redirected Rage, Lacerate, Outrage, Berserk (SC)

Rotation:
    Lunge attack to get to the target then hit Relentless Anger to build Supercharge and apply the Plasma Burn Power Interaction.

Galling Eruption also applies the PI hitting this also allows a 12 Second DoT on the ground to hit multiple enemies. You can switch this power with Violence if you want. Violence does the same thing but a bit of lesser damage but its an Aura so where you go, the damage does too.

Perform Outrage, full combo and then before the last Outrage combo is about to hit, clip it with Lacerate. lacerate sticks you in the animation unless you lunge, block, or do a hold range attack but this time allows you to regen Power which is key.

Outrage and Lacerate are your two main damage dealers. so you'll go back and forth using them, always allowing Lacerate to clip Outrage's third combo right before the maces come down.

Berserk is your Melee DPS best friend. It copies a % of the damage you do with an attack and the buff lasts for about 6 seconds so be sure to use this when you know you wont be crowd controlled or away from the boss.

Redirected Rage is your shield and while it isnt strong in DPS Role, its still a protection good to have while in melee range just in case an attack comes to you. The shield will absorb some of the damage hopefully so you dont get one shot. If you dont then you roll away and recover some health.

I'll type up the Range Loadout a bit later. Gotta get back to work lol.
  17. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Just posted my rage dps video.

As always it does not include movement variants since I do all my videos on live and I don’t want my main to be ss lol. If you are SS than switch out lacerate it’s violence for whirling dervish. Haven’t tested that out so you will have to check which switch does more damage. Remember that rotation is key.
    • Like x 1
  18. Dub T Well-Known Player

Dumb question, what are you using to clip Frost Breath with after the 2 ticks?
  19. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I do a tap range to stop the freezing breath and then clip the tap range with the next ability.

EDIT: you can also jump instead of taping range. However every once in a while it does a second jump after the first which can accidentally throw off your next ability. So keep that in mind. By tapping range you add an additional attack to your rotation in the form of a weapon tap. The damage may be little but it does add up.

I recommend to practice freezing breath on its own to get used to the timing. If not, when you try it in a rotation you may not be used to it and cancel it out to soon or to late. You can cancel out the attack a split second before the 2nd tick happens and still get the tick.

Using this rotation when you want to use your orbital or your trinkets replace freezing breath for your oribital. This even thou it is stronger than plasma retch, replacing plasma means that you don’t have PI for dreadful blast.
    • Like x 1
  20. Trexlight Devoted Player

The wording images need to be on the screen longer. Last about 10-15 seconds so folks have time to read it so they dont have to press pause. may also want to include them on the gameplay image too like in the top right corner.

Not bad loadouts. Although Im a purist sometimes with loadouts, I dont like using Iconics like at all. Still they work and as DPS if you want to be "top", they have to be used.
    • Like x 1