An Anger-Fueled Guide to Rage

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TDSK, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Trexlight Devoted Player

I pretty much second Schimaera. Neo Venom Boost for pure damage, Infuriate to increase crits to yourself and party members and gives self heals for everyone when they do damage. Certainly more Utility play there.

Redirected Rage will save you more than Severe in DPS Role. The Shield might not be AS strong in DPS Role but thats still taking damage rather than you taking the damage.
  2. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Is that with points invested into dominance or restoration to make your shields stronger? From my experience Severe lasted longer than Redirected Rage with no points invested.
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

You don't invest in Dom or Resto as a DPS. Difference is, one is a shield that you can use in stressful situations where it directly absorbs ~10k of incoming damage before it is dealt. The other is a neffect waiting for you to receive full damage and afterwards healing a portion back. Redirected Rage is a defensive abiltiy. Severe Punishment in DPS role is no defensive abiltiy, because it's reactive.
    • Like x 1
  4. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

I understand that but in Elite Olympus I popped Redirected Rage and as soon as I did, it was gone whereas adds or hell even Zeus none 1 shot attacks would not kill me if I were to pop Severe Punishment. I just don't see it in my opinion how a shield would be more beneficial when it caps at 10k as well as being broken in an instant. I do appreciate the advice. I'll do more playthroughs on elite to see better between the two.
  5. Schimaera Devoted Player

Ok I now understood what you ment. Let's put it that way, then:

If you have 60k life and would get a 60k hit -> Redirected Rage > Severe Punishment
    If you have 60k life and you get constant ticks of 10k -> Redirected Rage < Severe Punishment.

Though tbh I found it to be waaaaaay easier to just cleanse the Zeus-DoT in OlyE instead of pushing through.
  6. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Ah, thank you. That is more understandable lol
  7. SiiCK New Player

I would like to start out first by saying thank you for the info in this guide. I used to be Earth and wanted to try Rage out as DPS and a Tank. My current Melee LO for DPS is Outrage/Echain/Lacerate/Berserk/GE/SP. I feel as I can be doing better damage none the less. I have 355 Skill points and want to start tanking as well. So...can anyone PLEASE help me with a PFTT LO for Melee/Range DPS and TANK to include what white MODS, artifacts, augments, and SP placement. I know its a lot to ask for but I appreciate your time. Again Thanks!
  8. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo SiiCK,

I just came home and it's almost 1am here so I'm off to bed for now. I just wanted to let you know that I read your post and will comment on it next thing in the morning after a hot coffee :)
    'til then good night :D
    • Like x 1
  9. SiiCK New Player

Thanks man! I’ve been doing a lot of reading and just wanted to know what yields the best parses. Any insight for Melee, Range, and Tank stance is very appreciated. Take your time!
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

Alright, the coffee took longer than expected ^_^

Let's start with tanking: What I previously wrote and what you quoted is still true for me. The only thing I'd do is to max Health frist. If you have enough SP, I would advise to get health and dom to 100 first, then put the rest in health until it's maxed. Don't bother with Crit Innates and only take what you need to get to the plain stats.

DPS Melee:

This is an interesting topic because there is a certain parting of ways amongst rage players. I try to be as precise as I can be without getting to much into numbers:

Power Interaction

For melee there are two reasonable choices: Violence or Galling Eruption. While Violence has the higher base damage on one target, Galling Eruption has a wider range. On training targets it parses higher because of that. However, Violence is mobile since it applies PI to everything around you for the duration. If you move to other targets, it applies Plasma burn there as well, where Galling Eruption is a stationary AoE field. When things die fast (alert adds, small raid add groups) and on single target, Violence is stronger because of that.

The aggressive defense

No rage melee player should go without Severe Punishment. In DPS role it heals back 50% any incoming damage every other second. Also, it damages enemies nearby you.

Outrage

This is your main damaging ability and should be used on cooldown. It has a tap melee and hold melee combo, you should use both and clip the hold melee combo with the next power.

Other Damaging Abilities

Lacerate: High damage, low power. Interruptable. It has great damage on sparring targets and is great for AoE rotations.

Dreadful Blast: While it is a ranged ability, it is also a heavy hitter and still good on melee.

Revenge: Low cost, decent damage on the combo, imo the strongest for Single Target fights.

Relentless Anger: Supercharge generator. The more aggressive you wanna play, the more you wanna use this abiltiy, since your supercharge is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest Melee Supercharge (Berserk).

Many players use Outrage+Lacerate+Filler (Revenge, Relentless Anger) and in combination with Galling Eruption it parses highest on Sparring Targets. However, in actual content where things die fast and you move from add group to add group, I found that the following setup is the strongest. So far, I've beaten every competitive rage player I came across with it:

Severe Punishment | Violence | Outrage | Revenge | Relentless Anger | Berserk

Outrage (2x combo) and Revenge (1x Combo) line up perfectly and you can use Relentless Anger either on CD (requires you to delay Outrage for half a second since you wanna use Revenge after that, or everytime before SP and Violence come off cooldown. It's a delay of like 1s but not that often.

All of your melee abilities are lunge abilities here which makes you traverse rooms faster; you close the gap between adds faster than almost every other power while still doing damage where others would melee lunge with their weapon to get closer faster. That's why I believe that this loadout is the strongest when you are not on immovable sparring targets.

Berserk is awesome in general. It does great damage on add groups and even greater on Single Target since it does not split. By that I mean that even though your damage dealt is higher on adds, the impact on single targets is stronger considering there are some dps checks in the game. Though use it with caution since it does not do damage by itself but par se, but rather deals damage based on the damage you deal with your other abilities. So in the optimal scenario you use it right after a breakout along with other buffs to abuse your gained immunity to CC effects.

Ranged rotation:

Power Interaction

Either Galling Eruption (mid range, higher damage) or Plasma Retch (max range, lower damage). Reapply every 12 seconds or when reaching a new add group.

Dreadful Blast

Your bread and butter abilitiy. Max range, two Hold-Range-Combos. Use it on cooldown. This is important since all your other abilities theoretically exceed DB's cooldown duration. The second DB-combo is clipped with one of your other abilities.

Other Damaging abilities - AoE and ST

For AoE encounters, Frentic Bombardment is what you wanna go for. It has a low power cost and does reasonable good damage. Typical spam ability. It has four tap-range-Combos. However, remember that you wanna use Dreadful Blast as soon as it comes off cooldown. That's why you're only want to combo Frentic Bombardment three times and clip the last combo with Dreadful Blast again. That's basically it for AoE

On Single Target you have the choice of (Amplified Heat Vision) and Channel Hate. Both deal good single target damage and can be rotated between Dreadful Blasts. Yet here again, I advise to not use them for the whole duration because DB even in ST situations does amazing damage. That's why you wanna Jump Cancel (a)HV as soon as DB is ready again and Channel Hate is canceleed by range-tapping your weapon when DB is ready and clip your ranged tap with it.

Supercharge

Either Neo Venom Boost (boosts your damage greatly) or Infuriate (boosts the groups Crit damage and crit chance). I usually go with NVB.
    Berserk is also possible, but consider that Berserk only triggers in melee range. That means for it's duration you have to be very close to the enemies to make this supercharge work. If you can pull it off, well, Berserk is one of the best Supercharges. If you can't or if it's too risky, go with the aforementioned SCs.

With that being said, you can pretty much sum up your ranged rotation. I usually go either for something like

Plasma Retch | Channel Hate | Dreadful Blast | Frentic Bombardment | Robot SIdekick/Shield | Neo Venom Boost (for a lazy mixed loadout with ST and AOE potential

or replace Frentic Bombardment with amplified Heat Vision for pure single target.

In my eyes the most optimal AoE rotation however would be something like this:

Galling Eruption | Bloodlust | Dreadful Blast | Frentic Bombardment | Robot Sidekick | Neo Venom Boost (AoE)

Galling Eruption | Bloodlist | Channel Hate | Dreadful Blast | Amplified Heatvision | Neo Venom Boost (Single Target)

Which brings me to..............

Mods

Weapon: Blast Adapter

Head: Supercharged Berserk (melee) / Critical Bloodlust (ranged). Bloodlust for ranged since there is no Superchared NVB mod. So I just take the 2% increased Crit Chance. Your loadout isn't as stuffed as other powers' LAs. You have space for Bloodlust :3

Neck: Escalating Might

Back: Berserker

Chest: Core Strength/Penetrating Strikes seem kinda whacky atm. So go with Extended Supercharge. It also helps greatly in Melee rotations since MOAR BERZERK >>>> 2% plain damage increase :D

Legs: uuuuuuhh...Restorative Revenge? It's pretty useless but why not...

Hands: Max Damage

Feet: I go with Innertial Innervation (speedster) but basically you can use whatever floats your boat ;)

Sooooo that's basically it. That's everything that comes to my mind right now. For the moment, I'm playing with other powersets and my main won't be Rage for a while. I don't think there are huge changes coming to the Powerset anytime soon. If they come, I'm back to Rage in a blink of an eye.

I wrote the whole thing on my way to work. So anyone who finds typos can keep them :3
    • Like x 2
  11. SiiCK New Player

I’ll have to give this a try when I get home tonight from work and I’m sure I’ll have some more questions. What about white MODS for Rage Tanking?
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

Before I forget, let's get to Augments, Artifacts, and stuff like that.

For Augments, four Might ones should be self explanatory. Same goes for the Cybernetic Cores. Might as well.

As Artifacts, I use the pftt DPS standard of Scrap of the Soul Cloak, Tetrahedron of Urgund and Solar Amplifier. The latter for the plain 5% might buff and the Amplified Heatvision (+10% damage). I won't use aHV for the whole duration but the 10% buff does suffice.

If you find yourself playing melee more often than ranged, go for 160 Soul Cloak first (Beeeerrzeeerkkkk). Otherwise go for the Amplifier first (imo). You should get all of them to at least 120 though.

_________

As a tank Dom Augments and the same for Cyber Cores. As for Artifacts, there aren't any good Tank artifacts, except from the Dilustel Refractor.

Furthermore, the Cog of Mageddon gives 5% health and 3% dom, the Legionnaire's Sparring AI gives 3% Health, 5% dom. Good stats.

The soul cloak is useless for tanks. Only Atomic can utilize it a bit since they have an 8-man-shield as SC.

For both roles, Rank 8 Bottled City Soder is a no brainer. Go for it, it takes less XP to max it than to get to Rank120 on an artifact.
  13. Schimaera Devoted Player

Forgot that, too.

Weapon: Absorbtion Adapter

Head: Nothing to see here. Move along. Energized Eviscerating Chain? I guess?

Neck: Fortified Assault

Chest: Quick Healing or Hearty (either more healz from healers or 5% Health increase). Quick Healing does not improve your self-heals since they are based on the damage received.

Legs: Duuuuhhh.

Hands: Regenerative Shielding

Feet: Whatever floats your boat.
  14. SiiCK New Player

LOL I literally just posted about this. Thanks for all of your knowledge! Hopefully I can get on tonight and try it all out.
  15. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

So I changed my load out again and been running content left and right at cr 226 I was able to compete with those of higher cr.

1. Relentless Anger
    2. Galling Eruption
    3. Severe Punishment
    4. Berserk
    5. Outrage
    6. Heat Vision

All the powers flow real good. So my rotation is as followed.

I activate first Relentless Anger then Galling Eruption and clip it with Severe Punishment I then would use all combos from Outrage and immediately use Heat vision. Severe Punishment and Galling Eruption still on cooldown so then I would use Relentless Anger again follow with Outrage combos again and another Heat Vision and now both powers should be off cooldown and you begin your rotation again. Though it kind of uses more power. This rotation setup is really good and fun to my Kryptonian theme toon. I only got like 193-196 skill points and none of my 3 artifacts are at 100 yet. My solar artifact at 19 lol soul cloak is like at 83 I believe and my might artifact as well.

I ran Olympus Elite again and the pug instance was smoother just gotta watch out with things. I have one question. Has anyone tried to get as much health as possible in order for your might artifact to get stronger? I was looking at augments for any health ones by itself but it seems only have specific ones for either dps might or precision and, thanks, trollers and healers. I saw another rage dps user use the tank artifact that gives more health if you use a pull move. It got me thinking of that combo between the two artifacts. Here's how I noticed its use.

1. You must have a pull move for this to work.
    2. The tank artifact goes by dominance. The higher your dominance the better health it'll give you.
    3. Now that your health is buffed from the tank artifact you can use your might artifact which will be buffed by your total health at the moment. However this combo would mean you would have to sacrifice one of the 3 standard artifacts for might users i.e soul cloak or heat vision. What do you all think about this and has anyone tried it with great results?
  16. SiiCK New Player

Thanks for your insight as well.
    • Like x 1
  17. Trexlight Devoted Player

If you're in DPS Role using the Tank Artifact, you're losing a LOT of Might. With my DPS gear on I have 290 Dom which isn't worth wearing my Rank120 Tank Artifact to try and pump out extra might from it. Not a bad idea but even if you max out the Might/Power Stat and have left over to put in Dom, still isnt worth it.
  18. Fighter Well-Known Player

I am thinking about switching to Rage for a while. I am Precision bases on my DPS side. I can’t really find too info about it. is there anyone that can help with a Precision dps loudout? Thank you in advance!!
  19. Schimaera Devoted Player

There isn't much to it, tbh. Bloodlust is your go-to move since it boosts your precision. Aside from that you don't really need much. For Melee your SC will be Beserk as usual, for Ranged I'd go with Neo Venom Boost.
    The other four slots in your loadout can be utility based, like breakouts etc. Usually, you're doing more damage if you're not using many might based abilities in between your combos.
    • Like x 1
  20. Trexlight Devoted Player

I second what Schimaera has said. Even in other Powers, all you need is your Weapon buff and the rest are Utilities including the Robot Sidekick.

Loadout I use is Bloodlust, Remorseless Recovery, Redirected Rage, Ire, Robot Sidekick and Neo Venom Boost (Personally i use Infuriate to give group members higher Crits but pure damage neo Venom is whats best). This loadout I use DW/Bow WM so its Ranged. If more Melee focused you could replace Remorseless with Relentless Anger to allow quicker recharge in Supercharge.