An Anger-Fueled Guide to Rage

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TDSK, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Tried this last night. It doesn't say it on berserk, which bothers me, but white damage doesn't seem to be included in berserk. I know rage is a combo power and all, but why is this SC focused only for PffT. Seems like this needs changed to help balance different play styles.

My test was only using weapon combos, bow obviously. Didn't get any buff on the damage like i do with the might combos.

It's not broken, but just because it's a combo power doesn't mean that's THE only way it should be played either.
    • Like x 1
  2. spack2k Steadfast Player

if this is correct must have been a ninja nerf with latest nerf on berserk , i know before gu78 all type of damage was considered by berserk
  3. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Good finding! It seems this needs to be addressed to the devs. And I totally agree with you.
  4. Schimaera Devoted Player

Agreed, weapon damage should count as well. However, it should only be damage done by a weapon, not white damage in general.
    Imagine the complaints that would flood these forums if the white damage from orbital strike get's buffed by Berserk lol.
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

That's gray damage. White damage is usually referred to as weapon damage, but yes I agree.
  6. Schimaera Devoted Player

Could swear they are identically coloured :D but hey something new to know every day ^^
    • Like x 1
  7. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

I been running with Vindictive doing multiple content as a tank and have noticed something. First let’s point out a few things

-Vindictive
    [1] 30 second cooldown
    [2] Activates Enrage
    [3] Immune to Rage Crash
    [4]Activates Fervor

-Severe Punishment
    [1] 12 second cooldown
    [2] Activates Enrage
    [3] Activates Fervor
    [4] Suffers from rage crash

Now once you get the hang of canceling your rage crash, you’ll find its pretty easy to avoid. Vindictive is exactly like Severe Punishment except for being immune to rage crash and the cooldown difference. However, Severe Punishment is more beneficial due to its low cooldown and longer Fervor. Being able to toggle off Vindictive isn’t really good since it’s cooldown is so high. Energize has a cooldown of 0.45 seconds and if I recall, Vindictive did too. As a rage tank running with a supercharged power you’re not left with much to pick.

Infuriate is just like Remorseless Recovery except for the fact you and your group members receive healing. But the downside of Infuriate if I’m not mistaken is it gives the same ticks as Remorseless Recovery but with a longer cooldown. As a tank you won’t need Berserk or Mangle. Not sure if Iconic Powers such as Word of Lightning and Pheromone Bloom will be more useful.
  8. 6ix9ine Well-Known Player

yo does crit healing chance and crit healing magnitude play any role with remorseless recovery. Would it help healing better than speccing into restoration? or... would it be better to spec into restoration?

i know under the description it says you receive healing equal to a portion of your damage dealt to enemies, capped at a percentage of your dominance and restoration. This effect can occur 6 times

this is mainly for open world dueling. i have all my crit damage/crit attack might/power.. where do i put these remaining 79 sp i got left over
  9. Schimaera Devoted Player

The healing innates "Crit healing chance" and "crit healing magnitude" do not affect any of you rage skills. The "leech abilities" are percentage based on a fix number - like you said the sum of your dominance and restoration. So in this case speccing points into restoration will slightly increase your heals but not by much. The percentage Cap is 18.8%. You won't heal yourself more than that. If you deal too liitle damage you won't heal that much at all.

The remaining points can be spent into Health and then either dom or resto. The latter helps with your cap and with Redirected Rage if you're using this shield. If you only have 79 points left only spec to certain thresholds that give you bigger percentage buffs of this stats.
    • Like x 2
  10. buddah Well-Known Player

Is there a good battle tank loadout. I am currently using Gailing Eruption, Severe Punishment, Outrage, Lacerate, Redirected Rage, and Berserk
  11. 6ix9ine Well-Known Player

one more question breh whats the best spec for tanking?

right now im on a spec where im focus hybrid

7 points covering my innates in my movement tree
    9 points covering my weapon combos
    1 point to get my hardlight shield

10 points into critical attack
    10 points into critical attack damage
    195 points in health
    112 points in dominance

My total dominance is 7400
    end game suggested is 5853

whats the positive and negatives with this build compared to me getting all my dominance instead?
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo 6ix9ine,

just stopping by to let you know that I've read your post. I try to get my reply written down this evening. A lot going on atm so I am very preoccupied with work. Sorry for the late response.
    You might want to check out L Ts tank thread. A lot of helpful information in there. Until then take care fellow Red Lanterns :)
    • Like x 1
  13. Schimaera Devoted Player

Alrighty 6ix9ine, here I go :)

First off let me say that I dig your general direction of your spec. It's basically the "true tank" direction if you will. Not that other specs aren't good but focussing more on the tank stats is the route to more survivability - and for some content you gonna need it.

I'd like to start with my spec and describe it a bit, maybe you can take something out of it or maybe even others can chime in to give us both some constructive tips :)

[IMG]

For the full-tank spec I also went with the Hybrid Focus. You don't need more precision damage or power, rage plays pretty good without them. I rather have the extra percentages in survivability stats.
    Like you I only spent ten points in Critical Damage and Critical Damage Magnitude. For doing your main job it is not needed but it is more beneficial than crit healing or other things (like I described before).

As Rage is best utilized while actively tanking I went with the Dominance route. Dominance strengthens your shields and increases your health pool while constantly keeping the combo meter up. Also if you use Leech skills it also improves them as well.

Next I went with health and wanted to reach the 100 SP threshold for the total 10% buff. After Dominance Health is imo the second best stat for us. While it does not improve our skills per se, it is just a net buff to our survivability. Since we're usually constantly losing health it seems like a good idea to have more of it ^^

I hope that answers this question. ^^

Lastly, Restoration. Restoration basically only improves our shields. Performance wise it's probably on par with Health as a stat but since I am not shielded most of the time, I went with Health.

The 100/20 split was only done because I wanted to reach certain thresholds. If you have less SP to spent maybe go for Health first.

Onto the loadout!

[IMG]

Severe Punisment | Ragebringer | Hardlight Shield | Redirected Rage | Eviscerating Chain | Ire

The basic playstyle is to use Severe Punishment to get our 100% defense going and to health ourselves from incoming damage. Before the crash, use Eviscerating Chain. The combo isn't needed.
    In the window between the Rage Crash and when SP comes off cooldown (4 seconds) you have two shields to mitigate incoming damage if it is too high. Otherwise, just pull a few things and let the healer to its job ;)
    Ire is for group breakout or general immunity if you think you might need it to prevent a huge rage crash. Same goes for the breakout trinket.
    Ragebringer is our pull/leech.

Chronometric Emitters are neat but they've lost some charme after some update. Feel free to use an Orbital Strike instead.

For weapons: Anything goes. I personally like bow as a tank weapon (with or without WM). Atm I use the WM, that's why I have fewer SP spent into tank innates.

You can also switch around with the Hardlight Shield - Spot and try other things (Amazonian Deflection can be amazeballs).

Seven points into movement innates sounds about right :)

That should conclude it when you ask me about the "best tank spec". There are many others and "full health" or "full turtle" might also be viable (to an extent). I also have a battle tank loadout (Plasma consumables and stuff like Frenzy) and it does really good in alerts and easy raids - but is garbage for Elite content.

If you have anything to add or to ask, let's have it :) Goes for everyone of course.

Best regards, you guys!
    • Like x 3
  14. 6ix9ine Well-Known Player

thank you i had actually respecced that same exact way with my sp after you told me check out the tank thread.

i have 195 in dominance / 100 in health and only 11 in resto (ran out of sp) after getting my weapon combos and movement innates.

We have different playstyles though i dont have so many shields my loadout is

Ragebringer
    punishment
    redirected rage(with accerlerated redirected rage back mod that reduces the cool down by 10 percent)
    without mercy
    e chain
    remorseless recovery

i pretty much start out clipping ragebringer, punishment, redirected rage hit without mercy to make the adds neat..do some weapon combos hit the echain go right into remorse recovery which keeps my defense buff up go right back into punishment then hit redirected rage once that comes off cool down shortly after and i just keep that rotation going my heath bar never really moves
  15. Schimaera Devoted Player

I too used Remoreseless Recovery at first. In one of the last three Game Updates however, they changed Fervor so it lasts 15 seconds. With Severe Punishment bringing you into the Fervor state and only having a 12 seconds cooldown you can basically keep up the 50% defense buff without Remorseless Recovery now. That's why I switched it. The health leech is decent though so keep it unless you need something else for specific content :)
    • Like x 1
  16. Incubus New Player

First of all, thanks for the great breakdown, Schimaera! I'm just starting back up after having been gone from the game for the last couple of years. I've been reading the forums a lot trying to find out which is better to go into, Health or Dom. Your guide is very close to what I'm used to (even the loadout). Since everything was always about Dom back in the day, it feels weird to make health the priority. Since your write-up was written a few months ago, have things changed any since then? Is health really the best way to go or does your recommendation still hold up? Or is it really just based on play style? The health route seems to be more passive (a lot of blocking) while Dom seems more active. Just want to make sure I'm not encountering the ol' "You freaking suck, tank. You're too squishy, blah blah blah."

Thanks!
  17. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo Incubus, thanks for the kind words! I'm happy to answer your questions:

The playstyle of Rage hasn't changed since I posted the quoted advise. In my eyes, health is still superior since Dominance basically only impacts your shields, which you are just using to bridge the few seconds between two Servere Punishments and for stressful situations, and for your Scar Tissue that increases your health based on your dom if your combo-meter goes up.

Since the latter is a thing you have to build up, I found a net increase in health more beneficial.

I'd also like to add that Rage is no blocking tank at all. With Fortified Assault and your Fervor Buff (+50% defense while not blocking) you're all set for being an active tank. Fervor lasts for 15 seconds while Severe Punishment (the ability that triggers Fervor) has a cooldown of 12 seconds. So you should have a 100% up-time. Rage tanks aren't squishy at all. The only "challenging" thing is the Enrage+Crash mechanic. That's why I am running two Breakouts (Ire+Trinket) for when a lot is going on. As usual, Chronometric Emitters help, too :)
  18. Incubus New Player

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely be going with your advice on this. Always happy when I can be an active tank.

Have a good one!
  19. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

DPS advice:

What supercharge is worth using if Berserk can only be used in melee range? Obviously I cannot melee Zeus in elite content so I am trying to stay mid-range. Redirected shield is a waste because once I pop it, that very second it goes away. Severe punishment works good.
  20. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo Kryptonian Being,

Berserk can be implemented in Ranged Rotations as well. The only thing is that for the duration of Bersek you need to be in Melee Range. It is difficult and needs a bit of a learning curve, when you can use it.

For a saver approach I advise using Neo-Venom Boost. Infuriate is also okay but if you want to go for pure damage, NVB it is.

Redirected Rage does what it's supposed to do. At endgame it absorbs around 10k damage which is something. It is no one-shot-preventer but it is helpful. It works better than Severe Punishment on range, since the damage of SP won't hit anything and you're not likely to take much damage at range anyways.
    • Like x 1