AM versus WM

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jamie, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Jamie New Player

With all of the threads talking about how things are or people's interpretation of how they are or should be I would like to ask if the dev's can clear things up.

1) Is using AM meant to result in the same damage potential as using WM?

2) Can you explain in detail how the different AM's are meant to work? There seems to be a lot of confusion (especially considering combo AM's) about how the AM is intended to work.

We are currently taking our own experiences along with our interpretations of what the dev's have intended and the community is coming to different conclusions. It is my hope that we can get the intentions cleared up so that everything can be properly tested (by the community) and we can start to appreciate all of the hard work the dev's put into.
    • Like x 1
  2. BumblingB I got better.

AM is supposed to be about equal, but "slightly" out perform WM.

So someone doing WM > Power would do slightly less than someone using Pure AM or AM/WM Mix. Depending on the AM powerset, they all seem to do this. (Though again, I still can't figure out Fire, but I think it has to do with the dummies and PI. I can't test it live, as I don't have a fire dps character.)
    • Like x 1
  3. Jamie New Player

HL does not do this and apparently there have been some posts that have been interpreted as AM < WM. Like I said, there seems to be a lot of confusion so I am hoping a dev will clear everything up.
  4. Little Sister New Player

WM for mobs, AM for bosses :D
  5. Jaye31987 Well-Known Player

6. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

Yeah. I like both WM and the AM on gadgets. So yesterday I tried a mix of both in LHSB and it went very smoothly. But I'm still not sure if I'm actually doing more damage than my WM setup I had before the AM was released for gadgets.

Either way it is clearly pretty close if I am having such a hard time telling lol. I guess if I really want to figure it out then I'll have to spend a good long time sitting in front of a sparring target to figure it out with a pen and a note pad lol.
  7. Jamie New Player

I'm hoping the dev's clarify what they intended to be the case rather than what is the case currently. Are you also sure that you were using the AM as the dev's intended? Not trying to be a ***** but rather pointing out that just saying that Rage's AM is combo's leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
  8. not_again Dedicated Player

Here is the answer:

WM is only the crit window. Doing a weapon combo is not considered WM. You should be doing weapon combos with your AM.

Read all of Spytle's post in this thread for more clarification.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...o-discuss-this-data-rationally-please.218544/
  9. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Wm for earth ... Pet am is very weak in comparison...I've tried both my damage is significantly higher with wm...

Reason being, the pet is base off your cr not might stats .... She does anywhere from 1800-4000 damage widen powered ... Keeping her powered is a pain she goes through power fast then hits about as hard as a robot side kick (mind you this is our advanced mechanic) .. When using her everything in earths trays will hit weaker because they hit a lot weaker without wm...example rumble crush when used after wm can hit up to 3000 dmg ... Without can hit to about 1300 mist the time less ... Way less..... It's strongly recommended if you use earths am you should go full precision mods and that's where most your damage will come from... No power back mechanic for you either

Personally I think these AMs need to register whether you put power points in wm or not...

Meaning if you place a power point in the wm button on whatever weapon am will work as they do now mediocre at best and wm is needed to do the bulk of your damage....

If you don't pick up the wm for any weapon ... Then your AM gets a boost say you instantly get a might boost and one power in every am set up will give a 100% crit chance on activation (give it a proper cool down and the sane length for every powerset)
    Example electric will have voltaic bolt will 100% crit on use.... Mass dets the same for fire... 1 burst power that us part of your am...
    Pet powers would need to see some additional changes... So for sorc and earth I'd say fortify golem and offering on activation makes the pet do a massive attack and then a few beefy attacks.... Boost the amount of power they have to use so fortify and offerings cool down can't be spammed (it already can't)

Give every wm in the game a power back mechanic so trolls are not just battery's

Combo powers should all have a pi ... And one power from each should have a 100% burst

So this would make all AMs work like this...

Set up pi set up dots burst > set up set up burst > set up set up burst

It would be very cookie cutter Cause if you're going am you have to use specific powers....

If you're going wm you gave more freedom...

Both ways of dpsing should do the same damage... 1 should not be better then the other.. It would just come down to preference....do you like using your weapon more? Wm is for you ... Do you like to just work off your powers... Am is for you...
    • Like x 1
  10. Jamie New Player

Spytle never said that we should be doing weapon combos with AM's. We should be doing weapon clips with our AM's. Secondly, any of the combo AM powers can do their WM and AM together and not have them cancel each other out. With HL I always setup my PI (for my AM) then go into a WM and use snap trap for my burst. I then combo this into fan. Right there I used my AM and WM together with out having them cancel each other out. It was also in that thread that Spytle said that AM is meant to be equal to WM. In a different thread I saw you posting how the dev's said that WM is meant to be better than AM. Since Spytle's post was partially incorrect to what is happening I am asking for clarification of what is meant to be happening.
  11. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Pet am is not equal to wm... Not even a little
    • Like x 2
  12. not_again Dedicated Player

I never meant to say this and if it came across that way I apologize.

As for the rest of your post what do you need clarified? Spyte already said in the thread I posted above that HL's AM is using the PI's and combos. He also said WM and AM can not be used at the same time. Meaning you cannot use precision fan at the same time as the crit window. The weapon damage is static in the equation as you are using weapon combos both during your AM and with your WM. Now all weapons are still not balanced but that has nothing to do with AM vs. WM.

AM=Combos, DoTs, Pets, Volatility, not sure what they call gadgets AM
    WM=Crit window
    Hybrid= Getting the crit in the window and comboing into another power. This can only be done by celestial, rage, and hl. Hybrid is also considered AM.
    Weapon clipping= Using a power to cancel the animation of a weapon attack
  13. Jaye31987 Well-Known Player

If you look at my time per power, it's the time I clocked in for a AM clip.

For example here a image I did not upload in that thread

The image below starts off at 0:01. That time is the moment I pressed E-chained. Number 2 means when I clipped it, Number 3 is proof that I did not cancel E-chain precision dmg and got a successfull clip. Looking back at image 2, the time stamped was 1:15. So 1.15-0.01 = 1.14. I personally did a bunch attempts of clips for each power, and 1.14 was my fastest successful clip.

[IMG]
  14. Owl Devoted Player

• Like x 3
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Have you tested pure Light AM. Especially now with the 60% modifiers. Just saying. Hear say... Do some tests and compare notes. Remember, the test dummies would be about 60-80% accurate based on PI setups and what not. (They cleanse and have to due to combat.)
  16. Jamie New Player

Misunderstandings happen, glad we cleared it up.

Hybrid is not considered AM. The data the dev's were looking at was hybrid and they interpreted it wrongly as AM and now they are looking for a way to separate them.

HL can use it's AM at the same time as it's WM. Part of HL's AM is the PI and you can get the extra damage from snap trap at the same time as you get bonus damage from WM. What they need to clarify (specifically about HL) is how much of a combo is considered it's AM. HL is unique that it has anywhere from a 2 move combo to an infinite move combo. I doubt the dev's meant for all combo techniques to be equal.

I've never seen a post from a dev suggesting that an AM is intended to be used with weapon combos. Since I have no idea where you are getting that from that is another point that should be cleared up. When we combo our powers are meant to just do a simple weapon clip or clip into a weapon combo?

If the dev's are saying that the different systems are balanced they really should tell us how they expect them to be used. Right now most powers seem to benefit from a hybrid method.
  17. PspaceJason Well-Known Player

In the thread "Hard Light Challenge", in regards to a poster mentioning using only HL combos with no weapon attacks, Spytle said:

Also, the quote in my sig suggests that clipped weapon attacks are intended to be used along with AM. Of course, that's a general statement.
  18. Jamie New Player

The way Mepps's statement reads to me is that AM is designed to be inferior to WM. Where there was another post by a dev (can't find it right now) that said that AM and WM were meant to be equal. Not sure what is correct.

I have not tested with it with the max damage mod. Here is the thing though, those mods are meant to be optional. If they are required to balance the power then isn't the power still un-balanced?
    • Like x 1
  19. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

AM for mobs, WM for bosses. :D
  20. Jamie New Player

But are we meant to clip after the second power, third, fourth,...? Every new combo uses power. If we use too much power then the the damage needs to justify having a troller (or 3) acting as a battery. If we go with an infinite combo we use no power so it would be reasonable to expect that our damage would be less. I would like to know where the dev's meant for the balance point to be.