Allies and alts

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Sep 3, 2021.

1. nawanda Loyal Player

I haven’t engaged with the ally system yet. I have Oracle, and I am aware she comes and does something when I press R3 on my controller, but right now I’m logging in each day, collecting the daily rewards, and logging out. I’ve only been able to face one run of Phantom Zone and FOS2. I haven’t logged into my alts at all.

I have always defended artifacts and seals on here, because it has always been possible for multiple alts to participate in the artifacts system for free, but at a much slower rate of progression than one’s main character, with the option to accelerate progression for those who wish to pay to do so. So with a bit of patience and time, your alts can get 5/6 level 120 artifacts and fulfill their roles to a good standard in nearly all content. The monetisation of artifacts is well harmonised and I’ve supported the system by buying seals over the years to gradually level their artifacts to 160. My main character has about 12 level 200 artifacts and my alts (3 of) all have multiple 160s. When you take into account consuming artifacts that are no longer required, I’ve spent a lot of money on seals and supported the system.

I am also aware that artifacts do fall out of meta status, but usually this has been after at least a couple of years.

In contrast, I am alarmed to discover that Allies carry a large upfront cost on the marketplace and that it has been repeatedly stated that new ones will be released regularly. I can see what will potentially happen here and it stinks. If you get in a time machine and go to to 2028, there will be 5 versions of Batman, each slightly better than the last, akin to what EA do each year with Ultimate Team cards, where there are half a dozen Messis and Ronaldos released each season.

There are two changes I would like to see to Allies to make them an attractive proposition for alts:

1) significantly reduce or scrap the upfront cost and put the monetisation at the sharp end of levelling them up, so that participation and having decent Allies for free is a long term aim for the alts of dedicated players.

2) get rid of the variants eg ‘Flashpoint’ - once you have Batman you should have Batman and it’s as simple as that. Don’t cheese people into buying and levelling Batman and then release a newer, better one. Credit us with intelligence and treat our hard-earned money with respect, and we will spend it on the game.
    • Like x 2
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Outside of the legendary allies you can get every single other ally from cyborg for source marks. The upgrading process for non legendary allies is also pretty fast. Within a few days my epic rating ally was already rank 4 with just drops alone. This was enough to unlock the passive. Yes the later levels do take longer but rank 4 out of 8 within a few days (3 days) seems pretty reasonable. The rare allies are even faster.

Now, the legendary allies are only obtainable through the marketplace and yes they do have a high cost. That I agree with. Others are even trying to make them better (IE pro pay to win) than vendor allies. This is confusing to me since people don’t want pay to win but all of a sudden they do. But you don’t have to get these and can just use the other allies if you wish. So yes I agree that the legendary allies need a price reduction.

But as for your point of no variants. I don’t agree with. I’m not saying I want 20 Batman allies. Yes they should explore other heroes and villains. But there are plenty of variants that are pretty interesting. I don’t see why they can’t do some duplicates.
    • Like x 3
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Two things I feel I need to point out.
    1. Currently the allies you can earn for free in game are superior for combat. Legendary allies (marketplace only) offer a second support option and that is their only advantage. Downside is some of their support options appear to be bugged and not working.
    2. It was never said that new variants were going to be better, just different. Take Flashpoint Wonder Woman for example, she does no damage when you summon her for combat. She casts Amazonian Deflection and taunts enemies. When they release another Wonder Woman variant she's not going to be a reskin that casts a stronger version of deflection but a completely different set of abilities.
    • Like x 1
  4. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I think have different versions of different characters is exactly what dcuo and by definition the multiverse is within the DC universe so having different batmans be different it's only natural some will be better then others for different reasons for different builds etc and what one will find weak someone else might find strong depending on preference and build.
  5. Rejchadar Inquisitor

What will happen in the future can only be assumed, everything can go according to the worst scenario ... or become so good that no one dreamed of.

But now we can already talk about what we have.
    And now there is the opposite of what you are afraid of.
    First, let's define what an allied system is and is not.

Firstly, this is not a system of permanent or long-term companions, but one additional active skill and two passive skills for greater costumization of your gameplay, which took a beautiful form in the form of a short-term appearance of an ally on the battlefield ...

Secondly, the basic functional framework of the system is absolutely free, out of 9 currently available allies ,6 are absolutely free, and these 6 free allies are in no way inferior to 3 paid ones (in fact, 6 free ones are in some way even better than 3 paid ones).

Let's now take a closer look at active and passive skills and leveling speed of allies.

8 out of 9 active skills are essentially 5000 supercharge for damage (some do AoE damage, some on a single target-among the 6 free ones there are both- the damage of all 8 (free and paid) is about the same level, with the exception of the cyborg (he free) which deals more damage but is more difficult to use), the active skill of the 9 paid ally is so niche that it does not introduce any imbalance.

Passive skills are also all niche and there is no obvious leader (maybe a free cyborg is more universal (but it's free !!!!)).

Now about leveling.
    I had a lot of work this week (I had to make a memorial and a tombstone for my deceased relatives), so I didn't play very much ... but even so, I had enough EXP to fully upgrade 3 allies of the first tier, or to upgrade an ally of the second tier until you receive a passive skill and one ally of the 1st tier completely.
    So depending on your choice, you will need from a week to a month of leisurely play in order for the alt to have a fully functional allies system.
    • Like x 2