All It Takes

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I know there have been countless threads about being mistreated in-game, but how many more is it going to take for everyone to finally stop picking at each other? (Skip to the last paragraph if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, I know it's long.)

As soon as I logged into DCUO this morning, I was invited to run Nexus with a few other of my leaguemates. I've only run Nexus once ever before that, and my toon is still pretty new to a lot of the T5 content. Although I was a little hesitant at first to run the raid (I'd had an awful past couple of weeks, and have been taking a break from DCUO to sort out some of the issues in my personal life), I decided that since it was a leaguemate, and since our league has a rule that leaguemates always help each other out, I would try and help him out. I warned him that I probably wasn't going to be of much help, and he was okay with that.

I'm a troll, but the other troll in our group had a higher vit, so naturally, he provided the PoTs while I provided recharges and worked on crowd control. But as soon as we started up, I noticed that one of my buttons on my game controller kept sticking, and it just so happened to be the same button of my recharge. The DPS's and other troll were burning through power very, very quickly, and while I tried to spam recharges and drop more power, my button wouldn't allow me to use my power, no matter how hard I pressed it. I tried explaining to my group members that I was having an issue with my controller, but instead of stopping to let me try and fix the issue, they started going off about how horrible of a controller I am, and asked if I even had any idea what I was doing. Now, I've been taught by some of the best when it comes to my trolling skills. When it comes to solo trolling, I usually have a much better handle on things, and I always make sure to keep my group's power bars at least halfway full at all times. When it comes to being the "secondary" troll, I admit I have a little less experience (since I'm usually used to being PoT), but I'm usually good at keeping my allies recharged, and my enemies debuffed. This is probably one of the only times I've had an issue with keeping up, if only because my game controller wasn't working properly.

I ended up taking flack from my group members for a good 5-10 minutes. The other troll ended up leaving the raid because I wasn't "doing my part", and the insults from my group members only got worse. You can imagine how awful they made me feel. I apologized to the leaguemate who had invited me, and I left the raid, because I did not want to have to face any more ridicule from my group members. My leaguemate was very understanding, and I'm so grateful for his kind words, but all it took were the other group members' awful insults to put me in a bad mood. Eventually, I logged out, because my self-esteem was brought down so low, and I wasn't in the mood to run any more content with anyone.

Moral of the story here? Please be kind to the players you're running with. All it takes are a few insults to bring someone down, and make them not want to play anymore. DCUO should be a place where we can all escape from life to decompress for a while, but I know that for many players, that isn't the case. We need to put an end to the name-calling, insults, and the quick misjudgments. If you see a player who's struggling with something, ASK them what's going on before you start spitting out words that could potentially ruin their entire day. If you take the time to HELP them, rather than scare them away, then MAYBE you can get through the content faster, and it would certainly make for a much more pleasant experience.

(Rant over. Thanks to those of you who actually take the time to read all of this).
    • Like x 25
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm new to MMOs in particular and video games in general. I played Dragon's lair, and then nothing until DCUO, a gap of about 27 years. In the 3 years I've been playing DCUO I think I've seen more anti social behaviour in game, than anywhere else I've been. My benchmark? I served as a peacekeeper in a racially motivated civil war in Central Africa in the 90's, and I find the behaviour here more aberrant than I did there.

Just the sheer malice with which some people treat their fellow players is incredible. For a medium designed to provide enjoyment, I find it amazing the number of people who choose instead to use it as a way of abusing people. I've heard all sorts of theories, "it's just the internet", "it's just kids" etc.

I find it absolutely absurd what passes for acceptable behaviour in game. A few weeks ago I got into a thread in which I relayed a story about people making menstruation jokes towards a female player using rage powers. I was apalled to find a split between how many people thought it was inappropriate and people who thought I was over reacting. Is the bar of social niceties so low in a video game that absolutely everything is acceptable?
    • Like x 11
  3. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Honestly, this is why I don't play as a troll.
    • Like x 9
  4. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Best thing to do is shrug it off, don't let people get to you. You are always bound to find people like that and as much as I hate to say it you won't be able to change that.

Sorry if I sound like an absolute ***** couldn't you have switched the recharge to a different key when you were out of combat?

As I said don't let it get to you
    • Like x 1
  5. Jiffex New Player

I play on the PC servers and I must admit I notice it a lot more over on USPC than on EUPC. That being said what I have seen is nothing compared to other communities, go look at an average MOBA chat during a match. I feel as if it's a balance of getting a thicker skin and just ignoring what others say. That's how I do it.
    • Like x 1
  6. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I honestly don't know what it is that makes some players feel the need to constantly belittle other players for no absolute reason. I don't know if it's just the "elitists" behavior some of them have, if the person playing has anger issues they're taking out on the game, or what. I wish I knew, because I'm sick of seeing other players being put down. I'm incredibly lucky to be in a league that doesn't allow talk like that, but I can't rely on my league to protect me from every single insult another player from a different league or PUG group spits out.

When I was on PC, I was constantly being sexually harassed by other players who felt the need to hit on me just because I'm a girl. I've heard and seen some incredibly disgusting things, and people don't understand how many kids play these types of games. I mean, I'm an adult, so I can take a lot of it for the most part, but there's a point where players just begin to cross the line, and the only thing we can do is add them to our ignore list. There should be a way to ensure nothing like this happens again, but unfortunately, DCUO is a lot like social media - people have the right to say whatever they want whenever they want, and there's not much the Devs or Mods can do to stop every single person from saying certain things. There are just way too many people to keep up with, and there are some seriously sick people out there.

It saddens me that a lot of us have to go through this, but unfortunately, that's just the world we live in these days. No one cares to get to know another person or even try to understand what they're going through, they just feel the need to always say what they want regardless of the consequences.
    • Like x 5
  7. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Sorry that it happened to you but taking flack is part of the control role. That's why people hardly ever want to do it. Also if your gadgets or mental, the recharge nerf isn't going to help any.
  8. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Yes, I did try to switch it out, but we all ended up KO'ing while I was in my loadout screen. After that, many of our group members put the blame on me and left. And no, I really appreciate the kind words. I understand that I can't change anyone's behavior by just a single post. The only reason it got to me, I guess, is because this past whole month has kind of been awful for me. I guess I just bottled everything up, and the insults (coming from the one place I ever feel safe, ironically) were kind of the last straw.

I just wanted to make this post for anyone else who's ever been personally attacked, and would like to vent about it. Sometimes venting really does help.

Thanks, though :)
    • Like x 4
  9. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I'm mental -___-
    • Like x 1
  10. Night hunterr Dedicated Player

Geez...I swear some people are ********. Instead of trying to see what the problem is and find a solution, they decide to start talking crap and say unnecessary things.

Don't let it get to you. They were probably a bunch of immature brats. If you want, I could teach them a lesson. ;)
    • Like x 2
  11. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Unfortunately, it's the only thing I know how to do -___-
    • Like x 1
  12. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

A guy started a vote to kick me out of a team because I was using Synthetic Mods. (like he never did)

After 30 minutes of playing in a operation, two guys kicked me from the session. When I asked why, they just made fun of me in a rude way. (I discovered later that one of their buddies, a troller, wanted to fight the last boss for the loot, so they decided to kick me - the actual troller - to let him in). Of course I had to play again the whole operation since the beginning.

In Nexus I told a DpS that he should wait for the tank to start the fight, since he was being one-shotted every time. He snapped at me by insulting and calling me names, wondering what gave me the right to teach him how to do his job. He was kicked, but he said a lot of very mean stuff.

I play this MMO just because I enjoy too much being a superhero in such a vast world, but I'd rather play solo than in a team. Too many jerks, too many sociopaths.

edit: all of that to say that you are not alone and that it's not your fault. People, once they feel protected by the anonymity of internet, they show the worst part of them.
    • Like x 4
  13. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I've talked about it elsewhere, I think it has to do with the lack of microcues we usually get when we interact with people. When I'm at work, if I'm disciplining someone I can tell by their facial expressions how strict I can be. Some people take criticism well, and others don't so I modify my behaviour to prevent awkward crying moments in my office. For example, my FOM, if he makes an obvious mistake, I've known him for 10 years, so I can point out his mistake and call him a dummy, a university student working for me over the summer needs a kinder hand. This is social growth I've learned being in a society and learning how to interact with people.

It's almost a form of collective autism. A significant chunk of DCUO's player community has no idea of how to interact with people socially. Sometimes I think it's a form of personal reflection, they feel diminished in their real lives, DCUO being an environment they can control, they use it to make those around them feel as bad as themselves. Someone who is working or going to school beyond their skill level will take it out on the people they meet in a game where they thrive.
    • Like x 7
  14. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Just don't PUG guys

Also Ghaladh loot has been changed ages ago, so you will always get individual loot mate
  15. Terri Ashra Committed Player

After I switched from gadgets controller to rage tank the game got sooooooooo much more fun. Also love the fact that i can solo things now and how much of a joke the difference between survivability is.
    • Like x 2
  16. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

If you're on USPS, and ever need someone to run with, I'll gladly run some content with you. No insults, no judgment, just fun :)
    • Like x 4
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

When we're running all league, the insults fly hither and yon. If we pug a missing role, I refer to the pug as a "special guest star", and the insults get toned, even between league members. To me, that's just normal.
    • Like x 4
  18. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

See, my character's powerset and loadouts are specific and unique just to her. I created my toon after a character (Blaire) I've been writing about since I was 14 (I'm now 21), and I used DCUO as a way to "bring her to life", so to speak. Mental is the closest powerset the game offers to Blaire's "actual" abilities in my writing. I would feel totally wrong sticking her with a new power/role, because it's just not who she is lol.

I am, however, considering working on some of my other toons to test out their roles a little more. I've got a Fire tank villain who I'd like to get to level 30 one of these days ;)
  19. Dephyre Committed Player

I know the feeling, but honestly, it's the interwebs. Makes everyone ten foot tall and bulletproof
    • Like x 1
  20. Jiffex New Player

That is a little different, as with leagues there tends to be a line that isn't crossed where as if you are in a mainly PUG group the anonymity tends to give "keyboard warriors" a raging hard one while insulting you.
    • Like x 2