Adds that barely do damage shouldn't put us into combat.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Vulpar, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Vulpar Well-Known Player

Running through an area full of low level adds can take far longer than it should since if they hit you, they'll put you into combat and slow you down a lot. But these low level adds do less damage than 0.05% of my total health. I heal faster than they can hurt me. They actually can't kill me. If I decided to attack them, I should go into combat, but going into combat and getting ready to fight something that has no chance of killing me is just silly. I can put up a shield and they'll one shot themselves. But that puts me into combat, too.
    • Like x 5
  2. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, it would be cool if they could put in a threshold where if the damage is low enough (like less than 1-2% of your total HP) it won't drop you out of speed movement. This is particularly annoying when running races that are located next to add areas. What we have now is like if every time you walked down the street, if an ant or fly crossed your path you had to stop vs just keep walking/running.
    • Like x 4
  3. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Bigger issue is that they can CC you.
    Its absolutely crazy an makes no sense at all.
    It is beyond ridiculous that there is not thresholds for being CC’d.
    Theres thresholds for us to be able to CC enemys but any enemy can CC you.

Dont believe me? Tanke a 319 cr toon w/all 200 artifacts and max augs an go run a battle for earth duo....... its literally the reason i refuse to go do the feats. Its not worth the headache. No way a T2 add (or even a boss) should be able to CC me, period. Its just nuts.
    • Like x 5
  4. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Always found it funny(more like annoying), that random low level henchmen can react fast enough and have such amazing aim, that they can hit us while in full on super speed lol
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Oh no! People are being mildly inconvenienced by aggressive NPCs that are pretty easily avoided AND that they can take out with minimal effort (such as their weakest power or a weapon attack)!

:p

Fly or glide above them. Jump over them. Take a path that doesn't take you right through the middle of a group of hostile NPCs. Otherwise expect to be attacked and to lose some travel time.

As for races, most of them don't take you near enough to hostiles to trigger an attack and even in those races that do take you near hostile NPCs you shouldn't be targeted and attacked while running the race. I didn't get attacked while recently running the Aerial race that takes you through some of the Home Turf content (Ace Chemicals). The only thing that slowed me down at points was not hitting rings exactly in some of the tighter spots and panicking a bit about getting back on course.

If there's a race where you're getting attacked it might be worth flagging that as a bug so it gets fixed.
    • Like x 1
  6. Vulpar Well-Known Player

I disagree that players should have to go out of their way to avoid what amounts to bugs at high levels.

Speaking of easily avoiding adds, though, it'd be great if the Open Worlds didn't funnel you through tiny doorways where there's a batch of adds and make them IMPOSSIBLE to avoid (a la Patchwork).
    • Like x 1
  7. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Sure, but again, what about the CC that literally any baby add can (and 100% will) do to you even if your endgame? Why is there no threshold? U dont think these like these just slow things down an detract from gameplay? Its not a “mild inconvenience”. Its a huge inconvienience. It detracts from the gameplay and puts ppl off. Run the battle for earth duo’s an then come see me.....
    • Like x 1
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

And to add to that, when adds CC you (like slow an ground specifically) the effect lasts an runs its course. Sure the add can be 1-shotted BUT its too late, the damage is done. We have already been pointlessly grounded/slowed. Its irritating as F%#€. It serves no functional purpose in the game.
    Im willing to bet a fair bet that not 1 single player is so inept as to enjoy that type of thing. When the content is relevant its irritating but part of the mechanics so it makes sense even if annoying. When your past relevancy, it is absurd and only serves to deter ppl from running the content
    • Like x 1
  9. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Patchwork and Thanagar should be open landscapes but they feel more like tunnel networks with windows. I can see the sun but I still feel boxed in and claustrophobic. I really really wish they’d stop making open worlds like this. Quite aside from the add harassment, it’s incredibly immersion breaking to suddenly bump into an invisible ceiling. Especially when the height of the thing is all over the place and has no relationship with where the floor is.
    • Like x 2
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just swat them and move on. Simple, efficient and you might even snag a Lockbox or some Nth Metal in the process.

There is no threshold because we don't get 100% immunity from CC effects at any point in the game (as far as I know of). That means that even if we're at endgame we're not going to be immune from CC even if the hostile NPC is WAY below our CR.

And yes, it's a minor inconvenience. If you don't turn around and attack the NPC that aggros you and puts you into combat, you're slowed down for about 5-7 seconds (usually find a slow count to five or six is when the slowdown ends if I don't fight back). If the NPC is much lower in level/CR then add a few more seconds to account for whatever attack you use to get rid of them. At most you're looking at 10-15 seconds tops of slowdown on low level NPCs. It's about the same amount of time one would spend if they stopped to grab an Exo node or a collection.
    • Like x 1
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Yes i know, thats the point of this. It needs fixed/changed. You cant just kill an move on (again, go run the BFE duos an see how long it takes to clear all 3. Should be 3 min topps (1 min per) but takes upward of 7-10 min each because of the non-stop CC. Its absurd...... your saying 5-7 sec an 10-15 sec as if thats not alot. Sure its not if it was 1 time per instance but its not. At times its literally every add through the whole thing. Real world application/reality is vastly dif than your making it seem.
    If your good with how it is an its not a bother to you then this thread and convo isint for you, move along. Start a thread about you just love being non-stop CC’d in low end content.
    I appreciate what your trying to say but its false. Reality is vastly dif then the 1 time 5-7 sec your attempting to claim.
    The math disagrees with you (sorry but facts are facts).
    It takes less than a second to kill the add but the add can CC you for 5-7 sec (by your own Admission). That means the instance by basic math takes 5-7x longer than it should....... this is an issue an one of the many things deterring players from running lower content. Choose to agree or admit it or not, its a very real issue an needs addressed by devs.
    • Like x 1
  12. tukuan Devoted Player

When stuff that this happens, esp when I'm my speed toon just trying to get from a to b, I keep thinking that it would make an interesting movement mode addition.

Basically you can use SP to decrement the timer for coming out of movement mode. Say each point added will reduce by .25 sec. To avoid shenanigans in pvp or pve exploits, if you use a weapon or power it will add a cool down to the effect of say 2-5 min.

That way if you are just moving through a zone at super speed you could effectively shrug off the adds so long as you don't engage with them. However if you hit a weapon or a power things will be as they are now.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I have no problem with it because the game has been like this from the start. Combat has always slowed us down and we've never been 100% immune to CC effects. Even during the CR differential days when we could blast through lower level NPCs just by looking at them, we'd still get slowdowns and the like. If a player hasn't figured that out or adjusted to that by this point in their game time, that's on them.

And I choose to comment because I think this whole argument is in the "making a mountain out of a molehill" category. Slowdowns and CC effects can be troublesome and a serious problem in the wrong situation while running content at level/CR. Those are the situations where you end up knocked out and looking at repair bills.

But when you're high enough in CR that they don't really pose a threat unless you stand there like a statue and do nothing? It's an inconvenience. They can slow you down, but that's about it. That slowdown isn't going to kill you in those situations.
  14. the solowing Steadfast Player

Its mild at best if you can 1 shot the thing attacking you..
    • Like x 1
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

S When i hear the response “its always been that way” (which is what your saying when you say “I have no problem with it because the game has been like this from the start”) i just cringe. Its the excuse i have most heard in my career in any aspect in any job when presenting the board, teams, etc with change. Its easily the least credible excuse to resist change. Just because its always been that way doesnt make it the rite way and for sure doesnt mean it shouldnt be changed.
  16. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Again, run the BFE duo’s an come see me. Its not mild at best. It makes a 1 min topps duo take upward of 7 -10 min at times.
    Is not changing the time it takes to do thing by mere seconds. Its not changing by a static value. Its multiplicative. It compounds the time requred to do certain things an adds 0 value an 0 fun to the game.
    And thats the whole point
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

This subject has been discussed before and while most agree it is kind of stupid you can see exactly how much the dev team took those previous comments and fixed the issue. As many know I arrived on the streets of the DCUO shortly after City of Heroes shut down for good. NOW in that game the dev team had it set up so low level adds just stopped being aggroed by you once you got way higher than they were.......... SO THE TECHNOLOGY DOES EXIST. And in Gotham Under Siege there is even one briefing you click on where a thug talks to his buddy about the fact that the "bosses" expect them to attack super heroes. I forget the exact text but it goes something like " The Guy has Super strength and shoots lightning from his eyes and we have baseball bats.... BASE BALL BATS!" So the devs even make jokes about how dumb it can be.

So let us think about this shall we.. I take my CR 317 DPS to Metropolis to hunt for Exobytes, as example and run across a duo of "level 7" thugs. The thugs immediately attack and with one weapon attack I obliterate both. WHAT IN GOD'S NAME MADE A 7 LEVEL THINK HE STOOD A CHANCE IN HELL AGAINST A SUPER POWERED BEING OVER 300 TIMES STRONGER THAN HE WAS? The only possible explanation.... Those super villain must feed their minions some really strong drugs. :confused: LOL
  18. the solowing Steadfast Player

Roll and use lunge to leap frog chain pull and 1 shot them all
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Races should have a no aggro feature in them. So unless you attack an NPC, you can bump right into them without being attacked. This was direct result to a specific race in South Gotham that was impossible to run without having a league worth of friends killing the path.

If one does, report it, it's a bug.
  20. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Yea or they could just fix the game the way it should have been from the start an make it operate CC’s on threshold Like we operate on.........
    Instead of attempting to justify it and work around it why not advocate a change? The fact you put at least a moment of thought into a way around says that you too find it bothersome an agree it shouodnt be that way otherwise you wouldnt have searched a workaround.
    Come to the darkside, its OK to disagree with how it currently is.