About Earth 3's Change To The Superman Model

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrMigraine, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

My thoughts exactly.

Hopefully this isn't a trend but there's very little hope left.:(
    • Like x 3
  2. EconoKnight XIII Legion

• Like x 3
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

as much as i love the classic versions a little updating doesn't hurt. the marvel games out there do a really good job of
    giving their players tons of variety. their games include all versions of their popular characters up to their movie and small screen looks.

i do think without the red break supes new suit looks a little too plain.

can't stand the jl's movie looks though. aquaman looks like sigmunds sea monster and beast man from the 80's masters of the universe movie had a love child.
    • Like x 1
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Remember (or realize) that DCUO is set prior to Nu52, haven't read DC since the 90's, but wasn't there some big Universal reset (or something) that explained the change? Similar to when Superboy Primer got grumpy and punch a hole through the fabric of the Universe(s) or something

And do you really want Wondie-Undies wearing trousers?

If this was just a brief (heh, get it?) promotional thing for the final DC Live Action movie (like Soupgirl's change for her TV show), then that would be fine, but changing the look of one character to their 'modern' long-johns without an explanation is just wrong
    • Like x 2
  5. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

lol, remind me a Mexican band, Molotov.
  6. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

What did i miss read?
    • Like x 1
  7. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I love it. I hope they reskin all the NPCs in game to look more modern. I get the whole different universe thing, but at this point, i just don't care. Any upgrades graphically this game can get whether it be with dc lore or the lighting in Gotham i will embrace with open arms. I feel like the modern look makes the game feel more alive and instep with the current dc universe on tv and film, more modern, more immersive, more connected because you see that version on tv and in comics then you play next to them in game. Not that there was anything wrong with older versions, this just seems fitting as the dc universe has evolved so should our game.

Remember this game is its own universe that pulls ideas from comics but isnt based on them. So just because the costumes are based pre new 52 doesnt mean the universe is, it's it's own universe so they can wear any costumes they like.
    • Like x 4
  8. MastaMind Dedicated Player

We all know that the underwear/overwear is the source of his true power. Hopefully he will be less powerful now when you have to hunt him in the Metropolis Battlezone for that bounty. I got an alt to the level where that area is where his daily/weekly open worlds are. I knew that I wasn't going to beat him solo so I brought a team of FIVE with me. 212 CR, 209 CR, 206 CR, 206 CR, and 111 CR. The results were that myself and the 111 CR could not even take a single shot from him. Shields or not we died instantly. I didn't stop to think that maybe it was because we had literally just ran LPVE (Still glitches your defense despite me reporting it on day 2 of the revamp, and submitting a ticket back in late September), but I cannot even imagine how a team of players who are on par with that content are supposed to survive it. Of course we beat it, but I died literally any time that I got near him. I even went into tank role, with tank gear/build, and I would eat death even while holding block/wearing my shield/209 shields.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The qualifier: "everyone still says 'underwear on the outside'" ie if you don't say that, then you are not a moron

Deliberate spreading of ignorance is something that will not stand by and allow happen
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You misread nothing. I read it the same way.
    • Like x 1
  11. Shadow Force Committed Player

I'm not a moron if that's what you are saying, fine what do you want people to say strongman pants ?
  12. Rigel Cygni Well-Known Player

I like the changes they did to sups, would like to see a refreshed batman and most of all ww even her hair looks weird and her skin is almost yellow like she has a liver disease lol
    • Like x 1
  13. SigmaAtom Committed Player

I totally get where you're coming from emotionally.. it was the first thing that hit me when i saw it. 'no more DCUO Superman??'

BUT saying that.. it DOES mean the models are getting an update to better graphics, and that's something everyone has asked for AGES; better graphics. Sooo.. if this is the start of mass updating (over a lot of time), I'm all up for seeing the future detailed designs.. even if we lose a moderate slice of our DCUO heritage.
    • Like x 3
  14. light FX Steadfast Player

It also seems that power ring is nowhere to be found in the episode at all. Kinda strange that 1 member of the crime syndicate was completely left out. I can see grid or deathstorm being left out but 1 of the members of the group since its inception? No.

And the underwear on the outside look is beyond dated. Its about time they started moving on. And whether its trunks or a speedo or whatever the hell it is people say "underwear on the outside" because thats what it looks like. Who cares what the actual correct term is. Its a dated look.
    • Like x 3
  15. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Disappointing, I know. :(

But we just had a JSA Episode that left out Founding Members The Atom, Sandman, Hourman and The Spectre. We also just had a WWII Episode that left out Sgt. Rock and Easy Company.

There's only so much time in the day, I suppose. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  16. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Each new character model they add to the game = extra work = extra $$$ to spend.

So I guess when they budgeted for a certain number of characters.... they only had the budget for 4 CSA members... so they left out Power Ring.

As for the "dated look"... the word you're looking for is "Classic". ;)

If you want an example of "dated look"... the NU52 are perfect examples of that.
    Those were dated about 5 seconds after they were designed. ;)

A Marvel example of that would be the Ultimates. Those were "dated".
    Heck by the time that the last issue by Millar and Hitch was finally published.... the Ultimates were VERY dated by then thanks to a truckload of pop references and character designs that were outdated by the time the last issues of the series were published.

Usually something becomes dated by trying to follow current trends.
    Sadly.... current threads do not last very long...
    So.... if you make something that follows the current trends.... very quickly it becomes dated.

A way to try avoid being "dated" is to go with elements that are "timeless".
    For example the Gotham TV show.
    Although it is supposed to be modern with cell phones.....
    they still use analog TVs and other such element so that you cannot really tell what year that show is supposed to be made.

If Gotham was using the current trends.... in 5 years you could tell "Oh yeah... that Gotham TV show was done 5 years ago".
    But buy using things that are NOT current..... in 5 years you will find it more difficult to tell if the show was made last year?? 5 years ago?? 10 years ago??

By using something Classic.... it makes it timeless.

For example the Star Wars music is timeless because they did not try to make it sound like what was the current trends at the time.
    They went allll the way back to the Classics and actually made the Star Wars music sound like Classical music.

The DCUO characters were not "dated".... they were "Classics".
    Sadly by trying to make them more "current"..... now THAT will make them 'dated" before long.
    heck the long john Rebirth Superman look is already dated thanks to looking like the Man of Steel costume from 4 years ago.

I get that many people do not like anything Classic.
    Sadly many people can't seem to be able to appreciate anything that happened before their time.

Heck we see it all the time...
    Heck the NU52 was a perfect example of throwing anything Classic about comics in the dumpster and making them more "modern".
    Heck Marvel pretty much ruined all their Comics by getting rid of their Classic characters and replacing them with more "modern" version like Riri Williams, female Thor, America Chavez, etc.

Most people cannot appreciate
    Classic Films
    Classic Music
    and of course.... Classic Comics and Classic Comic Costumes. ;)
    • Like x 5
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

The whole dated and classic thing you're saying is your opinion. Mine is different. And any look from 60-70 years ago imo is dated. U dont see people wearing clothes from the 1930-40s and it being called classic. Even the new movies are starting to use different looks because its about to be 2018 and those "classic" styles are very very old. Also i get people may like the "classic" look but there is also nothing wrong with having updated looks also. Game has been around almost 7 years now with the "classic" superman look. Nothing wrong with a change. And new52 styles being dated? Again that is your opinion.

The definition of dated is "old fashioned." Styles from 10-20 years ago wont be considered old fashioned by almost everyone. Where as styles from 75 years are clearly old fashioned. If ya wanna call new52 styles dated well then its obvious styles from 75 years ago are also dated by definition.

As far as the budget goes i have no idea why players on here continue to seem to think they know what daybreaks budget is. None of us know that. If they are going to do a much requested story arc they shouldnt leave out a key member of the group. They wouldnt do a justice league story and leave out batman or superman.
  18. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Fashion is Cyclical.
    "Old fashioned" looks make a come back all the time. ;)

For example Stripes which was quite popular last year comes from allllll the way from 1917 inspired by French Navy Uniforms of the time. And it made a come back from time to time since 1917.

Another example would be Fringe. Which made a comeback from alllll the way back from the 70s.....
    and in the 70s had made a comeback from the 50s.... and before that from the 20s/30s.

Lace would be another example of something "current" that actually comes from the 70s and before that from the 20s.

So... yes..... people today do wear clothes from 60-70+ years ago. They just don't know it. ;)

Thinking that the NU52 designs looks "good" or "bad" is an opinion.

Thinking that it is "dated" is not.

But it might be a matter of scemantic.... or potatoe potato. ;)

You see "dated" as only meaning "outdated".
    i see it more as "marked with a date" or "marked with a fixed point in time".
    Both are a definition for "dated".

EDIT: Although the NU52 designs are "outdated".... they have all been replaced by the Rebirth designs. Heck some were replaced less then 2 years after the launch of the NU52. ;)

When the NU52 designs were made... they tried to follow the current trends of the time.... like imitating the Batman Begin costume But the Batman Begin costume was already on it's way out to be replaced by the BvS Batman costume.

So that pretty much set the NU52 to a specific point in time.
    So anyone who sees a NU52 character would know it is from 2011/2014.

If I show a Superman picture with the "underwear"..... could you tell if it is from 10 years ago?? 20 years ago?? 30 years ago??
    For example this picture;
    [IMG]

You probably could.... but odds are most people cannot.

And for the NU52 designs.... none of them withstood the test of time.
    Pretty quickly most of them got new designs.
    And by the time Rebirth came around.... pretty much all the NU52 designs were gone. \
    So the NU52 are pretty much set in a very specific point in time.

As for the "Budget"??
    No need to know what the Daybreak budget is to know that they do have a Budget.

Anyone who worked on a production and who had to take the budget into account knows that you have to work within a certain Budget.
    No need to know what the Budget is to know that.... at all.

So you have your Global Budget for everything.
    So you decide to assign your Budget.
    x amount for new locations
    x amount for new missions
    x amount for the coffee machine ;)
    and x amount to make new character models.

Once you decide how much you can spend on new character models.....
    Then you decide how many new character models you can make.
    So you decide for example ....
    lets make 10 new character models (not the actual number.... just an example ;) ;) ).

So you need One model for Alexander Luthor. wink wink ;)
    One NEW model for Superman.... somehow the game will be much improved removing the "red underwear"..... of course. ;)
    4 new models for new enemies to fight in the various missions and the Open World.

That leaves 4 new models left for the CSA themselves.

So... then you decide which one you use.
    You might decide to limit yourself to the 5 original members..... but still that is one too many.
    So you make a choice..... no Power Ring this time. Maybe you can add him in Earth 3 Part 2 in the future??

Sure.... you could decide that he is tooooooo important and that you MUST have all 5 originals.
    But then that means removing one of the other new models you need.

At the end of the day.... they decided to go with only 4 members of the CSA.
    And I am pretty sure they did not decide to leave one out Power Ring just to make a joke.

If they left him out... odds are they just could not add him within the time/budget that they assigned to add new character models in the DLC.

Otherwise..... why not include him??
    Pretty sure if they did not include it..... it is not just to piss off Power Ring fans.
    Pretty sure if they had unlimited time and budget..... they not only would have included Power Ring.... but the whole CSA..... and Every CSA members ever.
    Although pretty sure they never thought Power Ring had so many fans also.... and never thought that leaving him out would be an issue. ;) ;)

Again.... Yes I do not know what their Budget is....
    but no need to know what their Budget is to know that they do have a Budget.... and they must work within that Budget.

Call it an educated guess if you will. ;) ;)
    • Like x 3
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Forgot to mention..... ;)

What is the difference between "Classic" and "dated" or "outdated" if you will??

"Classic" stood the test of time.
    Which is why we have "Classical Music" from a looong time ago.
    Or Classic literature.
    or Classic comics. ;)

"Classics" are as a rule of thumb "timeless".

"Dated" or "Outdated" did not stand the test of time..
    They are fixed in a specific point in time and pretty much dissapeared after that.

For example....
    The Superman "underwear" look is "classic" because it stood the test of time for like 70+ years.

The NU52 Superman look is "dated".
    It lasted about..... 2 years??? and was replaced by a new costume by John Romita JR.... then was replaced by a T-Shirt and Jeans... then by the Rebirth Superman costume.

So the NU52 Superman costume is "dated" because it pretty much is fixed in a specific point in time 2011/2013??
    And it is "outdated" because it was replaced very quickly by a new costume and could not stand the test of time at all. Not even close. :(

Now... let's see how long the Rebirth costume last before Superman gets another new costume. ;)
    • Like x 4
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Call them what they are: trunks, or, as you added at the end, strongman pants

------------------------------

The classic outfits are Iconic for a reason: nearly everyone who has heard of Superman, or Batman, or Wonder Woman, know what they look like and would most often describe them wearing those outfits they were originally designed with. How many people, outside of the fanatic comicbook readers, would even know what the Nu52 outfit looked like? Or the Rebirth or whatever else came along?

There is a difference between 'Iconic' and 'Classic': Iconic is basically how they are viewed by the majority (examples of 'Iconic' things: Golden Gate Bridge, Eiffel Tower and Big Ben, when you hear those words you almost certainly flash on the names of San Francisco, Paris slash France and London slash England), when you mention 'Superman' most would picture him in bold Red, Blue and Yellow with the red trunks
    'Classics' are things that have stood the test of time, they may or may not be still around, but are still remembered and if they do get 'forgotten', someone will eventually remember and bring them back. As someone already said, classics tend to get recycled all the time

You don't have to like them, but you can not just dismiss them because you don't like them

How many people actually came to this game because of the Iconic looks for the 'Trinity'?
    • Like x 3