A sad goodbye to census.soe.com and data.soe.com

Discussion in 'Developer Notes' started by airmetforums, Mar 30, 2015.

1. airmetforums Administrator

Joking! Just the domain is changing! The new domain is census.daybreakgames.com.

Please reconfigure your apps to replace census.soe.com and data.soe.com with census.daybreakgames.com!

The existing census.soe.com and data.soe.com will be turned off on April 30th 2015. We will no longer own the soe domain so we cannot continue to handle requests after April 30th.

Besides the domain changing there have also been some major updates to the code and system. However, the api should remain the same and all queries should continue to work as they did. Please watch for any unexpected behavior or errors and report them to data-feedback@soe.sony.com.

Thanks and keep on making great apps for the community!
    • Like x 13
  2. Cortana Level 30

Funny thing though how the census.daybreakgames.com webpage still features the SOE and Sony name and Logos at the top of the page, a year later. I guess some things are just difficult to let go of. :)
    • Like x 1
  3. airmetforums Administrator

Good point! I think it's about time to get that changed.
  4. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Any possibility of having the time played for each toon added back in to the available Census info?

Another useful tool would be where specific items drop.

For Example, if you searched for this:
    http://dcuolive.com/Item/Show?ItemId=1693126

The returned data would also include the name of the npc who drops it or at least the name of the instance
  5. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Why would that be useful?

Honestly, all I can see is lots of whining like "The name I want, nay deserve has only been used for 1 hour....I demand the name be reclaimed for my use".
    • Like x 1
  6. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Trying the sneaky way so the community who spoke out against it can be taken by surprise? ;)

That info you're asking for belongs into the login screen - total account playing time and the time played per toon. Not in the apps.
    • Like x 2
  7. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

:rolleyes: It's a legitimate request, If daybreak catalogs my time in game - it is fair for me to ask that they make it available in some way.
    It was on Census before and it seems to me that is the easiest way to provide it.

It's not my fault or concern that other people want to hide this information due to their own insecurities.
  8. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

No it's not. It was there, concern was raised, and it was decided to remove it. Democracy is also about learning to deal with being at the losing end of a decision ;) It's not the other people's fault that the facebook generation totally lost it :D
    • Like x 2
  9. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Ask for it to be included on the character selection or stats screen then.

I'd also add that if daybreak catalogs my time in game - it is fair for me to ask that the not make it available in some way.
  10. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Idk, if i ever see the total time i've played it would be like Dorian Gray stabbing his painting or something like that, I can only imagine i'd go like "N..Nooo...NOOOOOOOO" and then rapidly age and turn to dust. :D
    • Like x 2
  11. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

When it was up... My average was 6 hrs per day over 2 years.... ouch:D
    • Like x 1
  12. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Why do you care if other people know how much you play?
  13. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Because I do.

Beyond that, I don't feel any particular need to explain myself.
    • Like x 3
  14. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Who says I do? Have a look at our community, have a look at the elitist behaviour around here. You will just succeed in giving them a new tool to exclude people from groups - "must have played 400+ hours on this toon". And that's what I care about - giving the toxic elitists another reason to stay here instead of finally moving on and with their absence offering this game a chance to change directions.

No matter how harmless the information - in the hands of the wrong persons it can always be turned into something bad. But as I said - the facebook generation will never understand that.
    • Like x 1
  15. Polymerase Well-Known Player

It could do with living behind an authentication layer, i.e. a private/app key associated with your account.
    That way you can use the api (or allow a user to upload their key to you app) to authorise it - removing it from your account at any point. Win Win, but would obviously require work.

There are already authenticated_ sections in the api, it's just limited/locked to the login of players.dcuniverseonline.com (so you can see base items, inventory etc...).
    • Like x 1
  16. Ghoul Well-Known Player

like this one...^
  17. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Sounds very similar to the opt-in / opt-out idea that was raised when Census data went live.
    • Like x 1
  18. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

And sadly was declined back then as well. It's no use bringing the old discussions back up here, decisions have been made. However, getting more info to the login screen is a recurring, at times ongoing topic that hasn't produced neither a "no" or "working on it" yet. Couldn't be too hard to add informations like body type, time played, league, CR, SP at the login screen. I fact, that is where the welcome UI should have been added, making room for the patch notes there to display more information.

There's also a possibility to add league information like "number of members online". However, I'd expect people to not even bother logging in when their league info says "0 members online", so this might backfire. I can totally think of leagues with all of their active member starring at the screen waiting for the first member to be online before entering the game themselves ;) so this might backfire :D
    • Like x 2
  19. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Honestly, I doubt that much will be changing on the census front....but if somebody wants to push for more data, then I'll be pushing for opt-in / opt-out...like a lone sentry guarding standing watch in case of...something. Probably missing out on the party, but if I left my post, the invasion would begin.

Ha...I imagine that people wouldn't log in until there were at least seven people already on!
  20. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

3 will do next month ;)
    • Like x 2