A look at how the new R&D Gear system works

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Torikumu, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

I bet you guys have a lot of fun variable and function names in your code!
  2. Loche Developer

I like to have the variables defined like that for logging. Makes it more readable for me. Ya it is more lines, and not as efficient.

EDIT: I also do not write code for this game. ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Now, now, nerds... let's maintain the decorum. We wouldn't want you to start throwing your Star Wars figures at each other or anything.

;)
    • Like x 2
  4. Polymerase Well-Known Player

I don't know whether to be happy or sad by that comment :confused:

Seriously, I wish everyone had some idea of how to code, and with an understanding of parallelism... from an early age.
    must. get. off. soapbox.

Star wars is overrated :p
  5. Loche Developer

Two things:
    1. I do know how to write code. I have a background in it, and I dabble at home. My last game, SWG, designers were pretty much writing Java all the time. :D
    2. Your Star Wars comment makes me not like you. j/k
    I almost responded with a picture of an enormous Millennium Falcon we had here at the studio. And say "My Star Wars toys are bigger than yours!"
    Ok, no more off-topic chats. I am happy people are liking the changes to loot and R&D.
    • Like x 10
  6. Delta795 New Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Loche, you can hijack my threads whenever you want, good Sir :) Especially because of your contributions to the wonderful new R&D gear system.

In fact whilst we have your attention, could you clarify for me:

• Do salvaged Common drops only yield either 2 or 5 scraps?
    • Do salvaged Uncommon drops only yield either 4 or 10 scraps?
    • How many scraps do Purple drops yield?
    • Is there going to be a naming convention for each season, or will they always be known as Metalloids?
    • Will Elite gear eventually be given the same treatment? Right now, Elite gear has no appeal to me because it's not protected by the R&D safety net.
  8. Loche Developer

Yes, both of those types can go higher than what you have listed. I am at home right now, and cannot remember the exact number for the purples. Either 6 or 8 is the minimum.
    • Like x 1
  9. Backseid Devoted Player

1. Bring back SWG. That's all I have to say about that.

2. I only skimmed page six here as I have to go to bed and don't have time to sort through all the nonsense.

3. I came into this thread for a reason. Tonight I ran DC and the new raid. Non of the gear I salvaged gave any scraps. Is there something I have to buy first to activate this feature or something? No one I ran with tonight has any idea how this all works either because, once again, we have this all new feature with zero in game explanation.

4. I don't like that guy now either... not joking :p
    • Like x 1
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

You can only get scraps from Episode 18, Episode 19 and Episode 20 content to build the 130, 133 and 136 gear. This is being touted as "Season 2".

Desecrated Cathedral drops won't yield you any scraps at the moment. Soon it will, but those scraps will only be applicable to the 120, 123 and 126 Energy armour gear. This will be touted as "Season 1".

When Season 3 begins in Episode 21, a new scrap will be introduced to build the (guessing) 140, 143 and 146 gear.

The new raid (Blackest Day) drops should have yielded you some scraps, if you salvaged them. Check your inventory for Scraps boxes (see video) as you get one of those when you salvage gear.

I agree about the in-game messaging btw. I don't even think my league are aware. They keep talking about "crap drops" and the various base items, which leads me to believe they don't even know about collecting trash gear to salvage for parts. I guess that's what happens when you're a bottom feeder in that sort of league :p Infinite amounts of knowledge and information, but overlooked because I'm not a top dawg. Was lolling at them figuring out Atomic tho >: D
    • Like x 2
  11. Backseid Devoted Player

Jesus. Are you serious? DC will drop scraps for "Season 3". Can't these guys do one, just one, thing right. I've said it a hundred times, and I said it would be this way with this as well. They have to grossly over complicate everything. That's ridiculous.

They said scraps would drop from all content that had "loot windows". Part of the allure to this was to extend the relevancy of content. Now you're telling me it's instance specific depending on the specific gear pieces?

I'm sorry, I know we're not supposed to "bash" them, but this is flat out stupid. Just like every other new feature they implement. Over complicated for no good God damn reason. Once again setting limitations and stripping any sense of free decision making.

Fail, fail, fail, fail, fail. Again, again, again, again, and... again.
    • Like x 2
  12. Polymerase Well-Known Player

DC will drop scraps for Season 1 (to to be implemented for Season 1 content in a future update).

Episode 18, 19, 20 -> Scraps for Season 2
    Episode 21, 22, 23 -> Scraps for Season 3
    etc...

If I've interpreted it correctly :)
    • Like x 1
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

No no, calm down *throws bucket of water* :p

As Polymerase says, DC will drop scraps for Season 1. So will Bombshells Paradox, Corrupted Zamaron, Oa under Seige, Flash Museum Duo and Unholy Matrimony. These scraps will be used to construct the Energy Armour gear that's no longer the most recent style set.

It will be better in terms of relevancy once it's had chance to kick in properly. Episode 21 will see the launch of Season 3 and the new gear, as well as the new scrap to build said gear. But if you haven't been able to get all the pieces from Episode 19 or 20, you'll still have use for going back into the older content to get components to construct your gear.

Certain pieces (the Rings and Face) can ONLY be obtained via the R&D gear system. So it's best to carry on grinding for those components, anyway, if you're looking to maximise your gear to it's fullest potential. The face launches next month with Episode 19 and the Rings launch with Episode 20.
  14. Polymerase Well-Known Player

And here's a picture:

[IMG]

Note:
    Black: Available from Vendor, Drops (rare/epic) OR R&D (rare/epic) - In that episode.
    Orange: Via R&D ONLY
    • Like x 1
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Is there going to be an inferior vendor Ring/Face, too? I was sure I saw there would be, but not a rare drop of those items.
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

Over complicate for no good reason. It's like these guys are sooo far out of touch. You have to try and look at things from the players perspective. This is completely daft.
    • Like x 2
  17. Backseid Devoted Player

*shakes water out of hair*

Nope. Sorry. Fail. Too complicated. Everything should be dropping the same scraps. Then people have a choice of what to run. This will never catch on.

If we've run certain instances a million times w/o getting that one or two pieces of gear needed, we've put our time in in that content. No reason to have to run it more in order to craft.

Over complicated, as usual, for no good reason.
    • Like x 3
  18. Polymerase Well-Known Player

Apologies, I've made a typo it's rare only in R&D - you can't create epic via R&D.

I thought Ring & Face should be R&D only ? I'll double check shortly :)
    • Like x 1
  19. Malachyte Devoted Player

Personally I'm getting the plan for every drop of 130 as I get...I just got the chest last night, so now I'll get the chest plan and start working on to craft my Elite piece so on so forth
  20. ChillCat Loyal Player

*slips Backseid some herbal tea with a shot of something "stronger"*

It'll work...it is working...just give it some time. Running the Pit duo a few times on my main and alts, there is a healthy mix of common and uncommon gear so the 40% luck increase is working. I'm getting plenty of scraps, so in the event I don't get to run the raid often, I have an opportunity to still earn the raid-level gear in a separate way over just random luck from a raid that may or may not drop rare gear.

Also consider that the Pit duo is dropping gear that's at the same level as the UM raid, so you'll have the choice of either going back to beat the raid more readily to get those styles and additional chances for good gear, or if styles are you main motivator, wait until you get to Ep 24 and you can purchase the set of the style vendor.

There's always room for improvement but it is working.