A few observations from a PC player...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DoctorP2, Feb 7, 2016.

1. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

I've been playing DCUO regularly and consistently for over 4 years now on the PC, and cross play has definitely changed my experience of the game -- some ways good, some ways not so good. Here are just a few random observations, FWIW:

Queue times are MUCH shorter pretty much across the board, especially with smaller content. Duos and the seasonal event are either instant or less than 30 seconds wait time. Big thumbs up there.

Despite what some others are saying, I experience no lag at all.

What bugs I've seen have been relatively minor -- the most annoying one has been when when I hit F4 and pull up the list of league members. The names of members who are online show up just fine; for those not online, only a rank icon appears in the list.

I've had to add a lot of people to ignore in the last few days. Shout and trade are now filled with F-bombs, racial, gender, and sexuality slurs, WAY more than I've ever seen in game before. Filtering out idiots is going to be an ongoing process now, I see.

I ran LOA yesterday to pick up the last feat I had to do there (villain list). One player rushed past the adds to the first boss and yelled at the rest of us repeatedly to join him. (Sorry, dude, we're trying to survive all the adds you left behind.). Before we could catch up to him, he called us all "scrubs" and rage quit. This may not be a cross play phenomenon, but it's the first time I've seen a player get so angry and abusive so quickly.

I've given up on using LFG for anything. The messages go by so fast, it's like watching movie credits scroll by at 3X speed. 95% of them are for PBN or PBE, and they all have ridiculous demands for power sets, cr, and sp. No thanks. Those are blame groups waiting to happen.

The last thing I've noticed is something kind of funny and kind of pathetic at the same time. I play mostly female toons so I'll have something pleasant to look at while I'm flying around the city. :). Before cross play, about once every three or four months a random male character would try to strike up a conversation, which I would usually ignore or politely decline. Now I get ninja group invites, characters who position themselves six inches in front of me for a good look, and tells that tell me how "hot" I look EVERY DAY. Seriously? When I tell them they're trying to pick up a 62 year old man (which is true), the conversations end quickly, but it's sure not hard to see why a lot of female gamers feel harassed in this environment.

To be fair, though, most of the missions I pug are successful and just fine. My "waves" and texts in group chat are rarely answered, but that's okay, I don't mind silence. (I've got a headset with a mic, I just don't care to use it except in league runs with people I know.). I look forward to more gameplay with my PS colleagues, the ones who don't engage in boorish behavior, that is. :)
    • Like x 34
  2. SKATEBOARDER666 New Player

Let's all be honest with each other here, about 85% of both communities make the average grommet playing Calling Of Duty look like a poet laureate. Cross play just made the s**t show a little bit bigger. Let the good times roll.
    • Like x 11
  3. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Must admit that some PS players brought a lot of drama with them. Quick to flip out and quick to abandon instances.
    Another thing that surprised me is that PS seem to run all raids with 2 healers.
    • Like x 2
  4. Sapphire Melody Well-Known Player

My experience with crossplay was (leveling version) Area51 on an alt. Two people kept dying, so after the first boss one of them left and shortly after that the other player left as well... oh except they just went linkdead. PS players Y U NO LOG OUT. Can't say I'm eager to run more stuff with PS pugs if they all behave like that.

When there were more people on EUPC villains, there also were like 10% saying hi in chats. Nothing really changed there.

It's nice to see more than 5 people in the HoD and the broker is rather full. Would be interesting to see someone from PS side commenting on how the economy changed for them. For PC side, selling a trash item like a collection from a running event for 200-500k is funny - they usually went for 10k max. outside the event.

Another thing is, there's no way to tell which people are just trolling a bit because they are excited about crossplay and which belong on ignore because they actually mean stuff like "PC master race" or "Bow before PS".

I'll just see how the situation develops in a few weeks.
  5. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

That happened to me in Arkham when I first started playing this game on USPC two and a half years ago. The wife and I were running together as healer and tank respectively, and we were being yanked all over the place by Ivy's minions with the vines. How were we supposed to skip those enemies if we couldn't even move toward the door without getting pulled back (we could probably do it now with the experience gained, but we were new)?

Most of your issues sound more like problems brought about by a higher population leading to a higher chance of encounters with immature people.
    • Like x 1
  6. Korlick Loyal Player

So far, the only "bad" (not that bad actually, but ridiculous) thing ive seen since is this: In LFG "need X (cant remember what they were lf) for Blackest Night PC only"
    And another group was shouting for a DPS for BN or BD (cant remember) i shouted, got invited, full PC group. I got kicked.

And the really bad experience i had (rude players) i dont make a big deal about it, it happened before and will happen again. No matter what platform the player is.
    • Like x 2
  7. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

My main observation so far is that PS players are enjoying new PC friends and Crossplay, whereas PC players (at least on the forums) are complaining about how PS players do things.

:)
    • Like x 21
  8. spack2k Steadfast Player

my main observation about puging since crossplay is that the needed time to join a group has been decreased by 500% but at the same time also the total time to finish the content has been increased by atleast 500%, basically u wait 5 min to join a group tops but u will need 90 min+ to finish a raid such as BN so the result of finishing relevant content is the same as before crossplay just that now instead of waiting frustrated to find a group u get alot of frustrated playtime.
    • Like x 5
  9. Minnion Devoted Player

At least our odds of getting something out of our time has gone up slightly....
    • Like x 1
  10. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

This thread gave me a headache..
  11. Harlequin Devoted Player

Thanks for posting this. I no longer feel like the old man in the crowd, even with this fake hip.

Regarding the female toon thing, my main is female and I've also experienced some ogling and blind invites in the past couple of days. Once or twice, I've been met with a barrage of "ur ****!" and other ruder language after telling them it's a guy holding the controller. Some people's kids...
    • Like x 3
  12. Avian Dedicated Player

A general observation from me is that if you get invited to a pug with whatever requirements they post you still won't necessarily get to do the isntance with them. No hesitation to replace someone with another person even if it's just 1 CR difference. This type of people are the ones I have been adding to my ignore list the most since Cross Play.
    • Like x 5
  13. Sbel Devoted Player

I've pretty much only played duos this week, but I did have one encounter with a probable PS player.

I did /wave at the end of the duo, as I am wont to do, and then as I flew to the exit, the other player responded in voice chat! and thanked me for the group!

It was shocking behavior.
    • Like x 9
  14. Greenchain Well-Known Player

Like the OP, I'm a 43yo male with a female toon but she wears the Steel suit so other than the name most would be hard pressed to identify her as female. Stupid?? Yup, but that don't make it less true. Do I also find myself whipping the camera around to ogle? Sorry but yes I am that guy. Then I remember that A. It's a video game and B. 50/50 chance its really a guy and C. this isn't a dating service.

As far as Crossplay, been mostly good. I'm on a PS4. I'd say I;m having less lag issues. Only done a few raids so far of Cross groups but generally the same and maybe a bit better. Had a PB run with a really bossy PC tank but knew what he was doing and willing to admit when he didn't.

Sadly the maturity level is generally lower on the PS side. Shout and instance chat is evidence of this. My League was founded and compromised mostly of high school kids and they were the exception to this. Unforunately, COD and some in game issues have left me rather stranded.
  15. Curtain Active Player

To the dudes with female toons getting creeped on... Just be glad you aren't an actual female. Some of the gross, horrifying screen shots a female league mate has sent me from the weirdoes... *shudders* As far as any experience with PC players... I have missed out. Or I ran with one and didn't know it. Don't matter to me none. Also to all PC villians... Avoid trade chat... It is a cesspool that just... It is bad.
    • Like x 4
  16. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I'm 6'4, I weigh 300 lbs., and I weightlift. Right now I also have about 40 lbs. of pizza and white zinfandel to deal with, but hey - spring is coming and I can do more entertaining cardio outside. I grow hair from places you don't want to picture people growing hair from. My point being : I am the dead opposite of feminine, so I play four matching 'vivacious green women', because NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND wants to spend all day flying around looking up Triple H's corn chute.

People hit on me all the time because of how my characters look, then call me epithets and threaten me when I tell them they're barking up the wrong tree, which I later laugh at because see above. It's like hitting on Chewbacca, then getting pissed off when he says no. Just call it a loss and move on.

I'm 36, I'm playing this in my spare time to have a break from work concerns, I'm not here looking for a girl/boyfriend, so when I see people that are it's just... sad.
    • Like x 6
  17. Thunderbolt Dedicated Player

Not totally true. I think the complaint comes with some PS players telling PC players that they need to play the game the PS way. Can't we all just have fun :)
    • Like x 1
  18. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

That's why I love my league. We couldn't care less about system or CR etc when pugging :)
    • Like x 9
  19. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

Last night was awesome I did a full PBR run with PC players and I was the only one ps haha
    • Like x 3
  20. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

It's a game after all not real life :)
    • Like x 1