A Fair Cash Wipe (Economy Fix)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Awsome, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

HELL NO. I made my money the legit way. I didn't take advantage of the glitchers, I made my cash the hard way before the glitch was even a thing. If you had more then 49 mil, or even 260 mil, you wouldn't suggest this crap.
    • Like x 2
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

It's hard to claim that everyone didn't benefit from it at some level. If you buy something from a pawn shop that had been stolen, you don't get to keep the item.

However, if there is too much currency floating around, prices will stay hyper-inflated. This could cause the equilibrium point of items to go over what you can list in the broker. This puts an artificial price cap on an item. The market may dictate that an item is worth more than the cap...now what? You have to resort to trading for it manually "black market" style. That also has a cap, so you have to trust the other seller to do multiple transactions. Since customer service doesn't settle trade disputes, this creates a LOT of scamming behavior. This is why countries monitor the supply of money floating around and don't just "print money". It devalues the currency of everyone and, as a result, makes everyone poorer. Over time, that will equalize, but in the interim...we're just in a bad situation. We're looking at ways to mitigate the damage overall.

AGAIN, I will reiterate, I'd much prefer some sort of cash sink method, but IF there is to be some sort of monetary adjustment, it should be on a progressive level.
    • Like x 1
  3. Charlieboy Well-Known Player

Up until 6 months ago I hovered around the 100m level, but as the prices rapidly rose on the broker for essential items, like Collection pieces, I turned to using 'real money' to buy TCs for items to sell. To be honest I felt forced to spend real money as the only way to keep up with the excessive prices and the increase in drop-rate rarity encouraged by Daybreak . Over the last 6 months I have spent a lot of that well earned real money, probably opening 20 TCs a day, and I now have around 5 billion split over 3 toons. Are you really going to wipe my in-game cash after I have forked out real money to get it fair and square? If so this will be the last straw for me playing this game in the future.
    • Like x 2
  4. XXHenro3XXx New Player

ok its been a long time since i have posted on here but this proposed cash wipe has upset me enough to make me go through hours to figure out and get all my info to post on here. I have played this game for over 3 and a half years and if all the time i spent on the broker and farming was added up im sure a third of that would be on the broker reason being the terrible drop rates of the time capsules. i wanted the stuff out of them and got tired of not being able to get the rare stuff reguardeless of how much money i spent opening capsules so instead of complaining about it i worked the broker, atleast 10 hours a week, ran multiple toons through seasonals to get stuff to sell, ran stuff on several toons to get stuff to sell and im sorry but it is not fair to take my money away, i think i have under 6 billion and i have never exploited any glitches, i have bought and sold THOUSANDS of items to get what i wanted and also used my money to help other players. I dont care how much money has been put in to the game from the glitches it still doesnt justify stealing from people like me. i didnt sell things for billions of dollars, sure i have sold a few high ticket items but that is nothing new, i have sold hundreds of materials and aurs that i got from paying real money to open time capsules and you are literaly talking about stealing it from me and giving me nothing for it and its not ok and by no means fair. Im sorry that most of the players dont have money like that but its not my fault they didnt play the broker game and wanted everything given to them. CAP THE BROKER, CAP TRADE, CAP THE MAIL, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT DONT STEAL MONEY FROM EVERYONE WHEN EVERYONE DID NOT CHEAT. i spend atleast alot of money on this game and if that happens it would be a miracle if i even spend the price for membership, you will force many of the players that spend real money on this game to quit and im sure the repercussions will be felt heavily. if there is going to be a cash wipe than it should be more reasonable than taking 75 percent of my amount, i have no idea in what world or what way anyone would think its fair that people like me has their money stolen from them, i am a well known player on the game and mostly liked. the only people that dont like me are the ones that are jerks,scammers,free loaders. A CASH WIPE IS NOT FAIR AND NOT NECESSARY, THE MONEY WILL DISSOLVE AND THINGS CAN GET BACK ON TRACK WITH JUST SOME TIME, SOONER OR LATER PEOPLE WILL SPEND THE MONEY THEY HAVE AND ATLEAST GET SOMETHING FOR IT BUT ITS NOT FAIR TO TAKE YEARS OF GRINDING THE BROKER AWAY FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE EARNED IT THE FAIR WAY AND ITS NOT FAIR TO SAY THAT THE THINGS WE HAVE SOLD WERE ALL BOUGHT WITH GLITCHED MONEY, IM SORRY BUT THAT IS IGNORANT BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BUYING AND SELLING ON THE BROKER, HIGH TICKET ITEMS FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE THE GLITCH OCCURRED, I MYSELF DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT ANY GLITCH UNTIL SOMEONE JUST TOLD ME. If there is to be a cash wipe than it has to be better than taking 75 percent of my money
  5. Mobius Twist Active Player

The massive influx of 'counterfeit' cash into the economy has devalued your currency. While this is due to no fault of your own, the only way to solve the issue of large amounts of devalued currency is to remove it from the system*. There are numerous ways to do this; all of them are going to be impactful, but none of them are a punishment (even though it feels that way).

Also, I believe that your unfair treatment came at the hands of those who introduced the 'counterfeit' currency into the economy, not at those who are left cleaning up the mess. It is easy to see them as the ones at fault, when in truth it was these players who already robbed your account of value.

I would also propose that an exponential reduction in the amount of cash on hand would also result in a similar (but not exact) exponential reduction in cost of goods. I would propose the trade value of your account is still similar after a cash reduction as it was before a cash reduction. There are just fewer 0s appended to the number exchanging hands. (Assuming that a reduction in currency is the chosen course of action as opposed to removing this form of currency entirely in favor of a new system of colored beads and pretty sea shells).

*There are a number of ways to remove devalued currency from a system. Cash sinks, 'taxes', and cash wipe are just some of the ways this can happen. The most important part is that the method try to be as fair as possible, establish a just 'new normal' for currency values, and establish a sustainable economy for the future. If not, we will be right back here in the future.
    • Like x 2
  6. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Unfortunately people would start bumping up broker prices almost immediately, further devaluing my currency (only now I would have less than before). So we would be right back where we are at some point in the not-too-distant future.
  7. Mobius Twist Active Player

As an interesting aside, let's take a look at some real world hyperinflation examples:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45523636

You will note that in each example the method to solve the hyperinflation was to introduce a new currency and economic reforms.
    • Like x 1
  8. Mobius Twist Active Player

I don't disagree, which is why a cash reduction is only part of the solution ( I allude to this in my post).

But please remember, it's not the amount of currency you have, it's the value of that currency. Also remember this is all speculation. We cannot legitimately criticize the solution until we see what is proposed.
    • Like x 1
  9. Awsome Well-Known Player

I am really sick of people saying this, because it is just flat out wrong.

No they wouldn’t. Well... they may try, but if all the bad money gets pulled out of the game, no one would buy at those prices, and the prices would naturally go way down.

The prices are literally only super-high right now because there is so much money in the game. Take out the bad money, the prices go down. It really is that simple.

To put it simply, if I put a collection on the market for 2M and no one has 2M to spend on it, it won’t sell. So the person just wasted the broker fee.
  10. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

I bet you're not as sick as I am of people crying for a cash wipe.
    • Like x 1
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It's not fair, so it cannot be explained how it is fair. I think everyone who has called for some sort of action freely admits that some people will get screwed, even themselves maybe, just as you should also be able to admit that while you and others may not have directly gltiched or bought glitched money from someone, you definitely have some if you've sold items for 2x or 3x the normal value in the last month or 2. From the sounds of it you have. There is no way to correctly identify the bad money, but unless you were gone for a long time up until a week ago when the broker/trade shut down, you have a 100% chance of holding some bad money as there was so much of it pumped in.

Hey, I would prefer it if all the counterfeit money could be ID'd and destroyed...then we'd just come in one day and you'd have lost somewhere between 0 dollars to all your money(depending on how much you took in over the last month or 2), but I don't think there is a way to tell the good money from bad. I know I made plenty before things went bad and slowed down my sales when I saw it going worse because at a point I figured there would be some action and I wanted to hold on to my hard goods vs piling up counterfeit money by selling everything I had. I'm sure I'd lose a bunch, but probably not more than 1/2.

Reinheld
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I feel for you that you spent money on TCs, but look at what you are saying A) you felt you needed to buy TCs to get items to sell to keep up with the hyper inflation....this is the effect of the saturation of the dirty money and spending RL cash to barely keep up is the problem an adjustment would attempt to correct. And B), you racked up 5 billion in the last few months when you had previously only amassed 100m (I'm guessing in a longer period of time)....the only reason you made 5 billion that fast is because people were printing the money you were getting, so you totally benefited from the glitching, although indirectly.

BTW, that 5 billion would be just enough to get you 1/3 or 1/4 a neon material at last prices before things were shut down. This is the issue with leaving the bad money in game...the only way to catch up is to keep buying TCs...hoping for billion dollar items or the 1 in 1000 thing you need or to BUY cash, which is against the TOC. What do you think will happen on the next TC when even the common items are 1 billion each? The Xmas collections were listed at 400m or more right before the broker shut down....and it will keep getting worse because some of the worst offenders have 100's of billions to keep scooping things up. Have fun trying to get things done with your paltry 5 billion.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  13. ZEROKILLEER Well-Known Player

if this was your bank account and you made the cash legally . and then your bank says sorry you cant be Bill Gates, then take your hard earned money away.. then yah i be mad...they know the people who did it,

14. Dene Devoted Player

The glitchers would fix it so they'd be ok..

like ObChill said.. they'd have to wipe our banks.. without telling us, they'd have to wipe money off deleted toons and mail.. they'd have to wipe mail, remove trading of money for good.. etc etc

Everyone going to $0.00 with advance notice would be pointless and only hurt the good guys
    • Like x 1
  15. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

I think any cash wipe, would cause so many people who earned their money to quit. I think it's better to do nothing and it is what it is. Good luck forming groups with a lower population. When people have invested their time and real money into the game it becomes emotional. I think money wipes is a good way to wipe out players.
    • Like x 2
  16. Dene Devoted Player

I agree

No matter, even it is the "best" intellectual solution, many will react badly and leave.. it is the whole "fix 1 issue create 3 more" thing

The threads now about fixing things will pale compared to the uproar of threads after a wipe or even an announcement of one
  17. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I just don't get why someone would rather have $5 billion in an economy where the average price of a material is $800M instead of having $1B in an economy where the average price of a material is $80M.

Do you people even understand what money is? it's a placeholder that represents a standardized value of goods. Money was invented because people in societies found it increasingly inconvenient to acquire something like a wagon from a man who wants two cows but you're a hunter, not a cow farmer, so you have to find a cow farmer with extra cows who needs animal pelts, etc, etc. The value of your money is tied to goods. It's only worth what it can buy.

Let's say you have $5 billion. What if you had to take a break from the game for a few months and when you came back a 99 stack of buff soders cost $2.5 billion, the enhanced chest style from the most recent TC cost $20 billion, he rarest drops for the latest OP gear cost between $400 billion and $600 billion. You all are telling me you'd be perfectly fine with that situation so long as you still had that same $5 billion from when you left???
    • Like x 3
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

If I lived in Japan and my bank account balance was one million (which was made legally), and then I inform my bank that I'm moving to the U.S. and I need to withdraw all my money so that I can use it in the U.S., they wouldn't give me a million, they'd give me roughly 9,250. But unlike these "don't take my money" people, I wouldn't be upset because I know that in the U.S., a burger dosn't cost 792 like it does in Japan, it costs 7. It wouldn't cost 5,400 to fill up my car's gas tank like it does in Japan, it costs 50. Money is only worth what it can buy.

THE ENTIRE POINT OF FIXING THE CONOMY, WHICH MAY INCLUDE SOME FORM OF A CASH WIPE, IS TO SEVERELY DRIVE DOWN PRICES. If you could afford to buy more things with your post-wipe balance than you could with your pre-wipe balance that's what you call a WIN.

Now I assume those who would b upset if any of their money is taken are thinking something like "of course I want the economy fixed and prices to go down but don't want to have to sacrifice any of my DCUO cash". My retort to that is "of course I want that pile of dog poop in my lawn gone but I don't want to have to go near it or smell it and by the way, I live in fantasy land where all my wishes magically come true".
    • Like x 1
  19. MrGainey Level 30

Just change it to a trading post instead of selling and restrict styles and other time capsule drops from being sold or traded

The fact your suggesting a tax only increases the idea of the items being sold pointless idea

just stick to collections and base items and denote everything else and cap the broker and make the money system that's being abused a lesser value to have then actually playing to earn it.

the fact your restricting new content now from being traded is ok but would like to be able to donate some of it to my league cause most of it is going in the trash
  20. Gro Level 30

How about.

Cap the broker at 200m.
    Cap Escrow at 200m.
    Convert all $ on anyones account over 2B to a special currency - Lets call it: Marks of Greed, 10m = 1 mark.
    Let people use these marks to buy open world feats (cost depending on *** level of the feat)
    Let people use these marks to buy any other vendor items (scaling with CR of the player for gear), TC collections (value based on rarity), Older TC styles and styles in general (value based on rarity) - all items purchased with these marks are account or character bound.

This lets people who have spent RL $ on TC's redeem the marks for TC items and collections, styles, gear, etc...
    Or, people who already have this stuff can pick up some feats that are a pain to get from old content.
    It caps the broker. Limits prices. Makes it harder for gold sellers. And, makes most people with a lot of $ happy without stealing from them.