A Chilly Guide to Everything Ice

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Radium, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DeathZakid Well-Known Player

Also, this is ice when it isn't leeching off of critical ability attack chance buff like wired, benediction or inspiration. I believe they can stack with ice bash, correct me if I'm wrong. I wish Ice bash gave a critical ability chance instead of weapon chance...
  2. Deity Supremacy Well-Known Player

I'll have to try and get a HB. Atm only have brawl and dw
  3. Agnetta Dedicated Player

How are you modded?

Also, do you use avalanche at all? Have you tried using reflect instead?
  4. DeathZakid Well-Known Player

I'm modded straight might in all reds except my back which has a pre & might mod in it. I might change it though. Might & heallth/power for the rest. Max damage in hands and core strength in chest. I do use avalanche occasionally. It's the main move i use for zoom in hh though or if i'm pushed back from ares. I don't really have space for reflect and it's not really needed. You need 4 chill effects (or inflict frostbite) to get the pi damage. Even with reflect in my loadout, I'd only get 3/4 chill effects in 1 rotation, if you get what I'm saying. I'd still have to do another rotation to get 4. I usually start off my chill effects before I fight so when i do start, i'll be at the max chill effects needed.
    • Like x 1
  5. cosmic war New Player

You should swap out Avalanche for Robot Sidekick and only swap between Avalanche or gust for different bosses.
  6. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

With the changes to CR scaling and fixes to Max Damage, if someone could revisit the Max Damage versus Ice Armor testing to see where we stand, that would be great. If I recall, on the face of it, the constant 10% modifier was always going to be higher, but with all the changes from sparring targets, to stat flattening, to max damage, I just can't tell anymore what's going to work well and what isn't.
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

The changes to Max Damage did seem to have an effect:

Rotation
    1. Wintry Tempest clipped with Cold Snap clipped with Ice Bash
    2. Arctic Gust
    3. Arctic Gust
    4. Arctic Gust
    5. Arctic Gust
    6. Repeat 1-5
    Single 126 Sparring Target
    Empowered Channeling...3,431.44 DPS
    Max Damage....................3,824.96 DPS

Eight 126 Sparring Targets
    Empowered Channeling...6,989.41 DPS
    MaxDamage.....................7,531.76 DPS

Stats
    Combat Rating....115
    Might.................9291
    Escalating Might V Neck Mod

8. Absolix Loyal Player

I don't believe anything about the stat flattening has changed max damage versus Ice Armor. 60 is still higher than 50, and max damage doesn't need 5 chill effects so it sets up faster.

Nothing about max damage got changed. There was initially a bug with max damage that got fixed, but max damage still works the same as it did pre-GU47.
  9. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Chill effects have their own thing with the AM ... how about a WM rotation? Wait, you're showing lower damage without MaxDamage same as before anyway.
    • Like x 1
  10. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

There were two bugs to max damage that were fixed. Prior to those fixes, I was finding the chill effects with ice armor to be superior to using max damage on my character. Other people reported differently, likely because we were experiencing different behavior due to the bugs. If you read the hotfix about Max Damage and then also read the most recent update notes about Max Damage, you will see two different bugs fixed in the past week or so.

*Not sure if the above were actually the same bug upon re-reading. The fixes may have merely been phrased differently. Regardless, I do see a change since the above fix(es).
  11. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Wintry Tempest still overwrites, right? I asked because of LFG groups that ask to pst power, but then put multiple ice in a group. That and one dufus that insisted they don't overwrite, and also thought that my "snowballs" (IBS, really) were somehow making the group have less damage when there were four ice dps, an ice tank using WT, and I was the only one using a WM loadout.
    • Like x 1
  12. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I'm normally against blaming tanks, but by all means, blame that one. Wintry Tempest overwrites. Hopefully that will be fixed soon with the new technology they are developing to allow powers to coexist without overwriting damage/healing/controlling/etc.
  13. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I'm with cosmic on test thread they need to increase the range on artic gust just a tiny bit
  14. Xibo Loyal Player

29040/s
    28483/s
    Wintry Tempest
    Cold Snap
    Ice Bash
    Arctic Gust

PC test: Tested on League Hall 3 sparring targets in the left side. No trinket and soda used. CR 126 158 SP. Only Melee damage tested. Ice is ok for me.
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I love the fact wintry tempest can now be apart of the Power restore. that was the really the problem with ice from the get go, when using the am is the fact Wintry and bitter winds costed power to use and were part of the ams, but after gu 49.. it won't be. The only thing I'd wish for is blizzard to be useful. 3k crits after building it up when artic gust hits for around the same is Not justifiable imo.
  16. Xibo Loyal Player

17. The Anxient Loyal Player

Been working on an ice tank alt and am curious how you guys spec your mods. I've got around 166 Sp. Been speccing into dom, crit healing chance/magnitude, resto, health, and defense. I've been going to the bottom of every tree I can instead of getting crits out of all the trees first, like I do for trolling or dps. Mods are dom/health, dom/resto, and dom/might. Open to any and all suggestions
  18. Deity Supremacy Well-Known Player

Dom resto isn't a plan. I say go Dom/health, health/resto, health/prec
  19. Miike Fury Well-Known Player

what is a good PvP loadout and rotation for ice DPS?
  20. The Anxient Loyal Player

With wintry tempest being added to the power regen do I need to cast it after cold snap now? Right now I clip wt, cs, and ice bash then spam artic gust or avalanche. I just carry hibernate in the other slot as an Oh crap button