6 minute deserter penalty.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheMikeB, Apr 11, 2024.

1. TheMikeB Active Player

Got hit with a 6 minute deserter penalty for queuing CTR and getting in a 92 minute run still at second boss.
  2. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I thought all deserter penalties were 1 minute? Maybe check your system time to make sure it's synced correctly?
  3. iLazy Well-Known Player

It's just visual. Idk how it's happens but if you Relog it's "fixed". Had a mate with 60mins+ penalty - relog - gone.
  4. Korlick Loyal Player

This was something else than that visual bug.
    A league mate had this happen to him and relog did not fix it.

Also, whrn that visual bug happens you can still Q and get into content, regardless of tje timer. This time it was not the same. Had to wait for the timer to end
  5. the solowing Unwavering Player

Did you try to do the boss, or did you zone in and immediately leave? If so you deserved it.
    • Like x 1
  6. Grim931 Committed Player

There's more context needed than just that. It's highly likely that it wouldn't have even been possible had this person tried the boss with the group setup the person was thrown into... and expecting one person to have the responsibility to carry a run like this is completely asinine.

If they're playing a support role only, and there's already another support role of the same type in that run (who cannot run damage for the sake of the example), why would they bother trying? It makes little to no sense for that person to stick around. It's better to leave in this instance, especially if support was all that character had to offer, and let them get a role that they need that would actually help.

There's always the "Excuse from Instance" option as well, but some players won't vote to let you leave for whatever reason. If he tried that, and they weren't letting him go, then he doesn't deserve the penalty either.

Either way, the run was a failure that was kept alive for whatever reason. Makes no sense to punish someone unlucky enough to be thrown in a run like that with no clue as to what or why it went south. If anything, I think they should have a grace period at the start of the instance. Walk into a train wreck and leave within 15-30 seconds? No penalty.
    • Like x 2
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Interesting you bring the above up. I ran into the reverse case last night in an Omnibus random queue run on an alt while trying to farm some marks for league prestige. We lost our tank (and yes, it was the person who actually queued as a tank), and I was on my rage character who only really had a damage setup at the time and is usually just a mule alt. Another player invited a damage player to the instance. We barely passed the first boss, and I was top damage despite not having any of my tactical mods, having less than 100 skill points, etc.

Someone in chat says we need a tank, so I asked "Why did we invite another damage player when we lost our tank?" The response I received from the player who invited the damage player was, "Because we already had a tank power in the group who decided not to switch and whine instead," or something to that effect. I switched to tank role in damage gear and using damage artifacts/etc., and we completed the instance, but it seems to me that the other damage player wasn't optimally performing their role given I was out-damaging them with a very weak character, and it should not have been up to me to switch roles to appease two people's whims.
  8. Grim931 Committed Player

Yeah I have no patience for these types of people. Never assume, at least ask before making a dumb decision like that... all it needed was a simple "hey, do you have a tank loadout *insert rage character name here*?"

Were they randoms doing this? It's kind of crazy how often this type of thing happens, and then you have people like the above that think you should be punished for it... it's not promoting the environment they think it is by forcing people to play with people like that.
    • Like x 1
  9. Ryll Committed Player

If you queued as both that's on you.

If you only queued as dps that's on them for assuming you would switch.

Also, until someone else pays for my sub...they don't get to dictate my role.

Simple as that.
    • Like x 1
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Screw that. If you pop into a already 92 min run at 2nd boss you'd be a fool to stay there. That group had obviously tried...and failed...multiple times. If they want a hero to come save their sorry run, they should be in LFG or league chat trying to find fillers, not opening the run to randoms who would probably want a full run...and not want to be stuck with the worst players in the game.

For the record, on the off chance I do ever land in a run like this (like meaning I'm in the run from the start and it's not going well....not I came in midway), I will repeatedly say NOT to open the run because of this issue. I'd rather spend 10+ min looking in LFG for a filler than have constant re-open/exit/wait/fail rotations as people keep opening it to trap some poor sucker just queuing in.

I'd also take a 6 min penalty if that were a thing they were doing...
    • Like x 2
  11. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I never queue for roles I am uncomfortable filling on a given character. I queued purely as damage, and I double checked since the game sometimes likes to change the default settings between logging in/out or switching characters. As I said, I knew the tank who left was the person designated as the tank by the queue system. It was the person who invited another player who clearly couldn't even play as a tank (probably a healer/controller power) who changed the layout of the roles.

How do I know the person couldn't play as a tank? Because there was no tank icon below their damage icon in the raid. Most people don't notice, but you can tell who was originally supposed to be tank/healer/controller by looking for the faded icon under their damage icon if they are in damage stance. You may have already known, but I'm providing that tip for others who may not.
    • Like x 1
  12. Ryll Committed Player

Yea, I wasn't saying its directly you, you just didn't mention what roles you queued up as. Its more of rule of thumb I follow. I am familiar with the displaying of the roles queued for, use it all the time to kick people who queued as both and end up blocking a role from joining when they can only play as a dps.

I would have told them to go **** a hat for the expectation of you to tank when you didn't queue for it.
    • Like x 1
  13. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I've only once had someone ask me if could play a support (I don't remember if it was heal or troll), and I told them I didn't have a loadout for that role (I was on one of my alts, and was queued only as damage). Surprisingly, they just said "oh okay" and didn't make a whole deal of it. I don't mind if people ask, as long as they ask. I mean, sometimes I queue only as DPS even on my mains, just because I don't feel like being responsible for the group not wiping, but since I have armories for them and can maintain both support and DPS builds, if someone asks nicely I'll probably switch, because we need the role. But maybe not, if there's someone else in the group who can do it. Definitely not, if someone else in the group queued for it and isn't doing it.

Honestly, it's much more common for me to be queued only as my support role and have someone ask me to DPS, usually when we don't need more than one of the role (sometimes its because there are two or more of us queued for that role).

Still, if I'm queued only as a particular role, and I'm told I need to switch, I'll tell that person to pound sand. Okay, I'll probably just say "no" or "can't," but I'll be thinking something less polite.
    • Like x 1
  14. Ryll Committed Player

Yea, asking is one thing. Just assuming is another story.

I queue as both sometimes, other times just as dps. Premade groups I will queue as both roles for sure. If I am farming drops I will hop onto my tank since it has probably the shortest wait times for me.

I definitely don't feel any guilt for kicking someone who queued as both only for the faster queue time but only is capable or only will dps.
    • Like x 2
  15. TheMikeB Active Player

No I didn't try to do the boss. What sense does that make? They have already been at it for an hour and a half and the top 3 dps on the card were no longer in the run. They had been replaced with no white mod Having dps.
    • Like x 1
  16. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Committed Player

Back on the topic of 8 minutes deserters times. its did it to me twice. Was running silent school and the justice alerts and I left right after we beat the boss and everyone was saying I got a 8 minutes deserter for it because I didn't watch the cut scenes at the end. You know the ones that should be able to be turned off after your first time seeing them. It happened on more then one time through. I hope it's a glitch because ffxiv has a 30 minute penalty and I generally just turn off the game if it happens. If you played the game you know aerum vale can cause anyone to walk out after seeing 3 sprouts.
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You can catch one pretty easy in Necro or any run where there's a final cog to press if you warp out before it's pressed. Operations are pretty easy too as you can triangle out from the scorecard. I've had it happen a few times in CT by jumping the gun. Guess my team couldn't make it through that final cutscene without my support.

But Solowing and others would be fine with that (or a disconnect, or game crash or accidental 'warp base' where you meant 'warp rally') sidelining you for an hour, just so they can keep opening and re-opening a bad Omni run that's run 90 min+
  18. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

If I recall correctly, the penalty used to be 10 minutes. It was reduced to 1 minute when Spytle pushed for the kick penalty that we now have. The logic was that if players were unhappy with a group, leave instead of kicking.
  19. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

20. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

had one last week during Starro runs..some ppl kept leaving since location wasn't one they needed a boss on, I followed suit..6 mins. Sorry DCUO, logged off due to that.