5½ Years, Dozens of Styles, & Still None Based on This Character...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jack T. Chance, Aug 11, 2016.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Hey, i never said she didn't look like her. I'm just saying that Liefeld and all the other artists of that time kind of copied each other as well as bounce around from DC to Marvel. As well as Wildstorm and Image in the 90s.

Boomer was created in 1985 by Al Milgrom. Vigilante II was created in 1992 by George Perez. Both artists bounced around comic companies, but George had a lot more characters under his belt.

Anyways. Marvel has copied more DC characters than DC has of Marvel.

In case you are wondering, Blue Beetle can be considered a copy of Spiderman. In a round about way. Steve Ditko created both of them. Steve left Marvel because he couldn't stomach them stealing his works, like they did. So he joined Charlton comics and created several characters. Including Blue Beetle II. Charlton comics went out of buisiness and DC snatched them up. lol
    • Like x 2
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

just to interject...whos to say which characters are good and which aren't? its all subjective. characters can be "popular" or "obscure" or "new" and so on...but "good"? Major Bummer was an outstanding character with a great series that got cancelled after about a year and a half. anyone ever heard of him? great character. Some of the more obscure characters in the dcu are my faves. Lilith, G;nark and the rest of the "c list" titans (bumblebee, mal duncan, hawk and dove), monstergirl, kent shakespeare.

matter eater lad was universally considered on of the lamest characters ever yet in the Legions 5 year gap hes actually one of the most powerful characters in the series just based on how well he was written.

All it takes is a couple of well placed panels and someones "bad" character is someone elses favorite for life.

y'know? Vigilante isn't one of my favorite characters but if the op likes he can dedicate a shrine to the character.

I'm all for seeing more heroes and villains in the game.
    • Like x 1
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

uh...wasnt the first blue beetle a golden age character that was later bought by charlton and then revamped into the ted kord version and then bought by dc?
  4. BumblingB I got better.

You are correct. Dan Garret was a Golden Age hero from Fox Comics.
    I'm talking about the revamped one, Ted Kord. The original Blue Beetle's design overall was different than Spiderman. If you compare Ted Kord and Peter Parker, you'd notice quite a few similarities. Including lines on the costume as well as hairstyles and what not. Since it was the same creator.

This goes in the trail of conversation of Vigilante II being a copy of Boomer.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Someone just the other day mentioned MEL as being the lamest Legionnaire (personally feel Bouncing Boy holds that lamestinction {lame+distinction} and defended MEL) in "Grrl Power" :D

It's not really a case of who created whom first, but who did a better job with the character, and, most of the time, that distinction goes to... Marvel! When you compare the 'clones', the Marvel versions have been done better
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Didn't actually say VigII was a copy of Boomer, just that that was who she reminded me (which, as was pointed out, as probably due to them both drawn by the same artist or artists with a similar style)
  7. BumblingB I got better.

As entertaining and probably a bigger money maker Deadpool is, I still think Deathstroke is a much better designed character overall. :p
    Well, they don't have to have the same powers to be a copy. But at the time of both their creation, the big shoulder pads were in and the hairstyles too. Big guns. Very colorful explosions. Etc. Vigilante II is probably not copy of Boomer's design. Most likely George Perez was influenced by the time period. But if one put them side by side, it'd be hard to not say one was a copy.
    • Like x 1
  8. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

no doubt. behind the scenes stuff totally fascinates me. even spiderman wasn't as original as marvel would like us to believe himself inspired by batman and the tarantula (a pulp anti hero lee liked).
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh sure, D.Stroke is a better designed character, but The Pool Fool was just portrayed better

Again, it was simply me being more familiar with Boomer's look (makes me sound like more of moron than usual now :()
    • Like x 1
  10. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Static black are ingame
  11. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

The game needs more MP items that have styles we want.

Proper outfits from our favorite heroes and villains period. I mean charge 750 MP to buy a full outfit of your favorite hero or villain. The outfit color cannot be changed but the outfit has various pieces such as head, chest, hands, etc..

This way if a player wants he can mix and match it up as he or she see fit and some outfits would be gender specific - such as WW.

Now if the devs did this and just start creating this and adding it to the game they would definitely rake in some money. To bad they have haven't added this stuff yet as time goes on it is lost revenue for DBG.
  12. Balton hero Committed Player

Obviously there's an element of individual preference, and not saying there aren't many many minor characters who are good, but the criteria I was using was what I believe majority opinion to be, since going by popularity or how well-known they are is the only way I see to match the most definitions of "good" that can be matched.
  13. Balton hero Committed Player

Didn't know that. Where?

Edit: NM, looked it up. That's what I get for not playing villain side yet. Missed out on Wildcat too(twice) but don't particularly want to knock out my favorite dc hero.
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Villain CC bounties.
    • Like x 1
  15. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

I'll put in another vote for Liefeld rip off on the shoulder pads girl. I mean, it's not even subtle. They were probably trying to send Liefeld a message to stop ripping off their crap.

Edit: If they did it after Deadpool, it is probably a message about the Deathstroke ripoff.
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You get an A- for effort...but a big fat D+ on the challenge overall.

Lobo- Fantastic, a lot of people have wanted that look, including me.
    Blue Beetle- Ted Kord &/or Jaime Reyes...nuff said.
    Amazo- Adaptive Android is based off of him (Villain PvP style which can be acquired via Lockbox for heroes), so another set based on this character can definitely wait.
    Metamorpho- People have asked for this in many threads, including this one...but meh.
    Static Shock- We already have an iconic style based on him, the Electrostatic T7 set.
    Anarky- Ok...that's a definite winner there.
    Anti-monitor- That might be a long ways off if they decide to create a story arc with him in it. So no for now.
    Animal man- Eh...maybe.
    Merlyn- Cool looking character...but kind of basic, even more than Vigilante.
    Shado- That could work...seems very similar to a style that was around during Beta.
    Onomatopoeia- The only thing cool about his look is that mask. The trenchcoat is as basic as it gets.
    Black Lightning- The character generator style is pretty close to being based on him, and we already have Livewire inspired (Shock Jock T7 set) which dropped not too long ago.

Any Watchmen characters-You never specified any particular character to base a style on, and they just became part of DC proper. Doubt we'll see anything involving them in this game for some time to come.
    Any Vertigo characters- Why so vague? Which Vertigo character(s)? A lot of them are on the basic side (Constantine wears a trenchcoat with a tie...we have that already).
    Any of the JSA- Which version, whcih character(s)?
    Any of the old Image characters- They're barely part of DC proper, and don't look to be featured in any upcoming episodes.
    Any of the old Milestone characters- We already have the Static style as mentioned above...the only other one that looks like a good candidate would be Hardware.
  17. Balton hero Committed Player

Oh, come on.....4 out of 5 is more than a d+.
    • Like x 1
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

And get Nathan Fillion to voice him again.
    • Like x 1
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Lost me RIGHT there...without the ability to change colors, you've outright limited the usefulness of the styles. Mixing is possible but no matching. Terrible, TERRIBLE suggestion.
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Ok..ok...B-/C+....
    • Like x 1