2020 Name Reclaim

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FiremanMac85, Aug 4, 2020.

1. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Hey everyone, I was wondering if we could start petitioning for another name reclaim event. Its been five years since the first one, and I think that we are due for another. There are tons of great names that are being held up by players who have long since moved on from the game and even worse are characters lower than 100cr.

If you think this is a good idea, lets try and bring this attention to the dev team so that we can have fresh and original names in the game again!

Thanks!
    • Like x 4
  2. Trexlight Devoted Player

1. Petitions are against the TOS.
    2. Not gonna happen unless there's a server merger.
    • Like x 5
  3. SekretVillain Loyal Player

4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The cards say 'No'.
    • Like x 4
  5. myandria Item Storage

Well.. let's ask the almighty Magic 8 Ball...

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Brit Loyal Player

Petitions are against the Terms of Service for the forums.

However, requests are not. So threads like this are excellent. It is good for the Development Team to realize the huge amount of interest there is in this, how much money they stand to make from it, how it doesn't actually negatively affect any of their current players, and how it is successfully implemented in other MMOs that are more financially successful than DCUO has been.

There will always be naysayers to any request; don't let them discourage you. There are a lot of other players who want this, as evidenced by the fact we see a new thread on the topic basically every week.
    • Like x 3
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

"no" -

- everyone
    • Like x 2
  8. gruntsmith Level 30

It sucks seeing the name I want sitting at level 3 with 1 skill point and watching all the "want to sell name" posts in trade chat. I'd love a name reclaim
    • Like x 2
  9. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I'm not opposed to a name reclaim. It should be done every couple of years at a minimum imo.
    • Like x 6
  10. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Curious why people say no. Like it affects them in any way. Sometimes I feel like people just wanna voice theirselves just to be known regardless of the situation.
    • Like x 2
  11. Schimaera Devoted Player

There are different approaches/assumptions, that lead to a "no":

- in the last reclaim, some ppl got their wanted name, many more just saved OG names to sell them, in some cases even the latter ones were faster than the prior ones, leaving the ppl who wanted a specific name still without it.
    - it is almost assured that active accounts would be excluded from a reclaim, meaning most ppl who have names to sell won't be affected anyways, no matter whether the name in question is a lvl 1 toon wtih 1 sp or not
    - if I would have an account wtih saved names that hasn't been active for a long time, I would just log into it before the reclaim happens (they would announce it in advance)

Also, my guess is that most of the no-sayers (me included) just think that a reclaim wouldn't really affect a noticable number of players in a positive way.
    • Like x 3
  12. Brit Loyal Player

While I see those issues, it really just boils down to two things.

Without a name purge, the name is trapped on an inactive character. NOBODY gets to use it.

With a name purge, maybe you get the name you want. Maybe you don't. Maybe it gets freed up. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe somebody else gets it first. Maybe somebody claims it just to try and sell it. Maybe somebody buys it, so the seller gets rich and the buyer gets the name they wanted. There are a whole lot of maybes.

There is only one thing that is certain. It DOESN'T keep sitting on an inactive character forever.

"Maybe helps someone" is always going to be better than "definitely helps no one".

It's the same reason why some people never have the courage to ask out a girl/boy they like. They accept defeat without trying, because they refuse to believe anything better than the worst case scenario could ever happen.
    • Like x 3
  13. Schimaera Devoted Player

In general, I agree with your last sentiment. However, since this requires preparation, resources and time, it is always a company's question how worth it is to themselves and the overall playerbase. If they come to the conclusion, that it wouldn't benefit many/enough ppl and it would require too many resources (from their point of view), they won't do it.
    • Like x 1
  14. Magician Dedicated Player

Sure, why not?

• Like x 3
  15. Brit Loyal Player

That makes sense for something like the requests for PvP fixes.

For the Name Purge, however, it has already been coded and successfully implemented, and it worked perfectly. Every account which had been inactive for 18 months or longer had their names purged and returned to the system. That is the function of the mechanics. No names of active players were accidently purged as well. Nobody playing the game was negatively impacted in any way. The only complaints that existed had to do with player behavior, rather than the actual mechanics. From a mechanics standpoint, it worked perfectly, successfully purging the names that needed to be purged.

That's the thing about events. The work is all frontloaded. Bonus Catalysts Week, or Bonus Stabilizer Week, or Bonus Source Marks does not require being re-programmed from scratch every time they want to run it. It's really just toggling it from Off to On. The Name Purge Event is already programmed and ready. It's not like a Seasonal where it needs new work done to include new items. It literally just needs flipped back on, to run exactly the same way it did last time.

All the resources, the developer time and whatnot, is already done. It actually makes less sense to not use it, since it's already done and just by flipping it on again, they guaruntee the sale of several Name Change Tokens. It's monetizing existing content with no additional work required. And it does not negatively impact anyone playing the game.

It's strictly either a benefit for players, or has no effect on them at all. And for the developers, it takes no additional coding or work, but it makes them free money.

It's pretty much a case of everyone wins.
    • Like x 3
  16. Scotty Well-Known Player

Or why can't someone just get creative and come up with a name rather than try to take someone else's???

If there was another reclaim, and I log on to see my character's name gone or changed, I'd be more than a little irate. That's why people want this so badly. They can't think of a name themselves so they have to have someone else's. Once again I point everyone who can't come up with a name themselves to go to fantasynamegenerators.com

You will find a name there. Just visit the Pop Culture section. My character's name is original and NO ONE is going to get it!!!!

Go to fantasy generators:)
    • Like x 3
  17. Brit Loyal Player

First, the Name Purge only effects accounts that have been inactive for 18 months or longer. So if you log in, you will not see name has been lost. Because, you know, you actually log in.

No active player will lose anything.

As for "being creative", there is a fixed number of characters, and a fixed number of options for each of those characters. That means there is a fixed number of names possible in the naming pool.

If you never re-fill your swimming pool, it will eventually dry out. And long before it dries out completely, it will become too shallow to be properly useful.

If you never re-fill your name pool, it will eventually dry out. And long before it dries out completely, it will become too shallow to be properly useful.

Using 0's for O's and 4's for A's, and putting XXX around your name until half the server looks like they must be adult film stars, or writing your name in a foreign language that you don't even understand, those are options. But the longer the game goes on, the more names get taken. Every time a new player joins, makes a few characters, and then quits, those names disappear forever.

Name purges are a form of spring cleaning. It is game maintenance. When new players have to spend 15 minutes trying names, before going to someone online webpage to randomize a name that they don't even really like, there are going to be many new players who have a bad experience before they ever start the game. That is not how you retain players. Then logging in and seeing that thousands of other players also have the stupid XXXX0rigin41n4m3XXXXX garbage that you were forced to do, which makes the game look cheap and tacky.

The most successful MMO of all time, World of Warcraft, has regular Name Purges as a regular part of game maintenance. Because for a game to be profittable, it needs to treat it's CURRENT customers as more important than the ones who left years ago with no sign of coming back. The CURRENT customers are the ones who support the game and keep the lights on. It's just simple business sense.

Restaurants clean their tables and re-use them after you leave. Businesses allow someone else to use your parking spot after you leave. When a player quits, and they do not come back for a long time (DCUO set it's name purge timer at 18 months for the last Name Purge), then they don't need to squat on those names and keep them from people who would actually use them.
    • Like x 4
  18. Magician Dedicated Player

To be fair, the last name purge, I did snag me a couple of names that I was after. I find no harm in giving people the opportunity to attempt to obtain a name.
    • Like x 5
  19. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I'd also like to see this. OP has my support.

Someone took my character's name in the last merge and I'd like it back. No reason why this shouldn't happen and it should be done relatively regularly considering it's the only method for managing names that the game has at the moment.
    • Like x 5
  20. Magician Dedicated Player

Hope it wasn't me!