2014 PC Legendary Membership Benefits Update - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RadarX, Jan 2, 2014.

1. BigGreenBudz New Player

OK, honestly im confused... i could understand a change from giving us station cash to giving us some other type of currency, but if i continue paying for legendary, and dont sign in for a month, i dont get my station cash, and this change HAD to be made. Why did it have to be made? Why is it so difficult for you guys to give me everything i pay for?

If im not set to auto-renew my subscription, you dont give me everything i paid for... If you charge me for legendary when i forgot to cancel it and dont sign in for a month, you dont give me everything i paid for... To be honest the ONLY reason i see for a business model like this is to squeeze every last dollar out of the consumer, add in the fact that your going to charge me $6 (formerly $8) just to be able to use the armory feature, and its making me question whether i want to continue with DCUO or just play League of Legends and World of Tanks until Elder Scrolls Online or Star Citizen come out.

Personally, if i ran a business and someone was paying me monthly for a service they werent using, i wouldnt punish them by taking away the ONLY thing they gained from paying me. Although. i guess having a fair business model that doesnt screw the consumers doesnt make as much money, does it? Oh well, it gives me more incentive to make sure i cancel my membership before taking a break from the game, and will save me money in the long run, Ive added a calendar entry to go off every month 2 days before my subscriptions up so i can re-evaluate whether to renew or not. If me getting $5 worth of SC (and not logging in DCUO) for $15 is a huge problem for your company, how do you cope with selling $10 worth of SC for $10. All i see when i read this post is flawed logic.

"The only way you can have what you paid us for is if you waste some of our server bandwidth and processing power for a minute, if you waste both of those, THEN it becomes affordable for us to give you this fake virtual currency we invented that can only be used to buy fake virtual items"
    • Like x 2
  2. Gman2071 New Player

Time will tell , if this Works out ok . o_O.......then theres more Change .

there is a Old saying : ' Why Fix something , when it Does not need to be Fixed ? ' ;)
  3. Gman2071 New Player

When the Xmass event was on , i saved up me re-play badges , and used them ......So ....you can stilll Stack up what you get every month ....o_O
  4. Kaladin Well-Known Player

I put things together with the new Armories announcement. Legendary members will now only be getting Loyalty points with our memberships, however the Armories will only be purchaseable with Station Cash. So basically we will have to spend more money and buy station cash on top of our memberships to afford extra armories. Anyone else seeing this as monumentally stupid?
  5. Sore Steadfast Player

Yes, because Mepps already confirmed armories can be purchased with loyalty points.
  6. senselocke New Player

Okay, I'm going to ask you since I asked customer support and was handed a big fat "no".

I bought 6000 SC to buy a yearly sub, just before things were changed so I couldn't buy subs with SC. My PC went down, and by the time I got if fixed, the change had happened.

Which left me with 6000 SC to spend, and nothing to spend it on (I already have vanity items I wanted, and most account upgrades).

Now, you guys finally allowed something better than the (truly pathetic) Escrow, in the weekly uncapping (and yet, still not a money cap increase (this is the first thing I bought in Star Trek Online, and because it was offered, I subscribed there)), and I can no longer buy DLCs with my 6000 SC.

Meaning... I'm just left holding "currency" that isn't worth anything if I can't play, I can't play because of the launch money cap which hasn't changed even whilst demands for that money have increased exponentially, I can't buy DLC with that money, and even if I could, I'd still have to spend it on weekly Escrow. Solution, of course: Subscribe! Which I can't do with that money.

So I put in $110 in total into your game, and I literally cannot play unless I shell out more, and I can't spend it on anything I could get full use out of.

.....can I have a refund please? That way, at least I'm on even footing, and don't feel like you guys are holding a bunch of my money and not letting me use it.
    • Like x 1
  7. Kaladin Well-Known Player

Ok, it wasnt mepps that stated it, but I do see it in todays update on them. Honestly if that had not been available I know a number of people that would have been irrated and felt there money not well spent.
  8. Madholm New Player

So basically lifetime subscribers are getting the shaft now and are no longer getting the DLC for free as initially promised? Perhaps I'm just confused on this point since it wasn't clear that they would remain part of the 'legendary' benefits.

My biggest complaint is that we can't just log in every few months to see if you've made any actual improvements to the game. We have to log in each month to 'claim' our benefits. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you take my money up front for future service when I paid for lifetime membership? Taking away my benefits if I choose not to log into the game is a breach of said contract and I will be expecting a refund of cash equivalent for each month I am 'cheated' out of the benefits I paid for.
  9. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I don't understand how people are getting this from what has been said. You still get DLC packs for free, the same as always.
  10. Gwalir Loyal Player

Lifetime, and all Legendary, subscribers will continue to get full access to the DLCs. That hasn't changed.

Also, when lifetime was offered, the free Station Cash allowance wasn't a perk of the subscription. It wasn't added until later, I think around August of that year.
    • Like x 1
  11. igounfazed New Player

It seems as if your response deals with 'uncaring', and a lack of care is not a reason for or against support.

I've used this example before, but see that it can be used to address your statement as well: You are hungry, and so you order a pizza over the phone, extra cheese and peperoni. After 45 minutes, a knock on your door comes, hands you the pizza you've waited for and paid for with credit card via the phone, -you probably tip- and at some point open your box to eat.

When you open the box: There are no peperoni.

By your statement I gather you also go "Boo-Hoo" and eat what was received?

I would wager you wouldn't. You would find reasons to support whatever feeling arose from you receiving less than you paid for.

*Maybe, in my analogy: Even though you paid for peperoni, you have to go pick it up from the pizza shop?
  12. igounfazed New Player

Part of the benefits to Legendary is no mandate to log in for the VIRTUAL 500.

You've stated that will no longer be the case several times. If that is now "in flux at the moment", it should be taken to great consideration how mandating anyone to log in can affect both players (customers), and providers (DCUO / SOE employees).

If benefits for having paid can be changed at will, how does your company address refunding customers that do not agree with the changes and have already paid?

Cellular companies, as well as cable companies - and others, provide non-accepting customers a refund - likely prorated - along with the opportunity to cancel at the change of terms.

Will any of that be addressed with these changes?

In my honest opinion: You lose nothing providing the "Game Specific" monthly VIRTUAL currency to a paying customer that does not log in within a month of already paid for service.

I would think, from a business point of view, that providing incentives for longer paying subscriptions would be a key consideration when making changes of this nature. Why pay for 3, 6, 12, etc. months of subscription, when there is little distinction between those that are free to play with those that pay solely for the 'added' membership features, ie. a virtual monetary 500__.
  13. BigAl Devoted Player

I guess it depends on whether you got that pepperoni for FREE for ordering the pizza. No one pays the sub only because they are getting the free SC. That's a perk. If that's the only reason you sub, well, then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
  14. igounfazed New Player

Some members paid for more than a single month of game time. They did so under the impression the stated 'extras' were not 'extras', but a part of the recurring membership that was paid for.

Notice within this mash-up photo:
    [IMG]

That none of images state something similar to: Even if you pay, you must log in to receive all that is shown here.

It also doesn't state that any of it is "free stuff", as it is only provided for membership, and to hold a membership you are required to pay for membership. Therefor: those members have paid for everything noted within the mash-up photo. Penalizing them for not logging into the game after having paid, places them within the ranks of those that do not pay for a subscription, and therefor get nothing within the mash-up photo.

In essence, your 5 year old can't be equated here, as you pay for your 5 year old's stuff, so to the 5 year old: everything is 'free'; whereas those that paid for membership did so for game access AND the above in-game promises. If anything, the distinction would be: You've purchased something for your 5 year old, and instead of your 5 year old getting what you paid for: they are giving your 5 year old less, cheating both the 5 year old, and yourself.
    • Like x 1
  15. igounfazed New Player

No where in my analogy does it state the peperoni was free, and I don't see where you get that from.
  16. BigAl Devoted Player

SMH
    I am aware you didn't say that. I was using YOUR analogy about pepperoni pizza. The pizza being your SUB, the pepperoni being the PERK.
    That being said, the perks received are FREE with sub. They added those a while back to entice players to go Legendary. They are PERKS you get FREE for subbing.

And as far as my 5 year old goes, I was referring to how when he gets something, he still wants more. He's a tad greedy at times, as are ALL CHILDREN.
  17. igounfazed New Player

I've highlighted and underlined the sections within your post that stand out to me.

Personally:
    1. as it is all virtual, I do not see why mandating log-ins is required, you lose nothing for pre-paid time.
    2. as it is already time that is paid for, not providing the benefits of membership becomes a penalty.
    3. as it can only be provided to those that have membership, why should one become a recurring member if a disruption the benefits to an already paid for membership can occur?
    4. as not receiving the benefits of recurring memberships places one within the status of other free-to-play only members within the time frame they could not perform a log-in: will that then extend their time, as no benefits were provided? ie. Purchase 6 month membership on 01January, but not able to log-in all of March, will expiration of the 6 moth membership now be 31July instead of 30June?

Ashlanne, you asked that we take #3 under consideration, and I hope you can see I -and others- have with this post. Again, while I understand and agree with having game locked virtual currency provided (LP), I cannot understand why a downgrade to membership will occur after having paid for the membership solely because -life- has not allowed me to log in.
    • Like x 1
  18. igounfazed New Player

Can you see exactly what you are stating? Free WITH subscription? By definition: That is NOT free. Thus how it serves to 'entice' players to pay for a Legendary status/membership instead of remaining Free-to-Play. If they do not pay for, they will not get, the peperoni.

While it is a 'perk', it is not a 'free perk'. If it were free, all of the free-to-play customers would receive everything noted in the mash-up photo. But they don't because they need to distinguish themselves as paying members to receive those 'perks'.
  19. Wade Gray New Player

Mepps, when is the Mobile Mainframe App coming out? I thought it was suppose to come out the same day as the PS4?? What's the hold up??
  20. BigAl Devoted Player

Its free because, before they added those perks, we paying players didn't get them. We got the perk of playing the game. That is something new they added to get more people to sub. So yes, it is part of the package NOW, but there was a time when all you got for subbing was 30 days and access to DLCs.
    And you would still be receiving the perks, just you have to play to get them. After all, that IS why you paid, right?