Weird Inconsistency with Approved Iconic Names

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mo Kenway, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Mo Kenway Well-Known Player

So Im a Speedster fan who's collecting names and I really don't see why some names are legal and some are illegal most of it doesn't make any sense Im fine with iconic names not being allowed but the fact they let other slide it makes this whole iconic copyright name nonsense irrelevant.

You can have the name such as

Eobard Thawne
    Barry
    but not
    Wally West nor Wally
    Hunter nor Hunter Zolomon?

whats the deal with that?
  2. Eve YouTuber

I'm surprised about Eboard Thawne and about Barry since Diana is invalid.
    Wally West makes sense, but Wally probably falls into the same catagory as Diana.

I don't believe Iconic names at large will ever be available, but it does seem weird some works and some don't.
  3. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, it's weird. (I mean... look at my toon names). I do have one character I wanted to name Guardian Angel or at least some approximation of it but everything I tried was invalid. I had to resort to the absolute butchered name GAng3l and it's been bothering me ever since. I used to think it was because of Guardian since there is a DC character named that but since it's a single, common word that would be a bit extreme, especially given the character names it does let me have, and I've seen lots of people with the word guardian in their names. It's not "angel" because I have Celesteth3Angel and have seen many similar names. I do want to try to get him a better name sometime that's closer to his "canon name". Maybe it's banned as phrase, not sure.

This is part of why I wish they'd provide some kind of guide or list we could use to figure out what's making a name invalid instead of having to do a frag ton of guess work.
    • Like x 2
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Can't help but find it a bit unfair and over-the-top to ban "Diana" since that's also.... just a name. I get blocking "Wonder Woman" but Diana seems like a bit much IMHO. Guess anyone named Diana who wants to make themselves as a superhero..... they're just SOL because that's also Wonder Woman's name and apparently she's the only person in the entire world allowed to be named that. :p

Even that is inconsistent, though. I have HLADamian, StephFlamebird, JonEnkidu, and Tim JJE. I've also seen a million Batmans, Nightwings, Robins (primarily but not exclusively Tim and Damian), Red Hoods, Supermans, Supergirls, etc. with the characters' first and last (sometimes even middle) names somewhere in the name to the point enough of the arrangements are taken people have started having to butcher the names and use stuff like Timoth or Damon. But apparently Diana is a step too far.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. Eve YouTuber

Yeah, but Donna surprisingly is not banned. So It's very inconsistent. xD
    • Like x 1
  6. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Poor Donna always gets left behind in anything not directly Teen Titans related..... :(
    • Like x 1
  7. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Well, Barry doesn't necessarily have to refer to Barry Allen. It could be BARRY (last name Hubris), AKA The Other Tick! ;)

[IMG]
  8. Eve YouTuber

Diana could refer to a random woman on the street and It's still invalid lol
    • Like x 1
  9. Mo Kenway Well-Known Player

Letter with caps doesn't seem to make a difference either unless they banned some names with the caps variant
  10. myandria Item Storage

I guess some iconic names have a better WB/DC name licensing protection plan than others.
    • Like x 3
  11. Jcal Dedicated Player

Speak of the devil... I just saw Barry at the broker, lol.
    • Like x 2
  12. Mo Kenway Well-Known Player

Thats pretty ironic considering one of the flash villains are one of the most underrated villains who lack publicity, in no shape or form is hunter more important than eobard.
  13. myandria Item Storage

WB/DC has always been strange like that with their licensing agreements; only they know the rhyme and reason why they choose to protect some things better than others.
    • Like x 1
  14. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I can't even count all the variations I've seen on "ClarkKentSuperman" or "ClarkSupermanKent." But, as I learned from my villain AmethystObsidian, sometimes all you have to do is omit the space between forbidden words (as both "Amethyst" and "Obsidian" are forbidden, but "AmethystObsidian" is okay).
  15. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

That was something I tried, but alas Guardian Angel just would not get through.... IDK if it would be any different now, but I doubt it. Hopefully I can get SOMETHING better than GAng3l eventually, though. It sounds like a ****** FNAF OC that rips off Mangle!
    • Like x 1
  16. Skille Well-Known Player

I was shocked to see Barry floating around after the reclaim.

Dressed the part well too.
  17. Illumin411 Loyal Player

“Manhattan” is invalid :(. One couldn’t even be XxManhattanxX814 if they wanted. It can’t be correctly spelled anywhere in the name. So weird.
  18. SlNISTERSlX New Player

Exactly and why we see names like
    AquaLad
    John Constantine
    Eobard Thawne
    But Jaime Reyes taken away and went invalid
    ULtron invalid but not Ronan,still don't know why Aquaman invalid but not Aqualad,they both npc
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The filter has been manually assembled over a long period time. I assure you further scrutinization will only result in less names available, not more.
    • Like x 6
  20. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Oh, I don't think anybody's complaining that the filters are too lax. Just that what is not allowable is kind of weird, sometimes.