PS4 on the way, Fate of DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by blackwaterctd, Feb 17, 2013.

1. blackwaterctd New Player

Devs & Players,

With the announcement of PS4 only days away what are the future plans for DCUO and the new system?

Is DCUO only going to be a PC/PS3 title?

Will there be a way to transfer current characters to PS4 or PC?

I hope my thread can help developers decide which directions the player base would like to see the future of this game go...unless a DCUO 2 is in the works then I completely understand (wink wink).

Players please post your suggestions to devs.

Devs please post any info that you are able to.
    (We understand your situation as a dev, so even a little comforting would be HUGE)

Blackwater out.....
    • Like x 2
  2. NyteSkye New Player

If there comes a DCUO 2, then I would prefer if we could just transfer our characters to it... Maybe there can be a new level cap... I don't know, level 50? New stuff to do... Because... A lot of us have put in a lot of work for our characters, and to throw it all away just doesn't make sense...

Unless the new PS4 will let us download the original DC game, and maybe SOE can improve DC to function a lot better than it does on PS3, then they can very well do that. That way, we won't have to start so much from scratch, and we have DCUO to play on a better system and hopefully play it more smooth.
    • Like x 1
  3. blackwaterctd New Player

I agree, putting so much time and $$ into creating your characters would be a waste if a new system kills the current console.

I thinks devs should seriously consider the ability to at least be able to transfer characters to pc. They were able to merge servers, aI would think this would be along the same lines.
  4. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I really doubt there will be a DCUO 2. I would love for it to happen, but I don't think DCUO has been popular enough. This game had more to overcome than something like EverQuest; with our game, Sony had extra expense and profit loss due to the need to license the characters from DC Warner. DCUO would have needed to be a run away smash hit of WoW level to justify its cost, and that didn't happen. If Sony just loves the idea of this game, I see them going a City of Heroes route and just creating their own intellectual properties (with the advertising tag "From the creators of DCUO" to give them street cred). Cutting out the licensing fees and third party creative approvals would make a lukewarm performing game much easier to swallow.

That said, our full characters would not necessarily translate to a new DCUO game. DC Comics has a long standing tradition of rebooting its universe and retconning their characters back to a new start. In a DCUO 2, you may find yourself cursing the fact that your character is now a brooding loner who forgot to wear his underwear on the outside.
    • Like x 1
  5. Doc Holliday New Player

Multiple threads covering this already. /close
  6. Physique Dedicated Player

People are assuming that Sony will announce the PS4 this Wednesday but that is no guaranteed thing. It is what the hype that media speculators are saying. So far, Sony officially has said nothing. That said, I don't believe it will change much of anything for DCUO for quite some time mainly because, if anything, this is merely an announcement and nothing more. Until a hard date for release is given, the PS4 is vaporware.

In the meantime, even if the PS4 is coming, it won't be in the hands of the consumer until October / November at the earliest (in time for Christmas). That means that all of the planned DLC (Origin Crisis, Halls of Power, and Trials of Trigon / Trigon Rising) will still be out before any new console. Until then, we can only speculate. Another thing to remember is that DCUO is not a disc-locked game. The largest concern about the PS4 in speculative discussions has been whether or not older PS3 discs will be locked out from the new console. DCUO is a downloadable game and has been for close to a year and a half now since going free to play. Access to the download should not be an issue unless a whole new PSN marketplace is being introduced strictly in support of the PS4 (which would be dumb and kill off any sort of already obtainable revenue stream).

It is far, far, far too early to start thinking about DCUO 2 in any terms that aren't speculative as I'm sure the publisher and developer have already looked towards the future -- one would think they have at least some information regarding where Sony / PlayStation is going as they are closer to industry source than any of us are currently. Giving the publisher the benefit of the doubt, they are most likely under non-disclosure to say anything even if they had insider information and anything they would say regarding compliance could jeopardize their positioning with Sony presently. It is in SOE's best interest to let things play out, plan out their next move carefully, and then let us know in plenty of time.
  7. Yallander Loyal Player

Maybe they will just have a better platform for DCUO to be downloaded and played? IDK could be kinda cRaZi, but PC players are playing at higher settings all the time and I'd imagine the PS4 would just make lag less prominent and enable higher graphic settings.
    • Like x 1
  8. One_Man_Army New Player

Well, according to official numbers from last year, DCUO has at least ten times the player base that City of Heroes had at its height. If those numbers are true, DCUO actually is popular enough. WOW currently has over 10 million global players. According to last year's numbers, DCUO has around half that. How is that not popular enough?
  9. blackwaterctd New Player

I think a DCUO 2 is certainly an unlikly scenario.

(Side Note: Chromehouds for 360 def should have gotten a Chromehounds 2 IMO)

The fate of DCUO on the current console does pose a real problem. I urge all of you to voice your concerns, make it known that the people want a way to have their characters to live on past the PS3 life span. Although not up to us, perhaps the solutions suggested will give us some more time to enjoy this game.
  10. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

After downloading & installing DCUO onto a PS4, all users will be banned for speed hacking because the PS4 users will get better platform performance than PS3 users. :p
  11. Skille Well-Known Player

Good ole days
  12. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

THREAD NECRO!!!!!
    • Like x 4
  13. Tolly Committed Player

Were you bored today? :D

The time when players were still motivated and passionate.
    The time when leagues were lively and active.
    The time when the LFG channel was still crazy
    The time when you didn't need an event of the week to get players to come and play... Sadly, that's all a long way off now...
    • Like x 4
  14. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

There has never been an MMO in existence that let you transfer progress. They have always and only made you start from scratch every time. If DCUO did that, hell might freeze over but it also might be the start of a whole new amazing era. Not crossing fingers though heh.
    • Like x 1
  15. Skille Well-Known Player

16. Limey Committed Player

FFXI, FFXIV, and Dauntless would like a word.
    • Like x 1
  17. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Co-op RPGs are not MMOs. And I never heard that Final Fantasy let people bring progress over between games, since I thought only one of those was an MMO?
  18. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I didn't look at the date, and this thread had me very confused.
  19. thedemonocus Loyal Player

I thought dcuo was already on ps4
  20. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2