Why make us wait?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CaptainColdilocks, Apr 22, 2023.

1. CaptainColdilocks Dedicated Player

I may be a minority in saying that I honestly don’t mind farming bounties. I wouldn’t care if I had to farm it 500/1000 times IF they would spawn fast. Why on earth do I have to stand around and wait 5, 7, 10? minutes before a bounty spawns?

Any answer on why you’d want your player base sitting around doing absolutely nothing over and over and over? Increase the spawn time and increase the amount of bounties needed, please!!!
    • Like x 7
  2. KidKretz Committed Player

i think the gaming business model is always "keep em in our game as long as possible, therefore they have more of a chance of spending money here instead of elsewhere"

ofc i cant say for sure that is why they created this style of boss bounty awhile back and are reusing it now, but its def what businesses try to do.
    • Like x 4
  3. CaptainColdilocks Dedicated Player

Fully understand this, but the same could be accomplished while letting the players enjoy themselves as well. Again, I’d spam 1000 bounties over what’s currently going on: 2 minutes of burn, 10 minutes of waiting. Repeat for 50+ times… each bounty.
    • Like x 2
  4. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

The waiting has killed how much I play on my alts right now. I only planning on doing the bounty's and dailies on each one time a week and I will rotate which ones do the story. Last dlc I would run all through bounty's and raids but the slow bounty's spawn makes it a time killer. I have 33 alts and most are end game to mine op materials for game cash my goals this dlc is to make 10 billion but the slow bounty's spawn might hinder its a little
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

My understanding, and I may be completely wrong on this, is that the wait is kind of "traffic calming" mechanism, letting a crowd gather so those players soloing won't have to wait through 3-4 spawns before finding a group of sufficient size.
    • Like x 3
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can finish a boss with much less than 30 people.
  7. Limey Committed Player

If you're standing around/waiting for 10 minutes when bounties have a specific 6 minute timer between boss spawns, you've got bigger issues than a video game.

That being said... "why the wait?" it's keeping you ingame all day, right? That's the #1 non-revenue goal of F2P games.
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

So there are a few things to keep in mind when looking a this type of boss system.

1: the different bosses each have a feat attached to them

With this one, if they allowed players to kill said boss and then allow the boss to respawn without the need of a wait timer, than it would make it difficult for players who need a specific boss for their feat to get the one they need. Know, I know that “they could just do the whole cycle since they need to get all the bosses for the feat anyways”. But not everyone wants to spam these day one. Some want to play at their pace and/or have limited time to play. So they may want to just get on to during the time that they know said boss will spawn.

2: since these are on a timer for the above reasons (speculated) they must also have them with a timer that would allow different group sizes to complete them.

With this one we have to remember that there will be players who can’t get one at dlc launch (for whatever reason). Also, not every server is as populated as the primary servers (let’s face it, I’m talking about switch). So they can’t just make the wait timer shorter or it may make some servers not be able to beat all bosses.

3: this keeps players on longer.

Like it or not, it’s a business and player online time is a big form of “currency” for them.

On top of that. Why not use the time wisely and do other things at the same time? There are other open world feats you can do between bosses.
    • Like x 3
  9. myandria Item Storage

Hm.. "why make you wait?"

To reduce the number of players who will come to the forums complaining that they have nothing to do because they finished the content within 2 weeks and want to know when new content will drop. Just my opinion, of course.

As others have pointed out, there are feats to complete between spawns unless you've completed them already. I rather wait 5 to 10 minutes for a outdoor raid spawn than an hour or two, or three...
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

They are doing it to promote an artificial sense of 'something to do'. Even if you are not spamming, at some point, if you are interested in feats, either the bounties themselves or the accompanying items you need to buy with the currency...you WILL be sitting around for many hours to get them done.

So DI gets to take a victory lap on how much time the players are spending in game. Of course many will be doing laundry or watching 20+ back seasons of Dr Who....but hey. They WERE in online on the game.

Personally I'm probably only going to do 1 or maybe 2 rotations a week as I do my weekly bounties and daily work. I might snag the fearsome 5 if I'm in a good phase and doing dailies, but I doubt I'll hit the bounty counts or even the alt-currency feats before next year. Hopefully they will revisit the timers like they did with WV and LLL when they went into EEG...then I might finish off whatever I'm missing.

I tried standing around for one the other day on a 3rd alt for the evening. Fell asleep between Dr Light and the 5. Ah well. I'm sure they will be back around....in 30 min.
    • Like x 1
  11. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

You're being dramatic... you don't need to sit there. Consider it hub while you wait for an instance. You'll probably get 2 or 3 for every raid you enter. No rush.
    • Like x 1
  12. Limey Committed Player

Cyclonic is right, you're being overly dramatic. You are also overlooking one basic fact: nobody is forcing players to sit through multiple bounty rotations. Obsessively farming a new episode's bounties to finish the feats as quickly as possible is a choice by the players, and one perfect example of how so many players are very illogical and inefficient with their time. The 'race to finish all the new content' is a mentality made by the players, not the developers or the publisher.

Now let's look at rational logic: feats will be acquired naturally, without effort, by playing normally over time. How much do you actually need to play each week? Well, on your main you'll likely run approximately 4 rotations per week, to complete the 2 weekly missions, plus 200 tokens for the 8 source marks, and 1 stabilizer. Beyond that, the single Ep45 mark for the entire week means 1 single bounty every 2 days, which amounts to 8 individual bounties that would require a total waiting of 6 minutes assuming you enter right as the current boss spawns, and you don't reach them in time for credit.

So essentially 2 hours one day a week, and roughly 10 minutes every other day after that. For alts? 2 rotations, for the 2 weekly quests and the 8 source marks, for a total of 1 hour per alt, once a week, and again, 10 minutes every other day thereafter.

And that's ignoring the option to split up the rotations, where you could actually do 1 rotation every day, for a grand total of 30ish minutes every day, obtain all daily and weekly rewards, and still end up with an excess amount at the start of the next week, which you could then accumulate over time and spend on the generator mod plans without spending more than 30 minutes a day on Dakota City bounties.

Finally: ask yourself, is hating the waiting game and masochisticly subjecting yourself to said tedious grind that is more waiting than playing really worth getting those extra 3-5ish sp within the first 2 weeks of the episode?

You choose how to play the game, don't blame others for your choices.
    • Like x 3
  13. spikeat Well-Known Player

You don't have to wait for the next spawn, cause there's another bounty waiting for you in another phase. I've been completing 3-5 kills every 5 minutes from phasing. I'm in constant battle per cycle.
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That's not possible because each boss is pre-scheduled and on a timer. Unless you mean you're fighting one boss, phasing to a less populated phase and fighting that same boss over again before their timer runs out?
  15. spikeat Well-Known Player

Yes, that's what I did. I was able to complete the feat in a few hours.
    • Like x 2
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Brilliant. I would try that if I wasn't so afraid of my PS5 crashing.
  17. spikeat Well-Known Player

I had no disconnect issues on PS4.
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok, that covers 1 or 2 passes a week, and if the run takes 30 min, I get the same spot as when I left, which if it's after the fearsome5 is knocked out in a good phase, means about 6-7 min of wait till Jinx.

Oh, no wait. You are talking about running and re-running the current raid, so I can get my gear up in the first week of a DLC. Yeah....no rush indeed.....right?
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You seem to have missed the part where I said I WOULDN'T be playing the waiting game. 1 visit a week for 30 min, or MAYBE an extra one if I'm doing dailies in a good phase and one is up I can gank a quick kill on. But thanks for your advice on doing it how I already had decided to do things. It's why I said I probably wouldn't finish these till next year.

The point still stands. MANY people WILL stand around and farm these. Those people will put hours in doing it. Hours they may or may not have played if not farming these bounties. So artificially inflating the 'in game' time people play. And if you don't believe they are doing it, go to the Dakota area and count phases today. Then count them in 2 weeks. I think last night I saw 35 active phases...meanwhile I was queued for the raid for 20+ min....never popped before I switched to an alt. People ARE spamming the bounties...people are standing around (and yes...some are phase hopping...which will also dry up in a few weeks).
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Buddy DC'd on the Furious 5 last night. He's on PS5.