Body types

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Belfast, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Belfast New Player

Can I expect more custom body types in the future like Juggernaut, Hulk, ?
  2. SuperEpik Well-Known Player

Probably not. I think making a new body type is hard to do. Iirc, something about how the animations and armor need to be redone for the new body type? But I might be wrong on that.
    • Like x 7
  3. Pantheon Level 30

I'd love to see a genuine hulk-like body style. The large one they have feels lacking. Like, yeah, he's swole, but he lacks the same kind of intimating, overbearing stature that you would expect from such a character. Doomsday is the closest we see in a character, but that's about it.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

What SuperEpik said. If they add a new body type they would have to go back and remake each individual style piece to fit that new body type for small male, small female, medium male, medium female, large male, and large female. That's a lot of work.
    • Like x 4
  5. Belfast New Player

Not to say that I expected a different answer, but still I will say that it is sad. My fantasy often draws quite a lot of different images, quite classic for the superhero universe, but which, alas, will never be embodied in the only online game about superheroes in the entire universe.
  6. Starry Knight Active Player

Well, Juggernaut and Hulk wouldn't have happened anyway - they don't have the rights to those two.
  7. Zero303 Well-Known Player

nah its just lazyness. its just textures on polygon models. i hope so. im still wishing for a fat blob or titanic trenton body type.
    • Like x 1
  8. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

Sure, why not? just should wait for the proper capsule....
  9. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

OP was just using them as examples of the general kind of thing they wanted.

But yeah, I'd love more variation than just women getting longer and men getting rounder lmfao. The body type of a character is a big part of giving them personality and making them distinct. But as stated, it would unfortunately be very impractical with how the game is built. It's not quite like Sims where all the clothes were made specifically to be able to adapt to whatever shape you make a Sim. With DCUO, they're made to fit specific bodies and in specific ways.
  10. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Sorry but no. I mean I myself would want more body types especially for female toons to not have huge breast. It makes the emblems on the chest just look odd. Anyways, as others have pointed out, it has been discussed many times including myself. The thing is there is literally tons of styles out there and only those styles are programmed with the body types we have available. To add new body types would mean to adjust every single style for the new body types. Devs don't even want to do new powersets. This is no different.
    • Like x 1
  11. Pantheon Level 30

They don't have huge boobs. In fact, they're rather small, haha. Personally, I'd rather see better face customization options (jawline, nose shape, etc.).
  12. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Unless you mean the spry body.... those are not "rather small". I have them, so I know from... well.... existing. I do also want more face customization, but I'm definitely with Cat on that aspect. I find it kinda weird our options are tiny breasts that are easily hidden with a lot of chest styles or really big ones LMFAO. And yeah, as Cat says, they do mess with a lot of emblems.

And just to make it clear: I do not take issue with these character models at all and I am not saying women with such traits don't genuinely exist IRL, but I would like more range in bodies, including that feature, to really add even more character to my toons. And if you consider this "rather small" then I, as a woman, dread to think what you think "big" is...... o_O
    • Like x 3
  13. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

To quote from "Weird Science": "Give 'em the knee-shooters."

FWIW, I find that tall, muscular women tend to have smaller breasts than average-size women. Yet the tall, muscular body style has watermelons attached to its torso. It would be nice if DCUO was like other games that offer customization, and allow players to customize the body type, but that's not what the devs chose to go with in 2011, so it's not likely to change until DCUO2 (which probably won't be until sometime around the 12th of Never.)
    • Like x 2
  14. Eshmaki New Player

It's been stated many times. They will not provide any more body styles due to technical limitations and having to resize all the styles for new body types
  15. kallader Committed Player

I bet they do styles on 1 body size only the Athletic probably the smaller version and the model stay in T position then they just use the program to stretch or reduce the styles automatic to fit other body size .Look any style with scale on small body you see all detail then on large body you barely see the scale like if was pale and draw over with a pencil.
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They have to custom fit each style to each body type. Styles don't automatically stretch to bodies like in other games.
  17. Brit Loyal Player

Actually, I've pointed out a workaround to this that certain members of the art team seem to have been partially receptive to.

In game, there are numerous styles that replace the geometry of the skeleton figure. Examples like the Hook Hand, the Harpoon Hand, the Pegleg, the Headless Horseman Jacket, etc. A style piece is not obligated to be a skin that covers the default character; it can actually REPLACE the slot with a different appearance, even if the replacement appearance is not the same shape as the original.

The result is clipping. If you use a harpoon hand, and you use a dual wield weapon, you are going to be holding that off-hand sword in your harpoon hand, because while it renders as a harpoon with no actual hand, the invisible skeleton still acknowledges a hand that can close around a weapon. It can cause some weird renders.

And you know what? Nobody cares. Because if you picked "Harpoon Hand" and you picked "Dual Wield", you know what you were getting in for. If it clips, or it acts weird, or it renders awkwardly, you don't use those styles together, or you accept the weirdness.

So, the proposal: Winter Seasonal Item "Bowl Full of Jelly". A style piece that occupies that Chest slot, and gives the appearance of that fatter shape. I would not change your head, hands, legs, feet, etc. It is just the Chest slot, meaning the chest, belly, and arms, that would be affected. But, that big chubby upper body would be an option. Put it in a Slimline and slap a large Emblem slot on it for a very simple style, and anybody who wants to be a plus-sized hero can rejoice.

Yes, it absolutely will clip with certain other things. Likely weapons like Rifle and Staff that involve animations where your arms move around your body will see the arms moving THROUGH the expanded belly slot. And that is fine. We can accept that it is unrealistic to re-build every single style in the game to create a new body type. This one single style type will open up dozens of options that can significantly service those players.

Instead of asking for new Body Types, which we've been told aren't coming, a better solution is to ask for the piece that you want, just as it's own Style piece. Because a heavy-set torso is totally doable, even if a Titanic Trenton body-type is not.
    • Like x 2
  18. Irvynnge Loyal Player

the only body type I would really like is an androgynous sprite. or at the very least, let me have the ability to change the size of the boobies on a female toon. other than that, I'm cool. that said, if they ever want to add some new body types, of course I'll be all for it. assuming of course they don't end up in TC's like the new skins. in which case, no.
    • Like x 2
  19. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

Exactly!
    So much so that there are already several styles in the game, Minotaur, werewolf, headless body, etc.
    Another thing that already exists in the game and it wouldn't be necessary to redo any body, but it would make a big difference, is the pose that Bane uses!
    If we look, it's exactly her that differs (besides her size) him, and the rest of the rest of the game!
    So you don't need to change the body, just give us the pose they use...
  20. Pantheon Level 30

Well, attempting to address this respectfully, I grew up seeing tons of women with ... *ahem* "Double D" from Ed, Edd, and Eddy hanging out with them. (So to speak) I dated a long time friend who was a real .. G when it came to her "personality". She wasn't the only one I knew that was like that. So, I'm kinda used to ... big "personalities", I guess.

I get what you're saying, it would be cool to have the option to change that aspect of that characters for practical reasons. I never got the issue with the logos. I figured they would have had it in mind, when they made the models. But, maybe there was an oversight somewhere along the line. It would be cool to see a lean muscular body type, instead of the "barrel chested" style that they went for, now that I'm thinking about it. We could also use some more hairstyles as well, like a top knot dreadlocks/straight hair style.

[IMG]

(Something like this)