(Existing Powersets) strengths and weaknesses Rework/Update abilities!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Mar 26, 2023.

1. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Great ideas … especially the stepping forward one atomic has the same issue as with many other powers
    • Like x 2
  2. Raven Roth Committed Player

Adding onto what I said about Life Drain being replaced with a buff/ summoning ability, this is what I think the demon should look like:

[IMG]

someone else posted this recolored Avatar of Sin model and I think it fits
  3. FlexVibrant Well-Known Player

relook at Quantum.

Timebomb by the name of it should be one of Quantums strongest moves. The move itself has the quantum gimmick all over and all because it was essentially a 1 shot during the GUS days, it got nerfs to shreds in 2017.

It isn't a viable move for end game might dps and has no troll properties. I get prec is the meta. I have sick rotations with and without timebomb. But to be clear, Quantum isnt as exciting without timebomb. We not asking for a 1 shot but at least rework it. It isnt good doesnt work as intended. if Quantum was a top 5-8 might power I would say leave it alone. Timebomb wouldn't save Quantum but at least keep it mid so we can have more moves to use. The game gets stale, even prec eog dps are tired of repeating the same thing over and over.

same for singularity. Quantum got ignored since 2017.
  4. Tolly Committed Player

The problem with you is that you don't accept what is said, even when it is felt by a large number of the community, you want to make people hear what you have decided despite the numerous feedbacks contradicting you and every time you intervene on a subject with some conversation rival the subjects always turn into conflict...

Now I understand your nickname better :D
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Again.. numbers are what matter. A lot of people believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows. They can be as vocal as they want. Doesn’t make it right. If pekoe want to be vocal then why is it so hard to provide actual feedback. I even laid out a very simple way to provide feedback. Devs don’t listen to baseless claims. If 100 people came and said the same rung but refuse to provide actual feedback why should they be listened to? So bad bad players claim their power should be buffed because they can’t make a good loadout.
    • Like x 3
  6. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

My only feedback would be the current homogenization of how powers work imo killed the fun of the game. The compounding of changes (dovetails, weapon mastery, advanced mechanics, current build) all make the game suffer in my opinion. The day one toolset was the best. Yes it did need improvements but several heavy hands were taken. It should have stopped at the dovetailing which was a fair change. Now even when switching powers they all feel the same. The combo powers lost a lot of their uniqueness as well. Having powers be percentage modifiers was better to me than scaling based on power consumption and extra effects added.
    • Like x 1
  7. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Lot's of popcorn for this thread :D I do echo Ranmaru's comments, I am sorry to say but most of the community at large has no idea what balance means or how to go about it.

Powersets at their base are not that far off from eachother. 100% there are some that need to see changes but alot of the balance issues start when you incorporate a) supercharges b) the lack of diversity in weapon mastery/prec c) movement mode abilities. Single target damage is the underlying theme lacking amongst all powersets, which has led to a dependence on heat vision and freezing breath abilities.

Take Atomic for example, full of redundancies left over from Advanced Mechanics. Beta Surge/Neutron Bomb/Nuclear Blast are all aoe combos which leaves Atomic lacking on viable single target abilities. You also have the combo power issues impacting Atomic and Light left over from stats revamp. If atomic combos cost either -50% or no power together you'd eliminate the power sustainability issues between light and atomic.

You also have ability deficiencies that are just silly like the massive difference in dmg between Rage's Channel Hate and Fire's Absorb Heat where they are essentially the same ability. The Damage Cap on Quantum's Time Bomb that makes it an irrelevant ability/playstyle since stats revamp. Mental's Psychic Prison that for some reason is a 6s dot that applies no PI unlike all the other similar abilities like Wintery Tempest, Inferno and Gravity Well. You also have abilities that don't deal any damage or status effects on non-player npcs like Sorcery/Earth Offering/Fortify Golem which holds back their pet dps with its long and awkward animations.

The QOL fixes for powersets don't matter until the underlying issues are addressed first in Supercharges, Weapons and Movement modes, or powerset users will just fallback on those abilities or use them to further imbalance any QOL adjustments that did happen.
    • Like x 10
  8. lichking New Player

I'm downloading the game rn wat do u guys recommend powerset wise for a noob free to play
  9. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Well said. In fact I think you covering this in a video would be absolutely perfect insight. Who that be out of your content schedule to do so?
    • Like x 1
  10. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

You expect the devs to balance the game using... feelings? :confused: The community "felt" they were being forced to use Nature forms, so now the forms are 5000 SCs and Nature is less popular than ever. Careful what you wish for...
  11. Ash Inferno Well-Known Player

Well, as a might dps, there sure seems to be a large margine between might and precision as far as damage goes. But I can only compare my power set (an sadly, my skill lol) against other players which really doesn't give an accurate comparrison at all. Although I can say, getting caught in animation and not being able to cancel out of it is problematic. (i.e. absorb heat or ionic drain). Definitely not suggesting it be clipable, just cancelable. (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't)
    And also maybe weapon buffs should do might damage imho, though that might be a desire thing lol.
    • Like x 2
  12. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I actually miss percentage modifiers as well .. in some power sets it left a lot of room for interpretation
  13. zNot Loyal Player

wonder how we wanna have more build diversity if prec is supposed to be this good are we supposed to be using powers as DPS or just weapons mostly? the might side in general needs some more things speaking foritself (and ofcourse rebalance those powers that are underperforming) prec has so many advantages especially in elite where being mobile is a huge plus also superspeed amplifies prec further another thing that needs to be looked into.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Actually the issue is that quite routinely might players have no clue what they're doing and prec DPS is easier to master.

Gone are the days where prec routinely out performs might on every occasion, you just have to look at the fire and ice players, gadgets might players, I've even seen good quantum and Earth might players.

Two powers in particular have always been a little better for prec than others, elec and gadgets.

The reason you find more prec players however isn't because of strictly output potential it's because of slightly better maneuverability and the ability to perform better with less investment in the likes of skill points because prec DPS are less reliant upon power.

It would be false however to assert that a prec player will automatically beat a might player simply through virtue of being prec, that's simply not true.
    • Like x 5
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Super speed amplifies everything further, lets stop pretending it only amplifies precision, that's just not true.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Honestly I only just came in to this thread and the dogpile on Deity for just asking for some numbers is really weird...

I know there can be a feeling that the other person is wanting the data to attack you, but without providing it I'm not sure how any sort of constructive discussion can occur than isn't just more centred around feeling.

Feeling around how the game is performing is important but so are the numbers because usually somewhere, hidden in those numbers, is an explanation as to why your feeling what you are.

There's also no shame in being found to be doing something wrong, can't improve without being told.
    • Like x 4
  17. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

But the OP provided the numbers, didn't they?

There you have it, clear as day - Atomic needs to have its damage doubled. Questioning the validity of those numbers is just obvious trolling... :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The only issue with weapon buff granting any form of might buff (whether it be might buff or might ticks) is that it would limit builds even further for might players. At the moment a might loadout would consist of a SC (or a path to a SC), a pets (normally RSK), and 4 slots to do a solid rotation. Abilities that clip do not (normally) deal damage and abilities that do damage can not (normally clip. And since you can only use 1 ability at a time it means that you have 4 slots to do a rotation that doesn’t leave a gap.

Think of it this way. If you have 3 abilities with 3 second cooldown each it means that you can use the 3 abilities back to back without a gap in the rotation. This leaves 1 slot open. However most rotations consist of 1-2 abilities that can be used between stronger abilities (that also tend to have longer cooldowns). So if you are forced to use a weapon buff then you’d have to do a 3 power rotation. This would mean most powers would have to compensate by using a less damaging spam ability in place of a stronger ability in order to not leave a gap.

On top of that, this would be a direct buff to prec dps since they would already have the weapon buff. This would mean that they could benefit from whatever buff the might players would use on top of the normal prec buff. You could argue that they could just give all powers a new ability that does this that isn’t a weapon buff, but prec would also have the option in adding this to their loadouts and clip both this and the weapon buff together. A buff like this would need to be significant enough for might players to justify using it in their loadouts. But anything that’s this significant would just be used by prec.
    • Like x 4
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

A video or screenshots of his parses would have been better. The Atomic loadout he quoted doesn't look right and I wonder if that's intentional? Or perhaps he doesn't know how to put a decent loadout together and we're just comparing numbers of various bad loadouts?
    • Like x 4
  20. Proxystar #Perception

No, because I agree with Deity, no one tests with a 31s rotation.

Also I have to laugh a little at the loadout comparisons and things being thrown around, I mean totem as Earth, because it gives a negligible DoT...

I mean come on, I consider it's use as a tank occasionally if I'm desperate to keep Brick alive and should really be doing jackhammer, but Earth dps aren't using totem, even if it is a DoT.

If you're going to start testing dps output potential do yourself a favor and at least look up decent builds.

Im sympathetic of the fact atomic could be better, I was certainly one of the first highlighting the fact there's probably issues when you look at census data, but let's not pretend there isn't also an element of user error and the perception of power difficulty also leads to participation drop off, not just actual potential.

Atomic is harder to play than electricity for example so even if the potential was there players will still gravitate to electric.
    • Like x 4